TKR Cflower's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean I thought water caused it. Typically I don't drink enough but have been drinking a lot more. I was wondering if the pain meds could cause the uti since I've been taking them so long. Don't know what's up with this strep b bacteria. That's what was in urine. Had that back in june with other knee surgery. Sure hope that isn't something that will stick around forever.

I will let the doctor know Monday that pt could get me to 115 to see if he still wants to Do MUA. Leg still gets pretty stiff and seems like I have to stretch it constantly. Hope some day it will just stay stretched.

I will retread all these threads again while in hospital. Sure glad there's wifi there. This time around its a NO CUPCAKE zone I woke up from surgery thinking of cupcakes. I never buy the things. If I wanted a good cake I would make it myself. But last time my husband went twice to buy them two friends brought them when I got home and my husband got on this peppered potato chip kick. I have freezer stocked up with lots of meats and vegetables this time around.
 
Hi Cflower!
I have been catching up on some threads. You are doing well IMO. Knee replacements can take soooo long to recover from.
115 is not bad at your stage.
I do not think that you are crazy for doing the other knee. Get it done and out of the way. Sometimes it is just better to let your knee do it's own thing while you recover from the 2nd TKR.
ROM is gained gradually over time and people report that at 2 years post op they are still seeing improvement!

As far as your UTI.
If it is strep, that can in some cases be very difficult to eradicate completely, which is why one can get frequent UTI's. Strep is a bacteria that can colonize the woman's GI and GU tract. These people are asymptomatic mostly, but some do get frequent UTI's.
Drinking alot of water helps "flush"out the system, but what is needed is an antibiotic that will kill it.
Strep can also be resistant to many antibiotics, so hopefully the lab has supplied your Doc with a list of acceptable antibiotics.
Narcotic meds do not cause or affect UTI's.
Best to you.
Sandy
 
Does the stiffness EVER go away. Bonnie was telling me she still has stiffness after 18 months. I'm having RTKR tomorrow. I sure don't want to walk like a penguin the rest of my life. Hope pain control goes as good this time as last. I am asking to take the cpm home with me this time. Dic doesn't like using it and lady time I requested it four days after I got home and he gave in and let me have it. I don't want to wait four days this time. Will post after surgery.

Can a pic be removed here once it has been posted ? Just wondering.

Gotta go make some egg rolls to put I. Freezer and a big pot of cabbage soup I plan on having for lunches. Hope today goes fast. In fact I wish I could wake up and it was next may.
 
Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! I don't know if you've decided on the mua or not, but I had btkr and there was not enough space between the thighs to have two cpm machines at the same time, had to switch off. At 12 weeks I was 118/120 and now at 17 weeks I'm 125/125. I'm happy!, hope you will be, too!
 
Janet do you still have stiffness? I'm still thinking about MUA. Guess I think why not. I could do heel slides with the MUA kneeand I'm packing my stretching strap. I'm going to ask him what he thinks. I didn't have the cpm machine when I did the first MUA so I guess I don't need it for tis time. I guess I could trade off new/old knee .

Crazy me decided to go to store and buy ingredients to make a big pot of that cabbage soup recipe that floated around years ago. I'm hoping all those veggies will keep THINGS moving. While there I picked up stuff to make homemade egg rolls. Soup on stove and egg roll filling done and cooling and I'm icing in bed for awhile. Crazy thing NOW my shoulder hurts. I really think its from sleeping on my side since I'm use to sleeping on stomach.

Actually looking forward to not being able to run around so much. At least now I will have a good excuse to not do anything except stay at home and exercise and go to pt three times a week.

I will get home from hospital Thursday and pt said I could come on Friday if I wanted. If not I will have to wait until Monday. Playing that by ear.
 
Good luck tomorrow CFlower, I hope you have smooth sailing and great pain control. Will wait for your update and hope for the best!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Actually looking forward to not being able to run around so much. At least now I will have a good excuse to not do anything.
.
Exactly! Best wishes for tomorrow and see you on the other side with knee #2.
 
Good luck tomorrow Cflower, and please don't rush into PT when you get home. Slow and easy wins the race!:thumb:
I hope your UTI is getting better. Stay well and stay positive my friend! I look forward to reading more of your story!:friends:
 
Cflower said:
Janet do you still have stiffness? I'm still thinking about MUA. Guess I think why not. I could do heel slides and I'm packing my stretching strap. I'm going to ask him what he thinks.

Sure, I still have stiffness, but less all the time. I expect to have some for a while yet.
 
5:20 am and feeling pretty good. Ths time around I was back in room in time to start cpm machine same day. I also had morphine this time and clicking it every 8 minutes. Trouble with blood test again. This time though I requested a nurse and had them write down NO AIDES to take bloodm. Pt comes 9:00 this am. So at least no roommate so able to watch TV as much as we want. 2 tvs per room anyway. Doc said everything went ok and he did the MUA on the left and was able to do the heel slides a little. Will try more of those when pt cones. Surgery on Monday and doc said could go home Thursday and maybe Wednesday. Not sure I want to go home early. Crazy huh?

For lunch and diner I had no appetite. Hopefully I will be able to walk to bathroom today. Hate those bedpans. They threatened catherer so I finally used it. All for now hope to grab a few more zzzz's before breakast.
 
Not sure what I'm getting myself into doing the other one so soon but I don't want to waste anymore time with this.
Correct, IMO, 100%. Every day you don't get it done puts back the date of your final recovery by 24 hours -- getting it done now means they recover in parallel, not in series. Go for it.

115 is fine as Jo says. Keep up gentle stretching and it'll get better, slowly and steadily.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well!
The bedpan is a great motivator, isn't it???
 
Good to hear things went ok.
 
Congrats CFlower!

Sounds like things went well and that you are on a good path!

Take care,

Dawn
 
Day two from surgery. dressing came off today. My husband said he thinks it looks and feels a Thousand times better than the knee in June. For one thing it isn't as hard to the touch. That may change. There's some bruising but nothing close to the toe to upper thigh brushing last time. Day of surgery doc h ad me to do cpm machine to 40. That was eay. Then next day he said 65 but not over 70. i got to 70. Today he said to 90. Although when stood up with pt to do exercises the one -- where I hold onto handles and just bend the knee -- it was are to. Do. She said it was because the machine was doing it one way and my own muscles the other

One great surprise is the MUA was great success. Doc said he could hear a couple of pops. And when I sit in the chair it can really bend back a lot. I dont want to lose that. Didn't sleep so good last night but then nurse gave me a muscle relaxer and something else and that knocked me out.

Hope things keeps on an upward path. I think a lot of the things I was afraid of the first time wont bother me again
 
My notes are not making any sense. Sorry. My leg hurts like heck and I don't feel like the hydrocodone is working as well as with the other leg. (325/5) The new knee still isn't as swollen as the left one got. I thought it was looking better then today it started turn back down on my heel and the leg is yellowish now. Hurts more behind my knee today than anyplace else and some above knee cap. I stayed on my cpm machine about 4 hours thus morning and got it to 110. Would really like the hydro to out me asleep but it doesn't. Sleeping ok at night just really hard to turn. I'm not staying up other than to go to bathroom and kitchen. I made some tuna salad this morning and that could not have taken more than 10 minutes and I was exhausted. My mouth feels like it is stuffed with cotton. When I'm not on the cpm I'm on the wedge pillow with ice. What am I doing wrong. Can't believe how short my memory is from June surgery.

Ltkr June 27, 2012
Rtkr oct. 1, 201
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom