THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Good looking horse, he doesn’t seem huge from the picture because he is so well proportioned. He’s a beauty, what was his best event?

My OS said same, our hours of riding horses were not the cause of our crappy hips.

I have to reduce thie size of my picks so I can upload.
Here is a link to this years big derby winner, way out of my league, but definitely “choke up” worthy

@Alitm
 
Last edited:
@Alitm ... Your horse is beautiful ! The discussion about horses reminds me of when I was around 12 yrs old, we used to visit my uncle who had a home in upstate NY. We always looked forward to our trips there and hanging out with our cousins, who were close in age to us. They had about 20 acres of land and some horses. I remember riding one of the horses who clearly did not like me !! (and I guess sensed that I did not know what I was doing) ! The horse ignored every direction I tried to give. Instead, he walked very close along a sloped area that had a steep drop beyond it (or at least that's how I remembered it,...very steep ). Then, he walked under low hanging tree branches (in an attempt to knock me off) ?? and I guess when that all failed to get me off, he just decided to walk back to the barn and started eating !! It was very funny but I just can't remember any other details, like ...... where was my dad, uncle, brother, etc while all this was going on and what were they doing ? ( clearly not helping me, perhaps too busy laughing)!
I guess that is what makes up some of our childhood memories ( oh ... and the poison ivy that my brother would get every summer) ! :heehee:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
    0D223C46-5998-420B-BA21-4842550BDE45.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 144
@Lmflora He was going entered to go third level dressage when his right hind suspensory (which is kind of a death knell for dressage horses as as one goes up the levels, more engagement from behind, and elevation in front is required) started to kick up. I was hoping to take him to Grand Prix. He is slightly pigeon toed in front (no interference or anything), but my great farrier kept my boy going in soundness. We had big plans for the show season, and some amazing clinic opportunities that summer 2015. We still really don't know how my boy got the medium lesion high in the suspensory. Four months into the rehab he developed a diagonal pair lameness and after investigations it showed synovitis. The vet took a really conservative approach to treating it, with Adequan and more rest, when he should have just injected the LF joint so we could continue the suspensory rehab...H got my boy sound on that after a month...but there is always a lot more healing on those soft tissues to go before they are ready to go back to competition. It dragged out and the poor horse was pasture rested in a small temporary corral, so he could still be on grass and out with his buddies. He got loose when I was picking up our son at school, and galloped around like a crazy thing and tore the branches of the suspensory. I came home to my husband holding a very sweaty and sore horse...I just knew that was it....broke my heart. I tried so hard to save the horse. I told the vet I couldn't do the rehab anymore, as it was making the poor horse nuts, so we started turning him out normally, with a bit of a relaxer to begin with, to keep him calm. He is pasture sound, but I'll never be able to ride him again. To be honest, it is much easier to rehab my hip than it is to rehab soft tissue issues in horses!! I noticed that there was something wrong with me though, when I wasn't seriously riding and training, but doing this guy's rehab, as when I was support wrapping this guys legs, I was having difficulty squatting down to do the wraps, and then started having difficulty getting back up. It went down hill from there. If you had told me when the vet was first treating the suspensory in 2015, that I'd be having both hips replaced three years later, I would have :rotfl: never believed it!

Picture sizing....It took me a while to figure out how to do that....I do my computer stuff by the seat of my pants sometimes, as I don't work with graphics. I just dragged the pic onto my desk top, click on the picture, go to tools in the top menu bar and then to adjust size. I find mac so logical (or at least how my logic works!) and play around with it until I figure it out. Hate when I update my operating system and things have changed LOL!!

Have a great day!
 
What a beautiful horse. He looks so strong and majestic on the photo.
You do have a lot in your plate. I'm happy you still have some time to heal.
I hope your weekend is a peaceful relaxing one.
Big hugs!
@Alitm
 
@Lmflora She is gorgeous!!! What is her breeding...all cutting lines? You'll have to send a training shot when you have one! I can just see her crouching down (dropping her forehand...what do you call that) to head off those cows! Will you be able to rope off her? Worth getting the second hip done for sure!! You are going to have an amazing time with her :) So excited for you. I will post some pics of my young guy so you can see him. Going to see him on Wednesday :happydance::egypdance::yay:....just a tad excited! It is amazing what gets us through this surgery :yes!:.
 
@Alitm, I know right?? It would be so hard to do this without that carrot dangling. Her breeding is pretty much cutting, like I said she is a little bigger then the ones you see like in the video. She does not crawl On The ground like that (at least not yet), although she has nearly unseated me a couple of times, mostly because I’m still figuring this cutting thing out. My background was in reining and working cowhorse, which is more chasing a cow around in a pattern instead of keeping a cow away from the herd. I also spent many years horse packing in The mountains when I lived in Colorado, when I moved back to WY, I got into the cow thing, I live on the family Ranch.

How fun to go see your new one, what is his best event? How old is he? My girl is 6.
 
@Lea61 Poor you! Sounds like you were being set up. Not fun when you weren't being helped to learn how to stop, go and turn on the horse, and the horse doesn't understand your cues! As a teacher you will appreciate this....horses have a very poorly formed frontal cortex, so they don't reason well. They kinda live in the moment, are flight animals (so they don't reason about whether the mountain lion might eat them or not, the horse just leaves the scene. If they sat around reasoning it, they would be eaten!) and so it sounds like the horse you rode was driven by getting back to the barn to eat. He wasn't thinking about much else, and the steep ledge and the trees happened to be on the way home. Horses also don't form object permanence, so the wheel barrow they see every day in the barn, if you take it down to the ring, becomes a novel object! I am also a teacher, so understand object permanence, so now I don't get so frustrated with my horses as I realize that wheel barrow, put in a different place, is novel. I just teach them to get used to new things, so they are less reactive. Also, you can teach horses to become more curious vs. afraid. There is an actual change in the brain when that happens. Horse people call that confidence building :)
 
Whoa, @Alitm, that is one big and gorgeous horse! He's retired now, and just wandering around and enjoying the good life? You and @Lmflora mystify me with all this horse talk, but what comes through is your obvious affection for these beautiful animals and how being able to ride them again is providing a big motivation for getting your pesky hips done and recovery over with so you can go back to an activity you both clearly love. Fantastic!
 
@Barbaraj Yes, he is known as a "pasture pet". Spends his days grazing. Hay and feed arrive on schedule, stall and evening paddock get mucked twice a day...rough life! My neighbour says she wants to come back as my horse! LOL! It wouldn't be an option if we didn't live truly out in the country, in an agricultural area. He is living as horses should live though, and it is lovely to look out the window and see them grazing!

The horse thing....it's in the blood (I'm sure @Lmflora would agree)...starts early, survives the teen year (and kept me out of major trouble I might add!)....and continues through arthritic hips to our death beds really :yes:.
 
@Alitm , @Barbaraj
Yep it’s in our DNA from birth. My whole life has been circling my greatest love (addiction?) horses. Having an old horse around is such a joy, they can live such a long time. About a year ago I had to put my “heart” down, QH gelding, 37 years old, I have had him since he was 2. I cannot express what an honor it was to have that horse for so long. Oh how I loved that horse. Turns out my girl and he share bloodlines, I was delighted to trace back her pedigree and find that connection, she is also the same color as he was. Here is a picture of him at 25. The second picture is of him a few days before we put him down. He was having trouble getting up, healthy otherwise, but getting weak in the hind end. Found him down and he was so scared. So we made the big decision. Nearly killed me to,do,it.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
    F1E651DD-1B4E-420D-9E99-0E6ECD0A6E33.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 145
  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
    577297B2-181D-4300-9A8A-40E6A68267EF.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 149
@Lmflora Some how I missed your video post earlier...Oh that looks like a BLAST! I can imagine how much training goes into that! The rider looks like he is along for the ride, that is how it should look, effortless on the rider's part...but I get the training behind that!! There is a guy who has many cutting championships under his belt (on his belt!) that has had both hips replaced. I can't remember his name. So I have to ask, when you are riding, are you on a three point seat, or more on your pelvic bones? For me it is very much a three point seat, two pelvic and crotch, weight evenly distributed. It requires really good balance. Thankfully we have thigh blocks now on our saddles, at the horses have such big stride in their extended work, that it is almost hard to not get bounced around. However, the nicer the horse, the smoother the gait, no matter what you are doing, and it is easy to sit. How do your hips take the sideways backing and forthing? My riding has lateral work, but not in the same way as yours. For us it is more about the acceleration and deceleration from gait to gait and within the gait, and that in turn helps them get their quarters underneath them, and LIFT their forehands.



My coach and I watched this gal at the World Cup in Las Vegas in April 2015...we had tears streaming down our faces, it was so beautiful. This is what we call Grand Prix "freestyle". This gal has an elite gym trainer and works out in the gym daily...wears all sorts monitors etc. She is like a walking muscle...you can see her tone. It is crazy what these top folks do. The neat thing about this gal and her fellow British team member and coach, is they find these nice horses and pay under $12K, and turn them into Olympic athletes!
 
@Lmflora I keep crossing with you in cyber space.! Your old guy looked lovely. I can see that things had changed so much health wise for him at the almost end. SO hard :console2: My chestnut I purchased as a three year old...as my forever horse....

So interesting that your new girl has similar breeding lines as your old boy.....cuz you won't believe it....my new guy, has almost the same dam lines, a generation removed, as my old guy! Wasn't looking for that, but knew the line. The young guy's stallion stands in BC and he is very nice nice, with a 9 for rideability. AI makes all this happen. So neat!

Technology....can see the amazing advancements in hip surgery too....some folks still seem amazed that I'll be able to ride again. Love my surgeon who is totally wanting that to happen for me :yes!: and supports it all the way!
 
@Alitm, wow that choked me up. I can’t imagine the years of training going into,that. The precision is incredible. How old was tha mare?

One of the incredible things about cutting horses is that most of it is instinct. These horses are bred to watch cows, and do from the very beginning. Colts will try to work dogs and chickens. The trainers function is to develop it and correct things like stopping too late or too soon. My trainer said the way it works is the cow turns, the horse turns then I turn. Let the horse do her job. The biggest mistake I make right now is trying to ride her on the cow, I just need to let her do her job. And my seat.

I think the only possible issue with my hips will be the shorter stirrups, which are necessary for stability, step down on Stirrups for balance and squeeze with thighs to hold on. Also saddle makes a big difference. I Have heard of the three point seat, my daughter took quite a few English riding lessons, but I don’t think that is what we do, when I showed youth horses it was all about sitting up very tall and straight, everything tight and smooth, no flopping etc. when I started taking cutting lessons I was told to forget everything I was told about seat, and to sit back on my Jean pockets and drop shoulders down to keep center of gravity over my hips, then use stirrups for balance and thighs to squeeze. Keep flexible but keep center of gravity in middle of horse. Turns out makes big difference in how she turns. If I’m not centered, she fades off and is not square either. It’s a challenge. And we can hang on to the horn, or I should say push against the horn for stability. There may be some issues down the road with my hips doing this, but I’m willing to take the chance.

My OS too is supportive and wants me to get back to my life, I love to ski, he told me I can do the sports I use to do with a few exceptions (running, or any of the high impact sports), and told me to make “adult choices” about skiing too fast or bumps. My husband is a big skier too so we are not skiing this year, but are looking forward to next years trip.
 
Gosh, @Alitm and @Lmflora, clearly the horse world is a wonderful although mysterious place--all that discussion about riding technique was totally baffling to me, but sounds like you guys are absolutely on the same page and can share stories and your love for those glorious animals. So great you both have this as an inspiration going forward.
 
Hi @Barbaraj Your outing yesterday sounded very pleasant :martini: wine glass emoji needed!

The sitting thing..... I went out for lunch with a friend in week four and sat on high stools with backs, with my feet up on rungs, and made it for about an hour and a half. Last evening at the dinner b'day party, I sat with a big cushion on my dining room chair, and I still had to keep shifting to keep the 90 degree thing. A bit annoying but temporary! Will be interesting to see how things unfold after LTHR.

Dinner party was good fun and a great catch up!

Hoping leftie is behaving for you :yes:

I find I need every third day to be a quieter one. I'm always icing after "garden and barn activities" :wink:

Hope you've had a pleasant day :) . We've had rain and sun and rain and sun, but mostly rain! :SUNsmile:
 
@Lmflora
when I started taking cutting lessons I was told to forget everything I was told about seat, and to sit back on my Jean pockets and drop shoulders down to keep center of gravity over my hips, then use stirrups for balance and thighs to squeeze. Keep flexible but keep center of gravity in middle of horse. Turns out makes big difference in how she turns. If I’m not centered, she fades off and is not square either. It’s a challenge. And we can hang on to the horn, or I should say push against the horn for stability.
. This is so interesting. You describe it well, and it makes total sense. I think if you are cross training in some way, your hips will be fine. It is about being toned isn't it....

Going see my boy on Wednesday...can't wait! Will get some pics :-)

Doing more in the barn, feels great, but :ice:afterwards. It is amazing the difference a week makes!
 
@Alitm
looking forward to seeing the picts of your boy! I have a farrier coming in the morning to trim the old guy and his BFF.

Cross training is important, I was doing a lot of that when my hip flexor flared up. However, I don’t think I was stretching enough. I admit I am borderline hyper, and the long slow tedious exercises and stretches bore me to tears, so I tend to put them off. but I am genuinely forcing myself to stretch more and work for flexibility as well as strength this time around.

I have some stalls to clean before the next storm comes in. they have a shelter outside for shade, wind, and mild storms. I think I can do the mucking if our helper can pull the cart out and empty it. I love working outside and in the barn. My kitchen counters are pretty messy, but you almost eat off my barn floor when I’m done. Somethings are just a higher priority....

Cheers
 
@Lmflora I understand....it took me awhile to get to the yoga... I played women's soccer in high school, as well as rode; ran 10k's - 1/2 marathons through my twenties and thirties (old sciatic injury from falling off horse started to kick up at 40, so had to stop the running), as well as rode; was introduced to elliptical and pilates in my 40's and found that the best cross training so far for riding as they tones the whole body, started yoga in my fifties and learned to meditate a bit, and it really helped me focus in competition, as well as stretch. I'm going for the elliptical/yoga/pilates rehab (when given the green light) to get fit enough to get on my boy with the suspension strides! :flabber: LOL!

I hear you on the barn floor vs. the kitchen :rotfl: . Was thinking that today....quite common for horsewomen. Don't get me wrong, I like a clean house, but no one comes and messes up the barn except the horses, so it is easier to keep clean...thats my story and I'm stickin' to it! :loll:

I spoke to OS's office about lifting on Friday, as I was six weeks then. They checked with him and he said I can lift, as long as I stick with the precautions. I see him tomorrow for six week appointment....so will chat further with him. My chestnut produces a lot of manure! Big guy, big input, big output! Each week I can handle a bit more weight. It isn't the lifting in the traditional sense, but pressure on the hip that I can feel with the weight and am cautious of. I'm sure you know what I mean. I'll probably just do smaller loads and do and extra trip to the manure pit! The walking part with wheel barrow is fine. Of course with the rain we are having now, everything out in their run-out paddocks is wet. My OS was kind enough to pull up the muscle and ligament anatomy on his phone and show me exactly what soft tissue he had to disturb with the posterior prior to surgery. I have a bit more soft tissue healing that with the anterior, so I believe my new hip isn't quite as stable as yours (anterior) is in the first six weeks, although over all pre-op fitness helps I think. My OS said I'll be in exactly the same place healing wise at six months as an anterior patient...but that is a long way away! However, in saying that, I am really pleased with the progress so far. I have to be patient:bored: A real pain that the other hip is just as bad and has to get done! It is really bothering me now, and I still have to take a lot of Tylenol for it...so need to get on with it.

P.S. That horse in the clip was retired last year. Still being ridden lightly, turned out, trailed and used as a school master. I think he is in his late teens now. He and Charlotte had won two world championships, two world cups and two gold medals at London Olympics and individual gold/team silver at Rio Olympics. He had nothing more to prove, so they retired him...nothing more to win!
 
Hi @Alitm ....how is leftie holding up? Sorry, I've been AWOL for so long I've lost track of everyone.....you're all so chatty there are pages of post I've missed! Not much longer for you now, then a little bit longer and you'll back with your horses.....loved the photos....when I was about 10 I was the original horsemad child, in theory knew everything about horses, how to ride, breeds, tack, illnesses etc you name it, it was in my head and my scrapbook. Unfortunately we lived in town and riding lessons were very expensive so I eventually became dog person (and wouldn't swap them of course). The nearest I got was when I was at uni and found somewhere that did cutprice lessons for students.....because I was tall they put me on their youngest horse.....first time out coincided with jets from the local Air Force field doing their low flying practice......picture me galloping down the road, heels up, leaning back, hotly pursued by the instructor yelling at me to 'lean forwards' (as if! :rotfl:) Lol still love horses but think my day has passed me by :boohoo: Hope leftie is kind to you while you wait and plot your return :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom