TKR Conformis iTotal RTKR Recovery 3 Aug 15

In my case the choice was up to the surgeon but I have met others who have been allowed to choose or have input. It's also possible to choose a method then search for an OS who is certified or extremely experienced with that method. I think the replacement has a big effect on recovery. For example if one replacement allows a 45 minute procedure while another requires an hour and a half of "open time" I would guess that the soft tissue damage might be much less for the quicker one. That's just an assumption. I haven't found any studies that compare average recovery time (or other metrics) for different procedures, though.
 
@Dearjr , @analysta ,
The ConforMIS web site has a search feature to locate doctors who use their knee.
That's how I found my doctor and he just happens to be the best knee doctor in the area.
A skilled surgeon is the most important factor when anticipating knee replacement.
 
"best knee doctor in the area" is awesome. I chose my surgeon by asking my medical friends and most of their recommendations pointed to this one center and this one guy, including recommendations by medical friends who had worked in hospital environments who, I gotta believe, had inside track information. And including one medical friend who had chosen this one guy for his own TKR. My recovery has been excellent from the first few minutes post-op and I give all the credit to the surgical team who were awesome and who chose the right implant for me (I believe). I'm kinda going on and on but I feel very lucky and emotional about it.

Lastly, I watched a video of an operation that used the implant they chose for me (YouTube rocks) and listened carefully to their verbal comments about how this particular implant's procedure was different from others. Fascinating. And it totally sold me and gave me more confidence about what I was in for. (It also gave me a big dose of reality about how brutal this operation is no matter how it's done ... no more illusions about this being as easy as an appendectomy.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jenny,
Getting mentally ready and then having surgery postponed must be frustrating, but there is the upside of your daughter's visit. Best wishes on getting a new surgery date in the near future!
 
Usually the surgeon gets familiar with a particular implant and then uses the different models in each patient depending on his/her case
For example their are cruciate sparing models and models that rotate and models that need to be cemented and those that don't
I'll put details of mine in thread
 
Hi All,

Thank you for the words of encouragement, and the useful advice. I am calling my doctor tomorrow to get more prescription medicine, (since I am out of Tramadol) and thanks to your suggestion, Analysta, I will inform them about my caregiver's schedule. I hadn't thought of re-scheduling yet, I really was caught by surprise. If I had been thinking right, I would have asked my doc to call my prescription in yesterday.

In preparation for the second surgery, he had stopped my intake of Celebrex 5 days beforehand. I have never taken it before, so I don't know if I am missing it or not. I mean, I can't tell if it was helping anything or not. I want to stay as surgery "ready" as possible, but I will ask him about that tomorrow.

I am a positive person by nature, but I am struggling with this disappointment. I was so ready to do it, get it iver with, etc. and start my final leg of recuperating. I guess ut's obvious that patience is not my string suit!!

Thank you for reading my venting blah-blah-blah....tomorrow is a new day....fiddle dee dee....I'll think about that tomorrow...and anything else Scarlett would say under the circumstances!
 
Scarlett would say, "As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hurting again."
 
Today is my 4 week, one month anniversary, so I took a pic of my scar to celebrate. I am pleased with how it looks, it is very calm looking, in my opinion. I thought it would be more red/sore looking. I was told that my doctor was own for his precision and "pretty" scars, so the rumors were true! Time will tell about my wrinkled area at the top of the knee....hmm...will it or won't it shrink!

[Bonesmart.org] Conformis iTotal RTKR Recovery 3 Aug 15
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a very pretty scar, your doc did a great job. I am about a week behind you and my scar also has the same wrinkle at the top and when i look back at the images from my first TKR, that one did also about the 3-5 week period, so I bet yours wrinkle will shrink.
 
Here is the reason my second Conformis iTotal TKR is delayed. I am glad they have stringent standards and they caught it in time. Better BEFORE, than after it's installed! After reading this, I have given up hope that it will be next week. It looks like it will be a lengthier process than I first had hoped.

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-releas...atientspecific-instrumentation-20150831-00348

ConforMIS Initiates Voluntary Recall of Specific Serial Numbers of Patient-Specific Instrumentation for the iUni, iDuo and iTotal Systems

BEDFORD, Mass., Aug. 31, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ConforMIS, Inc. (NASDAQ:CFMS) today announced that it has initiated a voluntary recall of specific serial numbers of patient-specific instrumentation for its iUni, iDuo, iTotal CR and iTotal PS knee replacement product systems. ConforMIS has initiated this action in response to three recent complaints of moisture on the patient-specific instrumentation. In all three cases, the knee replacement procedures were completed without apparent incident and the Company does not believe that the customized knee implants used in these procedures were themselves affected. While the number of complaints the Company has received is small, and the Company has not received any reports of adverse events related to these complaints to date, the Company initiated this recall voluntarily and is working to resolve the complaints quickly.

Based on an initial assessment, ConforMIS believes that the recalled instrumentation held excess water before undergoing the commonly used ethylene oxide sterilization process and, as a result, may contain small amounts of ethylene glycol residue. Ethylene glycol residue may form when ethylene oxide comes into contact with water. ConforMIS has temporarily suspended its use of the ethylene oxide sterilization process and is working expeditiously to investigate the root cause of the excess moisture and evaluate potential corrective and preventative actions.

A total of approximately 950 patient-specific instrumentation sets are affected by this recall, of which approximately 650 sets were used in knee-implant procedures and approximately 300 sets have been shipped but not yet used in scheduled surgeries. The patient-specific instruments were manufactured and distributed from the Company's new manufacturing facility between July 18, 2015 and August 28, 2015. ConforMIS is seeking the return of the approximately 300 knee replacement product systems, which include the patient-specific instrumentation sets. The Company does not believe that the customized knee implants included with the sets themselves were affected.

ConforMIS is in the process of notifying the affected healthcare facilities of this recall and is arranging for replacement of the recalled products. ConforMIS will be sending a Customer Notification letter to each affected healthcare facility detailing steps for return of affected products.

The Company expects manufacturing to be substantially reduced in September and possibly October as it completes its investigation and executes a plan of resolution. The Company maintains a validated, alternative sterilization process that it already uses in the production of certain of the Company's implants and instruments and plans to increase its reliance on this alternative process until it has completed its investigation and taken all necessary corrective action. This alternative sterilization process has significantly limited capacity as compared to the ethylene oxide sterilization process. The Company expects that the combined impacts of the recalled products which were shipped but not used, the lower production capacity over the period of investigation and resolution and the potential commercial disruption will have a negative effect on its sales. Assuming the effects of these factors, the Company is revising its guidance for the fiscal year 2015 as it now expects total revenue for the full year 2015 in a range of $64 million to $66 million, representing year-over-year growth of 33% to 37% on a reported basis and 39% to 43% on a constant currency basis. This revised revenue guidance is a reduction of $8 million as compared to the previous revenue guidance in a range of $72 million to $74 million.

About ConforMIS, Inc.

ConforMIS is a medical technology company that uses its proprietary iFit Image-to-Implant technology platform to develop, manufacture and sell joint replacement implants that are individually sized and shaped, or customized, to fit each patient's unique anatomy. ConforMIS offers a broad line of customized knee implants and pre-sterilized, single-use instruments delivered in a single package to the hospital. In recent clinical studies, ConforMIS iTotal CR demonstrated superior clinical outcomes, including better function and greater patient satisfaction, compared to traditional, off-the-shelf implants. ConforMIS owns or exclusively in-licenses approximately 470 issued patents and pending patent applications that cover customized implants and patient-specific instrumentation for all major joints.

For more information, visit www.conformis.com. To receive future releases in e-mail alerts, sign up at https://ir.conformis.com.

Constant Currency

The Company provides certain information regarding the Company's current or projected financial results on a "constant currency basis." This information estimates the impact of changes in foreign currency rates on the translation of the Company's current or projected future period financial results as compared to the applicable comparable period. This impact is derived by taking the adjusted current or projected local currency results and translating them into U.S. Dollars based upon the foreign currency exchange rates for the applicable comparable period. It does not include any other effect of changes in foreign currency rates on the Company's results or business.

Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements

Any statements in this press release about future expectations, plans and prospects for ConforMIS, including statements about ConforMIS's analysis of recent product complaints and the source of the potential contamination of the sets , expectations regarding its manufacturing interruption, strategy, future operations, future financial position and results and expected market growth, including expectations regarding the potential impact and advantages of using customized implants, total revenue and revenue mix by product and geography, product gross margin and other statements containing the words "anticipate," "believe," "continue," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "might," "plan," "potential," "predict," "project," "should," "target," "will," or "would" and similar expressions, constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. ConforMIS may not actually achieve the plans, intentions or expectations disclosed in its forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on its forward-looking statements. Actual results or events could differ materially from the plans, intentions and expectations disclosed in the forward-looking statements the Company makes as a result of a variety of risks and uncertainties, including risks related to its estimates regarding the expected scope of its recall, the duration of its manufacturing interruption, the impact of its manufacturing interruption on its financial results, potential market opportunity for its current and future products, its expectations regarding its sales, expenses, gross margins and other results of operations, and the other risks and uncertainties described in the "Risk Factors" sections of the Company's public filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In addition, the forward-looking statements included in this press release represent ConforMIS's views as of the date hereof. ConforMIS anticipates that subsequent events and developments may cause ConforMIS's views to change. However, while ConforMIS may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, ConforMIS specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing ConforMIS's views as of any date subsequent to the date hereof.

CONTACT: Investor contact

Oksana Bradleyir@conformis.com
(781) 374-5598


Source: ConforMIS
 
5 weeks today since my right TKR surgery so I thought I would post an update with pictures. I look at so many other people's journeys and it does give me hope and strength in the night. Each of us heals at our own pace, and I keep that in mind when reading. Even so, something about the shared experience and hearing from those ahead of us, who have traveled ahead is comforting. Thanks to all who have commented and given me hope :)

I wish I knew how to edit my thread title, since it incorrect now that my second TKR is postponed.

Now to business, here is my update:

Mentally and emotionally, I am in a bit of a blah stage awaiting any word at all about possible rescheduling timeline. The long weekend felt extra long, but I have been bingeing on Game of Thrones, which has been a good distraction. Plus, with 50 hours to watch, I happen to have the time currently! I am not as weepy as I had been during the first few weeks, which is a big positive. I get frustrated with the continued pain and swelling, but I can't help thinking about where I should be with my second knee. I wish I was going through the pain of them together. Now, each day that I improve is irritating thinking I will have to start over and do this all again. As they say in Game of Throne...Winter is Coming!! And I want to be as sure footed as possible well before that!

Physically, I only use a cane when I go out in public, just in case, but I don't really need it for balance. I haven't started driving yet, but I am fortunate not to have to drive anywhere currently. I have stopped regimented PT for about 10 days or so now, just doing walking, stretches and very gentle knee lifts, etc. I have found that pushing myself to discomfort even, causes swelling and pain later, so I am forcing myself to take it very easy. I get antsy, but just get up and stretch and walk around for a while to ease that minor discomfort.

This forum has helped me tremendously with the mental back and forth about whether or not I am exercising enough. I am finally learning to "listen to my knee"! Duh, it took me a while!

I hope everyone had a quiet, pleasant weekend. I will post some pics I took just now to show my scar and swelling, etc.
 
5 weeks today

[Bonesmart.org] Conformis iTotal RTKR Recovery 3 Aug 15
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just say what you want your thread title will be, and a moderator will update it for you.

I know what you mean about each passing day means one more day you have to go through this again. I mentioned to my OS that was one thing I regretted about having to schedule mine a year apart. I hadn't considered I,d signed myself up for a two year recovery program. Shrug. It is what it is, and I'll get through it. You will, too. With the confidence that you can trust you implant manufacturer to do the right thing.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hi Jean,
Nice to hear from you in the middle of the night! I hope you are progressing nicely and feeling okay tonight. Your response is a perfect example of how helpful the fellowship on this forum is. Thank you for sharing your timeline frustration, and acceptance of it. Your 2 year recuperation may be the smarter way to go about this, as sometimes I feel so poorly that I wonder how in the heck I will be able to cope with both knees suffering.

Sweet dreams to you, when you get that nice sleepy feeling...I am still seeking it! So hard to get comfy enough
 
Hi @Gojennygo
Just tell us what you would like the title of your thread to be and we'll ask one of the moderators to change it.
 
Hi @Gojennygo
Just tell us what you would like the title of your thread to be and we'll ask one of the moderators to change it.

Hello Celle, thanks to both you and Jean(Polarbear60) for telling me how to update my thread name. I would like it to be more accurate, since my second TKR has been postponed.

Dear Moderator,

First, Would you please change my thread heading from BILATERAL to TKR?

Second, would you please change my title to:
Gojennygo's Conformis iTotal TKR Recovery Right Knee 8/3/15
(Left Knee Postponed due to recall)

Thank you, Jenny


 
@Gojennygo it is frustrating to know or not to know what is normal and what is not. But we are all individuals and things are different for all of us. We want to be like the fast healers and feel bad for the slow ones. But in the end the journey is one of the paths in life we must follow. Thank God for our friends here to help us along
 
My second TKR will be exactly 12 weeks after my first. I didn't really plan it that way, but now am very happy that I have that time to restore as much of the nutritional, mental, and energy supplies as possible. Don't tell anyone :wink: but I have to go back to work 2 1/2 weeks after my second TKR. Only for half days the first week, but still! That will be a doozy!

I read bonesmart in the middle of the night too. Always can find someone else the sandman forgot to sprinkle sleep dust on.
 
@Slainte i am 7 weeks out from tkr
I went back to work after 3 weeks of rest
My os said it was doable but to expect swelling to persist longer. As long as it doesn't impede your Flexion

Good luck and let me know how it goes
How long did you take off for ht e first tkr?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom