Guest viewing is limited

THR Counting My Blessings

This is a completely unrelated, random question for any of the forum members who have dealt with long term numbness around the area of their incision from a total hip replacement.

My right hip was replaced nearly 5 years ago and it was a fairly easy, uncomplicated recovery----and completely life changing. Best decision ever!

Following surgery, I had about a 2 inch area around my incision that after healing was basically numb. That didn't change until about 1 1/2-2 years after my surgery, when some feeling returned. I'd been told feeling should return by 6 months to 1 year at most, so the return of some feeling was pretty late.

However, I still do not have complete sensation in the area. I haven't also had shooting pain (or any pain) that some people describe, so it's not really a problem---just something I am curious about. Is this a fairly common occurrence? Is it just from nerves being cut that didn't repair?
 
@Debru4 Nice to see you here again!

The numbness you are describing is very common - especially post anterior approach surgery. In some cases the feeling returns. But it does take one year or longer (not sure why you were told 6 months - 1 year). We do see members who have long term numbness. Nerves get damaged or traumatised.

If it's not bothering you I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like your recovery was a complete success despite this issue!
 
Yes, occasionally I have some numbness in the area. My ankle surgery was almost 4 years ago and my three last toes go numb as soon as I sit down, fine as long as I'm up and moving. When I saw my ankle surgeon about a year ago he explained some nerves just never reconnect properly and the ankle was broken in 3 places and required hardware on both sides plus rod though back of ankle to stabilize so lots of stuff in there. I did have rod removed about 6 months after original surgery that improved my range of motion. I have a screw in bone part of the ankle that sticks out a bit and last year he mentioned taking it out...nope, not bothering me so let it be.
 
Hi Debru,
I recall, Josephine, I know you remember her, mentioning she had an area of numbness for years. She lost focus on it at some point and mentioned five years post op she realized it was finally gone. I realize you’re at that point now, but possibly that numb area will not come back, which I’m certain you can comfortably live with.

I did a little bit of research on this topic awhile back and found the following -

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

You’re not the only member that’s complained about numbness lasting beyond a year. I guess it may be one of the complications we risk in scheduling surgery, albeit a minor one compared to some other misfortune we’ve read about here. Glad to read all else is well and you consider your THR the best decision ever!
@Debru4
 
Not anterior THR but I had 2 prior hip operations way before having a THR. The incision for those was lateral and it's been over 50 years and the spot is still numb. I don't think about it but your post made me rub it. I had knee surgery about 20 years ago and the surgeon told me pre-op I might have numbness but in that case it went away.
 
I had anterior 7 months agao. My thigh and upper leg are still numb. I had shoulder surgery when I was 27. I can honestly say it is no longer numb to touch but it probably took 15yrs.
 
Quick "numbness update"----On my 5th hip replacement anniversary, August 3, I was stung by a wasp right in the area that had formerly been totally numb, and later had progressed to decreased feeling. Well, I felt that wasp sting big time! The area still has decreased sensation, but obviously enough for me to recognize pain....who would ever think I was excited to have some pain in that area?!?!:heehee: Each year on my "hip anniversary" I celebrate--even this year with my wasp bite. So glad I had the hip replaced!:loveshwr:

I had a chance to do some hiking the in Rocky Mountains and Snowy Range this summer---mostly easy to intermediate, but some had pretty good distance and elevation increases. Happy to report I did just fine, with no increased pain from the hip replacement.....just a little regular hiking burn in my legs that quickly left when we finished the hikes. :)
 
@Mr.fun ----That is amazing that feeling did return after 15 years. I'm sure it was a slow, gradual process, which seems to be happening with my thigh as well. When it was still totally numb after a couple of years I just assume it would be like that forever. I am pleasantly surprised to note that feeling is returning, even though it still has that weird "sort of numb/different" feeling to it. The whole process of how we heal is fascinating!

@Eman85 --Funny, but when I just read your post about how you rubbed your numb spot after reading about mine, I did the same thing. :heehee: I understand that anterior surgeries are more likely to have lingering numbness--is that the area your previous surgeries were in prior to your replacements?
 
Hi Debra!

Lovely to see you here. My left hip is doing fine. Right hip still has numbness around the scar 5 weeks out but guess to be expected..
 
Hi there @SurreyGirl ---good to hear from you as well! You had your left hip done about a week before I did---always fun to see a familiar name pop up.

Even though my recovery went well overall, there were still so many things that popped up that I felt unprepared for since it was my first replacement and I appreciated the support of the staff and members here on the forum. Sometimes just having someone commiserate can be so helpful.:friends:

I believe you were a musician and had to commute a distance to work? Are you still doing that? When will you return to work with your "new" hip? Were your surgeries anterior or posterior?
 
:wave: Hi Debru,
I am responding on your thread to a post of yours I read elsewhere on the forum.

I am sorry you're in need of an additional joint replacement. It's unfortunate that you were told a Left THR would likely never be necessary. Possibly he meant that there was no sign at that time that you'd need a replacement in the foreseeable future. We do know hip degeneration can remain stable for years and then worsen due to many different reasons. Since this isn't your first joint replacement, you have an idea of what to expect. I hope this surgery goes as smoothly as the first and gets you back on your feet quickly.

You've probably noticed we've shifted into a membership model and I'd like to encourage you to take your membership to the next level and join us on the Hip Pre-Op Forum as you prepare for your August surgery and recovery. We're thankful you're a part of the community and your support of others is part of what makes the BoneSmart experience so special. For an enhanced experience here, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer. If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us. Let us know the exact date of your THR and we'll add you to the August team thread and update your signature.

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, you have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to start your own threads and engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading unlocks full access to all forum features, also providing valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey.

Here is a link to check it out -> Become an Insider
Please join us! :)
@Debru4
 
Thanks @Layla for your note. I just joined the Insiders Club--I have no doubt the extra information and access will be helpful as I go through this next hip replacement! I agree 100% that 8 years ago the doctor was sharing what he saw at the time, and likely was so surprised not to see the left hip right behind the right hip, as so often happens, that I think he let his excitement get the best of him. :heehee:

My surgery is scheduled for August 5, almost 8 years to the day after my previous one. I am 8 years older, and have to remind myself to think positively and assume this one will go smoothly, but also to accept that it might go differently due to my age, a different surgeon, and a different hip. Right now, I am in a good place. Once I have that surgery and I get on here, will I be able to switch to a new heading for my account, and yet keep the previous posts, or will I need to start completely over? I'd like to have those as a resource to look back on, if possible.

Thanks again, for your your time and encouragement.
 
@Debru4
Best of luck with your upcoming 2nd surgery. No two hips are alike just like no two people are alike. Recovery will be different but you have experience on your side even if it was 8 years ago. No matter we will be here to help you along with our own journeys, support & encouragement.
 
Good Morning Debru,
Thank you for joining the Insiders! We appreciate your support.

I'm betting you'll have a smooth recovery. It's understandable that you'll wonder given the reasons you sited, but it doesn't mean you won't do just as well, or even better than last time.

Once I have that surgery and I get on here, will I be able to switch to a new heading for my account, and yet keep the previous posts, or will I need to start completely over? I'd like to have those as a resource to look back on, if possible.
If it interests you, you can start a thread on the Hip Pre-Op Forum right now, leading up to your surgery where you'll be able to post any pre-op questions you have and get to know those having surgery around the time you are. We have some pre-op information we can leave you there. Link is -> HERE

Once you're in recovery, you'll have the option of posting your Left THR recovery on your original Right THR thread, or you can start a new thread. If you decide to have both recoveries on the same thread, you can choose a new title and we will change it for you. If you start a new thread, your old one will remain on the forum, it won't disappear. Hopefully this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

With only a little over a month to go, I wish you comfort as you await your surgery date.
A great weekend to you! :)
 
I am 8 years older, and have to remind myself to think positively and assume this one will go smoothly, but also to accept that it might go differently due to my age, a different surgeon, and a different hip.
Try to be positive about this upcoming surgery. My two hip replacements were 7 years apart and, honestly, I found the second recovery was easier and quicker than the first (and I'm two years older that you!) Some of that was the fact that knowing what to expect allowed me to relax and ride the recovery roller coaster.

I also focused on preparing my body about two months prior to surgery by doing some pre-hab with my PT and by following the nutrition recommendations you'll find here: Pre-surgery Dietary Tips and Nutrition Basics .

And, of course, we'll be here for you!
 
It's surgery week. It is finally here. Just think, a week from now you'll be home in your comfy spot healing.
How are you feeling these days? I hope the pain is manageable and you're able to get comfortable as you wait out the days until Wednesday. Take care, Debru!
@Debru4
 
Thanks for the encouragement @Layla! Despite this hip being worse than my first one eight years ago, I've actually had a bit less pain with it, but I will be so glad when this surgery is done! I had to stop taking my Celebrex several days ago, and boy can I tell how much it was helping. I'm feeling pretty anxious about the surgery due to all the trouble I had with medication the first 5 days last time. After the pain meds had left my system, I had a pretty smooth recovery, but oh my---those first days were awful. My surgeon feels quite confident that the combination of Journavx, Celebrex, and Acetaminophen will lead to a much better experience. I'm going to think positively, and believe it will! :SUNsmile: I'll check in once the surgery is done and I'm feeling like getting online! Thanks again!:loveshwr:
 
Sounds like your OS is right on it, and I’m sure he’s right. We don’t have Journaxv in the Uk yet, I wish we did. Wishing you well with it all. We are here for you.
 
Will be thinking of you and watching for your first update once you're post op.
I'm glad you raised your concerns with your surgeon and you're choosing to think positively about the combo of meds he's recommending. Wishing you a smooth surgery, and an easy recovery.
See you on the flip side, Debru! :friends:
@Debru4
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom