Revision THR Continuing left hip pain

Ok, I had my initial appointment with pain management today. It went well. The Dr. really seemed to know what I was talking about and understood. He is going to start off with trying a femoral nerve block twice to see if that helps. If it does, there is something he can do to those nerves to make it last for months. If not, then we will check it off and move on and then try the tendon injection. He gave me hope and that is the first time in a long time my soul felt better. fingers crossed!
 
I'll cross my fingers for you as well! I'm glad they're looking at a few different things and not laser focused on something like the pain management doc was with me. I still have some twinges and pain but it's night and day for me before and after tendon injection. Now I'm primarily dealing with the atrophy from the last few months.
 
:fingersx::fingersx: double fingers crossed @ebair23
I know you are glad someone is going to do Something!
:praying: for some relief for you soon!
 
Hi there :wave:
Thankfully you're feeling hopeful, it helps to have someone who listens, understands and has a plan of action.
I wish you all the best. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@ebair23
 
Oh @ebair23 - I am sorry to hear that you are going through all of this. Your story, with the exception of having the anterior approach, sounds much like mine.

All I kept hearing was that “it takes a year to heal” and “your X-ray looks perfect, there’s nothing wrong”.

My surgeon sent me to pain management as well. Started with a back injection in the L4-5 area which did nothing. Then progressed to a femoral/obturator nerve block. This didn’t give much relief either.

The procedure that they mentioned that would give you months of relief is (I’m guessing ) would be a nerve ablation. They mentioned that to me and I declined.

I had a CT done where it was discovered that one of the screws was protruding into the psoas. The radiology report totally missed this! It was a revision surgeon that diagnosed it!

The revisionist then ordered an injection done under CT directly at the tip of the screw that was protruding into the psoas. This was done to confirm that it really was the screw causing the issue. I got about a week of relief from this.

I went on to have the screw removed.

My thread outlines the whole journey- ups, downs, etc.

I do hope you find a solution to what is causing all of this pain. We are rooting for you!
 
Well, Ok..... This is where I am now. I got my first femoral nerve block this last Monday. It didn't seem to help any. I am scheduled for another this coming Monday and then I have an appt with my pain management dr. directly after the block. I was really thinking maybe this would help, but I am now back at the starting point again. I am thankful that these doctors seem to want to help and don't think I am just being a baby about the pain. I just hope something ends up helping. I am having a rough time thinking about spending another 40-50 years in this much pain. Thank you all. I keep trudging along.
 
Oh @ebair23 - I'm sorry to hear that the nerve block didn't help. At least you have found doctors who really are trying to find a solution to your pain.

Hang in there - it can and will get better. Wishing that they will find a solution soon.

Take care...
 
I hope you find answers soon. Maybe seeing a chiropractor would help. I found a Groupon for a massage that included a pain consultation with the chiropractor. He found that my pelvis isn’t aligned properly and is helping with some treatments for my hip and leg muscles to “ wake up”. I’ve only had 2 visits but it sounds promising.
 
Sorry the first nerve block didn't help. Hopefully the next one will. If not, it's reassuring you have a doctor who seems determined to help you. Wishing you answers and comfort in the interim.
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!
@ebair23
 
C'mon @ebair23 - Marvy and I are (hopefully) heading down the right path now. We need you to be one of the 3 Amigos! I'm sorry the first block didn't work. I'll be hoping and praying they find the answer soon!
 
@ebair23 :sigh: I hate to hear this.
:fingersx::fingersx: for Monday!

Will be praying for successful procedure!:praying:
 
Ok, So the Doc decided that since the first nerve block did nothing, he would try to do a block on the ilioinguinal nerve. This worked well... Finally some relief!!! So, for insurance reasons I have to get two injections and if they work, then they will do an rfa. Crossing my fingers for some relief.
 
Wow - finally some progress for you! Well done! Easy does it now. Fingers crossed for you! :fingersx:
 
I'm so glad to hear that you may finally have an answer! Even temporary relief is relief and cause for celebration. Temporary relief means they're on the right path to finding permanent relief!
 
:yes!:Thank goodness...I was scared to ask:unsure:
Be gentle with that hip as all is settling...
Hope you are able to get some much needed sleep!:sleeep:
 
Wonderful news!
Thanks for sharing. Best wishes it only gets better.
@ebair23
 
@ebair23 - how's it going? It's been almost a month since you posted. Are you still getting good relief from the nerve block or are you waiting for the radio frequency ablation? When my pain doc decided I had facet syndrome because of back pain (that was, ironically caused by the "therapy" she was having done to me) she was recommending RFA but said it was expensive so the insurance companies required proof of efficacy time 2 (i.e. 2 successful nerve blocks) before they would pay for it. Different nerve but my mother gets RFA for her back and it usually lasts a bit over a year so they're able to do another relatively soon after the last has worn off. Makes a huge difference for her.

Wishing and hoping for a better 2019 for you!
 
Thanks for the post. I am playing the waiting game. Due to my insurance I had to get the two blocks as you stated. My ablation is currently scheduled for January 25th. Sure hoping this helps. The blocks seemed to a bit. I am having new issues with my leg that I will have to address with my pain Dr next week at my appt. Now when I walk, not only does it hurt, but sometimes I feel very unstable and "wobbly" in my leg. Kinda like a rubber band. And other times it feels like someone is picking at my tendons as I walk. Lovely. Hope it is all the same. Thanks for the wishes and fingers crossed!
 
I'm sure any new sensation makes you anxious.
I do hope that all goes as planned:fingersx::fingersx: double fingers crossed!!!
 
Hi @ebair23
Sorry you're suffering with new issues. I hope the procedure on January 25th brings you relief.
It's been a long journey. With any luck 2019 will be pain free. We're rooting for you...please stay in touch.
A great weekend to you. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom