Guest viewing is limited

TKR Cflower's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm up at 4:00 am this morning, left for Houston at 5:00, checked in at 6:00 and laid around for awhile before going back. Was home by 11:00. No problem with the general, never do. The doctor said he got a 20° more bend and that I would probably have never worked through that at the physical therapist (and I do trust his judgement).

My leg feels a little stiff. I guess I thought I was going to be able to get up and it be like I never had surgery. I'm going to try and be patient with the results because I have heard that I could lose some of the ROM (which I don't feel like I have 115-120 now) in the beginning. I have PT this afternoon at 4:00. I asked the doctor when he came in post procedure about what kind of therapy he wanted and was delighted when he said NO PASSIVE exercises or pushes. So, I guess we will see what I can do. Sure hope this breaks the stall I have been experiencing.

Going to go jump (step) into the pool and try and do a few bends and pedals before therapy this afternoon.
 
Appears to have been a breeze---sure am happy for you. And into the pool
[Bonesmart.org] Cflower's recovery
before PT this afternoon! WOW! Keep us updated, we care.
 
Pt could only get me back to around 95 ths afternoon. Long day, swelling and up since 4:00 am. I'm going to try my best. Sure hope I can keep what he gave me at MUA once swelling goes down. Doc says usually doing this once is enough and he though I would be fine. Even though he wrote no passive therapt on order I let or push a little. He never pushed longer than about 5 minutes total anyway. I just wanted to see if he could get some of. My rom back that doc gave me. He couldn't. He didn't have me do any of the weight bearing standing exercise today. But could do the bike once I got started. I'm telling mt knee please, please, please behave because I want Rom.
 
Hang in there CFlower. The first few days are challenging. You need to rest, and ice/elevate a lot. I had my MUA and in the beginning few days it was great, until pt started pushing so hard. That caused swelling and unfortunately lost what I had gained by the MUA. Please take it slow and easy. Many people here have had MUA with great outcomes.

Will look forward to your updates. Be well,

Dawn
 
So, on Tuesday when the pt stretched me he got me to 105°. Of course I cannot do that on my own.

The problem I'm having is with my calf and thigh muscle. They are so sore I can hardly walk. I had pretty strong muscles to start with so I don't know if that is the problem that maybe they were tight and when during MUA they did my knee if it did something to these muscles.

For the last three days at PT he only has me doing the exercises that I do laying on the big table and the bike. He doesn't have me doing any weight bearing exercises.

I think in the beginning I left the impression that he was really pushing on my leg hard. I've been thinking about it and I do 99% of the exercises on my own with them telling me what to do. When he does the stretching to measure it hurts but the way he does it seems to make it bend. He puts his arm under the bend of my knee and presses then he massages a little then he puts my foot flat on the table and the he holds it that way awhile then he rubs the shin part of my leg until he feels like he has a good bend and then he measures. So, I've decided to let him keep doing that even though the doctor said no passive exercises. I guess this isn't an exercise at all but a stretch. Whatever he got me to 105 now if I can keep it. I've been going every day and will the rest of the week. Next week I will go back to 3x a week. I just wish my thigh and calf muscles weren't so tender. I have started taking more than the 1/2 pill I was down to of the Hydrocodone until I get the muscle pain gone. I hope I continue the process. I have been in bed all day since PT icing and using heat pad. Yesterday after I returned home from PT got in the pool and did some more and that may have overdone it a little.
--Sherry
 
Sherry it sounds like you're going nice and slow and that's good!:thumb: Once you rest over the weekend and do 3x a week starting next week you'll see that things are improving!

Stay well and stay positive, it will get better!:friends:
 
So, this Thursday I will be 8 weeks post op. I'm still hovering at around 100‚-105°. The PT has not had me doing any weight being exercises all last week when I went 5 days a week. This week I will be going 4 times and have started back doing some of the step ups, the leg press etc. Therapist says that the reason it isn't bending more (and I believe him because I know my leg) is that I'm guarding too much. When he tries to stretch it out after I have warmed up a big he can feel my muscles tightening up in calf, around knee and even my ankle. Big question, is how do I NOT do that. I feel like when he bends it to a point it will not bend any further. We know the doctor got it to 120. Anyway, he bends it, lets it hang loose, massages it, then bends a little more etc. so it isn't an all of a sudden big push to get it to bend. How do I keep from fighting him off. He said by this time a lot of his patients are already at 120 or more. He did mention that 6 month window (I'm just at 2 months) that after getting past 6 months it's hard to get more ROM. I know I read a lot of stories on here about people that continue to get more ROM for a year.

Maybe I need to quit laying so much with my legs straight. I am back to doing laundry and most of the cooking etc and going out to the movies at least twice a week. He says that when I'm sitting around to bend my knee. He said I could do too much exercises that would make the knee swollen and stiff but I couldn't bend it too much. He said using the strap like I do at therapy is a good way to increase ROM. I have that exact strap at home so no excuses. I put one of the loops around my food,pull back to at least 95°, hold this for 3 minutes and every so often give it a little more tug.

I'm still doing my pool exercises once a day. What more could I be doing. I am going to start getting impatient especially if I don't see the rom get better after going through the MUA.

Does anyone remember if there were still at 100° at 8 weeks?
 
Went home yesterday (Saturday) three days after surgery. Taking two hydracodone at a time. After getting home I walked around a little. Tried to get walkers through bathroom dor. Doesnt fit so I have to go in sideways. Will fit I'm main bathroom but not toilet room. Did some exercises then took two more pills and a two hour nap. I took pills at 12 and again at 5 and slept great. I used one of my long pillow sham and put it lengthwise on bed with another small pillow under foot for elevation. Pushed pain med to 4 1/2 hr should have taken at 4 because the pain started. Will keep on topof it from now on. just felt little dizzy for first time and I think it was because I hadn't eaten anything. Will be glad to see what happens at first pt tomorrow.


To get the walker to go into the bathroom, switch the legs on it!! Put the right walker leg on the left and left one on the right. This puts the wheels on the inside of the walker. I learned that from my PT. It works. I had the same issue with my bathroom door, and this solved it.
 
At 8 weeks, I'm past the walker and cane I just need ROM. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi CFlower,

Try not to get impatient. You are only at 8 weeks, and the notion that after 6 months there is no opportunity to gain rom is not true. Many people here have continued to gain rom for a year or more. Don't give up hope so quickly.

I believe that you need to continue to ice and elevate, it may be that there is stil swelling going on, even though you may not be able to see it. The space in the joint is so small, the least bit of inflammation will get in your way.

You may be fighting the pt in the stretching. It's difficult to give in when your body doesn't want to move that way. Something my OS suggested is to learn how to meditate, and that may help with letting the muscles release. Slow deep breathes as they stretch you can help.

Something else you could try is lay on your bed face down, use your strap to wrap around your ankle and gently pull your foot towards your butt. Deep breathe while you do this, and keep trying. You may find you get some gain with that. I also would sit in my rocking chair with my feet under the chair and rock back and forth, each time move my foot back a little further.

I am not sure this will help but it can't hurt. You could also try deep tissue massage to help with the muscle contracture. Loosening your gsatrock and hamstring will really help you.

Please keep us posted and please don't give up. I am a year out from my LTKR, had the MUA, and most recently 1 week ago a capsular release, replace the spacer and scar tissue removal. I am now finally seeing there may be light at the end of my tunnel.

Be well,

Dawn
 
At 8 weeks, I'm past the walker and cane I just need ROM. :flwrysmile:
ROM will come. For a lot of folks, it takes more time than the PT try's to aim for. Don't get discouraged. Just keep up your bending gently every day. Try and put a towel under your knee not your foot, grab the two ends and lift while sliding heal toward your rump. This is a gentler way to help the leg along than the towel at the foot. My pt taught me that one, and the ROM got better a little at a time without hurting me as much. I started out at 80 and at 4 weeks post op using this method I was at 118. I still use that method every day and am now almos 8 weeks and am at 130. Don't give up, and don't get discouraged. It takes time, and no two people heal at the same time. You will get there inYOUR own time. Please don't compare your progress to someone else's. This recovery comes in stages and takes a year for primary healing. The bone will continue to heal around the implant for 2 years.
Hang in sweetie. You are doing fine.
 
Today a very good day. Had a theaupetic massage this morning. Hour massage that turned out to be 1 hr 40 minutes. I have never had a massage this intense and it was a deep tissue. She pressed some trigger points. Did some chest massage like on sternum ( I guess) did IT band work. Even popped my toes one by one. Stretched back. Did lots od leg work and stretches. Of course she went easier on new knee. She said She could feel the lymph glands in knee are swollen. She told me about an herbal tea that she uses and she said it works for her to flush out the swelling in glands. The tea is pau d'arco made from inner bark of a tree found in south America. I plan on going to her at least once a week for a month and then I will switch back to my massage envy membership. This lady just has a lot more training than Texas requires for their therapist. She went to school three years, did internship in Colorado hospital and was a therapist at the olympic training center in bolder?

About an hour after massage I had just enough time to pop 11/2 pain pills ne go to therapt. He stretched me to 100 quicker than before and when I did leg presses set at the same setting as yesterday I was able to lower all the way down using one leg at a time. I actually feel good today even though I tossed and turned all night because I had a coke t the movie which was not caffeine free. I red the bike better and didn't walk as flat straight legged. So was it the intense massage or just a good day. I'm on my third glass of pau d'arco tea. We will see if that keeps me up all night in the bathroom. Haven't had any pain meds since 1:00 (7 hrs). Will hold off until bedtime.

Hoping preach day will get a little better v
 
Hi CFlower! You sound like you are doing great! I would sure love to know the name of that massage therapist that you went to. My OS told me that the only thing from keeping me from bending my knee further is soft tissue. Like when I first start peddling the bike, I am using more of my heel than the forefoot where one would normally place their feet. After a while it loosens up and I can peddle normal and my knee does fine. I would just like to get past the stiffness that I have when I begin each time. Stop in and see me at the Shenandoah FF sometime, I am there all day Thursday and Friday's. I would love to really be able to meet one of my Bonesmart buddies!

btw, good job on the pain pills, doesn't it feel great to just all of a sudden realize "Hey I have not taken a pain pill for X amount of hours!" You are well on your way, so happy for you!
 
Hi Bonnie,

It is Tammy Carrol at TamsHands. Right now she is working out of Brikam yoga that is above pottery barn at the woodlands. She is opening a place soon in the back side of The Woodlands and plans on putting something at her new home on the Lake. I would assume that is Lake Conroe but don't know what part. This was the best massage I have EVER had and can't wait to go back again. She does have packages of massage. I plan on doing one a week for maybe a month. What is your ROM since you had surgery March 2011. I peddled the bike exactly like that. In fact I looked kind of weird. My left foot was going along for the ride until recently. I got on the bike after the massage and had no problem. At home sometimes I have to go backward first because that is a lot easier. I haven't iced but once today and I don't know at 8 weeks if I should be doing that more.

Josephine -- (don't know if she will see this) somehow my birthday is totally wrong. November 13, 1947 is correct. Can't imagine years ago when I first set up account, why I would have put that down. Also I don't see signature under my goat picture. I did go to signature page and put something end but looks like I must have done it wrong.
 
Thanks so much for the info CFlower! How did you find her? After my surgery I got my ROM to 137 at about 7 months post op. When I sat so long in the hospital I lost ROM down to 110, but went back to PT to regain it. As long as my knee is not cold it will bend pretty well, it is all the cold air conditioning in Houston! Warm up the knee and it does fine...let it get cold, it gets stiff and less ROM. But I can't complain, I am no longer in pain, I ran a 1/2 marathon and can cycle for 35 miles (so far) at one time!
 
I found her when I googled thereuptic massage in the woodlands. That is fantastic that you did a marathon. I don't even like walking let alone run. I would rather get on a bike and ride ten miles than walk around the block. Probably because my knees have not been that kind to me over the years. I would love to get on a bowling league after I have both knees done. I use pyro be a very good bowler with high game once of 256. I remember the last time I tried bowling my form was terrible because I coud not bend my knees right withou them hurting.

Going to a pre wedding party up in Granbury tomorrow then to Austin on Sunday to see the grand kids have not seen the newest in ten weeks. That's a long time. Worried a little about party. It's outside hilly and will be hot. If I get tired I can sit down.
 
Fixed your DOB, cflower. Not sure what you mean about your signature. it looks fine to me.
 
What a weekend. Will I EVER learn what to do to take care of myself? Saturday morning we got up and I squeezed myself in front seat for a four hour drive to a post wedding party (we have to miss the Mexico wedding because I can't fly yet) I have ice packed and did ice on nd off. Could not elevate because I could not bend enough to get the knee on the dashboard and that was a little scary anyway just thinking of my leg stuck in the window. So we get to hotel and elevate and ice for about 2 hours. We get to the hillside lodge for the party and stand f or about an hour and then to get to dinner we had to walk down a pretty steep gravel road to where the tables were set up by the river. Baby steps and my husbands arm was all tht got me to the bottom. We left about 8:30 for a 30 ride back to hotel up the next morning and left by 7:30 for a 3 hr drive to Austin to see the grand kids. We had not seen them in 10 weeks because of surgery so there wasn't way I was going to go in and go to bed. So I sit up all day (my fault). No exercise. Now in bed with swollen stiff leg. Trying to hold it above my head with strap. Up tomorrow morning for another 3 hour trip back home. Sure hope I did ruin any progressive made up until now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom