Guest viewing is limited

Complex THR on 20 Feb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo Selin, only 9 days to go.....I can totally understand your nervousness especially as you know this is going to be very complex but as you say, you also know that the THR is inevitable so big well done again for getting your head around this and just going for it.

We will all be rooting for you and thinking of you on your day. I shall be having words with the big man himself to keep an eye on you :)

What's happening about aids for after.......do you know everything you will need? Just ask if you want some tips or ideas about what you need to get in for afterwards although you have probably been reading up on that stuff on BS already.

Take care

Ann
Xxx
 
Anniepops
Thank you so much Ann.
Oh yes, I've gone through hip operations so many times but yet I forgot the bad old days...
I've been reading the threads since a couple of weeks which helps me to adapt in my mindset, but I wont hesitate to ask if I need to. Thanks
Cheers
 
Anniepops
By the way, how are you progressing? are you ok. I see it has been a year for you now.
 
Well done on getting your surgery date pulled in! Should I change the title of your thread? Certainly isn't 100 days anymore!
 
Jaycey
Thanks Jaycey. All the moderators and hippies here helped me to take the decision. I feel much more relaxed now.
It would be great if you change the title of my thread.
What about ''Complex THR - due on 20 Feb''
 
Done! Please keep posting. It does help with the pre-op nerves!
 
Many thanks Jaycey. Indeed it helps a lot for the nerves.
Just a quick question to you Jaycey and other hippies who are on line Vida, Anniepops or who may assist.
I will be seing my OS tomorrow. What specific questions should I be asking him? any recommendation?
Here are some I have in mind: anterior approach ?, autolog blood transfusion?, when to stop betablockers, baby asprin, lipitor before surgery? (I had 1 coronary stent 3 years ago), anything else?
cheers to all.
 
Hard to say what you should ask. What are you most worried about? Here is my list of questions pre-op:
Posterior or anterior
Type of joint (brand name)
Cement or non cement
Weight bearing restrictions
Anaesthesia
Catheter
90 degree restrictions
Post-op pain management
Sutures or staples
Bathing/shower how soon

Write down your questions and write down the answers while you are there. These consultations can be stressful. Write things down so you can reference them later.
 
Thanks Jaycey.
that was helpful.
actually my main concern is whether he will be able to fix it without the need of osteotomy which I think he will assess during surgery. In that case recovery is much longer. ugh ı dont want to think about it...and my other concern is whether the tip of the hip bone (trochanter) will break while he takes out the plate from 20 years ago... Josephine
 
Selin, so happy for you! I know you can do this. Even if it is a complex surgery, your Dr is the expert. Try to relax and trust the pros. I'm doing the same. When ever anyone asks me if I'm ready, I tell them I've been ready for months. Congrats for you prompt scheduling, you won't have to suffer with the pain. I'm six days after you and I'll be checking to see how you're doing. Good luck

—Susan
 
Pain management... biggest issue! What will you be given when you leave hospital? Who prescribes refills? What if your pain meds don't work well? Can you call the office to get something else?

I'll bet you'll have all the info about restrictions, wound care and home care/exercise by the time you leave hospital. Absolutely no patient should ever go home without detailed, preferably written, post-operative instructions.

When it comes to the type of approach, you are in his hands I'm afraid. As Jo once told me, surgeons do procedures with which they are most comfortable/experienced, so as patients we don't have a lot of input. Few will discuss options, other than to say ...this is the best approach for you. Those of us with complex hips have fewer options. I am guessing you will need antero-lateral entry because of your fixin's and as he warned, you may require an osteotomy. Another cool scar, or maybe a new entry over an old one? That's a valid question! Rest assured he will do whatever procedure gives him the best access.

I know its scary but worrying gets you all wound up and is a waste of time. I stayed (relatively) calm by telling myself that facing fear of major surgery is just like facing fear of flying. When you get in the plane, it really helps to remember that the pilot doesn't want to die any more than you do! In the same way, your surgeon, if he takes any pride at all in his work, wants you to have a terrific outcome and get your life back. Which you will.

Vicki x
 
Hi Sansabosa,

I've been on the other side most of the time, but just had a revision after 3 years, so it was a little complicated but nothing like yours. There was a fear of trochanter fracture, but my OS managed to get the hardware out. I'm 3 week post-op and doing well for a revision.

There were a few concerns I had beforehand and results:

Anesthesia type: I wanted an epidural + twilight sleep. My OS wanted GA. I have a history of nausea and vomiting, so I implored him, but I had no nausea at all. Woke up just fine.

Risk of fracture: was told it was likely Dr. would need to saw open femur to get stem out. He removed the stem with a lot of hard work, but no cutting. Think it helped that he scheduled me last so he had time for any difficulties. Hopefully your Dr. does the same.

Anterior Approach is never used for a complex surgery. They can't see the femur well enough. I wouldn't let a surgeon touch me who said he could use the Anterior approach after the number of surgeries you've had.

I don't know how your country is about using narcotics. Have you been using prior to surgery? I did for 6 months because my pain had become so bad. I'm still on enough because of my dependency prior to surgery. It's taking more, but I'll be lowering the dose over the next 3 months. With your surgical history, I'd hope your surgeon would be understanding of potential pain issues.

I don't know if this helps you, but when I woke up, that horrible groin pain that prevented me from feeling comfortably was gone. Yes, there was surgical pain, but a normal life is within reach. We know what to expect with surgery, but when the problem is fixed, it's amazing how much better you feel.

I was nervous, as we all are before surgery. I don't know if anything gets rid of the nerves but to get the surgery over with. The techniques are far better than your last surgery and I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm sorry I didn't see you earlier.

Good luck. We're all here for you!
 
Hi Selin, I tagged Jo in your post about the actual procedure. I know it's scary when you don't know what will go on. But do ask all the questions in your pre-op. Most surgeons love to talk about their work!
 
Hi Selin I've just been reading your story and am so glad for you that you only have a few days to wait now before your surgery will be over and you will be able to focus on your recovery instead of all the 'what ifs' that clog up our minds before. I was terrified of surgery, never having had an operation before, but am so glad that I went ahead and can now look forward to doing the things I had enjoyed so much and had to give up - like trips to Istanbul!

Best wishes
UK Diane xxxxx
 
9 days and counting down... :)
 
Hi Selin,

Well, congratulations on setting your date and so the count down begins!!

The good part about your hardware issues & osteotomy potential are that you will be soundly asleep and oblivious to what is going on. My surgery time was the best 2 hour nap I'd had in years!!!

It's wonderful to have the travel plans and goals to look forward to, but be realistic in knowing it may take a few months of rehabilitation before you are ready to go. Give yourself plenty of time before you start penciling in dates on the calendar.

Did you speak with your doctor about any in home services like physical therapy for the first weeks after surgery?

You know, you are really our expert here with the teen aged hip (your first THR) and CDH. How did your recovery go from that surgery? Did you have a while when your muscles had to adapt to the changes that the new hardware made? You don't have to answer any of this is you don't want --- your real focus is getting ready for your second new hip and we are all going to be awaiting your arrival on "the other side." :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
my main concern is whether he will be able to fix it without the need of osteotomy which I think he will assess during surgery.
Depends what kind of osteotomy you are referring to. He might need to do a trochanteric osteotomy to get better access to the hip which was commonly done in the 70-80s. It can be a painful extra procedure so make sure your pain meds are accessible! But I bet you anything that he manages quite well without.
my other concern is whether the tip of the hip bone (trochanter) will break while he takes out the plate from 20 years ago
Unlikely. It's been my experience that the bone is as hard as rock when it's had ironmongery in it for so long! I think the biggest issue won't be that but actually getting the plate out of the bone. But again, they usually manage it.

As DG said
Even if it is a complex surgery, your Dr is the expert. Try to relax and trust the pros.
:wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom