THR Chocolatine's New Hip

I had restless legs after my knee replacement and it drove me bonkers. Knee recovery is bad enough and add in restless legs... well I didn't cope.

After scouring bonesmart the best advice was elevation. Toes above nose to get the swelling down and in my case after weeks of keeping my legs up above my head and 24/7 icing all the way down both legs it passed.
So sorry to hear about your rough experience with restless legs- glad it resolved eventually. I have been elevating, but probably not enough. Did you use a special pillow to elevate?
 
I have never heard of a bed cage- can you tell me more about it? Does it lift the covers off of your feet?
I'm sure, Jenntee, will stop by and explain, but in the meantime, if interested, look up "Sheet and Blanket Support" on Amazon. It states it - Holds bedding up and away from feet and its under $20. Guessing they may be sold elsewhere? Possibly it will give someone in your life an idea on how to create the same for you.
Hope this helps!
 
I have never heard of a bed cage- can you tell me more about it? Does it lift the covers off of your feet?
I'm sure, Jenntee, will stop by and explain, but in the meantime, if interested, look up "Sheet and Blanket Support" on Amazon. It states it - Holds bedding up and away from feet and its under $20. Guessing they may be sold elsewhere? Possibly it will give someone in your life an idea on how to create the same for you.
Hope this helps!
Thank you! I had no clue such a thing existed!
 
Me neither! It looks like something you may easily replicate yourself though.
Looking again, the one I suggested for $16.99 wasn't on Amazon, but somewhere else. Sorry about that, but at least you can get a few ideas.

Amazon does have a variety though at higher prices, that's why it may benefit you to try to replicate the idea and possibly, Jenntee, will have some tips for you. :fingersx:
 
Wish I'd had one back in the day. I had a problem with one of my big cats napping across my feet while I was sleeping just after having my hips replaced. Made my feet swell up and my legs get numb. As for cold feet? Wear socks to bed if you need them.
 
Just a few minutes ago, the tips of my big toe was sore enough that I was concerned I had developed a crack in the skin. My husband checked carefully and didn't see anything, but it still freaks me out. I don't think the sensation in my foot is back to normal- lots of tingling, burning, zapping- and I am afraid I am going to end up damaging my skin without realizing it. I worry a lot about infection.
 
Yes, I got a crack on my heel & the heel slide was a challenge. Plastic bag helped it slide. But back to your toes is this only happening now?
I had to have the compression socks pulled about 4 inches out off my foot because any smugness from the very end hurt my feet. Same with socks. Even soft socks that are tight get taken off really quickly. Well, not really quickly since I can't reach them but as quickly as I can get to the grabber or shoe horn.
 
I noticed soon after the surgery that my big toes didn't feel quite right. Not quite numb, but if my husband touched them, the sensation was off. I get the numbness, then bouts of burning/tingling which also affects the top of my feet.

I also find that I cannot tolerate socks for very long. I am in Canada though, and no-sock November is not a thing. I can hear freezing rain outside right now, so it could be that the numb feeling is actually just literal cold feet. It's disconcerting to not be able to reach down and touch my toes. The urge to rub them is great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I lay on the couch fully stretched out and packed pillows under my legs starting under the top of my thigh right down to my toes going higher until my feet were higher than my head. I started with one pillow,two at the knees and three under my feet.

To drain away the fluid and swelling. It wasn't comfortable but it worked. Now this was knee surgery prior to this hip so I could stay bent at the hip 24/7.

I had the leg massager on in hospital for 4 days all day and night and wore compression stockings from day 1 for 3 weeks or so day and night. No swelling this time and thankfully no restless legs.

I also think there's medication for it now.
 
@Goma i hated those leg massagers, they made too much noise and just bugged me. I wore them for a week, then just did more leg pumps. Mr nurse team knew, they said it was ok because I was getting up every hour.
 
Yeh...either you don't mind or you do.I wore the stockings with the massager going at the same time.

They bothered me after a while too but I would have done anything to not have restless legs. :yikes:
 
I am happy to report that my restless legs have gotten much better in just a few days. I have been more diligent about elevating my legs during the day, which seems to help.

But I think the real relief has come from lifting the sheets and blankets off my feet. Not sure why exactly it helps, but it does, and it's saving the skin on my toes and heels as well.

I am moving around much more easily now, which makes me nervous that I will forget myself and move in a way that I shouldn't. Trying to be very cautious.
 
My advice...just keep elevating when you can. I iced my heels,feet,legs just everywhere and it helped.

I used pillows either side of my legs to keep the sheets off. I forgot to mention that till I was reminded.
 
Chocolatine,
Good news, do whatever works to make yourself comfortable.
We find inventive ways of dealing with each phase of our recoveries.
Stay well!
 
:wave:I'm glad you were able to work out some strategies to get a bit more comfy.
My legs stayed "agitated" for quite some time after my surgery...making consecutive sleep tricky and exasperating.:sigh:
Thankfully, resolved with time.

Power naps were a must for me.

Hope your Saturday is sweet!
 
@Chocolatine This summer when I had my right hip replaced, I slept with a sheet only over me bc I did not want the weight of the blanket. Now that I have done my left hip, when I transition back to my bed upstairs, I plan to wear warm pjs, warm socks, and use a sheet again and/or light light blanket. If my feet get hot, I will wake up my husband. :-)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom