THR Constanze's recovery diary

Hi @Constanze I do hope you got many presents on Nikolaus-Stiefel. Did you leave your running shoes or did you put out a really huge pair of boots for more presents. The only thing I found in my shoes were my feet. Have a good weekend.

Dean
 
Happy New Year everybody!
:mooncat:Yes @Jamesdean, I got some great presents for Christmas as well as Nikolaus - however, not in my running shoes. :rofsign:. I had the Nikolaus presents at work.
I finished my "Silvester" run today - 12.5 km. Not bad Did it in about 1 hour 15 minutes I think. I will get the result tomorrow. Best wishes from Constanze
 
I hope everybody enjoyed their New Year parties.
I have to go back to work today.
On 31 December, I went on the traditional run of the sportsclub in my home village - the distance is 12.5 km (about 7 1/2 miles). Did it in 1 hour 10 minutes, that is 5 minutes better than last year's result. Like last year, I came 3rd in my age group (female, 60-69) out of 7.
I also treated myself to a kind of sport I hadn't done ever since hip replacement: Ice skating. I went to an ice rink in Frankfurt on Sunday with 3 of my daughters and a boyfriend of one of my daughters. Enjoyed it even though it was full. Like my daughters, I promised myself not to have a fall - and we didn't :SUNsmile: I think, we'll go again later this months. Best wishes and a good start in 2019
Constanze
 
Amazing on your run!:yes!:
And how fun to go ice skating..my daughter loves it too!
I haven't gone since my hip replacements..
Good for you having fun!
Please, yes, no falling! You are such an inspiration to hippies!:happydance:
 
Happy New Year, faithful forum friend.
Congrats on your run! Glad you enjoyed ice skating and happy to read there were no falls.
I wish you all the best in 2019!
@Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze- my buddy from hip op time! We're lucky with our hips and I wish that luck and happiness to everyone on this helpful forum!
 
Hi Constanze! Checking in on ole buds as I've been missing in action lately. Sounds like you are doing well and keeping active. Life is good, eh?
 
Well, I had to educate myself to make sure you weren't trying to bypass the profanity filter, :heehee:

For anyone else reading and doing this :what:
Fasching is Germany's carnival season. It starts on the 11th day of November at exactly 11 minutes after 11 am and ends at the stroke of midnight on Shroud Tuesday - often referred to as Fat Tuesday (the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)

Happy Fashing, Constaze! I hope all is well with you.
 
@Layla - who me? Try to sneak past a profanity filter? I never! (Ok, maybe once or twice but not on here.). I celebrated Fasching when I lived in Germany. It was one of the few times we were allowed to really interact with German kids in the area we lived (we were there during the NATO missile crisis so they kept us isolated for the most part.

It is sometimes misunderstood and I had someone tell me the Germans had made it up to deflect from Armistice Day. In actuality, though, it traces its roots back to the 1200s. I don't know if having the armistice at the end of WWI begin at the same moment as the beginning of Fasching was a deliberate slap to Germany or if someone felt it was the appropriate moment for peace.
 
Recovery No. 3
No - not what you're thinking. I don't need a right hip replacement. My right hip is perfect.

I did something very daft - I fell over with my bicycle while cycling to work in the dark too fast and hit a bump or something. I broke my left tibia head - same side as my hip replacement, but the left hip is ok.

So this is my third op in my lifetime - first was the hip replacement, and second the cataract operation. My eyesight is also brilliant but I still didn't see the obstacle while cycling, even though I have a good light. I was thinking of work, not concentrating. That's what work does, nothing but stress.

Well, my operation was on 5 November 2019 and they inserted 2 titanic plates and a few screws. After 4 days I went home. My rehab was at home this time. And - oh my goodness - this recovery is taking long. Patience is not my strong point. But there's light at the end of the tunnel :) :-) (: and I should be a lot better by Christmas :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:.
The non-weight bearing was particularly nasty. Don't know how people manage with the household chores under these circumstances. But after 4 weeks, I was allowed to put 30 kg of my body weight on that leg and after 5 weeks 40 kg. And hubby said no more operations. This is becoming a bit exhausting for him. He had his 69th birthday this past November - lol.

Well, I've had physiotherapy regularly, I can already go swimming, I can walk without the crutches indoors and with the crutches outdoors. And today, we went round to the neighboring village 1.5 miles away where my first daughter lives with her boyfriend to take some stuff round, and I was able to help. The Christmas meal will be at her place this year, and the children and their boyfriends will all help cook. We will provide the wine.

I worked from home as from 22 Nov. Now, I'm on holiday. I'll go back to work at the office in January. My surgeon told me, I'll be able to do triathlon again.

So today is the 3rd Advent in Germany - the day when people light the 3rd candle on their advent wreath. I wish you a happy 3rd Advent Sunday then. We'll speak again soon. Best wishes - Constanze
 
Oh my stars @Constanze :sad:
That sounds particularly painful.
I suppose you had your phone so you could call for help?
I am sure the weight bearing restrictions were tough for such an active sort as yourself.

I'm glad you sound to be healing well and I'm sending good mojo your way.
Hope you are feeling much better by Christmas.
:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Constanze So sorry about your accident, and glad your replacement is safe. That was some spill off your bike! Wishing you complete healing. Have a very Merry Christmas. :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Many thanks for the good wishes @Mojo333 and @VSlowLife ,
Yes, I did have a phone. But I thought I was just bruised. I went to work that day actually. I cycled to work and did not notice any pain until I got off the bike and started walking. Since the pain did not get better, I had an X-ray done and there it was - the fracture.
I'll be more careful next time. Will go slowly there and were knee protectors (my knee is ok by the way). I already wear a helmet, protective gloves, and a good light in the dark.
 
I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, resulting surgery and weight bearing restrictions, Constanze. Thankfully your hip wasn't affected you're on the mend. Hopefully you'll be feeling better by Christmas and strong in the New Year. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. @Constanze

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
So sorry to read about your accident @Constanze It is amazing what the body can endure. LIke you, when I fractured my hip, my feeling was I suffered a bad bruise so I carried on. So glad you got your X-ray early and were able to get it fixed.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas. Hope your recovery progresses smoothly and that you can return to your active life very soon.

:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom