THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

She came back and asked for half up front.
I just don't understand this. What is she basing this request on? Does she think you won't pay or is she totally broke and relying on your good will?

Hope you get Hubby's results soon!
 
@Jaycey Apparently a farm with about ten horses booked her last January, for this Christmas and supposedly paid the whole lot a year ago up front! I know prior to that she had asked another gal to pay for half of a three week sit up front. No one has said anything to her as there is a shortage (no one else readily available) of sitters so I guess she is getting away with it. She has worked at various boarding barns but no steady jobs...she always parts ways with them. When I stood up to the situation she backed down to half. I've never heard of what she is asking. I spoke to someone else yesterday, and her barn owner is away (small four stall barn). Apparently they pay this gal something up front, but not the whole lot, and no deposit. I called around and checked at dog kennels that do holiday boarding. They charge $30 per night on average, no deposit! I checked with a couple of riding coaches in the area. They have had this gal before and won't have her back. They use their students for horse sitting. I called an old horse sitter friend in Bermuda, where I used to live. She is a well qualified equine massage therapist for competition horses. She currently charges $25 a day (Bda is rated one of the top three most expensive places to live in the world!), and is paid when the owner returns! No deposits....nothing. The whole thing feels like a cash grab :hairpulling: .

In the last three jobs of sitting at my barn, I've paid cash up front, at the start of the job...so no excuses there!
 
Last edited:
Did you ever think of gently reminding, Horse Sitter, that most won't appreciate her request for up front payment which through word of mouth, may lead to less jobs for her going forward? Also wondering if the person with the ten horses who booked her last January and paid up front, struck a cash deal with her at way less cost? Like a considerably lesser amount? Horse Sitter gives her price and Ten Horse Guy asks "how about I pay you cash, all up front, but only this amount"? Possibility?
I hope you get it all worked out. I can see where it would be frustrating as you're moving toward your second surgery and continued recovery. Hoping you get results for hubs ultrasound soon.
Hugs :friends:
@Alitm
 
Good morning, @Alitm, I hope this maddening business with the horse sitter gets sorted out. It's not like you need more stress in your life! When/if I get a second hip replacement surgery, I just need to coordinate with my husband and he charges nothing so a great deal for me! I am sure I'll have to repay him at some point, as nobody gets out of this life without caregiving duties for one's significant other, but arranging for care for animals and/or pets must be another huge hassle in terms of surgical prep. So sorry, and hope it gets sorted soon. Any word on husband's ultra sound results? In your incredibly busy life, it seems like there is "always something" around the corner. But I loved some lovely, serene pictures you posted recently, presumably land around where you live, and I'm betting the beautiful landscape where you live must induce feelings of calm and quiet to help you cope with the multitude of stresses you're coping with. I hope your Friday is good--yup, definitely rain in my neck of the woods, too, but after a long dry spell this October, I know we need the rain. But I'm already feeling wistful for that lovely spate of days we had a week or so ago--cool, sunny fall days. Now it's on to late fall and winter gloom--for six really' months or more, most probably! Eek!
 
Last edited:
@Layla I sure hope the ten horse barn worked out something along those lines! I've used this gal three times and always paid cash up front at start of job! This time I'm going to the OR, not on holiday, at a hospital half an hour away, and will be on property post op. Anyhow, I have enough folks on back up now, that I won't have to use her again.
 
She's a fannagling little business woman, isn't she?! :heehee:
 
@Barbaraj Thank you to you and everyone for listening to me moan about the wretched horse sitter. Normally this wouldn't get under my skin and I wouldn't mention it. Finding that post-op hip one, second op coming up, worry about husband makes me such a whiner :gaah:! Thanks for putting up with me! The gal gets paid half now and the balance at the start of the job. She won't be hired again. Moving on!
Yup, for better or worse:roseshwr:! Hubs has been and still is looking after me so well. I'm cooking meals with him now etc. and doing lots around the house, laundry etc. Thankfully he knows I still get really tired and need to ice and elevate a few times a day. I'll be able to give him just a little back when he goes in for his surgery. No results yet...yesterday's visit was a waste of time unfortunately. I usually get my results within 24 hrs, so he should have some news today I would think.

Later this AM is pre-admission at the OR dept for left hip. Get to collect those lovely disinfectant sponges! Can't believe how fast the time has gone really. I'm glad I have another three weeks of healing ahead of me....as it should stand me in good stead! Hoping to have some driving time too...and maybe I can get a little Christmas shopping done! Our daughter will be here next Thursday, so hoping she and I can do a few things together as well...normal life stuff (we have a favourite place we like to go for lunch together), before hitting "the table" again :heehee:

Our son, in grade 12, has gone to school today, but is sick as a dog. He has a lab due and a couple of other things, so has taken Tylenol flu and will slog through the day. He can rest on the weekend. I'm trying to stay away from him and am "running" around with Lysol wipes, downing the vit C etc. :fingersx:

The sun is out here, sort of, but only rain on the forecast. Do you get the occasional sunny day during the winter?! When we moved here six years ago, folks said to mark sunny winter days on the calendar, and we'd realize that it wasn't so bad in the winter! I find for the most part I can get out and walk and ride, as the rain, most of the time, is a drizzle, not a deluge! One just has to dress for it. Very different from the US, east coast winters, which was my previous frame of reference.

Where we live is stunning and so peaceful. We have a little logging cabin that needs fixing up. We have often thought of doing an air B & B targeting the hiking, biking, canoeing world or folks who want to get away. We hike with the dogs, the kids and my neighbour on the trails in the hills. I also used to trail ride my horse a lot up there pre-hips, and hope to again soon. We are so close to town, but yet are really "in the bush" as they say here. We get deer, bear, cougar and Rosevelt Elk (in the winter), and sometimes wolves (rare). We also have hawks, eagles (nest on the property and can watch the cycle of life from our dining table!) and amazing owls! We don't have coyotes thank goodness (they are so sneaky). Because there is so much space and ready food supply, we don't have issues with our garbage, or the like. They don't bother us and we don't bother them. It is really neat to coexist that way. I can't wait to get back to hiking :-)

Better get on with the day...wishing you a good one and sending a little cyber sunshine your way today :SUNsmile:
 
Sounds idyllic your log cabin. You have so much on your plate and I wish you all the very best for your 2nd operation. As for the horse-sitter… hope it works out.. she does sound rather mercenary! My string quartet charges a 20% deposit with the balance paid on the day after we finish performing. The deposit is just to cover possible cancellation. Brides have been known to suddenly change their minds and want saxophones instead (!) As we take bookings 6-months in advance in the busy season it makes good business sense to charge a deposit.

What is sneaky about coyotes? We don't get those in the Sunny South of the UK!
 
Just a quick note in response to your posting, @Alitm, to say that you have every right (and then some) to complain and no reason to apologize for that! If I was dealing with everything you're dealing with, I would be a major, major whiner, far worse than you who always seems to find time to post encouraging messages for others, and to take things in stride despite the multitude of stresses you're dealing with. If anything, give yourself a resounding pat on the back--you totally rock, lady, and don't you forget it! Despite the frustrations of scheduling horse sitters, glad to hear it is all worked out and you're focusing ahead. If it is at all nice where you are, get outside today. Rain has temporarily eased up, and I've asked my husband if we can go out for a walk when he returns from the gym this morning. I have a nice hooded raincoat and as long as it's not a hard downpour, I'm looking forward to some fresh air and a walk.
 
I agree with BarbaraJ - complain all you want. That's what this site is about. It's your thread and you can whine as needed. Lots going on for you already and then having someone throw a spanner in the works!

Your area sounds really beautiful. I am on the east coast of the UK right off the North Sea. Very rainy today and the cold winds are really biting. Please send a little sunshine my way!
 
@Alitm
What a drag about the horse sitter! Does not sound reliable. That is a tough one cuz we worry so about our horses, anything can go wrong so quickly. It is So important to know you have someone you can trust, she really has muddied things up with weird questionable payment demands. Do you think you can trust her? Everyone who has ever watched our horses were paid in full when we returned. No one has ever asked for the money upfront. 17+ hh horse! Wow that is a big guy for sure. My girl is 15.2 my gelding is 15.3, and our borrowed horse (to keep the gelding company while my girl is gone) is like 14. My girl is considered big for a cutting horse.

I am happy for you that your daughter is coming. I have to wait another 6 weeks before mine comes home. It is good that things were postponed a bit for you isn’t it? To have at least a little time to be normal. You’ll sail through this. Keep your eye on the prize. Your going to get your life back!!

Have a great weekend :fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse:
 
@Lmflora "Cash grabber" has done a decent job in the past, but I've never left her full charge of the farm or anything like that. There has always been someone coming around to keep an eye on things. She wouldn't do anything to hurt the horses, but she skips out on things where she can. I won't be using her again. Sadly I was committed this time around, and did not pay as she asked. If I thought the horses would suffer, I would go against the commitment I made.

The good news is I interviewed a gal today who comes with very good references (I know them), I know her Mum and their family farm and how they run things. She is reasonable with her charges too. She was recommended by a friend who is a very good coach and holds the bar high. I'm relieved to know I have someone good moving forward from this ridiculous situation.

I am quite tall so look a bit foolish on a smaller horse, but as I age, I go smaller! My young guy is 16.1 LOL!! They all learn to come to the fence or mounting block. I haven't got on from the ground in years :heehee:

Have a great weekend!
 
@Alitm so glad to hear you’ve got horse sitter options! I’m glad the reason cash grabber was not asked back at her other jobs wasn’t because of her care of the horses.

We share the height issue I think, I’m 6 ft tall, the tallest horse I ever rode was 16 hands. Harder and harder to find tall working horses that can do the quick athletic moves of reining and cow horses. I always try to find the biggest horse I can. When I was shopping around for my girl, believe it or not she was the biggest horse I rode in my price range. Of the 6 horses I tried out over 3 states, there was 1 gelding that was 15.3, he was the biggest one, nice horse but too pricey.

Quarter horses have gotten smaller and smaller. since I started cutting, I was instructed to shorten my stirrups way more than usual, for stability. I sometimes feel like I’m squished.

Do you think your height had any bearing on your hip problems?

Have a great weekend.
 
@Lmflora WOW I didn't know that about how Quarter Horses are getting smaller and smaller! That is kinda crazy! The smaller horses must be easier on your hips. Why are QH's being bred smaller?
So do you find the horse actually takes up your leg? When you put your leg on, does it make contact with the horse way under the belly?

Does the racing quarter horse still exist?

I'm not as tall as you, but all my height is in my body, so I sit up really high on a horse, and I look ridiculous on a smaller horse! No, I rarely come off horse, but I think the two rather spectacular falls I had had everything to do with my OA in my hips, not my height.
 
@Alitm, I need to clarify, reining, cow horse and cutting horses, the quick athletes have gotten smaller over the years. The reason for smaller horses is apparent when you watch a high end cutting, it really is amazing how quick the little horses are.

I choke up watching the thoroughbred race horses run the big races on TV every year, my husband rolls his eyes at me as tears stream down my face watching those huge beautiful animals run. I’m not sure about QH race horses. Yes they exist still, it has been years since I have been to a QH race. But some roping horses have a lot of size. There are some big QH out there, although I have never seen a 17 hh QH. And I think an average QH is in the 15 range. Some of the horses I looked at were 14 or under, way to small for me, but boy could they move quick, something to see on the cows.

I don’t have any trouble with leg contact on my mare or my gelding. Most contact is with calf below the knee. At least after they are broke well.

I don’t think there would be any difference with my hips, other than getting on and off. I don’t think height had anything to do with my hips either, my problems are genetic, my mother had severe scoliosis, I was born with a mild form, so the docs at that time put me in a weird brace thing for a year. I think that is what messed my hips up. I had displasia on the right and FAI cam on the left.

I’ll try to find some pictures!
 
@Lmflora I have seen the early training on the mechanical cow, so I understand the need to be able to move quickly on the cows. It is amazing to watch, as it seems to me the cutting horses just drop their front ends down to head off the cow. The agility to move back and forth in that sort of crouch is amazing! I would love to teach my horse to do that, just because it would be so good for his mind!

So many non-riding folk wanted to blame me riding big warmbloods as the cause of my hips, but my OS says otherwise. Here is a picture of my big guy, before he was retired, when he was fit, muscled and I'd just groomed him(!).....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
    IMG_0530.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Gorgeous for sure!
You have a great weekend also.
Glad you have a competent replacement!:)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom