THR Celebrex to prevent HO post THR?

Hi Jaycey, cannot tell you how appreciative I am. I could not find this info anywhere. I will tell my doctor. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.
 
@tikismom - any difference in weight between the new and old hip joint is negligible and will not impact your mobility. There are people jogging with replaced hips without issue. I prefer walking (everyday, weather permitting) but jogging is not a problem. My OS did tell me that running marathons with my new hips might decrease their longevity. I'm quite sure you'll be able to run again if you so desire. It just takes desire, time and patience.

Also, I used Celebrex post surgery for pain. I only used it a few times but it worked well.

Good luck!
 
Hi Harryn and Clipper! Thank you both for thinking of me. I am now 9 days out and yesterday did my elliptical for 30 minutes and walked 1/2 mile. omg, I guess I overdid it. Today I am in agony at the very point where the implant is and can barely lift my leg without pain! I have taken Celebrex (not for pain b/c it doesn't work on me,) but for heterotopic ossification, a major complication of THR. Have either of you heard of it? I must take Celebrex 2x daily, 200mg each time, for 30 days. I was also given Tramadol which I have used only twice. I will use it again today. My doctor told me there are "no restrictions" on me whatsoever. He also said the same thing that Clipper's doc said. If I choose to run, I will use up the prosthesis' longevity. I had decided a long tme ago that I will never run again for that reason. BUT the elliptical and walking are a different matter. I am wondering if it is possible to have dislocated the implant since everytime I walk, turn over, lift my leg, etc. there is pain. Through this entire journey I have not had that. So today I will do absolutely nothing (except take a Tramadol). I will call the doc if the pain doesn't dissipate and eventually go away. I hope you both are doing well. Harryn, you sound like you are doing exceptionally well and are my mentor in this! Thank you!
 
I am now 9 days out and yesterday did my elliptical for 30 minutes and walked 1/2 mile. omg, I guess I overdid it.
My friend you need to SLOW DOWN! At only 9 days out you should not be touching an elliptical or walking a 1/2 mile. Just because your OS said you didn't have any restrictions does not mean you can do anything. Your hip is traumatised - let it heal.

Go back and read these articles:
Activity progression for THRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Ice, elevate and take your pain medication as prescribed. There will be plenty of time for exercise after you hip has healed.
 
Harryn, you sound like you are doing exceptionally well and are my mentor in this! Thank you!

Lol, I am definitely no mentor- I am just your regular every day shlump who got an arthritic hip replaced. And I overdid it in the early days, and set my recovery back, and this is not what I want for you.

The elliptical is great but *not* at 9 days out. The thing with overdoing it is you feel great while you’re doing it. But come the day after, and you pay.

Yes, you’re active, you’re fit and you don’t wanna lose it, and you cant bear to sit idle. Boy, I get that.

But they used power tools to chop off your femoral head, they reamed the marrow outta your femur, they hammered titanium into your leg and hip, and they cut through and pulled apart muscle to do all this. All while seeping a cocktail of chemicals into you. And you’re probably still on blood thinners.

Just be good to yourself.

Take. It. Easy

Ps. Don’t worry _ You have not dislocated, you would have been in the ER immediately in mad agony unable to move.
 
Harryn1 said it all in perfect graphic detail.
Please stop the madness. It's too early to be on an elliptical for 30 minutes.
We don't want to see you suffer pain or set-backs.

Use the ACTIVITY PROGRESSION FOR THR that, Jaycey, left you above as a rough gauge of what you should be doing at this point.

I hope you'll take this to heart before you're forced to slow down through an injury or set back.
Wishing only the best for you. We do care.
@tikismom
 
Thank you all for your responses. I know you are all correct! I have been relaxing the last day or so, doing only a few exercises recommended by my OS. Now if the adductor pain would just go away, I'd feel much much better! Harryn, you really said it best. While reading your vivid description of the trauma my leg just experienced, I got shivers and felt awful about abusing it more. haha NO MORE! I have learned my lesson. Thanks, guys!!!
 
I'm happy to read this. It may, or may not, take patience and and some time to resolve.
I'd consider dropping all exercise for a few days with the exception of walking.
Here's the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't had a chance to read through it all -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Wishing you comfort and quick relief. Enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:
@tikismom
 
Harryn, you really said it best. While reading your vivid description of the trauma my leg just experienced, I got shivers and felt awful about abusing it more. haha NO MORE! I have learned my lesson. Thanks, guys!!!

I think I might have been binge watching a bit too much Fargo.
 
Hahaha, Harryn1. You are one terrific guy..I can see that. And Layla, I must agree with you. I walked a little today and plan to do a little more tomorrow. From my hips to my lips, thank you!!!!
 
@tikismom - What you're doing at 9 days sounds like way too much. I walked a lot after my 1st THR too soon and my thigh swelled to the size of a watermelon. It took months of slow (very slow) increases in physical activity to regain ROM, strength, endurance, and balance. I suggest you slow WAY DOWN going forward, listen to your body's aches, and have patience.

Good Luck!
 
Hi, Happy Friday :SUNsmile:
I hope today is a good one for you.
Keep up the icing several times a day. It's so helpful for pain and swelling. At lest I found it to be.
The forum Nurse, Josephine, recommends icing several times per day at 40-60 mins per session.
Hope your day is comfy cozy!
@tikismom
 
Hope things have eased up since you've eased up.:ice:

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!:reindeerlights:
 
GM, Mojo333! Thank you for writing. I went to the doc for my first post-op and he said I was doing well. I told him about my exercise routine (what's left of it anyhow) and he said to continue, so I am. I asked him about walking and he said to do so as my body allowed. My husband and I began our daily trek a few days ago. He does 2 miles ans I do 1/2, albeit very very slowly and feel wonderful while doing so! I was in very good shape prior to the surgery, however. Used to running 2 miles, and I had physical therapy to increase my ROM and strength in each limb prior to surgery, so my body is ready for some more exercise. Easy does it, I know. And I do!
Have a wonderful holiday and a very happy New Year to you!
 
@tikismom You have exactly the right approach to all this recovery business. Easy does it - slow and steady. You will get back to all the exercising you did pre-op. Just give that hip time to heal. Well done!
 
Sounds like you're doing very well!
Easy does it, just as you're doing. It's nice you have hubby to walk with.
I hope you had a lovely Christmas and are looking forward to a New Year with no more hip pain.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@tikismom
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom