THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@1stSurgery How are you doing this AM? How are your pain levels...any shift? Any news from the OS's office...I guess it is too early just yet. Thinking of you! :flwrysmile:

I too am dreaming of a short handled world :heehee:
 
Hi @Jacyey I was going to ask you about grooming...not as in the full deal, but just passing a hard brush over the boys. Not feeling anywhere near wanting to even attempt it yet, but wondering when that desire might emerge! I am scheduled for second surgery on Nov 8 and see my OS again on Oct 29. I wonder if I'll be able to do anything for my horses before second surgery. When is the average time for being cleared to weight bear? I have absolutely NO idea!!!

My pain levels are really improved. For me it is the energy drain that sidelines me! I was looking at the charts and see that the first three weeks are the same. I realize I can't do the scheduled walks AND do anything around the house. I feel really pathetic, but know I just have to go with the flow. The exciting part is that I am moving around on one crutch really well (although when I venture back out to the barn I'll go on two crutches), and when I'm getting dressed, I am able to take a lot of weight on my op leg, which is quite surprising! I can feel that one day I'm just going to get up and walk, forgetting the crutch behind. It is amazing to me how it all evolves if we allow it. I've been so tired I haven't even been doing the core work or upper body, but apparently all the energy drain is going into healing, as I'm seeing progress each week!

We are having much needed rain, so I'm just puttering around the house, doing little bits and pieces, without tiring myself out. I take a Swiffer duster around my in-house walks!! LOL!! Not sure if you get those in the UK. It is the ultimate in lazy dusting techniques! Not getting into furniture polish and all that, just getting rid of the dust!

Any feedback on the horse and pony care time line, to be used as a guide only, would be helpful....everyone is different I know! I have no desire to go back to the ODIC!

Wishing you a lovely evening! I think we are eight hours apart time wise!
 
@Mojo333 LIKE the new avatar! Healthy and athletic images...just what I need to boost my low energy levels! I'm fine and know it is where my body is at at the moment. Just hard to be patient. Good to feel my gains though, as that must be where all my energy is going. Also thankful that pain levels are diminished in op leg. Back and other leg are a nuisance though....saying "hello" in our damp fall weather! Second surgery coming up next month now!!!
 
Sounds like you're doing great, @Alitm! I find when I wake up I don't feel so great--stiff and sore, muddle-headed from those stupid narcotics and feeling sorry for myself. But once I'm actually up and have done a bit of walking, suddenly things seem better and brighter. I've even, after talking with my husband, decided to maybe take a few walks today sans walker, just holding onto his shoulder. I am able to remember to stand up straight, suck in my gut and walk deliberately without that walker interfering. I am assuming (hoping) that the real reason for the walker is to provide a safety cage basically, so if I do step funny I can catch myself and not fall. But I spend so much effort just rolling the thing forward when I'm walking that I do slightly lean forward (cue: little old lady walk) whereas walking without it is much better posture and I feel more stable. I am able to put my full weight on my operated leg without significant discomfort. I know I shouldn't be walking without something near by (countertops or husband's shoulder) to help me if I lose balance, but it feels so much better to walk unaided that I'm definitely going to try it today for a few short walks.

I am so impressed that your goal is to get outside and groom horses! That's pretty impressive. I'd like to be able to do some inside tidying myself but since those chores involve a lot of bending and stooping, I am pretty certain it's not a good idea yet. So far not terrible energy drain, but I am few weeks behind you so I suspect that's in my future. Everything does feel like an enormous production (but another shower this morning--feel so much better) and I'm moving slowly but definitely feels like progress! We're moving ahead!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj Do you have crutches? Properly fitted crutches are awesome and make you stand up straight...a huge difference from the walker. The cane is too wobbly for me still, but now one crutch is great. Getting on the crutches....nice to be independent of the walker AND my hubby. Standing up straight, working on posture and gait, all liberating feelings. Don't push the trying to walk on your own without assisted device, particularly while still on narcotics. No falling! Try the crutches...they make such a difference, and will help all the issues you are having.

I too still feel stiff in the am and do a pre-flight check list before moving off, particularly in the AM or the middle of the night!!! I waggle my feet, like as in simulated walking, first while in the chair. As I tend to have low BP normally, I sit up slowly, then stand up slowly, get oriented and hobble off. Things get better after about three strides or so!! @Layla has said how the heel toe walking really helped her gait, and I find it to be true, when I remember to think about it! It does become clearer as the pain improves and one weans off onto just Tylenol :)
Those pain meds are a necessary evil.

I have posted my gains, but I'm also moving like a slug energy wise. I'll not be grooming horses anytime this week or next!!! LOL!! I would like to get out to the barn again and adjust their rain sheets...just me pulling the sheet forward a bit from over the barn door, to get the pressure off their shoulders...they get shoulder rubs until their winter coats come in properly. The big guy is a little prince and has a very fine coat...and has to be pampered with warm blankets through the winter! Trying to keep my eye on the chart that illustrates that the first three weeks are the same, with weekly improvements happening after that. I find that chart a reality check! I know everyone is different, and different approaches allow some to mover around faster in the first six weeks, but the healing still has to happen, so keep all that in mind.
Make today a crutches day! :yes!:
 
Hi, @Alitm, I don't have any crutches so not an option yet. But friends are loaning me their walking sticks, bringing them by tomorrow so maybe I'll try those. The walker is horrible for my posture and such a drag, but maybe at my 2 week post op visit (October 16) I can get some crutches. I just feel right now that the walker is becoming more of a hindrance than a help. But, I will continue to use it for the most part as I don't want to overdo it. Particularly when I first get up, I feel so drugged (just taking the Tramadol at night, so no foggy headedness once I'm up for the day--using only Tylenol during the daytime now) that I know the walker is critical until the fog clears. But you are doing absolutely great, and you are my inspiration! Since that is your real job here, being my inspiration, you are absolutely required to keep up the good work!:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Can you read my tshirt? Hubby found it and said it should be my new pic:heehee:
Getting my hips fixed turned back the years for me...I do feel healthy and you will get there too.
By next spring, you will be golden!!!!!:tada:
 
@Mojo333 It looks like it says "stars" in white (big clue, picture of stars :heehee:!!) but I can't see the writing behind it! Let me know what it says!! You are such an inspiration! Yay! I know...next spring is where it will be at for me :happydance:
 
@Barbaraj OK....I'll try and behave :rotfl: .

I saw my OS a week ago today. He said the walker was holding me back and to get onto the cane. I found that wobbly, so tried the crutches...they have been a God send for standing up straight and improving my mobility. I have the cane out, but I have this image in my mind with the cane, that I really should get over....:old: !

Really important to get the crutches properly fitted. I followed the directions they came with and cross referenced those on line...just a tad A type!!! Re the walker, I was taught at the hospital to move the walker, then my op leg, then the other. As I improved it was more simultaneous, the walker and the op leg. I started that way with the crutches just to begin with, but then moved the crutches, and almost simultaneously the op foot, then the other. Now I'm on one crutch and use it just like a cane (with the op leg). For some reason I find the one crutch more supportive than a cane. Go back through lovesstars posts, or google, to see the "when are you ready for one crutch test". It gives you an idea of how much weight bearing you are able to do on your op leg, and that will give you a heads up that you are ready for one crutch. I found it to be so. The crutches are is cumbersome to go out and about with I would imagine though. I have to get rid of that cane image in my mind. Really important that the cane also has to be fitted correctly (check on line how to do that and compare that info to where your to-be-borrowed canes fit you), otherwise one can get back to the stooping we so want to get away from. There is no benefit to us to move through the stages of need supportive aids too quickly and not really being ready for the next phase, but I do agree with you on the walker thing and wanting to stand up straight. Sounds like you are getting ready to kick it to the curb as I think Mojo333 said to me! You are listening to your body :yes!:.

Another thing, I had my walker fitted before surgery, and post surgery I think it could have gone up a notch. I'm going to check it before I have my second surgery. I feel taller...so strange!

A friend is taking me out for coffee on Thursday morning. It is Canadian Thanksgiving, so I'll have something special. I think I'll take two crutches, and use one to fend people off!
Hope you have a comfy day :flwrysmile:
 
I was going to ask you about grooming...not as in the full deal, but just passing a hard brush over the boys. Not feeling anywhere near wanting to even attempt it yet, but wondering when that desire might emerge!
Any activity post op is really individual. Are you not allowed to fully weight bear yet? If so, I would wait until restrictions are lifted.

It would also depend your horses' temperaments. If they are "fussy" during groom you certainly would not want to attempt this until you are totally steady on your feet. Even when you are not post op there is always a risk of getting knocked over if a horse spooks. Perhaps have help the first few times to make sure you are feeling at ease.

Having said all that I find animal very therapeutic - especially during recovery. Once you are moving well on that one crutch and feeling stronger can you venture to their area and just visit? Maybe make that your first goal with the grooming bit a follow on.
 
Hi @Alitm, I actually took a walk this morning (a circuit down the hall, around the kitchen island, along the family sofa and back to the hallway—repeat) without the walker and with my husband walking behind. I was conscious of standing up straight, moving my operated leg smoothly and staying stable and “even” in my hips (not leaning to the left) as I walked. It felt good although I was surprised how quickly I got tired! Now collapsed on the bed with an ice pack. Nice to hear that you’ve also been looking beyond the walker now—definitely feel as if I am ready to transition at least part-time to something else. Light at the end of the tunnel is a little brighter this morning!
 
Oh no, @lovesstars, does that emoji mean you are horrified by my actions? I am truly not pushing it (very short non-walker walks) but I like how my body feels when I am able to walk a bit without the walker but standing straight and tall. Very tired of that hunched over gait!
 
Hello again @Jaycey,

I have not been given any weight bearing restrictions, in fact that has never been mentioned, but I can contact the OS about that if necessary. He said to walk as much as I could, and that he didn't feel I would over do it...ha ha, he doesn't know me that well yet!! I have just been putting more and more weight on it as it seems to tolerate it. What I got from the OS is that the new joint is great, it is all the scar tissues formation around the new joint that has to form (new joint capsule), and soft tissue trauma that has to heal, to give the joint the stability. I asked my OS what exactly was being moved around or cut through to access the joint, and he kindly pulled up some pictures and went through it with me. So yes, all that has to heal too. Although I don't know all the biomechanics, I have a much idea how how the hip joint is held together now. He said it takes roughly six weeks for the scar tissue to form around the new joint. I really now understand why he wants me to walk and not do PT until six weeks (or more depending what he says at my six week appointment) I am really answering my own question aren't I!

I worry about the stability of the joint with regard to doing any grooming. I would have to get my husband to get my big guy out onto the cross ties first. It would be better to do to after the boys have been out in the field for the day. In the heat of the summer they are slugs, but in the winter months, the wind gets under their tails and they can be wiggly. I think that it is way too much to consider for now. I have gone out for safe, over the stall door cuddles as that is emotional therapy, I agree. I can give the blankets a tug from over the door, to adjust them. My dogs are at the side of my recliner :)

At the moment I am so tired, I feel like slug! I really am doing so very little compared to what is my normal! I worry that I should be waking a bit more, to help with the uniform scar tissue formation around the joint, but I just can't. I'm eating really well and taking a multi-vitamin, a B complex, extra vit C, as well as some collagen. I'm eating proteins with each meal. I am seeing amazing gains with the weight bearing and mobility etc., so that must be where all my energy is going! I hardly use the single crutch for anything more as a guide, except for when I'm tired. All my blood work has been excellent pre-op, and OS didn't make any mention of me losing a lot of blood or any thoughts of needing a transfusion or anything like that. I came home the day after surgery. I have to go for another GP pre-op as I'm over the "within three months of op" time period from my last GP pre-op. If I'm lacking somewhere it will show up then I'm sure. I think it is because I over did it a bit last week with the walking, and just where I am with the healing. Patience. Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated :)
 
@Barbaraj It is the risk of falling that concerns me with you going completely solo. One never knows when that energy drain is going to hit, and there isn't much hubby can do to help you if you were to get dizzy. It just isn't worth the risk. Think of it in terms of how our children learned to walk. They cruised the furniture first, before dong those solo steps. Maybe cruise your kitchen counters or the like first. There is a HUGE difference between the walker and the other devises in terms of standing up straight. It is really important that you get some advice as to which one transition to, as per your healing. Don't you have your appointment soon? Read up on line on how to fit the crutches and cane to your body. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!
 
That all sounds good, @Alitm. Yes, 6 weeks, seems about right.

I'm going to get up and take my vitamins; I keep forgetting. I get tired too, but a different kind of tired from before the two surgeries.

I posted about my post-op appointment in my thread; all is good, though more recovery pain this time. I see you're going in for LTHR around the same time my OS wants to see me again. All good thoughts for the journey.
 
If you were not given any restrictions then please put full weight on the hip. Ease off if it's too much and use a walking aid. But that implant will take full weight from day 1 post op. Many of us had no restrictions.
I have gone out for safe, over the stall door cuddles as that is emotional therapy, I agree. I can give the blankets a tug from over the door, to adjust them.
Good! I found animals know if you are not feeling 100%. But I am sure they enjoy the attention.

The fatigue is energy drain. This will pass but for now rest as much as you can. All your energy is now focused on healing. No need to do anything other than rest. Boring - I know. But you had major surgery. Give that hip time to heal.

Early days my friend! You are doing great!
 
:console2:I promise to be careful @Alitm—I truly don’t have a death wish (!!) and these unassisted walks are fairly short and I am paying careful attention to how I’m feeling. Tomorrow my friends are dropping off the walking sticks and I am thinking these might be a good option. I am having no problem putting weight on my operated leg, it’s just balance that is the real concern, ensuring I put equal weight on both hips. As soon as it starts to feel a touch uneven, I stop. I was pretty strong pre-surgery so this is standing me in good stead now. But I promise to be careful and I am grateful that you care enough to remind me of this.
 
I think we're all different. Walking alongside kitchen counters is a good idea. Walking with an assistive device is probably the safest. Even carrying a cane if you don't want to use it so you have something should you suddenly feel wobbly.

My 81 yr old mother had her second hip replaced 6 months ago. She walked out of the hospital two days post op with only a cane and on day nine was walking unassisted. She said the walker got in her way! :heehee: This same woman also told the PA she'd chop off her legs before she'd wear the compression socks for the 6 more weeks he requested. Feisty old woman! I did NOT take after her, I most often follow rules. Afraid not to. Can't imagine why?!!

With that said, I'm not condoning her renegade behavior but it's a perfect example of how differently we each recover.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom