THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Sunday review of the past week. Wow, what a difference a week makes....
After a brief stint in the ODIC club, I dialed everything back, rested and iced a ton and walked outside once on Friday. Saturday the rain and wind came along so puttered around inside, had a shower (which is still more tiring than I would like), ran @lovesstar 's test to see if I was truly ready for one crutch (apparently I am). Today I was on one crutch. Big event was to make two loaves of banana bread for hubs and our youngest son, who is a senior in high school. He plays rugby and trains hard...and NEVER stops eating! Spent the rest of the afternoon in the recliner watching a movie.
Pain: Much improved. Spent from Tuesday afternoon to Thursday PM tapering off Tramacet. Still taking Tylenol around the clock, but about half the max dose for 24 hrs. I do forget to take it in the afternoons when I'm feet up in the recliner and icing. The ice is an amazing natural pain killer.
Mobility: Stopped walker late Tuesday, started on crutches on Weds AM. Now on one crutch inside. Will probably still use two for outside for awhile.
Sleeping: Still in recliner. Trialed sleeping in bed with leg lift as I was doing pre-surgery. Felt a ton more comfortable. Might try afternoon nap that way tomorrow.
Generally I am making progress, which I'm thrilled about. It takes enormous patience!
Falling asleep so wishing all hippies a pain free and restful night.
:sleep::ice:
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj Here is Zenith, following me around the pasture like a dog! He is very brave, as there is a huge eagle's nest a way over to the left of this pictures, and the eagles fly overhead frequently. Zenith is a bit of a fatty, we don't know how, as he is on a strict diet. My nick name for him is "Fatty Catty". He does a fair amount of hunting, which is all lean protein. He must be stealing food from somewhere!
I could hardly pick him up before surgery. When I would go to pick him up before surgery, he would roll over to have his tummy scratched....trying to pick him up from that position absolutely killed my aching hips!

[Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
 
@Alitm
What is that gorgeous enormous tree? Is this on your land? I adore old towering trees! Looks very pretty there. And cute chunky kitty but let me warn you they can be hazardous to your hips those kitties. As you learned! I'm trying to train my cat to step up on higher objects so I can pet her. No more bending to floor until I'm sure this hardware is going to go along with the move.
Hope your energy restores soon. I know it will.
 
@1stSurgery It is a very old maple that is sadly on its way out. We are on what is known here as "agricultural land reserve"...protected farm land basically. We have neighbouring farms all around us, and forestry land in the mountains behind us (along with black bear, the resident cougar, deer and Rosevelt Elk)...but civilization and a major highway are five minutes a way!!

Ya, Fatty Catty doesn't arch his back to allow a hand to scoop under, in the pick up mode, he just flops over, which is very hip unfriendly! I lost the ability to squat down to wrap bandages on horse's legs, and that also included getting down to scoop up kitties. I was able to touch my toes up until to surgery day, and that forward bend and roll up saved my bacon on many occasion in the barn and with picking up my FC! Weird what still worked when most things didn't :unsure:! Never knew what I could rely on!
 
Sounds beautiful there and very healing. I hope you're getting in good outdoor time during the recovery, feed those microbiome! Sorry about the maple tree, looks like an old one... I lost 10 trees in the past year and a half in our drought. All my palms in the front, palms here are under some attack of bugs and not faring well. :(
At risk of way off topic, but not really, I will bring it around.... We ordered an extra long litter scooper not unlike the giraff razor, long handled so you can clear the box without bending. Works well but that's still in the hubby column of household duties here, unless he's gone. And that is an assistance device for THR hippies. Guess we will keep it as useful for when we are 95.
 
Awww.. beautiful dog, @Alitm, and sorry to hear that magnificent tree is on the way out. We have a handsome birch tree in our backyard which is dying from the top down, always sad when these old beauties get so sick.

Soon you’ll be able to heft up ole Fatty Catty once hip #2 is done. I’ve had difficulty hefting up my grands and hoping that will be much easier once I’m recovered. It is this sort of thing that reminds me that despite the slow recovery I am going to be getting back so many of those small life pleasures again.
 
@1stSurgery and @Barbaraj

Tall and Small..not a great pic, but you get the idea. The big guy is retired and the small guy was a rescue, a miniature horse cross. The little guy is so cheeky and will go right up to Tall and bite him on his nose! No fear whatsoever! The big guy is 17.2 HH and many ask if he was the cause of the demise of my hips. OS says no, my problems started 30 years ago!

[Bonesmart.org] Celebrating one at a time, encore!
 
Likewise, awwwww! So cute! Can't imagine such friendly horses would be guilty of hip assassination! Thanks for posting these - I'm just surprised one of them isn't your avatar!
 
@Bone-obo Saving the best for last! There is a chance my avatar will change prior #2 hip surgery.

@1stSurgery I refer to them as Tall and Small but really they are Quest and Leo! I was going to refer to Quest as HD (hip demise) but as I said, the OS has assured me otherwise.
 
@1stSurgery Great to know about the long handled poop scooper for kitty litter. I won't be able to muck out stables for a long time, but there might be a couple of weeks pre #2 that I can do the kitty litter!!! Small bits of random help for hubby!
 
@Barbaraj The "giraffe" and I had a date in the shower this evening...maybe I should call my shower time "Adventures In Shaving With A Giraffe".....either way, it works, despite it being a test of fine motor skills and creativity. I can recommended it to any hippies wishing to shave their legs post-op, while adhering to 90 degree precautions :yes:
 
I won't be able to muck out stables for a long time
You'll get back to it sooner than you think. Once you are cleared to begin lifting again you are good to go. Grooming and then mucking out are my first chores daily. Keeps my lower back and hips moving.
 
@Alitm Beautiful pics...I do love the country!
My best friend has Talls and Smalls AND some beautiful land.

You will get back to your life once all this recovery business is done.
I think you are doing wonderfully for just shy of one month!
Hope today is a Good Day!
 
@Alitm, so great that the giraffe worked! As I said, I am sure I can get the left one done but very nervous about the right leg. I appreciate that being able to handle some basic grooming is a critical step along this slow path to feeling “normal”, so very glad you have been able to reach this satisfying goal.
 
Good Morning @Barbaraj, Hope you had a restful night and are having a good morning thus far. It is nice to know the legs can be shaved. Truth be known I probably have stripes around the back of my calf, but I'm not getting a mirror and checking :heehee: . A friend of mine here laughed when I told her, but understood my need to want to do something "normal", even if it involved something long handled!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom