Guest viewing is limited

THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Good Morning @Barbaraj I have to say the horse rehab work taught me so much!! It is like snakes and ladders if one doesn't do it right, one ends up way back in the game...don't want to do that after coming so far. We see that so often here right?! I don't know how much folks are icing at 8 - 9 weeks, but I still do quite a bit. If my feet are up in the recliner, why not!

I am taking half the amount of Tylenol I was taking prior to Sept surgery for the OA....so once this OA left hip is a thing of the past, it will be surgical pain to deal with only. I'm sure there will be a lot of resettling going on as my poor muscles in my left side that have been so askew for even longer than the right side have to shake out. I wonder how my body is going to feel with two new hips. I am hoping for that back improvement as "forecasted" by PT and OS. I feel a lot more upright and tall on my right side....so curious to know how it will feel once my left side is done. Will I feel like a giant? :heehee: Just kidding!!

I had an amazing nights sleep last night. I'm sleeping on my left side (still a little tight in odd places) with pillow between my knee for much longer periods. Although OS said I could give up the pillow between the knees at six weeks, I am comfy with the pillow, so it remains as part of the sleeping paraphernalia! Also enjoying being able to sleep some on my op side too. If I get the angle just so, it is pretty good for longer periods now. I have to say I'm impressed with where my OS placed the incision! Only a few more nights of that luxury and then I'll be back in my trusty recliner!

I know there will be some adjustments getting used to managing two healing hips, and the early weeks probably won't be a walk in the park. I pulled out my walker and readjusted it. It was too low. Feels better one click taller. Did I tell you I measured a little bit taller at my GP pre-op? I think it is just that I am able to stand up straighter again.

Luckily there won't be things like bulb planting and taking out planting from flower pots etc to tempt me post op. The biggest hurdle will be getting hubby to hold off on surgery. He is comfortable enough he says, as long as he doesn't do any heavy lifting. He was working on fencing (got our son to put in a few more posts) and doing burn piles last week with our daughter (she was driving the tractor!)...we can only burn agricultural debris (fallen tree branches etc) twice a year and we just had the Fall window. DH is grocery shopping and is moving around well, still cooking meals etc. He just can't lift heavy things. He seems to think the post op of hernia surgery isn't going to be a big deal, so I am praying the surgeon he sees on the 29th of this month will read DH the riot act about post op care and rehab time. I've told DH that I need at least eight weeks prior to him having his surgery, as long as he isn't in pain. If he is in pain, we'll have to get someone to come and help us, and he doesn't want that...so hopefully he will behave! I am hoping the new horse help gal will work out well, and there is always my neighbour who can help as well with the horses. If DH has his surgery at 8 weeks post op for me, and I have someone doing the horses, I should be able to manage. I might get groceries delivered for a couple of weeks, or have the store put them together and my friends can pick them up. Another friend uses a great cleaning company, so I could get them in a few of times to help with the house. It isn't big, but we have dogs...and dog hair! Anyhow, lots of options. Now that my head is clearer, I have some ideas. Now I can stop worrying about all that for a few weeks! The one thing I am dreading is the wretched drugs and the brain fog :flabber:.

How are you enjoying the driving? How is the elliptical going? Still holding back on the resistance and incline I hope!! So tempting to do more though. From a training perspective I'd go for longer time without resistance and incline, as you build up. Thats my plan, when I finally get there!! I'm living vicariously through you on the elliptical :)

Wishing you a wonderful day. Enjoy those record breaking temps down where you are :SUNsmile:.
 
Getting excited about hearing from you @Alitm I hope all went beautifully and you're very comfortable!
Just to say I get all my shopping delivered - all the major supermarkets here do Internet shopping. Stemmed from when we lived out in the wilds, husband was away a lot and I don't drive. So timesaving and the drivers bring groceries straight in and put them on the table. And we ate lots of ready made meals.
I also have a cleaner once a fortnight- she's a bit slow but it means bathrooms and kitchen are clean which was all I was worried about. So do spoil yourself! Especially with your OH not being fit. I decided that those early weeks justified a little expense even if I still tend to go round and clean before the cleaner arrives...
 
Happy Monday :SUNsmile: @Alitm
Could we request the change of title today?
If it's not reported while we're on this page of your thread, it will most likely be overlooked.
I can put it in a Report today, or else you could remind us on Thursday, I'll leave it up to you.
I hope you have a peaceful day and I'm wishing you comfort as you await Friday.
 
Happy Hump Day, @Alitm, and just two more days to go before surgery. If your neck of the woods is anything like mine, it's a soggy mess out there! I know that weather doesn't enter into your daily workload, but is just another factor consider as you trudge around on all your morning chores. Does the cooler, wetter weather make you more stiff in the morning? I sometimes wonder whether it has the effect on me. Moving slowly this morning, but instead of mucking out stalls or feeding, I'm off to a warm, well lit gym to trudge away on an elliptical for a bit! Have a good day, hope you got some great sleep last night and are slowly but steadily preparing yourself for the big day ahead. Cheers!
 
Hi @bickypeg, Surgery is on Friday. I'll hear tomorrow as to what time it will be. I'm hoping for early morning :fingersx:

I'll have to remember to get off-line with Bonesmart at home on my lap top, before I leave for the hospital. Last time I forgot and couldn't get on line at the hospital, until DH logged me out at home!! :heehee:

Hope you and the family are well. Good to know that the grocery store would come out to you in the "wilds"!! We'll see what happens with hubby's appointment on the 29th and go from there.

:flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning @Barbaraj, wishing you a good trudge on the elliptical! :) Managed to get my ten minute meditation in, a couple of core exercises in. Soggy and rainy first thing but clearing for the day. The temps are supposed to go up this afternoon. Yay! It looks like they will drop on Friday and stay cooler from then on. I will have to put a liner under my big horse's rainsheet. He is a little prince and doesn't grow much a of winter coat. The mini is a hairy little beast and only needs to be kept dry with a rain sheet. He has enough hair for the two of them! Looking at my list of things to do and cancelling a lot of them! LOL!! They'll just have to wait.

Yes, I am definitely more stiff in the morning, but my RTHR is not bad at all. The left hip is a disaster and I just reach for the Tylenol...but I'm taking half the amount I was taking before September surgery. I do loosen up though as I move around. I find if I turn on the heating pad and put on my bad hip and lower back before I get out of bed, that really helps. Couldn't live without the heating pad!! LOL!!

Hopefully you get some clearing from the soggies! Every ray of Vit D counts at this time of year :SUNsmile: I find November is the most dreary. Luckily I'll be semi out of it for the last two weeks of the month! December is wrapped up with Christmas, by the end of January the days start to get longer here and the snow drops come up, by February the Rhododendrons start blooming in Victoria and the crocuses are coming up by months end! Spring is on its way in March with the daffodils coming up....all good. Are the seasons similar where you are? We are in a weird and wonderful micro-climate where we are on the Island.
Have a great day :flwrysmile:
 
Dear @Alitm - You're ALMOST there! Are you checking items off of that infamous "to-do" list? How are you feeling, nervous, relieved? All of the above?

I do hope your surgery takes place first thing Friday morning - I think it's always nice to be the first one in the morning so that the waiting is minimal (if any).

Will be thinking about you from here as I watch the Hallmark Movies with my ice pack!

Kim
 
Hiya @NanaKP

Yes have my list!! All of the above! Fingers crossed for first thing!

How are you feeling? How does this surgery compare to last surgery? How is it going on the walker? How long will you stay on that? How is number one femur doing....when are you back in for that? Too many questions I know! :heehee:

So funny about the Hallmark movies...I'm an HGTV girl myself!! I'm still icing my right hip in between things. Insurance against overdoing it!
Wishing you speedy healing :flwrysmile:

Alison.
 
Alison - You sound all ready to go!!! Still icing the right hip, that's a good girl - just because #2 is happening, you can't forget #1 is still healing

Hmmmm, second hip surgery? I knew what to expect the day of and also using the walker. It has been MUCH easier to get in/out of bed this hip than the first one. It doesn't feel like I'm walking near as much this time around but that's also because I decided to be "Still" this time around and let things heal. I go see my OS next Monday (18th) for postop. My leg length is pretty darned perfect, I no longer have a limp on my left side (my husband has been amazed by that). The one thing I will add, and maybe this is just more applicable to me, is that I am finding that "lolling about" and letting the healing happen is much easier to do this time around. I stretch in bed and throughout the day but I am NOT counting laps in the garage and I accept the need to nap as it comes. Perhaps it is from the setbacks I had (finally learned the hard way) but it does feel different this time around.

Wishing you the very best - I will be checking back in on you!
Kim
 
Hi @Alitm .... :friends: I just wanted to send you my well wishes for your surgery on Friday. I can't believe it's been 8 weeks since hip #1. :wow:
I'll check back on Friday and once again look forward to watching and reading about your next recovery..:)
 
:wave:@Lea61, I haven't been over to your thread to see how you are doing. I hope better!! :friends:
Thank you for your well wishes. Hoping for early surgery time on Friday :)
 
It's coming up soon @Alitm , and soon you will be on the Other Side again--joining the ranks of the other doubles -- done and dusted! Here's to smooth sailing , or rather, riding (I almost put a big animated horsey emoticon here, but couldn't go through with it) Keep us posted.
 
Thanks so much @NanaKP for sharing your experience this time around. Always helpful! :)

Thanks @An54 I'll take sailing...my Dad was a big sailor...I grew up on boats (although I'd always wish I was at the barn!! LOL) :) . How is your "stiffness"...continuing to resolve, with the dance floor in sight!
 
We will be standing up and charging for your encore performance:yay::yay::yay:
I know the nerves are probably creeping in...but this is what is going to get you back in the barn and back to life.
All the best mojo coming your way dear @Alitm
:friends:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom