THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@bickypeg Mucking has been a part of my daily activities for so many years, it is like doing laundry to me! We have ultra light high tech plastic pitch forks, and we use shavings for bedding, so not hard really. The muscles strength is already there, I just had to wait for the hip healing to come along and be cleared by OS. I started gradually with just feeding, then another week I started putting the hay in the slow feeders, then the next week I did the mini's stall and paddock, and the week after that, I added the bigger horse's stall and paddock. It is really just one horse, as the mini is more like a dog in output!!! :heehee:. I am a bit stiff from my long drive (for where I am in recovery) yesterday, and if I didn't have another hip coming up, I'd wait another week or so to test that drive again. Luckily I work for myself, so am able to push back working until I'm ready. I am so grateful to not have to do the daily commute and have the pressure of returning to work, with hubby's health issues on the plate!

I think the self inflicted pressure I feel to heal quickly from second surgery (that hasn't even happened yet!), due to DH's hernia is weighing heavily on me, and I had no sleep last night worrying about it. He does seem comfortable as long as he doesn't do too much, so I have to find reassurance in that and worry less in that! Hopefully we'll see how I do post op this next surgery and try and gauge it from there. Luckily DH's appointment with surgeon isn't until almost two weeks post op, so we'll have an idea of how things are going for me healing wise. I think it will be quite a bit slower, given the first surgery hasn't hit the three month mark yet.

We have to go and pick up hay tomorrow. Our hay supplier is great. He will load it all for DH and tie it down. We will find a friend to unload at this end. It is a thankless and itchy job!

Have a lovely evening!
 
:wave:@Barbaraj We will have two out of three kids here for Christmas. Our "late arrival" is in grade 12 and will be home for three weeks over the holidays. He eats us out of house and home, so keeping up with the food shopping for him is an activity in itself! Our daughter can't be here on Christmas day, so we may do Boxing Day, once we know what her schedule is.

Hubby seems well enough to me today (he is out in the fields checking the fence posts he put in by hand...and which I'm sure gave him the hernia in the first place!), and from our discussion this AM, nothing has changed comfort/discomfort wise for him. It is when he lifts that the hernia pinches. GP says it isn't urgent or an emergency, so unless the surgeon says otherwise, I hope we can put it off until I am reasonably healed, not just scraping through, so I can take good care of DH and be on the ball! I feel very selfish in saying that though :sad:. It seems reasonable to think this second hip surgery will have a more taxing rehab, only because righty isn't healed up one hundred percent yet. I'll be on the walker longer I'm sure. I asked the OS about that at the last visit. He just said, "I don't want you falling"! Anyhow, Righty has been a super star being put through her paces since hubby had to stop lifting (and I was cleared for lifting), and I do ice and elevate at least twice a day for 40 + mins after activities. I want to slow down this week leading up to surgery, and not be sliding into the OR like it is home base :heehee:. I had a terrible nights sleep last night worry about the scheduling for surgeries, thus the chatting with hubby this AM. If I don't ask how he is, he won't tell, nor will he tell me that something has changed, unless it is considerably worse, and then it comes as a complete surprise to me!!

We had a foggy morning as well, but the sun is trying to peak through. Looks like more sun here tomorrow, which will be great for picking up a truck load of hay.....being loaded for us and a neighbour is coming to unload...no worries there!

Maybe we should "hop" the train with @An54 for Christmas!! It is starting to sound like a very relaxing idea indeed. I bet Halifax is so festive during the Christmas season!

Enjoy your weekend!
 
We have to go and pick up hay tomorrow. Our hay supplier is great. He will load it all for DH and tie it down. We will find a friend to unload at this end. It is a thankless and itchy job!
Wow - I guess I am very lucky. My straw supplier delivers to my storage area and puts the bales into the stable with very "large" equipment.

Not long now @Alitm !
 
@Jaycey Now that sounds like a good deal :ok:! I think we could get that kind of service if we lived outside of Vancouver. However, being on the Island, unless one is buying local hay (very high in sugar, so not great for our horses), we don't get that same service.

Usually our hay supplier comes with a semi and we do a split load with others in the neighbourhood. With the young horse down at my trainer friend's place until end of January, we don't need as much as usual. We are just getting a quarter load for now on our truck, so we have to go and get it.

Yup, getting ready for hip #2! :)
 
May be even though you are still healing this could be an easier recovery as you won't have a wonky hip!
I'll be thinking of you and wishing you peace about your upcoming LAST hip replacement!
Take a Sunday nap...you deserve one!:friends:
 
Last edited:
Good Sunday morning, @Alitm. I hope that the not so good sleep the night before translated into better sleep last night. I know you already know this, but worrying isn't going to make things go smoothly--it exhausts you, body and brain, and you need to gather all your strength and calm for the upcoming surgery--hard to believe it's now less than one week away! Having said that, I know that worry and stress simply goes with the territory, and for someone with a busy life as you clearly have, one recovering hip and one due to surgery, and an ailing husband--a big recipe for anxiety and poor sleep. But I think this second surgery really might go better for you. Knowing what to expect removes a big chunk of worry, I would think, and while you might be on a walker a little bit longer, so what?! You know what pain medications work for you, and you'll quickly be able to establish a routine that works, without overdoing thing. You have already figured out so much in terms of what works in recovery that I think you might be far less neurotic during recovery. Mine second hip will need to be done at some point and while I certainly won't be looking forward to it, I think I will be much less anxious about the prospect! And you are such a good planner that I'm betting it will actually be pretty smooth sailing. Sunny here this morning, a lovely day ahead--hope it's like that for you up in Vancouver Island, too. have a great day!
 
Hopefully you're able to take it easy this week leading up to your op. It's good hubs will be able to hold off on the surgery for his hernia. One surgery at a time and hopefully his in January will be the end of surgeries between the two of you...for a good long time. Like forever, lol.
Will be thinking of you as you move through this week and will check in again soon.
Hope your day is a peaceful one. :friends:
@Alitm
 
hello @Alitm, how was the visit to see your horse? I bet you're getting nervous? I am so happy for you to be on your way through the final push. I am lucky that our hay is grown right here on the ranch and is delivered to the door right off the field. Still waiting for the trainer to get back from the world show. I plan on going over to see my girl tomorrow. There is a cutting club show this weekend, I'm not sure if he plans on showing her at this one or not. It's 3 days, I can only drive up for 1 day. My husband sees his OS Tuesday morning so we hope to have a plan in place for him. Part of his shoulder issues were putting in fence posts a year ago last fall, and he even had help from a big strong guy, but the hubby still felt like he had to use the digging bar.... My daughter gets here on the 4th. I am so excited, she will be here for 3 weeks. We get the puppy on the 15th of Dec. we're going down next week to make a final pick. I will get some pictures.

how is righty feeling? you were cleared to lift, i bet you do well with lefty. especially barring any complications, you will heal up quickly.
Just imagine how wonderful March 1 is going to be!! and the rest of the summer:dancy::fasthorse:

I'll be keeping tabs on you. and hoping for a complete success and speedy recovery. you'll do great.
cheers
LM
 
@Mojo333 I am sure righty will be thrilled to have to only go to the bathroom and back the first week post LTHR!! She has been put through her paces these last few weeks and has done so well. Slowing right down again and hanging out with a new healthy partner will help her out immensely I'm sure! Saying many thank you's to my OS for his handy work thus far :)

I had a late afternoon nap!!! Yay!!:sleep:
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj Thanks for your moral support...so appreciated!!:-) My Mum always used to say to park the worry at the end of the bed for the night, so one could have a good sleep....I caught up on my sleep last night.

We went and picked up the hay today, and it was unloaded for us. Between that and doing the stalls and feeding AM and PM that is all I've done. I had a nap in the recliner earlier, and DH has gone to pick up our daughter from the ferry and is picking up some delicious Indian food on the way home. Our daughter has been taking a wine course in Vancouver. She will be with us tonight and then goes up island tomorrow to start her new job on Tuesday. The dust will settle for a few days and then surgery on Friday! My sister talked me out of Christmas shopping this week...I am so relieved!!!
 
hello @Alitm, how was the visit to see your horse? I bet you're getting nervous? I am so happy for you to be on your way through the final push. I am lucky that our hay is grown right here on the ranch and is delivered to the door right off the field. Still waiting for the trainer to get back from the world show. I plan on going over to see my girl tomorrow. There is a cutting club show this weekend, I'm not sure if he plans on showing her at this one or not. It's 3 days, I can only drive up for 1 day. My husband sees his OS Tuesday morning so we hope to have a plan in place for him. Part of his shoulder issues were putting in fence posts a year ago last fall, and he even had help from a big strong guy, but the hubby still felt like he had to use the digging bar.... My daughter gets here on the 4th. I am so excited, she will be here for 3 weeks. We get the puppy on the 15th of Dec. we're going down next week to make a final pick. I will get some pictures.

how is righty feeling? you were cleared to lift, i bet you do well with lefty. especially barring any complications, you will heal up quickly.
Just imagine how wonderful March 1 is going to be!! and the rest of the summer:dancy::fasthorse:

I'll be keeping tabs on you. and hoping for a complete success and speedy recovery. you'll do great.
cheers
LM

Hi! It was great to see my boy. Completely forgot to take video! He looks good :-) Hope you have a great visit tomorrow and if she goes to the show, you get to see her compete!

Fingers crossed for a plan with the OS surgeon and your husband on Tuesday. Let me know how that goes. What is it with these men and the wretched fence posts!!

So great that your daughter will be with you for three weeks! Our daughter is coming back from a course in Vancouver tonight...hubby has gone to pick her up, but then leaves tomorrow to go up island to start her new job! She has one more weekend where she has to go back to Vancouver to finish her course, and we are not sure when we will get to see her again. She works in the hospitality industry so doesn't get Christmas Day off. She will be three hours north of us.

Can't wait to see your puppy pics.

Righty is pretty amazing really. The drive down to see my boy on my own was a real test. Then Saturday and today proved to be busier than I planned, but I iced and rested between everything yesterday. Today I ended up going all day, until about 3PM. Went out quickly to feed at 5 PM....came in and took a nap until my sister called to catch up a bit. I'm going to slow down this week and rest up for surgery. I'm not going to try and Christmas shop...it is just silly...too much going on!

I think being able to do the horses and drive and have some normalcy have been a good thing. I'll know how righty healed up to the nine week mark and I've had a chance to strengthen her up, without PT!!! LOL!! My biggest complaint is being so tired in the afternoons when I do a lot. The hip is taking what it needs and not leaving me with much, like being pregnant really!

I am keeping my eye on the prize, and how life will be come spring and summer. I keep trying to figure out how this next hip will have a chance to heal...will it be harder as it has a not completely healed hip to deal with, or will it be easier like Mojo suggested, because it isn't dealing with the other hip being diseased! It will all be unveiled soon enough! Stay tuned!

How are you feeling? How is that tendonitis? Are you getting a handle on that? I sure hope so...I need to get over to your thread!
Thanks again for the moral support with my second surgery :fasthorse:
 
:hi:I am certainly praying for an easy time of it for you.
Honestly you have done so well, hard to remember you aren't even two months post op on right hip.
I can imagine it is tough to think about "starting again":unsure:
But you can do this...and as you day..2019 will be amazing.
:yahoo:
 
Hi @Alitm
Counting down to your big day. Double hippy status soon :happydance:
You'll be all done and on your way to a fabulous New Year without any hip pain. :yay:
I'm excited for you!
I hope you are able to have a relaxing few days before Friday
Big hugs :friends:
 
Good day, @Alitm. I had to chuckle when I read that you were going pretty much all day this past weeken--and "only" had hay delivered, and AM and PM feedings, as if these were nothing. You get a phenomenal amount of work done daily despite the hip that is ready for replacement the end of this week! I know you said you're trying to ease into this final week, but I sometimes think your idea of sliding into surgery would be a full week's worth of work for most folks--imagine if you were actually up and running, you could take over the world, my friend!
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Mojo333 On one hand I can't believe I'm doing it again either, but on the other am sure glad I am :yes!:. Poor Lefty has been pushed to her limit. It will be interesting to see how the healing shakes out. I'm going to roll with it however it unfolds, and am so happy to have all you amazing and wonderful folks at BoneSmart to keep me company, again! :roseshwr:.

My biggest question is...when will I be able to use the golfers reach off of first surgery Righty? I like that golfers reach and will miss it if I can't do it for awhile!! :heehee:
Wishing you a great week :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Layla, I am looking forward to getting this all behind me, and am excited for what 2019 has to hold!
:roseshwr: I am ever grateful to your heel toe footfall advice. When do you reckon I'll be able to use the golfer's reach off of Righty, first hip surgery? That is my biggest worry right now :rotfl:!!!
Wishing you a great week :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Barbaraj Getting in hay for the winter is just something that has to be done :) I've been feeding horses for so many years, it is like feeding dogs and cats is to others. It is a quick routine when you know how and do it daily! With hubby having to have surgery too, we need to get a couple of things wrapped up, hay is one of them :)

I'm being really mindful of eating well and getting my sleep this week, as well as resting and elevating/icing Righty through out the day. Poor Lefty is pretty tired out, so it will be interesting to see what happens with Righty post op, in terms if she gets more rest as per Lefty's post op schedule etc.

Praying that Lefty's surgery goes as smoothly as Righty's did, and if I'm really lucky, my blood pressure and O2 levels won't go dippity do like they did last time.

My biggest question mark is when I'll be able to do the golfer's reach off of my right leg?!! It is so useful for picking things up off the floor, and planting bulbs!! I have to honour the 90 degree thing in terms of bending over through three months post op, so I'll have to wait another three weeks from second surgery, when I'll be twelve weeks on first! This is getting complicated!! LOL!!

It has been SO cold and frosty first thing in the morning here! How dare it! It does warm up during the day, and very sunny today....but rain is coming tonight.
Hoping you are having a restful and peaceful evening :flwrysmile:
 
I think by the time you will need to use the golfers reach you should be able to.
You probably won't need to or want to the first few weeks anyway..don't you think?:shrug:
It is so useful for picking things up off the floor, and planting bulbs!
Hold your horses (pun intended) there Missy!:no-fin: Thinking of planting bulbs When?
Don't you start worrying me now.
Grabbers for you for a bit for retrieving dropped items and the bulbs will need to wait...a day or two at least!:heehee:
 
Good morning, @Alitm. No rain here, looks like another fairly pleasant day actually. It was sunny yesterday afternoon and very pleasant--I actually heard on the evening news that we'd broken some sort of temperature record here yesterday, up into the low 60's in the Seattle area. Amazing for mid-November! I think our rain is due to arrive again tomorrow but it's been very pleasant having these nice afternoons here, with sunshine and unexpectedly warm temperatures yesterday.

I know you say you are taking it easy, resting and icing, and eating well, but it still sounds like you're getting quite a bit of physical work accomplished. I can absolutely appreciate that your lifestyle demands a certain amount of labor that most of us would find taxing, but I am always impressed reading your posts, that you know that you must balance this with downtime, especially with your second surgery coming up in a few days. I, of course, can't predict the future, but I am betting this second surgery will go well like your first one despite the few wobbles you experienced in the beginning. You have worked so hard to prepare yourself that I think your work will pay off and by year's end you'll be well on your way to a full recovery. You know that "slow and steady wins the race", and no reason to think you'll forget that. Will there be challenges? Sure there will, but you will take it one day at a time and before you know it all this hip nonsense will be far away in your rear view mirror! Cheers, and have a good day.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom