Revision THR Continuing left hip pain

Well...... I had my gp appt today. After listening to all of my worries and complaints, he has ordered a heart monitoring device for me to wear starting August 8th and for two weeks. I keep having major anxiety or something. Also, i got my Prozac bumped up to try and help with my emotions. My bp was high at the appt and he said he bets it's because of my pain levels. Just told me to alternate Ibuprofen and Tylenol. In Indiana, they don't like to give you much medicine for pain. Anyway, still struggling, but hopefully at some point i will feel better. I am just trying to figure out how long I am gonna wait until I call the ortho again. This pain is debilitating.
 
Hi @ebair23
I'm sorry you're suffering from major anxiety. It must be frustrating and miserable.
I'd call the Ortho now if your pain is as you described "debilitating". Why wait?
Prayers that the source of your pain is revealed and also for your peace of mind.
I hope you have a relaxing weekend.
 
ebair23 - I feel for you - all that pain. When you wrote about the stabbing pain, it reminded me of the pain
I felt when I was suffering from an inflamed Psoas. I over worked the muscle trying to regain strength in my
glutes and quads. It took a few months for it to calm down. Maybe ask your Dr to test you for that. It's a simple
leg lift test but very telling. I hope you feel better soon, very soon.
 
Four surgeries in 2 years is a lot of trauma to your hip muscles. The scopes you had although not as big as a surgery as hip replacement are not easy to recover from. Your leg is put in a traction table and basically pulled forward to allow access to the joint. You can imagine a muscle/muscles being pulled and held.

I think you are having soft tissue issues. How long was the hip replacement surgery date wise after the last scope on your left hip?

Good luck,

Larry
 
Just a little update. Almost 6 months out from my total hip replacement and still feeling bad. Tired all the time, pain in the groin, upper thigh and top of my knee. Its almost too much to take at times. I am wondering when i will feel ok again and have a good quality of life. :bawl:
 
I'm sorry you're still struggling with pain.
Wondering when you last spoke with your OS and what he has to offer?
You have the option of tagging Josephine again to let her weigh in. I'll leave that call up to you.
Wishing you comfort. I hope you find relief soon.
@ebair23
 
Hi @ebair23,

My history of how I got to a THR is similar to yours... though my scope doc was only willing to go in once. When I started experiencing pain again several years out, he basically said going in a second time would do more damage, and really, a THR is what I needed.

Anyway, I am only three weeks out from surgery (one day shy actually), and I have no idea how my recovery will progress... but in saying that, I wanted to see if I could suggest some things for you. First, please note that I am not a doctor or expert in anyway, so take what I write with a grain of salt.

Okay, so the way I see it, there are two distinct possibilities regarding your pain. First, is tendinitis of the hip flexor muscles (iliopsoas). This is very common after a scope due to the traction they put you in. Interestingly, of the folks I know who have had the scope (hockey buddies), none (including myself) have ever fully healed from the traction. Aways some lingering tightness. aAnd in truth, many of us had tightness and pain in the hip flexor before the scope... so perhaps is was an underlying symptom of the FAI. I think it is possible that THR aggravated this for you, or made it worse. Also, if the cup of your THR is sticking out ever so slightly, this can actually cause tendinitis. Josephine has some wonderful articles in the library on this and other forms of tendinitis that can result from a hip replacement. While rest is needed, you may benefit from a steroid injection. Have a read of the articles and perhaps discuss with your OS.

The second possibility that I think you should consider is that the pain you are feeling is not actually coming from your hip, but rather is being referred from your back. In my research leading up to my THR, I learned a great deal about the hip/back relationship... though it helped that for 15 years leading up to my scope, many docs (including multiple OSs) thought my pain was coming from my back. Anyway, nerve disc compression, sacrum lumberaization, and lower back muscle imbalance are apparently all quite common in hip OA patients. I think it is possible that the pain you are getting may actually be referred pain. It may be worth having your OS take an X-ray of your back to see if anything is going on there.

Okay, last suggestion for you. Since you had a scope previously, I assume your OS prescribed a chryotherapy unit. Mine did. I used it all the time after activity (for the 7 years between the scope and the THR). No matter what I did, there was always pain and swelling after heavy activity like hockey or each volleyball. A couple of hours icing with the chryotherapy unit took this pain away. In fact, I finally sprung for another one for my THR (just got it yesterday) because my previous one sprung a leak. Huge difference so fro in terms of the effectiveness of the icing sessions. And the one thing ice is great at is reducing inflammation.... which will take pressure off the nerves if you issues is indeed some form of tendinitis. If you have one, use it daily. If you don't, get one... they are not cheap (about $250 USD, $350 CAD), but they are totally worth it. The one I have is the ColdRush by Ossur, but htere are other brands that are just as effective.

Last thing I will say.... Like you, I am quite young for a THR (also 42). What I have found interesting is that apparently younger muscular males are the most challenging patients for surgeons. Large bones, lots of muscle to be retracted during surgery, lots's of force needed to dislocate the hip, and lot's of pre-existing pains from the weekend warrior mentality. As such, surprisingly, recovery for younger males seems to take longer than for older patients. My OS told me as much during my first visit with him. I was telling him that I expected to recover much faster than my day (THR at 65+) because I was young. He told me to not get my hopes up. That full recovery would likely be at least a year... and possibly up to two. So hang in there my friend. It may take some time, but you will get there eventually.

Cheers
 
Thanks. I haven't been on here in awhile. Trying to get thru life I suppose. I have an appt with another ortho on the 28th of this month. This one is a revision surgeon. He is also not a part of the same company. So, I am hoping to get some answers. It is hard to keep hanging in there. I need n ice pack that can go around-the-clock whole leg or at least to my knee. I sit with two or three packs on me multiple times a day on the weekend and twice a day during the week,because I work.
 
Hi @ebair23
I'm sorry you continue to struggle.
I hope you find answers on the 28th.
Wishing you comfort until then.
Let us know how it goes.
 
Poor ebair !:console2:
Will be thinking of you and please let us know what appointment reveals!
 
Thanks guys! I will let ya know! Fingers crossed I get an answer.
 
ebair - sending you good healing vibes and hope your next OS visit is helpful in finding the answer for your ongoing challenges with pain.
 
ebair23...I know exactly how you feel! I had my hip replacement on 4/20/18 and for the first month I felt great! Then the pain started creeping back. First the pain in the bursa area, then the groin pain and then finally down into my knee.
Of course I would tell my surgeon at every follow up and all he told me was to wait a year. Yes he took the X-rays and yes they looked fine, he said.
I know something is not right. I feel my hip is “dying”, versus healing.
I plan on giving it through the new year, then I’ll go see another dr.
So I know how you feel and I’m so sorry! Try to keep your head up.
 
So sorry your having so much pain. I would answer Josephine’s questions and stop PT until your pain is under control. I only do water therapy and didn’t start that until 6 weeks out. It’s not as hard on the joints & still strengthens the muscles. Get a 3rd opinion from another practice too.
 
@yankees100 Thanks for the message. I was going to try and wait it out also, but I am to the point where I have little quality of life and want to be somewhat "normal" again. I just need some sort of answers. I am hoping I will get some answers at my upcoming appointment. I guess we'll see. I know something is not right, I can feel it, but I don't know what it could be.
 
@ebair23 - I'm 9+ months out from THR and having issues with my psoas. My pains are similar to yours but not as bad and a bit different. It took awhile but my OS finally referred me to a pain management specialist. She thought the issue was related to a slight pelvic torsion (hips twisted in opposite directions) causing a sacral misalignment causing spasms of the psoas. After 2 cortisone shots that helped but only a bit, muscle relaxants and more physical therapy, there hasn't been much improvement. Pain management doc agreed yesterday to schedule an MRI to check for psoas impingement (essentially the muscle/tendon getting inflamed because it's rubbing against something like the acetabular cup). Maybe it's worth asking the doctors about this possibility and seeing if they'll order an MRI or ultrasound to investigate further. Your pain actually sounds a lot like what another BoneSmartie experienced. I think his doctors eventually found that the screw inserted into the acetabular cup was sticking through into the psoas and causing problems.
 
Well.... had my appt on Friday with a new Dr. My X-ray's look good. He sees "maybe" a spot where the bone didn't grow into the new hip like it should. He is having me get blood work done to rule out an infection and a CT bone scan to see if he can see more. Hopefully this helps to find out what is causing the pain.
 
:fingersx: for no infection and I hope the CT scan clarifies what the problem is...I can imagine that this is one of those"I hope they find out something but hope they don't find anything" moments.

You know your body better than anyone so...I would just like to see you out of pain and relief from the anxiety of guessing. Hope you haven't been going google-crazy.

Hang in there, @ebair23
 
Hi Ebair 23 .... Really sorry to hear about what happen but thank you for posting so it stays with me not to push it as I know I can do. I'm 42 as well and I bet you get the " omg you are so young for that surgery every single time someone ask what surgery you had" ..lol.. Just with everything the Mental side has to do a little more with it. Think positive and rest I'm sure it will get better. Again thank you for your post and I'm sending nothing but POSITIVE ENERGY you way!!
Kev
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom