Guest viewing is limited

Complex THR on 20 Feb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selin, you have an amazing story with your issue, yet appear to have thrived in your career. A true inspiration for millions of people with far less to deal with like myself. I have my surgery 1 week after you so am looking forward to following your progress and praying for the best. Good luck
 
Hi All,
I am just catching up with the posts. I've been busy trying to finish stuff at the office etc. critical stuff like annual performance reviews one-to ones etc...
I had my preop visit to the anestesiologist earlier this week and my lab work is finished. So far all is set. Thus I have only 5 days more to go. The OS mentioned that I need to be at the hospital at 6:00 in the morning on the 20th!
I asked all my questions to the OS and the anesthesiologist. The OS makes me feel very confortable with his confidence level. He did say that there is a 20% possibility that he may need to do an ostotomy at the bottom of the prostheses to fix the bone (to make it linear so that the prostheses does not protrude out from the side) in addition to hip replacement but there is 80% chance that my hip will allow me with the replacement only. Thus, need your prayers on the 20th!
He was also very confident in terms of the pain management, the pump device as we all know. The plate on my hip was inserted 21 years ago (and I asked him whether he can keep it and insert the prosthesis, just like Vida's case) It has to be taken out he mentioned as otherwise he can not insert the prosthesis as it blocks the way...He said he will inject hyalorunic acid to my knee (other side) during the operation as well and relieved me that my pain on the other knee will pass after this hip operation...
Regarding the anesthesiologist, she was kind of smart alec and not ''listening'' to the patient's anxiety or questions but I just did not want to get into an argument with her...She did NOT even wanted to discuss anesthesia options. The relaxing part though was I popped into a friend of mine who is a CVS at the hospital afterwards and he relieved me that the anesthesiology team of the hospital is very good although they are like dogs and cats in the operating room.
Any way, I am trying to finalise my check list in terms of items to purchase etc. almost set.
the only thing left is about my bed. It is kind of low in terms of height. I was wondering whether I should ''lease'' a hospital sytle bed for 1 or 2 months at home (they come and fix it for your and monthly cost very cheap) or change my mattress...that is something to think over the weekend.
I started last night to take tafil (diazepam) 0.5 mg and slept like a baby...
 
Selin, you've got my prayers for a successful surgery for next Wednesday. —Susan
 
designergirl
Thanks a lot Susan. I aslo wish you the best on the 26th! Are you all set with the preperations?
 
Hi Selin,

Do you have any other beds in your house that you could sleep in for a few weeks after your surgery?? I don't think that you need to special order a hospital bed -- especially if there is another room that might have a bed that's a bit higher and you feel comfortable with. I slept in a different room for a few weeks, which was also helpful because I'd get up and walk around at some point in the middle of the night and didn't have to worry about waking my husband up.

I hope you have a nice weekend and do some enjoyable things and not just prepare for your surgery. Good idea on the bedtime meds as well!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Good luck Selin... We will be in theatre in spirit watching over you hon!
 
Hi Selin, it's good that you had a good chat to your OS, he sounds like he knows what he is doing which is reassuring, shame about the pain in the neck anesthesiologist but at least your friend eased your concerns in that department.

You will be in my prayers on the 20th, I will have everything crossed things go very smoothly for you. Can't wait to have you on the other side all over and done with.

Take care of you

Ann.x.
 
Poppet, Anniepops and clifford149

Thank you for your best wishes and prayers.
All will be fine.
I completed my cardio check up yesterday. I had a stent inserted 3 years ago and since ı couldn't do the threadmill test, my cardiologist ordered an echo, done and all is fine.
And today, I've done all the hair cut and other care stuff.
My husband bought the biggest sized ice packs I've ever seen in my life today. Like the size of the screen of 19 inch laptop! or maybe even wider and longer.
I printed and prepared a booklet from the recommendations of Jo and other moderators so that I read them through over the weekend, and will bring it to the hospital with me as a bed side book. Although ı had so many ortho surgeries, I still need the tips to refresh my memory and to prevent the post op pain and other serious complicaitions with full conscious!
Tonight I had some nice wine "tete a tete" with my husband (saturday night now in istanbul) thus probably wont need any drug to fall asleep))).
All the best for the hippies next week
Selin
 
C Mac
Hi Cardie,
I listened to our advise about the weekend. So far Saturday was great: coiffeur, shopping, swedish massage and nice dinner with my husband.
I will try to enjoy the st of the weekend too! Thanks for the tip)))

Ps: today I leased a hospital style bed for a month or 2 for a very reasonable price and they provide it brand new. Unfortunately the beds at home, ours and our daughter's are standard and relatively speaking very low in height. Thanks to the internet! Was not even aware that there is such a business, the leasing of hospital sytle beds.
 
Hi Selin
Glad to hear that you are having a good weekend - you sound very calm and relaxed - all that preparation is beginning to pay off for you!
My very best wishes and special thoughts for you on the 20th
UK Diane
xxxxxxx
 
Good luck Selin, so pleased you have had a pleasant evening with your SO.

:)
 
Selin, I will be thinking of you. One of the best things I did was to rent a hospital style bed table, everything was at hand ...iPad etc. and it was useful for early meals before I could sit comfortably at a proper table. For the last month or so of my 'recuperation' I used it as a tv stand. A very cheap rental, perfect to go with your bed, which was a really smart decision by the way. I know everything will go well. It will hopefully draw a line under your hip issues and open a whole new chapter of your life. Sending hugs, Vicki x
 
sansabosa.....great news!!! I am so happy for you. Now you have the surgery scheduled, you will get healthy so you can travel again. I am 6 days after you so I will follow you into post op...take care and be brave.
 
Hi Selin-
Just wanted to drop by and wish you luck for your surgery day. My work is quite busy, so I'm not always able to check the list during the week.
 
nerdgrrl, Vida, sandybeach
Hi ladies,
Thanks for your best wishes and encouragement.

I am kind of moody today probably because of the elevated pain I have on my other knee (L), kind of inflammation pain and the unconfortable soreness on my left hip where the THR was done 15 years ago! I think it is wearing off. There is nearly no pain on my complicated right hip on which I will have the surgery!
I am kind of worried beacuse my left side needs to be strong post op (-:
I think I may need to have a revision on my left hip in the next 1-2 years!
I also wish and hope that my left knee pain will fade away after operation on my right hip this week.
Josephine,
Jo, any comment about the pain on my other hip and knee?
 
Selin... Do you have a stabilizing brace for the knee? Mine is called an FX brace. i don't use it all the time but like you, I wanted my good leg to be stable after my THR. I really used the brace during the 6 weeks with weight bearing restrictions. My knee is still a problem but I am coping with one thing at a time. It has been painful and swollen for a year, despite taking melodicam and doing physio. I have a GP appointment next week to talk about that and get an x ray. While in hospital, why not get them to ice everywhere that hurts!!!
Lyi geceler xx (hope that's correct!)
 
Hi Selin, we are hip buddies, same date!!! So nice meeting you, I have been reading your story today and very happy for you that your operation is happening, I hope today you managed to relax and chill a bit. I have been taken my two boys to their favourite restaurant Nandos and went shopping to keep my mind occupied, however once home my mind started working overtime.....I'm going for a LTHR ceramic on ceramic non cemented, I have left hip dysplasia caused by TB at the age of 7. After all the treatment with medication and a hip op I stayed in a tract for a year so the socket and ball good heal. Unfortunately it never grew as it should do and I was left with a deformed hip. Now 36 years later my hip has given up and is screaming to be replaced.
One more day for us and we can relax and hopefully all will go smoothly.

Best wishes
Stephanie
 
Hi Selin, good luck for Wednesday, I'll be thinking of you! You will be there before me now. I look forward to catching up with you again on the other side.

Love & best wishes
Kiwi Diane
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom