Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Continuing left hip pain

I found a difference I put recommendation in the 18 months from first hip to second. First hip they had me do in home and outpatient pt. Second hip a couple of weeks home pt that mainly helped my confidence, made sure I could go down to basement and walk. Second hip feels terrific, still have some problems with muscle in old hip.

Different people seem to respond to different approaches. Hind sight being 20/20 I would have said no to machines and weights with first pt.

Hope you get some relief @ebair23.
 
New week,new update. I am now having horrible knee pain while walking. it almost feels like it is broken. this still a part of the hip flexor?
 
How’s it going today for everyone. I’m 8 weeks out and am in pain today. Been icing all day and am elevating now. Pain pills here I come!
 
@ebair23
How are you?
I'm not sure about the knee and hip flexor question. If you are concerned...perhaps you could tag Josephine and she can answer your questions?
There are a myriad of different post op complaints from members, must temporary as the surgery requires manipulation of leg.
Heard many knee complaints although I didn't have that particular issue.
Please give us an update when you are able.
Hope today is a better day!:loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
I am going to agree with Bone-obo.....if it hurts don't do it. I can sympathize. I still after 4 months have inner thigh pain and below my buttock pain. It's not debilitating but extremely annoying. ROM as bad as before surgery so thinking it must be muscular issues. Don't be discouraged...there are more of us with lingering issues than you think...not everyone posts...so who knows. Do what you can and let time dictate your progress. All the best!
 
Hi there,
Wondering if the knee pain has decreased or gone away since you last posted.
Curious if you had it checked.
Let us know how you're doing if you have time. I hope all is well.
A great weekend to you!
@ebair23
 
YES PLEASE! :) I have recently decided to not go to therapy. I WAS doing better. Was able to walk without much help. The last two days, the groin and upper thigh and knee have been bothering me a lot again so i e=went back to the crutch.

Sorry all. Been struggling with this replacement and my depression. I have gotten a little better, and have good days where i have a slight limp, but can walk without assistance. The last two days have been bad again and I have been using my crutch. I try to take it easy and ice, but I am so discouraged.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you're struggling. We're going to call on @Josephine for some advice.
Let's see if she can get to the bottom of this and point you in the right direction.

I'd advise against walking without an assistive device until the limp is completely gone. Try heel-toe
walking. It takes concentration and practice. Heel hits the ground first, followed by toes. It works, try it.
Master it.

I'm so very sorry you're depressed. Wondering if you feel it's serious enough to discuss with your primary care physician, or just a figure of speech, in your anguish over your recovery? Please know we're here, day and night to encourage and support you in any way we're able. I look forward to Jo's response.

Prayers for healing, comfort and peace of mind.
Big hugs to you!
@ebair23
 
sequin98 Sorry about the late response.

My hip flexor area seems OK. I know, weird. I have been doing stretches and such to see if it is in need of help. Doesn't seem to. My groin and my upper thigh are causing a great deal of pain today. I have been good enough to walk unaided, but the last few days have been hard. I keep hoping for the healing process to progress.

Thank you Layla. I am currently on medicine for anxiety/depression. This whole 4 hip surgeries in less than two years is just so debilitating. I am trying to keep a good and happy outlook. I know these take time, but I can't help to feel like I am not progressing as I should. All my Dr. says is that it may take me up to a year to feel better. Lordy.
 
Just know we're here. Stop by more often and we'll try to lift your spirits.
We can resort to humor, just can't get carried away.
Read Bone-obo's thread for some laughs. He's always entertaining.
Distract yourself as much as you're able, I've always found it seems to lessen pain.
Hugs....it's going to get better! :yes:
@ebair23
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
@ebair I can relate to your frustration. I had an anterior right side THR on 6/13 and I too am getting anxious. I am not big on meds but still taking extra strength Tylenol for pain. What I am noticing is that the less I sit, and more walking and resting things are starting to look better. I am finally getting some things done at Week 3 and I need my cane most of the time, but forgot it a few times this morning. We all recover different and it's good to hear the x-rays show everything is normal. Your body is still healing so stay ahead of the pain. You may need to ice more. I was given that advice yesterday and today is a better day. Keep your chin up.
 
Josephine,

Ok, I will try to give you all the info you are wanting.....

1. I had a left hip anterior total hip replacement

2. I have multiple pain levels depending on what i am doing. It is normally around a 4 or 5. If I am walking and i turn wrong, it shoots up to a 9 or so. Sometimes the pain lasts all day that way.

3. I am no longer on pain meds. I currently take ibuprofen for the inflamation and Tylenol alternating.

4. I ice at least once a day for 20 minutes. If i am no at work, I ice more. I also ice different areas. I start with my groin, then my upper outer thigh, my upper front of thigh and then my knee. all these places hurt.

5. I elevate my leg while I ice.

6. I have gone back to work. I have a high activity level normally at work, but my boss has made it so I can just basically stay in the office and do office work. I also try to keep my house clean. Dusting, vaccuming, dishes, laundry (as I am able to) I don't push it.

7. My exercises are the ones I was sent home with. Walking as much as I can, ankle raises (10 times once a day), leg lifts from standing (forward and to the side and to the back)(10 times once a day), marching in place (20 times once a day) small squats (10 times once a day).

I was in therapy and the therapist told me to stop because it wasn't helping. I am no longer in therapy. I try to take it easy and not over due it. I AM better, i believe, but not to where I want to be. I have many times a day I hurt so much. I have to use my crutch. Sometimes I cant use the cane, because i cant put enough weight on it.

I hope this helps. I appreciate your feedback. I know it can take up to a year to heal, but I don't know what is normal hurt and not normal hurt.
 
ebair, you really don't need to quote a post in order to respond to it! Please don't do that.

7. My exercises are the ones I was sent home with. Walking as much as I can, ankle raises (10 times once a day), leg lifts from standing (forward and to the side and to the back)(10 times once a day), marching in place (20 times once a day) small squats (10 times once a day).
This part of my post you haven't replied to correctly. Remember I said
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​
 
sorry about quoting.....
ankle raises once a day 10X
leg lifts once a day 10X
marching once a day 20X
squats once a day 10X
 
sorry about quoting.....
Quoting wasn't an issue - not giving me the extra info was!

2. I have multiple pain levels depending on what I am doing. It is normally around a 4 or 5. If I am walking and I turn wrong, it shoots up to a 9 or so. Sometimes the pain lasts all day that way.
That does not sound nice
3. I am no longer on pain meds. I currently take ibuprofen for the inflammation and Tylenol alternating.
Well you've not told me how often you are taking these so I going to assume it's only once in a while. To start with, with a pain that high, you really need to be taking something on a regular schedule. But not ibuprofen as it is a very poor painkiller and it's inflammatory effect is questionable. So I suggest you take 1,000mg Tylenol every 6 hrs routinely. If this doesn't help well enough, then see your GP to get something a little stronger such as Tramadol and you could take 50mg of that 2-3 times a day as well.
4. I ice at least once a day for 20 minutes. If I am not at work, I ice more. I also ice different areas. I start with my groin, then my upper outer thigh, my upper front of thigh and then my knee. all these places hurt.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
5. I elevate my leg while I ice.
As you should do!
6. I have gone back to work. I have a high activity level normally at work, but my boss has made it so I can just basically stay in the office and do office work. I also try to keep my house clean. Dusting, vacuuming, dishes, laundry (as I am able to) I don't push it.
Not bad.

My exercises are the ones I was sent home with. Walking as much as I can
ankle raises 10 times daily
leg lifts from standing (forward and to the side and to the back)(10 times once a day)
marching in place x20 times a day
small squats x10 times a day
ankle raises once a day 10X
leg lifts once a day 10X
marching once a day 20X
squats once a day 10X
Stop all these - they are what is causing your pain. They are also totally unnecessary because ...

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

So consider yourself told!
 
Thank you so much Josephine I will take all of your advise to heart. In your opinion, how long should I wait until i tell my dr I am still in pain? He says it may take a year..... I have been trying to figure out if I need to get a second opinion.

Thanks again!

Erica :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom