Guest viewing is limited

TKR Cflower's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my Cflower, sorry you had such a bad day. Maybe you should not be cutting back on your pain meds. I know you are concerned that your OS will not give you any more, you can go ask your GP. If you are swelling and in pain then you need your meds.

You are doing too much, all the exercises, CPM and then the grocery store-no wonder you were in tears. You were walking stiff legged because you did too much walking at the store and probably swollen. You are still so early in your recover and are really doing to much.

You know the more you push your knee to bend, the more it is going to rebel and be swollen and painful. The combo of that and cutting back on your pain meds will put you over the edge. You really need to rest your knee more.

Yes, it's all normal what you are going through. You have to be patient and not push your recovery.
 
I hope tomorrow is a better day, my friend. Talk to your OS about the pain meds. You may be surprised. Because of the many posts about this specific worry, I asked my OS about this already. I told him that I didn't want to be in a position to beg for medication if I truly needed it. He looked at me like I had 18 heads and assured me that I would get what I needed for pain. I know for a fact that at my hospital, you get pain meds from the treating physician. My PCP wouldn't prescribe if her colleague that was treating me said no. It is all in the EMR.
 
What a bummer day. Are tears and depression normal. I've been trying to cut back on hydrocodone to 1 every four hours instead of 2 every 5-6 hours don't know if that is the reason for more pain or not. Rom not great. I went to sleep with knee hurting and woke up with it hurting. Husband took me to grocery store bthst was hard. He kept pointing out to me I was walking stiff legged. I'm tired of this and see no end in sight. I have decided to try and get out to 24 hour fitness even if I can't do anything but upper body exercises. The only reason I'm trying to cut back on pain pills is that I'm afraid the doctor won't give me more.Are these normal feelings? I WANT MY LIFE BACK. :(

Cflower, I was put back on crutches 24/7 several weeks ago. Hopefully, I'll be off them soon but it did wreck my great plans to have a ROM of 130 degrees by now. My PT has been great, she massages and bends my knee without stressing it and has managed to keep and even gain ROM. So yes, I can relate, really I can!

Ummmm.. don't they have those riding carts at the grocery store? Use one of those and see how many people dodge out of your way quickly. Really, though, if I had someone to go to the store, I'd give them list and let them do the shopping.

If your knee is swollen it is really hard to get it to bend. And ice is the best for swelling, more exercising for swelling........ eh, not so much.

If you need more pain medication, TELL, ok, explain to your dr, that the medication is not working to control the pain and how can the two of you work together to get the pain under control with the proper medication. Let him know you are doing your part with icing and elevating but that has not been enough.

The doctor can't help you if he doesn't know, and cutting back because you are afraid he won't refill, well...... that is wrong on so many levels. You need the meds, work with your dr to get the proper dosage and the pain under control.

I had to laugh a little at your comment on how to make your knee relax. When mine isn't, my PT will stop and say "touch your knee here" and then shows me where, and says, "now say nice knee,". And you know, between saying it and laughing out loud, it relaxes!
 
Today a good day. With bending and massaging a little and more bending she got my knee between 90-95 and she said she got it to that point quicker. I was dreading the recumbent bike because I have not been able to turn it complete revolutions. BUT today I started backward peddling and all of a sudden I made it around and around and around--LOOK MOM I CAN RIDE. Then I went forward and again I turned and turned. I was quite a spazz though with my leg hip coming off the chair almost with every turn. But what the heck I did it.

My cpm machine was picked up today. I had it 21 days and I don't think I will miss the 5-6 hours a day I worked on it.

The pt likes the way my knee looks. He said better than most they see at this stage. Still a little bruising but leg is getting more to normal size. I like the look already of ths knee cp better that my other worn out knee.

I made peanut butter shadow cookies this afternoon for pt and a new neighbor then taco salad for dinner. That may have been a little too much work but it was great getting back to the kitchen.
 
Way to go on the bike! :yes!: Probably go easy today with all that activity yesterday, though.
 
Aah CFlower , you are absolutely normal..patience is very hard to practice. I felt exactly the same as you and for a few weeks after. I thought I'd never be able to walk again! You need to be a bit kinder to yourself. Keep up the elevating and icing. You will still have more ups and downs to come but you'll get there
 
Good day. No machines but did allmy exercises twice today. Went7 hours today before taking pain med. I had company and I just forgot. Actually made dinner. -- crb cakes with red pepper horseradish sauce, baked sweet potatoes with rosemary and some garlic sautéed Swiss chard. Sitting by pool (I want in) with glass of wine and watching hub float around. I can't wait to be able to get in and do some exercises. Wode bike 30 min today but mostly rocked back and forth and made full revolution few times. Started walking a little without walker. Actually felt like setting up tripod to take pictures of my crabcakes for my blog. Maybe things will pick up.
 
Cflower, you are doing really well--I was started on 2 Norco #2s (10/325) every 4 hrs. and didn't start to cut back till 2 wks post-op: 1-1/2 pills every 4, then 5 hrs; 1 pill every 4, then 4.5, then 6 hrs, where I am now. Started taking one 650-mg. extended-release generic Tylenol at bedtime and one after breakfast. I have one Celebrex left--nurse says to start on 2 Aleve at bedtime; take the last Celebrex tomorrow and switch to 1/2 a pill (as much hydrocodone as a #1, the pill you're on, but half the Tylenol) every 6 hrs. for 2 days, then every 8 hrs. for 2 days, and if I can handle it, only at bedtime and breakfast. In other words, I will go from a 10 mg. dose to 5 mg. overnight--my surgeon's office would not prescribe the 7.5mg ones or the 5/325s that are splittable--halving the dose all of a sudden seems really abrupt to me I wish I had enough of the Norco #1 5/325s left that I used to take (half a pill--2.5mg--for sleep) before my surgery, so I could split them and taper off more gradually. But I haven't tried the Aleve yet, which might really help with the pain and stiffness.

What worries me is that last night, only 4 hrs. after taking my one Norco #2 and one 650 mg. Tylenol, my pain actually woke me up for the first time since the first couple of days in rehab. Only it wasn't my operated R knee but my L one! My L one has been bone-on-bone in the medial compartment for a few years now (when I asked abt. replacing it, my previous ortho said "YOU tell ME"), but I'd been coping with an unloader brace and topical NSAID gel & patches. I tore my R lateral meniscus 2 yrs ago and had it scoped--that ortho told me it wasn't ready to be replaced, even after I told him I kept feeling it pop & tear on the lateral side. But by Dec. 2011 I'd just about had it, and went to the top surgeon in town to arrange for a bilateral TKR. He said that at my age & weight (and with 3 antibiotic allergies) it was too risky to do both at once; but he surprised me by saying that the R knee was worse because it had less ROM than the L, it was bone on bone in the lateral compartment, and he suspected I was continuing to reinjure the lateral meniscus. I also had lots of hardware in the R tibia from a bad fracture suffered in a collision with a car, and the tibia was basically a matrix of bone chips and epoxy. Turns out that the tibia had actually begun to re-fracture and my surgeon had to remove twice as many screws as he'd expected--and my rough knee surface had indeed just about shredded what remained of my lat. meniscus. When I began getting into & out of bed in-hospital with the walker, I could feel my L knee grinding, and for the past couple of weeks I could hear it crunch, but the pain was still only in the medial compartment and I figured I could get by with the unloader brace, Aleve, and topical NSAIDs until all my travel and performance commitments were over by mid-Dec.

Unfortunately, the L knee pain is now BOTH the medial twinges AND lateral sharp burning. That's what woke me up--and the medial twinges actually started to feel deeper. I had to apply what was left of my Voltaren gel to my L knee and, when it was 6 hrs. again, take my Norco--still took nearly an hour before the L knee quieted down. I have a call into my surgeon's office for a Voltaren gel scrip (I have enough Flector patches--generic Voltaren, aka diclofenac, but they're pricey and you shouldn't sleep with them on) to get me through till I can schedule the L TKR. I hate to think I'll have to go through this all over again (especially the fear of clots & infections, and the devil of a time they had placing my epidural catheter with my scoliosis....which I'd forgotten I even have), and this time it'll be in winter (unless I completely flush my performing career--and my bandmate's--down the toilet). But we didn't have a bad winter last time, and with this brutally hot summer I haven't gone out much anyway. Found out NW Memorial hospital IS in-plan (just got the much smaller, revised bill) so I needn't wait till my surgeon moves to Evanston Hospital.

Interesting you should mention top-of-foot pain--3 yrs ago I developed it in my L foot. Previous ortho said it was probably a stress fracture, but his partner (a podiatrist) said it was "cuboid syndrome," which happens a lot to dancers and basketball players when they land after jumping. Got custom orthotics (which fit all my shoes) plus that scrip for Voltaren gel. (The Flector patches were for the L knee, back in Dec. 2010 when I wasn't ready to schedule a TKR).

My surgeon doesn't use a CPM machine--and does not prescribe TED hose for obese patients, especially those with spider veins. The cuffs cut into the calf or behind the knee and can actually cause clots. Ironic that you are doing way better than me for pain control, yet my ROM is greater and I haven't even needed to use my cane (exc. for stairs and outside the house) since 14 days post-op! That proves that everyone's recovery is different, and that your body, espec. your knee, calls the shots!
 
D.Diva. Looks like you had your surgery a week before mine and you have a lot better ROM. YOu sound like you are doing better than me in tapering off pain med but I'm not ready to take a chance with my knee hurting a lot. I will go from 5-6 hours and 1 1/2 to 2 pills. Usually at bedtime I definitely take 2 and sleep great. Guess that is to be expected.

Today I had my 13th physical therapy since coming home. (surgery on June 27). I feel like I should have better ROM than I do and I'm getting discouraged. When I told the PT today that I had a doctor's appointment tomorrow then she had to measure me. This was after she had already done all the bending and straightening which I think hurts like heck. I end up sweating like I have run a mile or two. Anyway. She could get me to 97 but I can probably only get myself to 90°.

I really feel like I'm doing all I can. I have at least 10-12 different exercises I'm doing twice a day and then physical therapy three times a week. I have the bike at home now that I try to ride 10-15 minutes twice a day (been doing that about 5 days now) and yesterday for the first time I got in our pool and did some of my exercises and used a kickboard and kicked 10 lengths of the pool. Left leg only cooperating some. I did front walking, side walking and some other aqua exercises. It's just that my left feels sooooo tight sometimes I can't possibly bend it any more. So how do I get more ROM. My husband keeps telling me to push a little harder which makes me furious because then I get mad at him and tell him he just doesn't understand how tight it is. I now know it has healed and I'm not going to bust open the wound and I guess the fear of blood clots doesn't enter my mind as much. It's just that I bend it as far as it will go and then a tiny bit more.

I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm dreading it because I do not want him to be disappoint and I DO NOT want him to mention MUA at all. I need to go back and reread others ROM comments. At the end of the session today I started crying. Like I said before, I'M NOT A CRYER. The therapist asked if it was something she had done and I said no, I just don't want to NOT GET there and I don't want to think this is all the ROM I'm going to get. She reminded me that was just my 13th session. She said they were not ready to release me yet and I told her I don't want to be released and hopefully the doctor will keep prescribing it. Why wouldn't he, it isn't money out of his pocket and I have 90 therapies I can use between both legs with no co-pay. I just felt stupid getting so emotional and I know everyone heals differently, I just don't want to be a crippled with a limp the rest of my life because I didn't try hard enough. And I want my other knee done as soon as possible and he might not do it if I don't get good enough ROM.

Iknow I always talk about how hard they bend my knee but in between bending it, she's massaging it and I actually do walk out feeling a lot better. My calf has gone from 16 1/2" first few days after bandage off to 14 1/2". Amazing that it was swollen that much.

So bottom line, I'm 33 days from surgery with only 97° best for ROM, can that still be considered fairly good or passable. My scar and leg looks pretty good I only use walker for bathroom at night and use cane during day but can walk without it.
 
Hi,
I had my surgery two days after you and I can only get 92-96 degrees bend. I think we are find, it is just SlOW!
The rubber band below my knee is just NOT cooperating. I can do all my other exercises. I ride my bike too.
But maybe this 4 week mark is just a booger.
Anyway, hang in there, we will get it done!!
Silver
 
D diva. I have a tube of voltaren actigo 1%gel that I bought in France in march. It was over the counter. Is ths the same as you have. I don't feel any tingling effect when I use this. Do you. I keep wondering if it works. I was will to try anything there. The meto killed my knees. I ended up buying a brace for my right knee and mt hips even started hurting. I reported to the crem a brace and some tape I used on my left knee (tkr one). I knew that was my last trip until I had two new ones. Now I can't wait to get second one done and plan a trip to Ireland.
 
Yup, Cflower, that's the Voltaren gel I use. I don't get any tingling, just the cooling as the alcohol in the gel evaporates. Isn't it frustrating that so many meds that are Rx-only here are OTC in Europe? I plan to bring back some when I go in Sept. As to MUA, I doubt they do it for 90 degrees of flexion, certainly not 97, especially not this soon after surgery. I had my first outpatient PT today and I had only 115 at the beginning of my workout, and getting to the 127 I had Fri. at home was extremely uncomfortable. But my new PT did a lot of scar tissue release massage, which she will do at every session (3x/week for 6 wks). I wonder if you had more stubborn scarring than I did. You sound as if you are doing everything you should and then some. At any rate, remember that everyone's recovery is different--I'm still not driving yet, though some RTKR patients report doing so at 4 weeks (maybe because they have no choice). No two people will have the same tolerance for pain, the same kind or level of pain or even the same location of the pain. Your knee might have been in worse shape pre-op than mine was (I was bone-on-bone only on the lateral side of my R knee, though it was a doozy). And you are 4 years younger than I am--which means your nerves are younger and probably more sensitive than mine. People also metabolize meds differently--if you are slimmer than I am (and I'd bet you are), you probably have a faster metabolism so that the painkiller wears off sooner. I made it through PT today on 5 mg. of Norco at 11am and a 500-mg. generic rapid-release Tylenol 1/2 hr. before my session started at 4pm. Felt great, didn't need my cane--then stood in the deli for 20 min., needing to lean on my cane after 10 min., and I have had to ice for a solid hour now. Go figure!
 
Went to see OS today. He said I oy have 90rom on my own. He had not gotten the report from pt. I told him they got me to 97 but that was pushing so hard it almost brings tears to my eyes. He told me to tell them to not push so hard just let my knee do it. He more of less said what is said on this board and that is if they stress it too much I will not get results. He said I don't need to be doing anymore exercises than I'm doing now-- pt three x week, exercises 2x day on other days plus I have the recumbent bike I have started using and moving around some in the pool

MUA -----yikes. I was so nervous about those three little letters. He didn't push just suggested it meh said he does 350 replacements a year and about 10% of those would have MUA. He uses a general and says its no big deal meh said in 25 years he's never broken a bone (I asked). He said I would go to sleep and wake up able to bend probably at least another 20 degrees and go home. I will be five weeks out on this Thursday. I've read on this site that doing it too early I may not get the same results as if I waited because now I could still have some swelling and that could be part od the problem. Somewhat would you do and if you have had a MUA would you do it again and did you lose some of that gained rom after MUA and had to work hard again to regain it OR are you just starting pt at a better place with more rom

I've heard people talk about massage therapy. Is that a special type therapist or any MT. I have a membership at massage envy so I don't know if that is the right type.

OS also told me to start taking 3 alive a day quit my meloxicam and take Tylenol along with my hydrocodone. I told him i was trying to cut down to to one hc every 5 hours.

I know it is my leg but I'm not sure how to approach the pt tomorrow and tell her to start going easier in the bend. I have strong leg muscles so have no problems with any of the other exercises.
 
Tell the PT it's what the doc said. Pull out the "big guns" if you have to. :heehee:
 
Can a chiropractor do anything for scar tissue.
 
I told pt today that the doctor said not to bendmy knee so hard that he would rather the knee do most of work on its own. So today no hard bending. Do great on exercises. I have pretty strong leg muscles so I don't have problems with any of the exercises. I will be five weeks tomorrow. Only using cane when I go out. Cooked a friend Ameal today that hat foot surgery and then made shrimp and grits for my Bunco group. Went to Bunco, did nit use cane once I got there to walk from tale to table. Leg stiffer than I would like but I don't feel bad at all.
Tomorrow looking forward to pool time.
 
I feel like I'm a whimp sometimes and I should sart tapering off the pain meds (5/325 hydrocodone). Sometimes I still take two like before bed and before I go to pt. sometimes I forget and go 6-7 hours then freak out and think its going to sart hurting really bad. Like I said above OS told me to start doing Alieve 3 x day Tylenol when I need extra help along with the hydrocodone. Am I suppose to figure out how much hydrocodone I'm taking to then see how many Tylenol I can add. I think in the pain med I'm averaging 2500 mg of Tylenol a day right niw

Yesterday I heated up spa while I was doing my pool exercises. I then got in spa and did some more leg lifts and lunges. The warm water(which I usually o not like) felt really good on the knees.

I am starting to have sore calf on my right (good but still bad) leg. Surgery in left. I think that couldbe from a step up step down exercises I'm doing.

Cycle is doing better. Rode the recumbent 10 min yesterday with BOth feet stepped on pedals and my hip was not coming up ever turn like I was doing. At five weeks I have only been using walker at night for bathroom. I sometimes use cane at home but definitely took it to move yesterday along with one of my flush ice packs. Sat in front rower rail nd ice knee with leg up during part of BATMAN.

I still have stiffness and wonder if I'm ever going to get past 100 without doing a MUA. That doesnt frek me out as much anymore. The doctor and pt both said its no big deal. He uses a general so if I decide to o ths down the road at least I won't be awake.

For those of you who had a MUA-- did you go immediately to pt when finished at the hospital. Do you lose the flexion really quick that you just got with te MUA. I was hoping for the 110-120 then continuing with the pt would help keep it at that and improve. the doctor told me that oing a MUA sounds like breaking bubblewrap. I feel like this s what pt has been trying to do without anesthesia :(

I cooked 3 hours a couple of days ago with no problem other than getting tired standing then decided to sit on barstool while shelling shrimp-- huh. I should have been doing ll my cutting prepping sitting.
 
Cflower, i had both knees done Jun 4. On one knee, I didn't get to 90 until past two weeks, and then it stayed there for at least three weeks before improving. Now it's 118. I didn't do anything special to get there, just the normal gentle PT and some time. I'm sure it will continue to improve slowly over the next several weeks.

I had eliminated the Percocet for a few days, only taking celebrex and tylenol, but really wasn't comfortable, especially at night, so started taking one Percocet and one tylenol. I mentioned it to my OS on Wednesday and he had no problem with me still taking something. He gave me a new script for percocet and also for tramodol, which can be taken staggered with the percocet. The tramadol makes me sleepy, so I take that at bedtime with 2 tylenol and take 1 percocet with 1 tylonol twice a day.

All this is to say, give your knee some time before you worry too much about the ROM, and you are not a wimp for taking meds. Heck, at one month, I was just stopping the oxycontin!
 
Thanks Janet. I still feel a lot of tightness when I do bend it. Could that all be scar tissue already or will this tightness slowly go away giving me more rom. I think I can be patient as long as I know I will eventually get there. My only concern or should I say one concern is I want to do the other surgery end of September. I have to go on Medicare in November and I don't want to have to deal with that for my knee. I'm out of pocket now for insurance so not paying any co pays for anyithing I guess until the Medicare starts. Pt is costing me zero now and I have 90 visits which should cover both knees. The doctor doesn't want to do rtkr until this other knee makes more improvement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom