Guest viewing is limited

THR Chappyd's recovery story

Hi guys!

Yep the 15th just went by. 5 months now, and so far it just keeps getting better. I was walking up the stairs today and thinking how great the hip works, it really is more like a real one, so far anyway . I've been riding my dirt bike pretty regularly now, almost every day, no issues , no falls. I think I have overdone it a few times, but any discomfort is a 1 if that, and it passes quickly. It's hard to believe it's only been 5 months. I told my wife the other night that my hip is doing really well, and over the last month has kind of matured if that makes any sense. Life is good with a hip replacement!! :dancy:

Oh and every time I walk by the metal detector, I still check the joint, lol. Think of you guys often. A hip replacement is a big deal, and bonesmart was a welcome place to hang out.
:thankyou:
 
Oh my stars...:doh:
Missed your Six month Hipversary!
Happy belated....:tada:
Hope you are feeling well and getting back to happy and healthy.

At 6 months, I felt great when up and about...but tightness was still pretty prevalent once I stopped for a bit.
Lots of improvement still to come.
Give us an update when you get the opportunity @Chappyd
 
Happy Six Month Anniversary!
Time flies when we're having fun and we know you're having fun.
Glad you liked hanging out here. Don't be a stranger though, we like updates.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Chappyd
 
6 Months! Time flies. All is still pretty awesome. I'm riding my dirt bike more days than I don't. My typical day off to work at 5 am, zoom around the shop for 8+ hours, up and down stairs, :) come home, and either ride the dirt bike or take the dogs for a walk, sometimes both. Weekends I'm working outside usually from 8-9 am until 4-5 pm. I had a small bump/knot on the side of my hip that seemed to last forever, that has finally gone away. I don't know what it was, just figure it was something my body needed to do/have to heal. The only thing I feel from time to time is some tightness ( using your word @Mojo333, been looking for the right one and that fits:)) in the butt after doing yard work, mostly when bending over repeatedly picking up brush.

I still look at my xray often in awe, finding it so hard to believe that piece of hardware is in my body. It feels so natural. This hip replacement has been an overall wonderful experience, from the relief of the pain, to meeting the people who fixed it for me for whom I will be eternally grateful, to sharing the experience with other hippies here, (Thank you!) All the sleepless nights I surfed through the forums reading other's issues, good and bad, having a place to hang while healing.

Today a co-worker commented that I seemed to be doing great with my hip, and my face just lit up with a big smile, and I said " I know, right?" I can run up and down stairs without even thinking about it. The only word I can think of to describe the last 6 months is Amazing, and it just seems so inadequate.

It's really brings a smile to my face to see you guys remembering me, and I think of you all often, even though I don't post hardly at all, I still come by from time to time to read. :beer:
:thankyou::hog:
 
:egypdance: I feel the same way...just grateful and happy to be shed of chronic pain and back to life.
 
Love it!
Thanks for your positive and uplifting post. It's certainly heartwarming and will be inspirational to those following behind you.
You're back enjoying life to the fullest, which after all is the goal.
May it only get better! :)
@Chappyd
 
9 months now! Mostly all is good. I'd say 95% +. I have started to push it more with exercise and noticed some light pain, but it is muscular. I notice now that both legs are not identical anymore, the right has still more work to do to be more balanced muscle wise. I guess I can still over do it, lol.

But regular life goes on without a hitch. We went to Disney this past week, and logged over 8 miles walking around on 2 of 5 days, and the rest were up there too. No issues to speak of. And as a bonus I get special attention from the TSA! No big deal but no getting around the body scanner now!
I hope all is well with all of you!
 
Hi @Chappyd :wave:
So nice to see your post!
Isn't it grand!:happydance::egypdance::happydance:
Thanks for the update.
So important for upcoming and new hippys to see such encouraging stories.
Keeps getting better and better!
 
Here's an interesting tid bit- We had gone to Disney a year ago, prior to me deciding to go ahead with the operation, between Christmas and New years in 2018. I had gotten a cortisone shot to hopefully help me through all the walking. This trip, when walking by the splash mountain ride, it was 54 weeks ago I was there in that same spot calling the ortho Dr's office to make my appointment for surgery. It was the first day of our 2018 trip and I was not able to keep up with the others. Keeping up is NOT a problem for me anymore!! :yes!:
 
At 2 1/2 years out from my double hip replacement, I am finding that I am starting to lose some of the wonder I have had over the amazing improvements in my quality of life.
Love to hear reminders through posts like yours @Chappyd
I have no pain...first and foremost.
My energy levels and physical condition have improved so much since I can be mobile and have been able to SLEEP again.
I am very happy for you to return to being happy.

It is a tremendous thing...these new hips.:dancy:
 
Oh my stars...:scaredycat:
Just read of your unfortunate fall, but sure am glad to hear your hip wasn't affected.
Sorry also your shoulder took the brunt.:sigh:
Please update when you get results.
Sending healing vibes...
 
I read it also, @Chappyd
I sure hope you're okay and nothing is seriously wrong with your shoulder.
We're here for you...Best Wishes for good news.
 
We'll find out Monday. That would be awesome to find out nothing happened that would require surgery. I still can't believe how fast it all happened, and how much it has bothered me since. Tonight it is at a point where I can get comfortable if I try. MRI's are a trip, 25 mins in a tube with a lot of loud noise. (This was my 4th :)!)

Thanks for the good wishes & healing vibes, you guys are the best!
 
Please let us know what you hear...we care!
I hope you have a pleasant weekend.
@Chappyd
 
Hi again, sorry for the delay in responding. So last Monday I went to meet with the PA in the ortho group's office that was closest to me. (same group that did my left shoulder, back, and hip, they now have 4 offices) The Dr. that works out of that office "doesn't like to meet his patients prior to surgery". I thought that was odd, but okay. At the appointment she came in and told me the MRI showed one of the rotator cuff tendons was completely torn off and I would need surgery to fix it. Didn't show me the MRI or offer any other course of action. I was just hesitating, not at all comfortable with the information I had been given. So I told her I would like to meet with the surgeon who fixed my left shoulder 4 years ago. She said OK, they'll make an appointment for you at the desk. I had to travel a bit to see him, but I am very glad I did. I saw him on Wednesday. He asked how my left shoulder was doing and I moved it all over the place and he was very pleased because that one was a "massive" tear, and he wasn't sure how good it would be afterwards. On to the right shoulder.. He told me he looked at the MRI, and he saw 2 tears, in 2 different tendons. (Nothing torn off) He asked if I was right handed, and I said yes. He asked if I would like to try a cortisone shot and PT for a month, and that waiting wouldn't hurt anything. I said sure. He then got out an ultrasound imager and proceeded to show me the 2 different tears. I then got my shot and a follow up appointment for a month from now.

So even between Monday and Wednesday my shoulder improved a little bit. Now most of the time I am able to get comfortable and use of my arm is still improving. PT starts tomorrow. I am cautiously optimistic it will improve enough that I will forgo the surgery.

kind of scary that I can get two very different routes to go from 2 different Dr.'s. My old Doc has been doing this forever, probably 30 years locally. The new Doc is from somewhere else, and worked for the Detroit Tigers at some point before he came here.

Anyway, mostly good news. We'll see how the PT goes, got my fingers crossed ! :)
 
Thanks for the update!
The doctor doesn’t like to meet patients before surgery? That’s odd and would have sent me in search of another doctor, myself. I guess I can see not meeting a surgeon until surgery if you found yourself in the hospital in an emergency situation warranting surgery immediately, but when you’re desiring a consultation in an effort to collect info to make an informed decision..that seems rather odd to me. The second surgeon sounds like a much better fit. I hope the combo of the injection and PT brings you speedy relief. Please keep us posted.
A great week to you!
@Chappyd
 
Hello and Happy One Year Anniversary!
With any luck your shoulder is better.... at least I hope so. :fingersx:
Wondering how you’re doing and whether you’ve received any relief from the combination of the injection and PT? Please let us know when you have time. We’d love to hear from you.
Be safe and stay well! :)
@Chappyd
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom