THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised a hula hoop and skipping rope are still in my Amazon basket. They might stay there a while yet. I am doing nothing but haven't had time to look at the wheelchair or sitting exercises on YouTube where does the time go? I have been non weight bearing for three full weeks now about six to go.

I looked at my hip scar this morning it looks good, despite all the stress on the hip at the moment.
 
Six months post hip op today!
An up and down journey but my hip op has been totally successful. It is strong and causes no problems other than getting tired when over worked. From about 3 months I started to marvel at things I could do without thinking and generally getting on with life. My scar is not as clear or invisible as others because I had an infection in it and a little red and bumpy but not too bad. I would not ever believe that my fears and phobias would not be realised, so very happy.

(My now broken foot is another story!)
 
@copsham ... You are, without a doubt, an inspiration for everyone of us, with all that you have accomplished and suffered with. God bless you. And, now let the healing continue with your foot!:flwrysmile::cheers:
 
@Nana757 Had my Drive knee walker delivered today - rental - to try it out. i hope it is as successful for me as it was for you. Haven't got it out of its box yet will look at it in the morning. I am in bed 4 am thinking I must go to the bathroom, but have I got the energy to hop there with the frame - hopefully the knee walker will help.

My one strange thing is that I react badly to morphine and codeine and find Paracetamol very effective. I must have a high pain threshold too. So although this Lisfranc fracture is said to be so painful, I have been able to control it well (thanks to the Bonesmart education!)
 
Hi Karen @copsham WELL!! I finally found time to leave you some lurve :heehee: Haven't YOU been a busy girl!! and not in a good way :snork: I've been thinking about leaving you a little post since you fell down your step (I wonder if it's why they call them "stoops" in the US... 'coz you feel STOOPid when you fall down 'em :rotfl: ) but didn't realize just how serious, no that sounds too dramatic, how COMPLICATED it had all become for you...... I'm SO sorry you're going through this stuff :groan:you really don't deserve it (not sure I know anyone that DOES deserve it but you know what I mean... you've been such a light in the lives of other recovering addicts, I mean THR recipients, that you really should have had a good run)

If it's any consolation my bum still hurts :loll: Nah, it's nowhere near as bad, but I do have a chest infection - courtesy of bragging about "never getting sick", I think I've said before the Universe doesn't like braggers. I got it (probably, who really knows) from my grandkids. I remember years ago listening to a Bill Cosby (I know, he's persona non gratia now, but not then!) tape and he was saying there's nothing more terrifying than a two year old with a cold, following you around the house with a runny nose saying "I wanna a kiss"... I can tell you now there IS... two year old TWINS with a cold etc We've been looking after the little guys a lot as there is so much bad stuff going on in their family life right now, not personal issues, what we would call First World Problems; I thought to distract you I'd share the sorry saga:

The plaster on their ENTIRE home failed, it was still under the Builder's guarantee when it first became apparent that major repair was going to be required... they tried "bodging" it up when the twins were a few months old, dismal failure and it has taken my son and DIL 18 months (and a lawyer) to get the builder (for whom my DIL worked at the time, she's resigned too embarrassing!!) to do the job properly.

Now in this case I use the term"properly" loosely, as it has been a shamozzle from Day 1. They had to be moved out into long term rental (builder's paying, so they tried to get them to stay in some dump at first, but my son is his mother's son and THAT wasn't going to happen; he said, I have a five year old five bedroom pristine home, that's what I intend to live in for the duration") they couldn't get one place for the nine weeks they allocated for the repair, so they had to move to one place for five weeks then move again to the place they're in for ostensibly four more. Nice houses both, but not home, and miles away from where they live which is close to us. The moving company they sent was called "Cheap Removals" :yikes: If it had been "Affordable" my son MAY have gone for it, but he paid extra and got his own movers.

What happens if it runs over schedule asks son, it won't says supervisor, NINE weeks on from that, five weeks over-schedule they're still not back in - that's a total of 14 weeks, with two year old twins and a business run from home... he is having to drive to a yard where he keeps his truck (a friend kindly lets him use yard space) then to his home where his machinery is kept then on to wherever his work is for the day... reverse procedure in the evening adding an hour and a half to every working day, he hardly sees his kids.

The repairers then covered the tiled floors (porcelain, can't get them any more, cost a mint, please be careful) - didn't cover the edges, fight with builder. Pulled up the carpets and threw them into the garage, don't they need to be rolled up asks Matt, mind your business was essentially the reply. Chip all the plaster off the walls... well that was easy the plasterer says, I only needed a PAINT SCRAPER and it fell off! Well, duh, we told you it was a problem. Could you please put something in the spa to stop the shards of plaster chipping it, geez you're fussy says plasterer/builder. Hmm, thinking we might be on different pages re what's expected out of this!

House gets re-plastered. Send in the painters... walls are too wet, I won't paint until they're drier or it will just peel off, fair enough. Send in the tiler... he re-tiles shower without damp proofing, chip off tiles, retiles, wrong tiles, re-tile, wrong bond.... ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Re-tile. Painter repaints doors and frames as they have been damaged, wrong paint; wrong colour, wrong finish; his email said "white or off white" so he went white... didn't think to ask, or even look at what was on there to start with... and what does "off white" mean anyway, the devil's in the detail. Finally walls are dry enough to repaint, you guessed it WRONG COLOUR, WRONG FINISH... they're getting redone this week. Sort of good really because when they went to put the carpet back in it's ruined... should have been rolled up instead of chucked in a heap, who knew? Well my son actually, you know the fussy one.:tantrum2:

Order new carpet, they all come from the Eastern States, as usual, so next week... fine. DIL happens to get copy of email with details of "her" order sent between carpet shop and manufacturer... WRONG carpet, she rings them straight away to tell them, gets an earful about how there's no recourse for change of mind, I haven't changed my mind, look here's MY email ordering the carpet I want. Well that one (only that colour, none of the rest in the range, yeah right!) has to come from New Zealand so you'll have to wait until mid August, we won't pay for your accommodation (my son can't cope that long either) so you'll have to move back in without carpet. In the middle of our winter, with two year old twins, errrr, NO.

So the situation as of today is that the (disgruntled) painter is repainting the walls today, new robes (they butchered the old ones when they tried refitting them, sigh, are going in today or tomorrow, the carpet for the front of the house is being fitted next Wednesday and the trashed carpet is being put back in to the rear of the house with the folds and torn joins until the new carpet for that area arrives and can be fitted. At which point I'm sure, a fresh fight begins!!

All of these delays, disputes, moves and drama have involved us babysitting the kids, and we've been trying to give my son and DIL some free time as the STRESS has been horrendous!! They've been falling sick and dealing with it all with two little ones out of their routine has not been easy, my DIL is a BRICK, I would have been a gooey mess long before this for sure. But now, after looking after two snot machines last weekend, I have a chest infection, boo hoo poor me :rotfl:

... and that's the end of the story :rotfl: Well, hope it is, or will be when they move next weekend.

The really GOOD news out of all this is, once again it's been proven, WE SURVIVE.... and the hip's been really well behaved (mmm, when I think of it maybe my tendinitis is good because I've been taking Paracetemol regularly for the virus!) or maybe it's finally on it's way out!! Live in hope!

Fifi came up last week to visit all the family, it's the first time we've seen her since her op - she's doing really well!! We went shopping together with my Mum to buy something for Fi's new grandaughter born while she was up, which was nice. Baby was born on her due date, which is quite unusual, and Fi thought she may miss out if her DIL went too far overdue (there's only so long Fi can be away from the bush, it calls her like a siren, lol) She's taken her 10 year old and her 4 year old grandsons (one baby's brother, one cousin) back down with her for a few weeks, so you can see she's got confidence in that new hip!!:egypdance:

Look after yourself, and to think positively, you should be safe from falls laying on that there sofa:wink: by the by, Tramadol (though it sounds like you don't really need it) was FAB for me, so much better than the Oxy whatevers!!

Seriously, hope you're coping okay, sending cyber hugs from the land down under

Donna :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@craftdee just woke up...again...4 hours sleep....again. First thought Bonesmart and I read your story. My word what an absolute nightmare for your son and family. And you with the 'snot machines'.....but it did lighten my day reading it. I have no idea why though!! You are very good the way you put things in writing. :tada: on fact I am going to read your recovery too.

@copsham so glad your hip is bearing up under its new job of supporting and hopping for your poorly foot. I am going to look up what a knee walker is as it sounds like a good idea, have an image in my head of one!! I hope it helps you.

Keep being strong xxx
 
Hiya coppers, I'm going to google the knee walker thingmabob, I have a pic in head of Wallace and Gromit and the wrong trews.
I'm not surprised you have a higher pain threshold, as you are good at compartmentalisation. That's why mysteries draw and infuriate you, but then I'm often wrong. OK .I'm off to the land of google.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Writing about "Bonesmart education" i decided to note the things that I have learnt through my hip replacement.

Patience - a steep learning curve for me
Not to be stoical about pain - get ahead of it
Ice and elevation - their value in relation to pain and swelling
How to accept support!!

Written when I could not sleep at 4 in the morning post later!
 
Hi @Legin I am not sure about Wallace and Grommit. I prefer Supergran myself.
I don't know anything about pain thresholds you set me thinking so must google it.
A thought - you referred to the "land of google" what we possibly miss when we are at our worse is the "land of people" and a profound thought - Bonesmart gets us in the the "land of people" with out us having to get out of the house!
[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread
 
Hi @craftdee
Lovely to hear from you. Being laid up elevating and non weight bearing for 12 weeks is an ordeal. I am in my fourth week now. Everyday I have times when I feel really positive and later really gloomy but I always think there are lots of people worse of than me.
[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread
Your poor son and family a real nightmare - very different from my saga and I think I will stick with mine. I would be much worse with your son's experience than mine! We bought our house 2 years ago to renovate. The builders were fantastic. The only problem was the 6 month project over ran by 2 months but they were so skilful it was a good experience. I really missed them when they finished. I don't think your son will.

One thing we have in common is 'snotty" grandchildren. You made me laugh. My 4 yr old is excellent at an odd wipe of the nose on MY sleeve. I love him - he buried his treasure - a piece of plastic piping in the garden as it might turn in to chocolate over night. I think we all need a bit of magical thinking.

Say hello to @FiFi glad she is well. x
 
@copsham: so glad you got your knee walker and I'm sure it will do the trick for you. One of word of warning though..you will get muscle soreness on the leg that powers your "walk", which in this case will be your new hip leg....but on the other hand, that could be a good thing. It will force your new hip leg to tighten them muscles up. Down side, if it hasn't happened already, your broken foot leg will atrophy, but will repair itself quickly once your able to walk on it. I am so glad to hear your pain level is at a minimum. I do remember my extreme pain only lasted a couple of weeks and every day was an improvement. I had a plate and 4 screws put in my foot and had to use a bone stimulator to jump start the healing process, since I had minor osteoporosis. Sounds like you are doing great..best of luck to you.
@craftdee : what an ordeal your son and family are going through. I have to admit I did chuckle a couple of times....sorry...it so sounds like some of the fly-by-night builders/construction workers we have in my area. Pitiful, that they think it's Ok to overlook things that make homes safe and sound. Hope everything turns out well for them.
 
@Nana757 Thanks for those comments re knee walker - very helpful. I will let you know tomorrow how it goes.
 
Hey coppersi googled the walker thingmabob it looks cool, made me think where the nearest big hill. You would be amazed at the different contraptions I HV used to get down hills fast.
Re foot and atrophy yup but its easy sorted with patience I was non weight bearing for over 20 weeks with snapped achillies.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin can you imagine, going down hill, brakes on, head over heals ...... I just hope my op hip will cope with it - should do!
 
@Legin 20 weeks non weight bearing - you lived to tell the tale? Must have been very painful as well as mind numbing - no I am getting confused with NWB and total elevation which I have for one more week and being NWB with crutches
@Nana757 what is a bone stimulator?
x
 
When I was young and had hair I went down a ramp standing on the front end of over 50 stupermarket trollies, I was steering the train.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham: the bone stimulator I was prescribed was made by "exogen" and it was simply to use. It was recommended by my podiatrist since my 5th metatarsal was not healing quickly enough due to osteoporosis and low calcium and vitamin D. It is designed to stimulate/speed up bone growth and healing process through ultrasound. I used it 2x day for 20 minutes at each application. There was absolutely no pain with using it and it did work for me. However, it can be expensive if it is not covered by insurance. (Several hundred dollars)
On another note...my best friend became the knee walker. It allowed me to be much more mobile and I got to the point that I could zip through grocery stores in no time. It was quite hilarious at times, watching this 65 yr old woman zipping through the stores and at the office (when I finally was able to get back to work). It also helped getting around the house to and from the bathroom, etc. I got very proficient at it and could not imagine my life without it, at times. But, alas, I retired it to the garage once my weight bearing restrictions were lifted. I hope it works well for you and eases some of your angst.:vespa:
 
@Legin I had a more sedate use of supermarket trolley, before hip op it was a much needed walking aid!
@Nana757 my bone healing has not become a problem yet but if so will be worth looking at.
@Suzette It 's the non sleeping night shift here!

I tried the walker and it is potentially useful have decided to use it minimally for a week or so. I have outpatient appointment next Friday when cast will be taken off, wound assessed, Xray taken and cast put back on again. I think I should not use it much until the incision is healed a bit more.

I have had no pain at all or rather well controlled by paracetamol. I forgot todays morning paracetamol, left out the lunch one, but by the evening it felt really uncomfortable. It was silly to try it so soon. The cast is getting really annoying I just want to stretch my ankle and can't. Itches with in the plaster drive me mad too.

My hip gives little protests just to let me know it is there. Usually when I am standing on one leg and turning round to reach something e.g. at the bathroom sink reaching for a towel. It feels just a little bit muscular, nothing serious but i feel a bit concerned about it , although so far so good.

Just noticed @Suzette you are in your fifth week post hip op. That seems to have gone quickly but may be it seems long to you? Be in touch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom