THR Cats land on their feet

Uh oh...not the naughty chair! Time out on the naughty chair in the ODIC is even worse. :groan:
Hopefully tomorrow is a better day. I know it will be. :wink:
@luvcats
 
Could you use DoorDash or similar program? Carry out might be an option. Good luck!
 
It still hasn't resolved completely, but things are better. I am actually shocked how badly my leg reacted to what didn't really feel like all that much extra. I still have trouble with a lot of throbbing ache when I sit down again after a trip to the bathroom and a walk through the house. It's all very deep. No signs of infection or anything.

I think since it was my primary leg for so long, I unconsciously use it more than I think I do. I do try very hard to be mindful. I've basically glued myself to my chair except for bathroom trips and getting my meals, but no actual cooking.

@Hippie Chick it was doordash I was trying to use. Because of the insane number of tourists during the car show, a lot of restaurants that usually participate were 'closed' on doordash. But today is the last day and food availability will go back to normal.
 
I think since it was my primary leg for so long, I unconsciously use it more than I think I do. I do try very hard to be mindful. I've basically glued myself to my chair except for bathroom trips and getting my meals, but no actual cooking.
That's probably the right approach. You are still very early days. As my surgeon likes to say, "The most important muscle to exercise at this stage of recovery is your Patience Muscle!" :wink:
 
Today is 2 weeks.

Monday as my follow up, and it did not go as cleanly as the first. My scar isn't as far along in healing, and there is one worrisome spot. I am taking picture of it every night after I shower, and I'm keeping a clean gauze against it so it stays dry and I can see exactly what discharge there is and how much. Tomorrow I'll see how I can send a picture to the doctor.
The surgeon did reiterate that this second surgery was much more difficult than the first, probably due to the over developed muscle on this side.

I did get my meds adjusted, and that has helped. But they weren't adjusted while I was traveling to and from the doctor, and that was fairly awful. I'm having a lot of very throbby pain at the connection sites where the new hardware meets the old leg.

At 2 weeks last time, I said we were officially friends. My left hip is being a bit more stand-off-ish. It may be another week.
A friend pointed out that I have strained my ability to heal by doing both so close. The knees were only 5 years ago, but those 5 years after 50 may make more of a difference than I expected.

Today I am out of sorts. I can't manage cooking. I don't like the way I feel on oxy but I can't manage without it.
Meh. And I mean that in the original Siamese, which is about as disdainful as it gets.
 
Last edited:
My first was more difficult than my second. Listen to what your OS is saying. Even well intentioned friends and family can say things that have the potential for derailing our optimism. Keep taking care of yourself. I took Advil last night and again this morning. It helped tremendously. Think of something fun or fun-ish to do. Both of my recoveries have reminded me that I need to practice better self care, slow down when my body needs it, and do more fun things. Have you started any more crafty projects?
 
I'm sorry it's been a rough few days (I believe Meh in Siamese = feh in Yiddish. One must have a disgusted nose wrinkled grimace or sneer when pronouncing it!).

You've got them old post op blues for sure. Anything you can muster up to distract yourself will help. Sending a ((hug)).
 
Just go at your own pace. I didn't care for oxy either, switched to Extra Strength Tylenol, but if oxy is getting you through the pain for right now then go with it.
All of this is temporary & you will begin to improve.
Rest & ice & let your body heal.
I'm sending hugs & good wishes.
 
Thanks for the upbeat encouragement.

@Hippie Chick
My first was more difficult than my second. Listen to what your OS is saying. Even well intentioned friends and family can say things that have the potential for derailing our optimism. Keep taking care of yourself. I took Advil last night and again this morning. It helped tremendously. Think of something fun or fun-ish to do. Both of my recoveries have reminded me that I need to practice better self care, slow down when my body needs it, and do more fun things. Have you started any more crafty projects?

Hmm. Yes, I think my friend unintentionally instilled some negativity on healing. She has a very different set of experiences around healing from joint replacement. Her THR surgery did not go as well as one might hope. It is harder for her to be optimistic.
I am doing my best with self care. I'm not very good at it, but I'm giving it my best shot. Care-taking is not beloved husband's best skill, and that is wearing on us both a bit.
I am working on an extended knitting project. A blanket for my sister. The stitch pattern is pretty simple so I can work while compromised. I've been having trouble finding the right sort of movies and shows to watch/listen to while I knit. My to-watch list is extensive, but I'm just not in the mood for my usual.

@mendogal
I'm sorry it's been a rough few days (I believe Meh in Siamese = feh in Yiddish. One must have a disgusted nose wrinkled grimace or sneer when pronouncing it!).

You've got them old post op blues for sure. Anything you can muster up to distract yourself will help. Sending a ((hug)).
Yes, I think Meh and Feh are equivalent. Which just goes to show some feelings are universal, since Meh isn't originally a human term. But who could express disinterest while also sneering better than a cat?

I had not thought in terms of this being post op depression, since it is more a fidgety dissatisfaction than sadness, but you are absolutely correct, that is what I have here. Knowing that should help me manage until it passes.

Just go at your own pace. I didn't care for oxy either, switched to Extra Strength Tylenol, but if oxy is getting you through the pain for right now then go with it.
All of this is temporary & you will begin to improve.
Rest & ice & let your body heal.
I'm sending hugs & good wishes.
I'm still in a significant amount of pain, which I really didn't expect. I take my tylenol. Tramadol extended release. One oxy in the morning when I first get up, and 2 before bed so showering doesn't leave me throbbing for 10 minutes when I get into bed. After my easy ride for the first recovery, the extended pain levels this go round are disheartening. Even though I have the meds I need and I know it's still a temporary problem, just 3-4 weeks instead of 2.


Thanks everyone for the hugs and support. It does help so much.
 
Sorry you're feeling down, luvcauts.

Is hubs able to get out and away from home often enough? I found it beneficial for my husband to take those breaks in the early days of recovery. I believe it helped us both refresh / recharge.

I wish you weren't in as much pain as you are currently. Hopefully it begins easing for you soon. :console2:
May today be a good one!
@luvcats
 
Turns out my worrisome spot is in fact worrisome. I sent pics to my surgeon this morning. I love being able to ask questions via secure mail. And also send pictures. He said he wants to see me back in the office tomorrow. I am just waiting on a time. It's under my belly fold, both difficult to see, and the skin is thin. But it does not have spreading redness, it does not hurt, and it isn't weeping much, so whatever it is, we'll be managing it in time to avoid unpleasantness.
 
Oh! I hope you're able to relax and get a good night's sleep. Let us know what he says!
 
For all my words of confidence during the day, now that it is bed time my brain is pulling overtime to fret about things that are possibly wrong for tomorrow's check of the open spot in my incision.
My temperature is fine. There is no messy discharge. There is no particular reason for my brain to have gone into panic mode. But brains don't really need a reason for that.
I hope I'll get some nice distracting sleep.
 
Hope you were able to get some sleep! The nice thing about this forum is that it is always open. I have researched things when I wasn’t able to sleep. Good luck at your appointment!
 
Back from the surgeon. Everything is fine.
He did much poking and pressing checking for possible infection. He snipped out the visible stitches since they were not doing their job. I'm to keep it gently clean and dry. Keep gauze over it.

I'm getting a round of antibiotics just on principle.

It's a relief.
I like my surgeon so much.
 
Woohoo...great news! Liking your surgeon is like the cherry on top. Not all can say that.
I hope you have a nice weekend, luvcauts!
@luvcats
 
Oh what a relief!!!!
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom