THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Hi @Jaycey Wow so interesting about ......
The Donkey Sanctuary provides me access to the UK's leading equine behaviour specialists who coached me through Dozy's crisis.
. I have been studying Equitation Science through Dr. Andrew McClean and his wife Manuela, who come here once a year for clinics, since 2014. We had a lovely vet here who went to Australia to train and qualify with the McLeans. The vet friends is in living in the UK now. It is so great to apply the behaviour science to equines, and learn how their brains are made up (small frontal cortex, so not much reasoning going on, but huge amegdela for flight response, no object permanence). I'm not sure if donkeys are the same, but they must be very similar. It is so helpful in supporting our critters get through scary situations. My young guy is good about being trimmed, but he had his first set of front shoes yesterday, as he was getting a bit sore up front from daily work without shoes. The trainer he is with at the moment is big on behaviour theory too, so the first hot shoeing experience was a positive one yesterday. My farrier is great too. We do a lot of overshadowing to help with things like shoeing. I am big on positive reinforcement too and all my horses are clicker trained.

How did you work through the scary farrier visits with Dozy? Makes one wonder what happened before we got them doesn't it :sad:
 
Last edited:
Yesterday was physio appointment. Physio checked out how op hip and pre-op hips were functioning or not, how much I was limping on #2 hip/leg etc. He gave me very gentle strengthening exercises for #1 hip/leg, that I can do for the next two weeks pre-op #2.....as he calls it, some small change in the bank, as compared to the money in the bank that I did for months prior to surgery #1. No reps, just do them as i go about my day, until I start to feel slight fatigue, but no pain or stiffness. Most of them I do when I'm standing at kitchen sink, brushing my teeth or doing laundry, except for the non weight bearing. He gave me four weight bearing: baby squats (basically bend my knees a little bit); calf raises to comfort; hip motions (foot to the front, foot to the side and foot to the back, mix it up); one leg balance. Three non-weight bearing: straight leg out/in to comfort on back, baby clam shell (shudder) laying on side with pillow between legs and knees bent - think about raising top knee as if you were going to do a clam shell but just so muscles begin to engage, and then relax (this hurts...no surprise there, so no go for me!); bridging - progress to 1 leg as tolerated (I can bridge easily, but am not comfortable doing the one leg so skipping this!). He was firm about not over doing it and if painful, not to do it. Suggested that I get the evening barn chores (like making up feeds and hay) done as much as possible, in the morning, so I'm not doing chores when my muscles are fatigued at the end of the day.

The whole thing is so overwhelming sometimes, going into second surgery, but it is sure nice to have the support of one's OS, Bonesmart and phsyio!!

On Tylenol consumption, seem to be cutting back. Always take first thing in AM, and at bedtime, and sometimes dose in middle of day, often I don't take middle of day.
 
Last edited:
It sounds like your physio provided some helpful direction for the next two weeks as you wait for your second surgery, @Alitm. And I think you are smart to do what you can tolerate without pain or discomfort, and to jettison the rest. Once your second surgery is over and you're well on your way to recovery, you can think more long term about physio/exercise/strengthening/flexibility going forward. I think your goal of doing what you can to prepare for your second surgery is great, and very much how I think of you--deliberate, mindful and careful. Great job! I know you aren't really looking forward to your second surgery (as in, "oh, yay--I get to have fun surgery again!") but I also believe you've done so well at your recovery from your first surgery AND you know what to expect so I am betting it will go more smoothly--you'll be less anxious and have a better sense about how things will progress once you're in recovery. Cheers, and happy November 1! Onwards!
 
Hi @Barbaraj, is it pouring in your neck of the woods......it is good and soggy up here!

I feel stronger and stronger every day, but the visit with my four legged child yesterday zapped me last night! A good reminder of "when you think you are here, you are actually back there" :gaah:.

Surgeon and physio think that this surgery will go well, in that I know what to expect...but I am going with being flexible...kinda like giving birth and having a birthing plan....it never goes as planned!!!:heehee: I hope I can tailor the narcotics a bit more, so I don't have to feel so zonked , and still be comfortable. To be honest, it's the narcotics and anaesthesia fog that I dread the most:flabber:. Also want to try and go from the walker to the crutches a little sooner so I can be walking more fluidly earlier on...of course remembering my week two escapades last time which landed me in the recliner for four days of recovery! Last time the OS said (on day 11) the walker held me back, but he reminded me on Monday that he didn't want me falling over either!!! :swoon:.

How are you doing? I'll get over to your thread later tonight :SUNsmile:
 
Hey, good morning, @Alitm! Yup, it's soggy and dreary here, too. Would have liked to take a walk with my husband today, but I am definitely not an enthusiast when it comes to outdoor exercise and rain. If I were a tougher woman and had the kind of responsibilities and chores that you have I would hope I'd rise to the occasion. But here it is almost mid-morning and I'm still wandering around in my bathrobe and slippers, lazy, lazy, LAZY! Good to know that you are already thinking (of course, how could you not!) about how to make your second surgery a more successful one--sounds like better control of your medication to prevent excessive brain fog while still remaining comfortable, will be a focus. For me, if (argh...when) a second surgery becomes appropriate I think I would also like to be a little more disciplined about medication, as in having a "plan" and not feeling so anxious all the time about what to be taking when. I feel as if I only needed the heavy duty stuff around the clock for a couple of days, and then it was just at night for a couple of weeks, and then the gradual weaning off. Okay, maybe except for one night when I didn't wake up for a dose and was very uncomfortable (before I realized setting an alarm was key) I think in my blundering I did okay. I was never in any pain--just "in ache and stiffness" which really doesn't quality as pain in my book. I will definitely want to kick the walker to curb as early as possible again, but otherwise I am not sure I'd do much else differently. Seems like your recovery has been mostly smooth and unexciting, which is what we all hope for ourselves. I know you're rapidly coming up on #2, but you've got things well in hand and I know you're going to great again. Have a good Saturday!
 
Last edited:
Hi @Barbaraj,
I am officially back on barn duty, minus my boy who is out with the trainer, so it feels good to be back in the barn doing things the way I like them done for my furry children! I am so thankful for all the help I have received this far...just nice to “putt around” on my own. I swear it like therapy (yes hard to believe moving manure could do that for one...it is something to do with the repetitive nature of the chores, and listening to horses contentedly munching hay!) and I leave my worries at the door! However, I might add that I hauled out all the rain gear yesterday and today, as getting wet is not an option! It was not fun getting out the door this AM in the deluge!

Ugh and I have a virus or something in my computer! We were having a major internet speed drain, and our provider remotely identified my lap top as the culprit, so will see if I can sort that out tomorrow. Such a pain!

Yes, the time is flying by to #2 surgery! Lots to squeeze in between now and then. Sound like you are already formulating a plan for yourself, for when the time comes.

Our daughter arrived on Thursday afternoon and then promptly left again for a weekend course she is on in Vancouver! She is back tomorrow night!

Hope you get our at some point this weekend, or have family coming over to visit.
:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning, @Alitm. Well, I'm up! We are leaving in about an hour to head over to my daughter's house, for a full day of babysitting, including schlepping the grands to swim lessons. Daughter and her husband are off to a football game today, preceded by brunch somewhere beforehand. I am sure I'll be exhausted by day's end for as much as I love my grands, I am not used to being with them for long periods of time--it's Tylenol Time this morning, I'm thinking, as a preventative measure.

Okay, you are right--shoveling manure doesn't sound like my idea of a fun morning, but I realize with horses you don't really have a choice, and if you find it relaxing (sure have a hard time wrapping my head around that!) then all to the good. Plus, I'm sure it's good exercise for you. And with second surgery around the corner now, keeping busy and focused must be helpful. Glad to hear your daughter is returning tonight, I'm sure you're looking forward to that and I hope you get in a pleasant visit with her before she has to leave again--or is she staying for awhile?

Good luck with sorting out computer stuff. I hate that stuff. A techno person I am not, but fortunately have children who are much more clever than I am (although the bar is pretty low) and can generally help me get things fixed if needed. It's a whole new world out there when it comes to this sort of thing.

Happy Sunday!
 
Sounds like you're living life and doing well. I understand how the barn chores would feel satisfying and fulfilling. It's real life.....and you're back at it. Hope you're able to get your fill before the 16th so you're ready to chill again for a couple months. I'll bet by Christmas you'll be feeling pretty good.
Wishing you comfort as you wait out these last days!
@Alitm
 
Good Morning @Barbaraj! We have SUN here...hope you are getting it too :SUNsmile:.

Did you have a great day with the grands? Hope you had fun with them and the preventative Tylenol worked out!! :dancy:

Spent some time on the computer issues yesterday and the short story is that I do not have a virus, thank goodness! Loving Best Buy's Geek Squad! :yes!:

Back in my youth we used shovels in the barn....but over the years the crazy horse women's back said "enough" and the lightweight plastic pitch fork was invented!!! Makes life much easier! Sometimes a shovel is needed for small thinks, but I avoid using it and stick with the pitchfork! Also have super lightweight wheel barrow with only three "ponies" to take care of - thank goodness for technology and synthetic materials! When we get crazy snow, which is rare, I take the tractor and muck out into the bucket and drive that to the manure pit. When the hips get sore, one looks for alternatives! :ok:

Going to my RMT for a therapeutic massage this morning...looking forward to that. :yes:
Hope you have a great day :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning to you, too, @Alitm. Still hard to think that "barn chores" would be fulfilling for anyone (simply can't imagine for myself anyway), but I know it's what you love and it helps fill your days with purpose until you are laid up again with hip #2. And today you've got a massage to look forward to as well. Good start to your Monday. Grandkids were well behaved, and in and out of the house most of the day (anticipated rain never materialized) so my husband watched the football game and I read my Kindle. We did let the grands convince us to do an indoor picnic with a blanket spread on the floor where I gingerly lowered myself down, and then kind of arched up into a "downward dog" to get up (not Ms. Graceful, that's for sure!) but I managed without doing any damage and I'm sure the preventative Tylenol was a sensible move. Glad to hear your computer is back to normal, gotta have that to stay in touch with all your Bonesmart travelers! Have a great day.
 
hello horse lady @Alitm Hope you're having a great day as you count down to number 2. when is your husbands hernia surgery? are you and his procedures going to overlap? will you have enough help? We go see my hubby's OS next week, his PT says he is ready for the next shoulder surgery. I'm hoping he goes in soon. We both so want this all to be over so that next spring/summer is pain free, fun, and productive.

My trainer made the top ten at the AQHA world in the junior cutting. I'm happy for him. The AQHA world level is not quite super top tier, that would be the National Cutting Horse Association competitions. and those are pretty tough. I am just so pleased that in our backwards little corner of Wyoming there is someone who can help me, and as it turns out he stays current. and competing. Somebody told me once there are a lot of people out there who tell you that they are "horse trainers" but it does help weed out the do-it-your-selfers to find someone who actually gets out there and competes. how you going know that the person your working with knows enough to help you compete if they are not actively competing?

I'm also getting anxious to ski this winter. i am going to do very simple skiing. but i am hoping we get a lot of snow. we have a tiny one lift ski area here, but we also have a fantastic nordic center. when my daughter gets here in December, she said she would go with me to the nordic center and start building endurance. i think that follows the bonesmart program of activity level, it will be over 8 weeks.... I'm trying to find ways to sit on my butt and do nothing, or work at the computer. it just takes me a long time to get caught up with where i left off. and i want to move more.

Have a great week and enjoy your trip to see your boy go this Friday. 10 days to go!!!

cheers
LM
 
Hey @Lmflora My hubby saw his GP yesterday afternoon. GP said hernia isn't an emergency, but has referred hubby to surgeon, so we wait some more. My hubby's latest is that he doesn't want anyone to help and would rather wait until I can drive and be able to grocery shop etc. I guess the next step is to see the surgeon and see what he/she says. Ideally I would love it if he can wait until 12 weeks post op. Our daughter has three weeks off in January, so I really need to know if she could come back and help, if Hubby got an early January date. I'll be six weeks on Dec 28. I'm going to have healing overlap, as 2nd surgery is at nine weeks post op first surgery, so may not heal at the same rate as this past surgery. I'm wondering how I will heal, if I follow the same activity progression as with this hip. It will be good for me to chill out again post op second surgery, as I have been so busy with our son on half term holiday and our daughter visiting, and trying to do more prior to surgery, to see where my boundaries are and get a few things done for Christmas!

So if your hubby sees the surgeon next week, how fast will his surgery date come up? Do you still have the gal helping at your place?

I hear you on the staying current trainers and actively. My trainer is competing in the eventing world. He is a western rider originally....his family has a working ranch in Texas, but he also went to school and did a two year equine management course, and competed in college. He has since gone in to eventing! However, his wife is a hunter jumper rider. I audited a four day clinic back in April, and they were both there, so had an opportunity to watch them ride at that.

I'm finding I go all morning and early afternoon but then run out of gas. I ice in the late afternoon and again before bed. Tomorrow our daughter is going to look at housing, three hours away, and will come back tomorrow night, so I'm going to try and go slow tomorrow and Thursday.

Chat soon :-)
 
Hi @Barbaraj Hope you have been having a good week so far.

Busy here with son on half term and daughter visiting briefly. Good to have them at home as they are helping me and hubs with heavy work that has to be done. Feeling a little pushed so hope to slow down today and tomorrow and ice a bit more, before going to see my four-legged boy one more time on Friday. My brief stint with freedom prior to second surgery has me doing "just one more thing" to get things done before I'm back on ice full time again!!

Hubby's ultra-sound results are in and a hernia it is, but not an emergency so he has been referred to the surgeon and we wait! Our daughter has three weeks off in January, so I'm hoping she can come and help at that time.

Impressed that you were on the floor with the Grans! I used to get up via downward dog and yoga roll-up pre-op but not allowed to do that for now, so we'll see when my "floor time" arrives....not for awhile I don't think! Although in saying that, I can get up and down off the floor via the couch!! I can't wait to tie my hiking boot laces again!! That won't be for awhile....my OS showed my a suggested way, but my ROM was so bad for two years that I'll have to do some work with the RMT and PT for stretching all that soft tissue out again....UGH! I will be interested to see how much more my muscles relax and stop guarding on the left side once that surgery is done.

Looks like a little :SUNsmile: here and there for the next ten days. Hope you are getting the same! Have a great day :flwrysmile:
 
Good news on your husband's hernia, @Alitm, that it can be postponed to a time that makes more sense for you both and your busy lives. And having family there to help, as you'll still be recovering from Round Two, would also be great. Sounds like you're still rushing around like a mad woman, trying to get things done--hope you're also building in plenty of rest and relaxation when you can, as you want to be well rested and strong for your upcoming surgery. I loved yesterday's sunshine and looks like another sunny afternoon today--lots of blue streaks out there with the promise that the clouds will clear shortly after noon today. Enjoy your day!
 
Visited with RMT (registered massage therapist) on Monday. She gently worked on releasing my inner thigh muscles on my op leg, that are so much better post op but have been super tight for two years (ROM has improved greatly) and suggested that I put pillows on the outside of that leg as I let it fall out, to support it into relaxation as I gently stretch that muscle. She also reminded me of some upper body somatic yoga stretches to release my back, which I was glad of, while I can still get on my sides (not for long periods of time but glad to be able to get a little time on my sides). My OS seems to have strategically placed my scar on my op leg so I can lay on my side without being right on top of the scar. The muscles in my left leg are a mess and so sore to RMT's gentle touch. She did very little, but even so, I was so sore for 24 hours afterwards. Normally that clears and I have more ROM, but the joint is so bad now, those poor muscles are just screaming to go to the OR!! The plus is that I could open my right leg more so and got in the car normally after the visit, vs. two legs at a time. Very exciting...the small things!

Now that I am doing many more of my activities of daily living, I am still guarded about turning horses out on the pasture, as with one silly move, I could get seriously bumped, and both horse and mini horse are feeling very frisky in the cooler weather. Normally I don't give it a second thought, but I'm not messing around with the gift of new hips! I brought the horses in the other day, and decided that activity could wait a few more weeks until I'm stronger in the hips, but of course I'll be back at week 1 post op, hip two, by then. My husband is still able to do the turn out and take in, so I'm leaving it with him, as frustrating as that is to me!

I constantly struggle with finding the balance of daily activities, as I want to get so much done before second surgery etc etc. Learning to let go of that, and trying to pace my days better. For a couple of days, as I was feeling so good, I had been going all day (just because I can doesn't mean I should!), and then icing my way through the evening. BIG mistake! Now I am reining back on constant activity, pacing myself, and icing more, and having more rest periods during the day..that is the plan and I'm trying! I find as I do more, more is expected of me, and really need to be careful of that. I feel like tacking the THR recovery on the fridge!

Husband's ultra-sound results are back. Although it isn't an emergency, he needs surgery to sort out the hernia. The surgical referral has been made. I am praying it won't be until January, when I'll be almost seven weeks post op second hip. We both feel that it would be better to have me driving again before he has surgery. We don't think it will be much help to have his older sister here, as she too is waiting for hip surgery, and has to pace herself. Hopefully will husband waits, he won't join the ODIC from overdoing it. I found a gal who can help with the horses, and can come and run the vacuum around the house once a week and mop floors if needed.

Wishing everyone a comfortable hippy day :SUNsmile:
 
Eight weeks post op RTHR today. Feeling pleased with progress with the posterior procedure. I've been back driving for two weeks, and had a longer solo trip to see young horse today. An hour there and an hour back, and about an hour watching my trainer friend ride. That was after I fed the ponies and mucked out the stalls. My hips held up quite well. I assumed the position in the recliner with :ice: as soon as I got home.

Activities of daily living back to almost normal in terms of doing housekeeping duties. I'm not neurotic about it, but the house is clean. My hubby still insists on slowly vacuuming and mopping floors. I have suggested we hire someone for the short term to get us through the surgeries, but he won't have any of that, yet!

I am still taking Tylenol. I have tried a bunch of different dosing schedules. I find that 1,000 mgs in the AM when I get up, and again at bedtime seem to work. If I really pushing it during the day, I'll take 500 mgs. Mostly it is for the OA hip. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably only have a bedtime dose to help with sleep, and it wouldn't be as much mg wise.

Sleeping is weird. Some nights I am in bed early and sleep well, and other nights not at all. Am trying to meditate more often, take chamomile tea and magnesium before bed..they all help.

I try and do my few upper body and core exercises every other day, or three days a week, and realized I'm doing a lot of the little strength building exercises the PT gave me to play around with at the six week mark when I do my barn chores, so don't bother doing the exercises in the house. I figure the wheel barrow walking is good enough! I am honestly amazed at how it is all coming back. More than anything it is still the fatigue that gets me, if I ad on just one more thing to my day :zzz:. Moderation....sigh!

Second surgery is a week today....so trying to get Christmas sort of organized prior to surgery, and the rest will have to wait.

Hubby's appointment with hernia surgeon is on the 29th of this month. GP says it isn't an emergency situation. DH says the hernia doesn't bother him until he tries to lift. It is more about him not being able to do his usual projects that bothers him. He will have to do even less and really rest and behave post op, for about eight weeks, which will put a lot on my plate, and I am not sure when I'll be up for caring for everyone, including myself! WHEN is the operative word! Oh for a crystal ball! :what:
Wishing all recovering hippies a comfortable night :flwrysmile:
 
:ok:Good for you for riding with the yin and yang of recovery.
It is hard to know when to stop...I always felt good whilst I was doing!
Trial and error seems to be the most common method.:unsure:
6 more days and you will be a double hippy...I do imagine you will be happy to be shed of that hip but not overly excited about starting the recovery game over.

You've done beautifully...and will again!
Hope your Saturday is sweet!:angel:
 
For what it's worth, @Alitm, unless you have a whole trove of Santa elves visiting for the holidays and ready to take over all things holiday related, I think you should be planning for a very relaxed sort of holiday where--surprise, surprise--neither you nor your husband have to do a darn thing! I am not even contemplating a second surgery for awhile, but I certainly wish I could just give up on holiday preparations sometimes! A day spent in my PJs, with nothing to do but graze from my refrigerator, read in front of the fire and maybe play a few Christmas carols would suit me just fine. Instead, it's an exhausting whirlwind of activities and entertaining. Every year I say I'm going to ease up a bit, and every year my good intentions are toast. I know you are focusing on getting as much done as possible, but do a self-check every day to insure you're not overdoing it or pushing yourself too hard. You want to go into this second surgery feeling as well as you can. Yes, you have stuff you need to get done, but continue to prioritize that lengthy list and build in plenty of time for resting! Have a good Saturday--very foggy start to the day, but now hints of sunshine coming through the clouds. It's going to be a nice day, I hope.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom