TKR Chugging Down the Track to Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery
Here is Paul on the parallel bars. Still has a lot of strengthening work to do to be able to stand and walk reasonable distances for reasonable time periods. We'll be going to out patient rehab twice a week until Medicare won't pay any more, and of course the government has not made a final decision on the amount it will pay out for 2013. We'll also be working at home too!


We've come a long, long way from the end of September. When I hear folks complaining that they aren't back to normal when they're only 3 weeks post op---I really wish I could get them to understand how well they're actually doing and to count their many, many blessings. It took Paul 4 months to even be able to get up and stand on his own with his walker and 5 months before he could take a few real steps. He has been a bit discouraged on occasion, but has never complained, never given up, worked steadily and consistently, and celebrated every milestone with joy and the anticipation of the ultimate goal---walking with his walker again on his own wherever he wants to, when he wants to; being able to get into his truck and drive again; walk into the storage building and get on his riding mower and mow the grass again.

Many thanks, love , and kisses to all of you who have followed us on this journey and rooted for us and prayed for us. Couldn't have done without you.
 
Judy it does make us feel pretty stupid complaining about our lack of progress sometimes when you think of the long journey Paul (and you) have been on. I have been following his story with interest and almost cried with you when he got up by himself from the chair. To look at that picture now and to see how far he has come makes my heart warm and I am just so pleased for you both. When you look at the before and after pictures of his legs well thats when I did cry. Thank you for sharing this last picture. Youve made my day and put a huge grin on my face even tho its 3.43 in the morning here and I should be asleep. Bless you both.
[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery
 
Watch out Judy, he's on the run now! What a trooper!
 
Hi Bottomshollow, I have just found this thread and read it all for the first time.
It is truly inspiring. I am so pleased with the fantastic progress he is making.
I am amazed that with all this going on at home that you can still find the time and energy to be such a wonderful support to so many people here.
Thank you so much. You are an inspiration too and a really marvellous person.
I think this was an excellent thread to read the day before my surgery, hopefully will help me have patience for my journey.
Thank you,
Toothfairy x
:thankyou: :friends: :yahoo:
 
Whoa, I just found this and I instantly smiled! :) Way to go Paul and Judy, you guys are an inspiration to all of us! :goodpost: I'm so excited for the two of you!

Paul, you've come a long way baby, and your chugging down the track at full speed! :thumb:

Stay well you two, great things are coming your way!
 
Way to go, Paul!:yay:
 
bottomshollow
And how is Casey Paul Jones doing now that it's a couple of weeks later.
Any plans to run a short marathon yet? :yes: :SUNsmile:
 
Judy, Paul is going so well!! The two of you always manage to take what life and circumstance hand you with such grace, and a never give up or give in fashion. Bless you both.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery
Paul is sending a salute to all of you who have been keeping up with his recovery, cheering him on, and boosting his spirits. There will be no running in the future---but being able to get around the house and the yard and out of his truck and into the store before climbing on the electric cart will be more than enough for both of us.

Walking with his walker is the biggie for us. He has permanent balance problems, so he has to have the walker for stability. But this is a slow process---getting all the muscles strong and retrained is a pretty tough row to hoe---but he's getting there ever so slowly. We are hoping that he will be able to walk into the OS's office for his June appointment---it's a goal, but we're prepared for disappointment. We've learned to hope and work for the best, but to be on the look out for the worse---easier to handle things not working out that way. But overall, we're both very optimistic that walking is in the future.

Thanks again to all you wonderful BoneSmarties who are always here for us.
 
It is amazing that he has done so well, after what I understand is a long period of not being able to walk. I can imagine how hard it must be to retrain the muscles. he has that determination and fighting spirit. You go Paul! You go Judy! you two are inspiring.
 
Well done and looking good young man. Slow and steady will get there. You are an inspiration and you are both a great team,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Very exciting Paul, and a salute back at you kiddo!:cheers: You both have so much to look forward to!:friends:
All that hard work will pay off and you're well on your road forward! God Bless you both! (((((HUGS)))))
 
[Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery karmigirl, Jacky48. Toothfairy, rlwintin, Janet2012, Titianlady, 1ELISEA, and kneeper: Paul sends his thanks and appreciation for all your kind words and blessings. It's nice to have a cheering squad on the sidelines---helps keep his spirits high.

ANOTHER MILESTONE!!!! Yesterday at PT, Paul walked with his walker 100 feet--with his therapist beside him and another pushing his wheelchair behind him with just one brief stop to rest.

In order to be able to walk more safely, Paul will be getting a special brace for each leg that will support his feet and ankles and keep them in line and also keep his knees from buckling. I hope they will actually work. We have had braces in the past to keep him from hyper-extending---a complete waste of time and money. But he needs to actually walk more to build muscle strength, but we have to keep him from falling. It will probably be about a month before we get these braces. Will certainly let you know how that goes.

So we are still making progress 6 months post op. Still hopeful that he can walk (with his walker) into the OS's office for his June appointment. Keep us in your prayers---you're all in ours. [Bonesmart.org] Chugging Down the Track to Recovery
 
I skimmed through Paul's thread - reading your posts. I'll gladly join your prayers. And here I sit, wondering if I'll be able to do stairs normally and without pain.

It will soon be goat kidding time that will require me to be a bit friskier, too. They are always soooo cute and inquisitive. Need to patch a few holes in the fencing. I had fun cuddling some young uns on a friend's goat farm yesterday. They looked sooo cute in their bright felt blanket coats scampering across the snow. I don't expect any grandchildren to be posting pictures of, but maybe I'll show off a goat or two within the month.
 
Judy I love Pauls picture with his cheery little wave. I admire him so much. I would love to see a picture of both of you together because you have done so well also; Youre an inspiration both of you. :friends:
 
This is wonderful news. I am thinking that the brace might have more success now because he has enough strength in his legs to utilize it better. Way to go Paul! Your perseverance is inspiring.
 
Judy, I can't believe the progress Paul is making, and how positive the future is! Prayers will always be with both of you my friend! :thumb:

I've been looking for your thread, because I wanted to tell you that I love your new avatar! Has yours and your hubbies avatar combined?

Stay well and positive my friends! (((((HUGS))))))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom