TKR Conformis iTotal RTKR Recovery 3 Aug 15

@Gojennygo Thank you so much for sharing your story. Here I am up at 4 am with no new knee to talk about. I wake up usually once or twice a night. Congratulations on your new knee. I was supposed to have mine July 28 but had an abnormal EKG so I had to cancel for now. I am however, so inspired by your story and seemingly positive recovery. Your new leg looks AWESOME!! I am amazed how much straighter your leg is!! :) I know you are so happy with that!! Thank you as well for sharing your pics as it really does help to see your leg recovery as time goes by. It looks terrific. So very happy for you Jenny, and look forward to your future recovery posts! :)
 
My knee bruised up like yours lol. It's just starting to resolve now.
 
Those bruises look familiar. I had them for about two weeks. All gone now. Your leg looks so much straighter, that is wonderful. Wishing you well for the next surgery.
 
My left leg was bowed much like yours before recent surgery and it is SOOOOOOO nice to have two straight legs. Your scar looks very good and it looks as if you will have just a thin line when you are healed. I'm sure your recovery will continue to go well.
 
Hi Stefny,
So sorry that your operation was delayed due to your EKG. Best of luck with the next attempt, I hope it all goes smoothly for you. I am glad you are at least in the process of getting help, I waited much too long, due to being told I was too young.
Good on you!
 
It sounds like you are doing great. I don't see the recovery articles in your thread--we like everyone to have their own copy, If you have already gotten them, just ignore a crazy moderator!!! But they are filled with useful info in short, informative articles.

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
I was excited too when my leg was so much straighter after my tkr. I had to keep looking at it. :heehee:
It sounds like you're doing really well.
 
Hi Kneeper and Metalheart!
Thanks for the words of encouragement, and "straight leg solidarity"!!! I do find myself looking at it and marveling over the straightness! It was impossible to imagine befoe surgery, now I can't wait to have them BOTH straight!
I am TRYING to be patient about the pain, but I think I have pre-op nerves about having to rely on my first TKR as my good leg....
Yikes! Fingers and legs crossed!!!
 
Hello Skigirl,
Thank you for moderating me! I have such difficulty navigating forums, I appreciate your input and for posting those articles for me. I had seen them on other member's threads, and have read some of them.

It is reassuring to know so many have gone through these same experiences and feelings.

Thanks again!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again,

As I feared, I think I posted incorrectly, or tagged myself incorrectly! I tagged myself as "BTKR" bilateral knee replacements, not knowing that that meant both done at the same time. Oh well, hope y'all will understand and forgive!

Anyway, trying to stay calm about the second surgery coming up on Monday. Last week, my new knee felt better than this week, so I was feeling quite hopeful and couldn't wait for the next surgery. Well, I overdid it with my therapy and walking around and now, I can not find relief, can't sleep worth a darn and I am worrying about having 2 painful knees.

As most of us on here have lived with pain for many years, I thought I would be well equipped to deal with post-surgery pain...bring it on! Nope! This pain is unlike any other pain I have experienced, even after other surgeries. I guess it is the deep aching in my bones, it is so strange and unnerving.

Thanks to this website and the many articles and words of advice, I have completely laid off of therapy the last 2 1/2 days, iced, elevated, etc. I walked a bit more this evening and I feel okay, sort of. Well, I am not sleeping, so maybe I am not doing that well!!

My hope is to be feeling better by Monday, but other than take it easy, what else can I do? I am feeling extreme guilt and uncertainty over NOT doing my PT exercises. But, I forced myself to be more still, and just hope I am doing the right thing. Monday will be 4 weeks post op for my right knee, and Day 1 for my left.

My mind is going in circles! I love coming to the website and reading every one else's journeys and advice. Thanks for reading mine and chiming in

Off to read Harry Potter and hopefully conk out!
Good night!

PS
I think I got ice burn or frost bite on my leg, too! I fell asleep with my Iceman on....boo! Now, I am much more diligent about taking it off if I get sleepy. I didn't think I COULD get in trouble with the Iceman, but it could have been damp on my barrier cloth.
I am still madly in love with my Iceman, but now I am cautious.
 
You have the experience of the first TKR behind you and even if you over did it some, I bet your first knee will be good enough to help you through the first couple of weeks after the second. You have a great attitude and that helps to keep the motivation up when things get challenging.

The couple of times I have done too much and had some swelling and pain I reverted to doing quad sets every couple of hours and if nothing else it helped my attitude to start positive. What you are doing now, the ice and elevation, should make a difference in getting your first knee back into shape.

You have done so well with number one that I know number two will work out fine. It is difficult not to be anxious and concerned but you are on the right track. Just keep Mr. Potter handy to distract you when needed!
 
Thank you Metalheart!
It is funny how much we need a few words of encouragement sometimes. I am a positive person normally, but this has been tougher than I anticipated. This forum is a great distration, resource and outlet. Hearing from people like you, who have already been through this is reassuring and comforting! I am smiling now, so thanks for that!!
 
Your knee is looking great! I'm having troubles sleeping pre-surg, hoping it is better later, but that is probably just wishful thinking. I am following your recovery as I will be having both knees done close together. Healing thoughts sent you way!
 
Jenny, I know what you mean about the value of sharing experiences. And, no-matter what level of pain one experiences in this process, after a few weeks it is simply tiring and can easily be discouraging, at least it is for me. But, every once in a while my head pops above the daily grind and I can see that from here on my knees are not going to be an everyday thought: with both replaced, it is possible to move on and have a life that does not have knee considerations a daily thing. The in-between from now to that point in the future is getting closer for both of us!

If I had known my left knee was not going to hold up, I would have done the same thing as you: get both replaced as soon as feasible. You have a few tough weeks in front of you, but after that lots of good times are ahead.

I hope you keep posting and share your experiences!

best wishes,
John
 
Glad your recovering well. Keep up
The exercises. My pt and is says they help build strenghts. Good luck monday with knee 3
 
Hi Jenny,
I just found your recovery thread and it looks like you're doing fine.
I hope #2 goes well on Monday, then it's all about recovery and getting your life back!
I'm 7 1/2 months out from knee #1 and looking foreward to getting #2 done in january.
I am loving my conformis!
 
The best laid plans of mice and men…

My second surgery which was supposed to take place tomorrow, Monday August 31, has been postponed due to a technical problem. . My doc called yesterday to inform me. Nothing I can do about this, except have the right attitude!

On the bright side, I flew my daughter in to be my chauffeur and caregiver this go around, so we will have some extra semi-normal time together to visit and catch up.

On the gloomy side, she is only here for 2 weeks, so my fingers are crossed that it will take place while is here, or my detailed plan goes out the window!

Enjoy the day!
 
Aww too bad. I hope the re-schedule works for you. I know they are under a bit of pressure to do it within a certain time frame because of the tests you had beforehand that needed to be close to the surgery date, so I hope they find a slot for you. Make sure they know about your caregiver's schedule! That might add some to their sense of urgency because without a caregiver they might be somewhat responsible for finding aftercare ... including putting you in a post-op facility. And they probably want to avoid that if possible ... makes their cost statistics look bad.

Anyway, Jenny, would you please take this unexpected leisure time as an opportunity to write LOTS about your choice of Conformis, all the factors that went into your decision, and what you learned about the implant world in general. I for one am extremely interested in all the details!
 
The mind is the most important thing

I see people write what replacement they had. Isn't the choice up to the surgeon?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom