THR Celebrex to prevent HO post THR?

tikismom

Country
United States United States
Is anyone else on Celebrex prophylactically to prevent heterotopic ossification? Anyone have radiation?

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us. :welome:

Following you will find the Recovery Guidelines. Please read them in their entirety, lots of useful information.
Stop by often, we'll be here to support and encourage you along the way.

I'm tagging the forum Nurse @Josephine to address your questions.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @tikismom

Thanks Layla! I have been on Celebrex, 200mg twice daily, since Monday. Lightheaded, dizzy, upset stomach, etc. Side effects can be awful, BUT the other meds (NSAIDS) are not as effective and radiation is not for me. Just asking Bonesmart if other patients are on Celebrex and experiencing some of the same side effects.

You're welcome.
I'm sorry you're suffering such horrible side effects. Hate to see you continue on like that if there are other options. Possibly Josephine will comment on that. I'm sure others will stop by with their Celebrex experiences.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@tikismom

You're very kind, Layla. Thanks again.

Hi @tikismom . I was taking celebrex pre op, to cope with the arthritis. It was effective, and it gave me good relief, and even helped my limp - but I developed an allergic reaction to it. My surgeon prescribed arcoxia post op.

NSAIDS are bad news - so I am relieved to be off everything.

Hi Harryn, good for you! So glad to hear you are off all meds. They are all horrible and have side effects. Was the arcoxia prescribed for heterotopic ossification or for pain? My celebrex is just for HO. He prescribed Tramadol for pain, but I don't take it because the Celebrex makes me loopy.

It was actually prescribed by a rheumatologist just for pain, who advised against having a THR and to just take celebrex. A case of a brilliant guy giving really bad advice..

In truth I dont know if it was part of the pain killing regime regime, but it probably was to prevent H O. As he also had me on Synaleve for pain.

So glad to hear that!!!!!! I am 5 days out and just took my first pain med, so I feel a lot better. The Celebrex was wreaking havoc on my system but my body seems to be adapting to it, so I finally took Tramadol (pain). My limp is still there, but I am assuming it is an antalgic (due to pain) limp, and will go away. Fingers are crossed, Harryn!

Wow, I did not realise you are only 5 days out.

Of course, you will still limp for a while - your’e surely still on crutches. The pain and the limp are all temporary, your body is recovering from the trauma of hectic surgery. But, you will be fine, believe me.I wish you strength and a total event free recovery. Take it very very easy, ice like mad. This is a really great forum, everyone will support you!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It is a truly remarkable surgery. I asked the surgeon if my hip had arthritis in it anymore, and he said it was totally gone forever! Such a great surgery! Excited to get rid of the limp and walk miles again. I used to run miles every day. Of course, that's history. But I have been on the elliptical 2x daily for years, but am looking forward to being able to walk a distance (outside) with no pain. Happy for you and for all of us!

Yes, you will walk, and be doing it pain and limp free. Just give your body the time it needs to heal.

My surgeon told me *not* to run, but I am back up to doing 75km rides on my road bike, and will do a nice gentle twirl on my mountain this evening, when it cools down a bit. I also ride my indoor trainer most week nights, and I am planning to do laps in the gym pool this holiday. Walking, cycling and swimming are forgiving, and allow you to keep fit without jarring your beautiful new hip.

Of course, you will wait a good few months to get clearance to do any of these activities. Active people are most at risk in early recovery, cos we feel lazy when not exercising, but this is a dangerous state of mind, which actually set me back in the early weeks of my recovery. I jumped back in too quick, and caused needless psoas inflammation. So, its a case of do as I say, not do as I do!

Read the activity progression progression article posted by Layla.

I hope you have a good day, and a wonderful weekend.

Your advice is brilliant! Yes, I am an active health enthusiast and the fact that this prosthetic adds extra weight and is precluding me from running (forever) is in fact daunting, but I will return to my previous life (walking and elliptical) slowly, as per the doc and you! Although he has placed NO restrictions on me, I want this hip to heal properly and I will do my best not to thwart that in any way. Funny thing: I asked so many surgeons the weight of this implant, and not one of them knew!!! I imagine that's because it wasn't going inside their bodies!! haha Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a blast doing all the fun things you used to do and WITHOUT pain! You are so encouraging to me, Harryn...

Lol, it is not my advice - I have plagiarized it from the people in the know here. But it is good advice.

How are you doing today?

Hahahaha, Harryn! How's your weekend going? Aside from my right elephant's leg, I'm doing okay. Swelling. WOWOWOWOWOW! And Jaycey, thank you for the referral. I'm going to the Library now.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016