THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Good morning, @Alitm. Since you're in the same weather zone as I am, assuming you've got a bit of rain today and presumably your activities will be a bit more indoor. Still, between you and @Lmflora, it appears that there is a lot to do involving your horses (inside barns often) so I am guessing a busy day for both of you. I may tidy up my kitchen and run a vacuum around the family room but that's it. I feel so lazy compared to both of you with your busy, actively physical lives! Anyway, have a great day.
 
:wave: Hey there,

Six week post op check up today. The six week mark was Friday...and I'm counting every day until second surgery :heehee:

Cleared for :driver:! Yay! He said I could have driven earlier, as long as I was off narcotics and could stop quickly I can drive. I feel better to have seen him about it. He said I should be able to drive earlier after LTHR, as it is my left hip. I'm letting hubby do the long drive (doesn't seem to bother him) on Wednesday to see :fasthorse:.

I asked if OS thought left hip replacement would be the same or worse than right. OS said it might be better in that I would know what to expect from the surgery this time around. He showed me the x-ray from Monday when I had the pre-admission pre-op. Poor lefty looks dreadful (his words), but I don't have the lack of blood supply issue thank the Lord. It won't fail before surgery! It just grinds and catches when I least expect it :sigh:

OS was pleased that I'm walking around the house and out to/in the barn without any aids now. I said that I like to use the walking poles on my structured walks as it seemed to help with my stride length and reminds me to heel toe as much as possible. He was good with that.

I'm to keep with the 90 degree caution until second surgery. I am allowed to lift to comfort, as long as I don't break the ninety degree rule while I lift. No crouching down when lifting either as that would violate the 90 degrees. He said I don't have to continue with the toilet seat. I can sleep without the pillow between my legs too. However, I'm keeping the toilet seat, as we don't have anywhere else to put it, and I'll need it in two and a half weeks anyway. I can't imagine sleeping without the pillow between my legs to be honest....I can't do very long on my side without some sort of pillow supporting between knees and ankles, and even with that, I don't stay there long. I was sleeping with a pillow between my legs pre-op...so perhaps need to have both hips done and dusted before the pillow goes!

I asked about tying my shoes/boots. He showed me how to do it, by keeping my knee out to the side (this is for posterior patients), but I'm so inflexible in my left hip from the OA, and tight in my back from not doing as much stretching as usual, that I can't reach the boots yet! So close but yet so far :heehee:

Dental....wait until after three month post op for cleaning, but no antibiotics needed.

I asked about the flu shot, and he said get it, not because of the hips, but because he felt that it was a good idea :chinstroke:. I used to get the flu shot when I was tutoring in schools, but stopped when I stopped tutoring/teaching. I rarely got sick when tutoring, but when I did, and when I'd had the flu shot, it wasn't as bad as everyone else's bug in duration and intensity.

I am cleared to swim, go to the gym, do yoga etc, but won't bother with that, as I'm busy enough at home with the family and horse/dogs etc. I didn't even discuss riding, due to second surgery, but can clarify that at just over six weeks I have no desire to get on horse!

I can see the physio for gentle stretching and some specific strengthening if needed at this juncture, no lists of the typical exercises doled out by some. More than anything I feel like I need the gentle stretching, and the overall fitness is coming from the walking and daily life activities. I have booked in a session with RMT next week, and believe that will be really helpful.

Hope all hippies are having/had had a comfortable day/evening :flwrysmile:.
 
Great update! Thanks for sharing.
Your second surgery will be here before you know it.
Had to laugh when you said you have no desire to get on a horse. Scary prospect!
I'll bet your second recovery goes well since you've had the practice and won't even have time to forget the details. I hope you have a wonderful week!
@Alitm
 
@Alitm
Sounds like you got a big gold star today!!! I bet your excited to see your horse on Wednesday. I really hope your left THR is a breeze for you. 6 weeks is a little scary about getting on horse, but just knowing that someday soon is enough to keep you going. My farrier canceled on me today, which is ok cuz we had PT, and it was nice to simplify things. He is coming tomorrow, but that means I’ll miss watching my girl ride tomorrow. I’ll still go see her. Have a great evening and congratulations again on the great doc visit.
 
@Layla More than anything I want to ride again, don't get me wrong...but when my body is healed and fit again to do so, and that is going to take so much time:umm:. The thought of attempting to get on at six weeks would be painful torture!:yikes: My muscles are so tight from the two years of not riding regularly. Many riders, when they are ready, borrow what is known as a saddle form, which is what saddles are displayed on in tack shops. One can slide on that and get a stretch every day. Once stretched on that, one puts one's saddle on the form and then sits on that to stretch a bit further....and then get back on a horse! Patience and more patience:bored: Some days it seems like a mountain assent away,:dubious: but I'll get there eventually!:yes!:
 
@Lmflora Sometimes the universe works in our favour, in the farrier cancellation on the same day as PT. Sorry you are missing getting to see your girl go today. That is disappointing. When can you go again?

I find that a matter of days makes a difference now to my healing. Trying to find the balance without rushing it is still tricky for me :heehee:

I see my physio today. Hoping he can give me some gentle stretching for my back and right side...maybe a little massage for right side too. Left side was really complaining last night. I forgot to take my usual complement of Tylenol yesterday, which was a good and bad thing. On the whole I'm taking almost a third less now, but the left hip pain is replacing the post op soft tissue trauma which is healing now. Jeesh, I'll be glad to get lefty done. Hopefully it will be straight forward in terms of pain. Here's hoping!

Wishing you a great day! :)
 
@Barbaraj Hope this AM finds you comfy and cheery, despite all the yucky weather coming off the Pacific. Got a quick icing in this AM before heading over to the barn to do the lightweight stuff like feed grain, while my amazing neighbour mucks! I have managed the PM shift on my own, but need to be good about pacing myself these next two weeks with icing and feet up. As I think maybe you or someone else mentioned....the minute one can do more, more is expected. I feel the extra care and concern about my husbands condition as well. Trying not to ODI because of that, but he will ODI if I don't do it! LOL! Two peas in not a very good pod!

Seeing physio this am. I am hoping for some gentle muscle release!
 
Good update at your six week check-in, @Alitm. But glad to hear that you are going to continue to pace yourself until it's time for your second surgery. Seems like the surgeon has no reservations about that, and within a few weeks you'll be starting over again except that you should have a clearer (calmer) outlook now that you know what to expect. I know when I get my lift hip done I will be much less stressed out beforehand. Will I be looking forward to it? Well, ehhh...yes and no, the ambivalence that I'm sure we all share when faced with #2 surgery. I hope this morning's physio appointment goes well, and you maybe get a little massage to bring some comfort to your body.

Amused to hear that you feel now that sleeping with a pillow between your legs is the only way to go--I tried that and certainly initially after surgery it felt good and allowed me to sleep on my unoperated side. But, increasingly, it's hard as it feels unwieldy and bulky and if I start out with it, it invariably gets shoved off the bed at some point during the night--it's hot, too. But if it's working for you, great. I have a mouth guard at night, and initially I hated it. But after many years (I'm a serious grinder apparently) I find that if I forget it, I have to drag myself out of bed and grab it. It is part of the "sleep ritual" and trying to sleep without it feels wrong, slightly off-kilter.

That's great that you've been cleared to resume so many activities but I agree that with your second surgery just around the corner, you are smart to focus on what's really important and needs to get done and leave all that to your full recovery from your second surgery. Sounds like your usual early morning chores (and here I sit at my computer, still in PJs and waiting for the caffeine to kick in!) had you up and moving much earlier than me! Have a great day!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj Back from physio, stopping off to get some horsie supplements for my four-legged boy who I'll see tomorrow, coffee and stopping for a chicken chipotle wrap without the cheese (they source fresh local lettuce and tomatoes here) at Tim's (my "junk food fix" as I've been pretty darned good except for the Crème brûlée at the weekend's b'day party) and then home to elevate and ice for awhile! Will post about physio later....today is definitely love my phsyio day for sure!

I actually slept on my op side a little last night...surprised the heck out of me...wasn't for long, but was tolerable. I must have just gone over to that side in my sleep!! I can't remember where my pillow ended up (feeling better that I don't HAVE to have it between my legs on OS orders...phew!)! Every night is an adventure it seems. Might as well be, as I'll be back in the recliner for weeks on end again soon enough :rotfl:. Gotta laugh right!
 
Have an great day tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing about how your boy is doing. I’m going to go see my girl in the morning, not sure if I will get to see her work. I’ll check in tomorrow! Cheers
 
@Lmflora Enjoy your visit with your girl tomorrow morning. Will check in later tomorrow. My boy got his first pair of front shoes on today (still bf behind)...my farrier messaged to say he'd been and it went well, the boy handled the smoke etc. fairly well!

Had great visit with physio today....and I drove myself there! Yay! Have to post about it tomorrow...never got to it today!
 
Happy Wednesday, @Alitm
Just realized, you're getting close to your next date.
Only 2 1/2 weeks to go!
It will be so nice to have both surgeries behind you and feeling good as you begin the New Year.
I'm excited for you :happydance:
Hope today is a good one! :)
 
Hope you enjoyed your visit with your boy. Does he have a problem with the farrier? My Dozy was terrified by the farrier when I first got him. It took months of training to get him to stand. The Donkey Sanctuary provides me access to the UK's leading equine behaviour specialists who coached me through Dozy's crisis.

Your lunch sounds fantastic! Glad you could have a treat.

Do fill us in on how your physio went.
 
Whoa, @Alitm, sleeping on your operated side? I'm not up for that yet, when I've rolled over onto my right side I can only tolerate it for a few minutes before it begins to ache. But I'm normally a left side, edge of the bed sleeper so no real interest in pushing myself to sleep on the operated side. I assume when I have surgery #2 I might finally have to try sleeping on my right side which will feel strange. I already told my husband if (heavy sigh...when) that happens we'll be changing sides of the bed. Hope today's physio went well, and you are now tucked up on your recliner and resting. With your second surgery coming up so soon, take time to rest up, physically AND mentally, to prepare for that. Have a good rest of the day.
 
Hey @Alitm, how is your boy doing, I bet you had a great day. We can chat up horses tomorrow, I’m sure your pretty tired this afternoon.

Sleeping on the op side is wonderful for you, hope you can lengthen the time out so that you can have a different position to switch up to after the next THR. I sleep with one of those comfort U shaped pillows. I used a European size pillow (like in the shams) between my knees and was sleeping on my non op side as soon as I got home from the hospital, because my back was killing me laying on my back. I have been sleeping on the op side for about 2 weeks now, at first for a couple of hours, but I can get half the night now. I have been sleeping with th U pillow for years, due to back issues. Maybe because your a posterior your OS said no knee pillow, mine told me to use one so that my hip was not angled in with knees together, he would rather I kept space between. It’s the way I always sleep anyway.

Have a great evening
Cheers
 
Hi @Alitm Just checking in because I remembered today's the big day when you take the drive to see your horsey!! Was hoping to see a report and some photos but you may be on the road headed back still. Hope you stopped at the park to stretch and have a bite like you were planning. I'm sure it was an indescribable thrill to visit him! I'm working around all clocks for past weeks and just popping in as I can but will check back later for some horse tales...tails... :)
You are about ready to start your big countdown to #2 as well! Although my #2 started out rough waters it's pretty smooth sailing now, even after some very brief visits to the ODIC lobby bar. ..:yikes: I only stayed for one drink ...and got out. But I have been to the ODIC now. No major damage. All is good, 1 day on ice & rest took care of it.

Take care and can't wait to see some more pix of him!!
. :horseriding:
 
@Lmflora We had a good visit, and I am tired now! I'm dong everything but the morning muck in the barn now...so it all adds up. We stopped to do a short grocery shop on the way home.

Op hip is good, and we didn't have to stop for me to get out and walk on the way down. I am limping more on #2 hip now though...no matter how hard I try not to!

My boy was rushing and scooting a bit today, as they were working in the outside ring and the deer kept coming out of the bush by the side of the ring. It was foggy and cold too. They have been working on rhythm and relaxation, so today wasn't his best in that department, but he is much more rhythmic in his paces, steadier in the bridle and is getting the canter transition and correct lead etc. The deer are quite annoying to be honest...popping in and out of the bush right by the ring all the time. The horses get used to them, but it can really ruin a good ride! My trainer friend is amazing in that his energy never changes, he never gets frustrated with the horse, and he just slows him down and gets back to work. I took a lot of video but no still shots. The video is too much to post here. I have a nice picture from July in the pasture that I'll post. I just wanted to pack him up in my car and take him home though as I miss him so much, but he looks really well and is learning lots...so I have to be sensible! I'm going to give it another week and will probably go down one more time before surgery....as otherwise I won't see him until the end of December.
 
Last edited:
Surgery inspiration ......
[Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
 
@Barbaraj I'm not on the op side the whole night, but it is nice to have options now, even if they will be short lived! Oh and @Barbaraj, I did swap sides with hubby!

@Lmflora I don't know if I'll be ready to sleep on the op side post op second hip, but who knows! I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs for the first six weeks, OS orders, but he said I could stop now. I slept with the pillow prior to surgery as it stopped my hips from hurting as much when I side slept then. I find the pillow stabilizes things still, and with the second hip being such a brat these days, everything that helps gets used!
 
Last edited:
@1stSurgery The trip down to the trainers wasn't too uncomfortable. We stopped for groceries on the way back which helped. I'm tired tonight, so chilling on ice, and op hip hanging in. Lefty is kicking up and I limp a lot on that one now.
Sorry to hear you had a little visit to the ODIC, but thank goodness for :ice:! Glad you slipped out the back on that one, and are none the worse!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom