Guest viewing is limited

THR Chappyd's recovery story

Great work @Chappyd!!

The whole swinging the leg up on the bike is awesome isn’t it?
:biking:
I return to work next Monday the 24th, which will be my 2 month plus a day anniversary. I think I was mentally read to return around week 3!

Keep up the good work!

I will!! You too! I was kinda working from home. I could log into my computer and if someone had a task for me I'd do it. After a while there weren't many, I think they were too busy to bother.
I am trying very hard to learn to leave work at work. So far I am better than before. Before I would always keep thinking about all the stuff that went wrong that day, because the reality is I see all the bad stuff cause I'm the go to guy to fix all that stuff. A lot of good things happen , but those don't get my attention.

Good luck with your return to work!
 
On surgery day, my Doc came by talked a bit, and initialed my hip. He asked if I had any questions, I said I did, but I didn't want the answers until after

I never asked the questions, it doesn't matter anymore. I did see something about the hanna table, and I stopped looking right then and there. I don't want to watch it. I do know this though, if my left hip goes and needs to be replaced, sign me up!
 
Glad to see things are well with you:yahoo:
Have a good weekend @Chappyd :) :-) (:
 
Stopping by to say Hi :wave:and wondering how you're doing on this special day?
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Leave us an update next time you drop by and tell us all about your progress. We love updates. :yes:
A great week to you!
@Chappyd
 
Hi Layla! Hi Mojo!
So far so good. 7 weeks back to work already- that went by pretty fast. Things really are getting back to normal for me, which means doing whatever I want, whenever I want! The hip is fantastic. Still a tiny bump on my side by the scar. I am riding my dirtbike again, but only on an easy trail in my backyard. You know what is amazing? I can stand next to the bike and swing my leg up over the seat without touching it! that may not sound like a big deal, but I literally cannot remember when my leg didn't drag across the seat when trying to get on. I used to have to contort my right leg to put my riding boots on, and also just to tie my shoes! No more! I can practically touch my knee to my shoulder. Now it's becoming apparent how much my range of motion was affected over the years, but since it deteriorated slowly I didn't really think about it. Pain has been at 0 for quite some time now. We took a trip to Maine a couple of weeks ago- tons of walking without a second thought. I am pretty much back to my old self. I see my Dr. again on 8/9/19.. they'll take another xray just to see how things are, after that, it'll probably be some time before I see him again. I am forever in his debt!
Want to hear something funny? Last weekend I was out in the garage and noticed my metal detector hanging on the wall- Yep, I had to check my hip to see it that would set it off, and sure enough it did, lol. My wife thinks I am a nut!
:dancy: :cheers: :dogwalk:
 
:wave: sSo glad all is well with you.

I can stand next to the bike and swing my leg up over the seat without touching it! that may not sound like a big deal, but I literally cannot remember when my leg didn't drag across the seat when trying to get on.
I was also amazed about this with the wide ATV I like to ride. I am still careful, mostly, about rough jolts while riding.

Last weekend I was out in the garage and noticed my metal detector hanging on the wall- Yep, I had to check my hip to see it that would set it off, and sure enough it did,
:loll:My nephew has one...I am so trying it.:)
 
@Chappyd so good to hear from you and it sounds like you pretty much have your life back. Of course you had to try the metal detector! :snork: To be honest I'm sure most of us would given the chance!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Assuming all is well and you're enjoying the Summer.
We'd love to hear from you as it's been about a month.
Will look forward to an update soon. :)
@Chappyd
 
Thanks! Boy you are right on top of things! I saw my Doc on 8/9/19 for another follow up. Next one is in 6 months. Everything looks great, and I am almost back to a normal life. I still feel the muscles in my right leg aren't quite up to par with the left, but long walks, being on my feet all day and riding the dirt bike aren't posing a problem at all. I wonder if it will ever be the same eventually? It doesn't really matter, it's WAY better now.

When I was talking to the Dr. about riding dirt bikes, he smiled and said I'm not going to tell you what you can and cannot do. He said when Hip replacements first started being done, it was so older folks could regain some mobility and a degree of independence. As we started doing them to younger people and got better at it, the implants became better, recovery moved from gaining independence to being able to do the things that make you happy. He said he wants me to do what makes me happy. He also told me to be careful, and if I dislocated my hip or broke my femur to come see him. Obviously neither one of us wants that to happen, so I am being CAREFUL.
Looking back on the hip operation, it really wasn't bad at all considering what was done, and the benefits are outstanding.

Unfortunately for me other events are overshadowing a totally great summer. My Dad passed away after a short illness a couple of weeks ago (89), and my Mom fell and broke her hip. She's 84, and it is not looking good. She had a pin put in her hip, and that is doing ok, but her general health wasn't very good and that is making any lasting recovery doubtful. That combined with added stress at work over the last couple of weeks I have literally drifted into a funk where keeping track of what's what has become somewhat difficult. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure it will pass in time.

Thanks so much for remembering me, it made my day to look on the forum and see I had an alert! The hip replacement and this forum are highlights for this year for sure. :)
 
So sorry for the loss of your father, @Chappyd

We have another member, @zauberflöte ,who is dealing with her elderly mother trying to cope with a recent hip replacement with dementia. :sad:
It has to be certainly hard for them and aren't we lucky we could get our hips fixed now so we can heal and get on with life.:yes:
As we started doing them to younger people and got better at it, the implants became better, recovery moved from gaining independence to being able to do the things that make you happy. He said he wants me to do what makes me happy. He also told me to be careful, and if I dislocated my hip or broke my femur to come see him. Obviously neither one of us wants that to happen, so I am being CAREFUL.
Glad you are able to get back to what you love and :beg: be careful.
 
Unfortunately for me other events are overshadowing a totally great summer. My Dad passed away after a short illness a couple of weeks ago (89), and my Mom fell and broke her hip. She's 84, and it is not looking good. She had a pin put in her hip, and that is doing ok, but her general health wasn't very good and that is making any lasting recovery doubtful. That combined with added stress at work over the last couple of weeks I have literally drifted into a funk where keeping track of what's what has become somewhat difficult. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure it will pass in time.
. :)
Hi @Chappyd ! (And thanks @Mojo333 )
I feel your pain Chappyd! Our poor moms. My funk seems quite as you describe, and I don't even have a hip of my own to recover. My mother's fracture was not suitable for pinning, so at nearly 92 (and already in late stages of dementia) she had a partial replacement. The nursing manager at her memory care has not passed on the discharge notes to her floor staff, and I cannot and will not stay with Mom each and every day, so despite two PT sessions in which she outdid herself, the actual long-term recovery is in jeopardy. Two bright happenings do shine out-- she does not seem to be in too much pain; and, she has accepted the wheelchair as a mode of transportation. If only she'd done this last fall, or last month, when she could get into my big ancient minivan! The places we could have visited!
I would chat more but my day must begin. Good to meet you, and you sound like you're coming along well! Dirt biking is not something I do anyway, but it just seems to me that trying that before next spring is an instant ticket into the ODIC (OverDid It Club), which is not the least bit exclusive, pays us (in pain and sometimes ongoing problems) to join, and has the least fun meetings of any club I can think of. Just sayin'..... :angel:
 
Hi @Chappyd I am so sorry for your loss and the continuing worries about your mother. We are having many of the same issues (my husband and I) with our mothers, in fact my mom passed in June at the same age of 89 and Im her power of atty and all that it involves..
Then a couple weeks later I was on the surgery table for my right hip. You are correct, it's difficult to pin a description to the funk and if you're like me it varies in intensities and has blindsided me a couple of times..
I rather love your surgeon's viewpoint and pep talk about the dirt bike riding.. I'm guessing being out in the outdoors on that bike eases your worries a bit.. I am almost imagine it here myself! :yes!:
Loved your update and look forward to hearing how your leg IS all the way back to the forgotten hip!
 
Aww, I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your precious dad a couple weeks ago. Equally sorry to hear about your mom's Fall and subsequent hip pinning. Please don't lose hope, she may rally, you never know. You're dealing with a lot in view of the news in regard to your parents coupled with stress at work. My heart goes out to you. I hope you're able to get some well deserved rest to help you get through these rough times.
Prayers for peace of mind and some restorative sleep.
Please stay in touch, we're here for you. :console2:
@Chappyd
 
Hey @Chappyd
How are you doing? We'd love to read an update when you have time.
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Have a great week :)
 
Yes, love to hear how you are doing @Chappyd
We know folks get on with their lives, but we love the updates and so do up and coming new hippys so the light can stay bright at the end of their recovery tunnels.
Hope you've been well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom