TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Wow @sibbi1123 - you are doing great after 5 months! My first knee feels pretty good. I will be getting measured tomorrow but I think I should be around 110 on that one. I still have stiffness and weird pain from it sometimes but I really do not think about it much. Now, I am still on meds for the second one so who knows how the first one would feel if I had no meds. :) Anyway, I sure hope I am doing as well as you are at 5 months. It sounds so awesome!

Thanks for keeping the jokes coming @Phil75070. How is the golf game going? Have you improved your score at all or are you at the stage where you pretty much play the same game no matter what. That is where my father-in-law is. No matter how much he plays or how he tweaks his drive or short game, he is generally within 3-4 strokes every game. It doesn't matter if it is a different day, time or weather condition he consistently shoots about the same. Now the man plays in the 70s or 80s so he does not need a lot of improvement, but I do find it interesting.

I just found out that my work's annual 9 hole best ball golf game is on September 20th. I have not decided if I will go or not. I will be expected to be there being one of the more senior people in the company and I planned the tournament every year until I stepped down when I took a management position a few years back (that I stepped down from as well favouring the sales aspect as opposed to the babysitting aspect of my role) so they like me being there to help with the overall organization of the day, etc. I just don't feel like taking up a day of my weekend when I am still a bit steamed about how they treated my absence. My hubby wants to go so we likely will but I ay still bow out. I can use my knee as an excuse for sure.

@dogwheels, £5195 raised at your charity function! That is awesome! How did you raise it other than the dinner. I imagine there was a cost for the dinner but outside of that did people just open their cheque books and start writing or did you have silent auctions or prizes to be bid on? Regardless of how you did it, you must be very proud! Happy to hear that you are done with physio. How do you feel about it? I will stop by your thread to hear more about how your daughter's appointments are going. Loved the joke! And the Caravan Demolition Derby sounds insane!

@Old Texan - thanks for adding more humour to my thread with the funny jokes - you seem to be inclined to tell the face-palm ones but I like any kind of joke so you are doing just fine!:cheers:

@patient 99 - sorry for not responding to your tags Carol. I was very frustrated with the forum and with my rehabilitation. They were both slow and I could only handle one at a time. :heehee: The site seems to be better so now I will focus on my rehab. I am getting a Cryocuff tomorrow so will see how that goes. If only to keep the swelling down so I can get more of a bend in my knee. I am trying to keep my spirits up but I find I am losing patience easily on many things - my kids, my work, my hubby all because I have lost patience with my knee. Not very fair to anyone involved and I know it is just a bit of a funk but I am not used to it so it bothers me. I am so used to being in control of everything (well except maybe my weight) so I do not react well when I have little control over the pain and the need to stay on meds that I do not want to be on. This too will pass...Sorry for the mini blubbering. How are you doing? :) I hope Diana @new knee in June is not still torturing you with her veggie jokes. :snork:

@Pumpkln, Chris you are one of the kindest people that I have had the pleasure of "knowing" through the forum. I will drop by your thread to see how you are progressing but I want to again say thank you for reaching out to me to be sure I am doing okay. It was a really sweet thing to do. :hugzz:

@tiredwife , @Wednesday, @DogLoverx3, @ironman60 and @H2OPoloMom - thanks so much for keeping in touch. I have to tell you I was humbled and a little embarrassed to have the number of hellos on my thread while I took my mini-sabbatical. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reach out to me. It really means a lot.

I will visit each of your threads in the next few days. I appreciate all of you and hope you are having a great week!
:flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle

Hi again!

Extension is always harder to get than bending. It can take quite a long time, but it's worth working at.

The suggestions I've copied below might help:
Extension

broken link removed: https://www.xcceleratedesign.com/samples/doctorsite/exercises.htm

1. When laying on the bed, press the back of your knee onto the mattress as hard as you can, maybe with a small pillow under the ankle. If necessary, gently use your hands to apply pressure




2. Whilst sitting on the settee, put your foot on a foot stool, weight on the heel only. Gravity will cause the knee to bend backwards a little. You can aid this by applying some weight to the knee, just below the joint.




3. Lie face down on the bed with your knee on the edge of the mattress. Gravity will help pull your leg down and increase your extension. Start with 5 minutes (less if that is too much) and work up to 15 minutes. Once you are able to do that several times a day, you can add weight to your ankles in 1-pound increments, going back to the shorter times at first until you build up to 15 minutes. You can use from 1-5 lbs. of weight.



They are also here in this library article:
Extension: exercises for improvement

Best wishes for going back to work - do try not to overdo it. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
so I do not react well when I have little control over the pain and the need to stay on meds that I do not want to be on.

Hi Lisa, so understand how you feel. We human very quickly establish expectations. Your first op went well so your expectation is that your second op will be the same. Its like being hit by a cricket bat when our expectations aren't met.

Where I am in my recovery has a lot to do with me coming to terms with things. Keep doing the exercises, apart from anything else it keeps your mind active. xx Carol
 
@71Beetle Thanks for coming back, you were missed! Sorry you are still having issues with your new knee, hope someone can come up with something that will help. Hubby overdid it in the hospital because he could lift the new knee, and now we are struggling to get the pain under control, can't seem to get it under a 4 yet. It was 5 and 6 the first few days home, we had an overnight guest that had hubby up when he should have been in bed, but we hadn't seen the guy in a long time. His thigh swells with this one. It had a 91 flex the second day in the hospital but is down to an 82 because of the swelling. His extension isn't too bad, went from a 14 in the hospital to a 6. I think if we can just control the pain this will be another easy recovery. We feel so blessed that he is doing good, and really feel for those who don't have it so easy. Sending up a prayer for you to get some relief. Have a great day.
 
@patient 99 He didn't do much because we were trying to control the pain, just pressing the knee down when ever he remembered throughout the day. Plus I think walking up and down the stairs helps because he has to put a lot of his weight on it to do them, this makes it straighten to keep from buckling. I think it was mostly luck.
 
@71Beetle ,
Celle already posted the extension exercises from the Library, just keep doing what you are doing, and extension will come.
 
So glad to see you back! We all get a little knee cranky from time to time. For me, the cranky comes out the longer that I'm "trapped" by my knee. I can only imagine how it must be having back to back replacements. The good news is that your family will likely forgive you in the end when they have their wife/mom back to full speed.

I haven't been golfing for more than 16 years. I'm not very good at it (probably because my awesome softball and tennis swings use up my swing quota). The last time I did go, the people I was golfing with got so stressed out that it wasn't fun-at all. Maybe someday I will try again, maybe not.

I hope your today is better than yesterday and your tomorrow is better than today (wash, rinse, REPEAT)!
 
@71Beetle I expect to shoot around the same score, plus or minus, when I play. I have been know to have extreme days, both ways.

A U. S. Navy destroyer stops four Mexicans in a row boat rowing towards California.
The Captain gets on the loud- hailer and shouts, "Ahoy, small craft. Where are you headed?"
One of the Mexicans puts down his oar, stands up, and shouts,
"We are invading the United States of America! to reclaim the territory taken by the USA during the 1800's."

The entire crew of the destroyer doubled-over in laughter.
When the Captain is finally able to catch his breath, he gets back on the loud-hailer and asks, "Just the four of you?"
The same Mexican stands up again and shouts,
"No, we're the last four. The rest are already there!"
 
Hi @Celle, sorry, I may have said extension. But I meant flexion. Any ideas for those? I really appreciate your response. I am happy to say my extension is between 0 and -5 depending on my swelling. :)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@71Beetle for flex my hubby would put the new knee foot up on a stair (sometimes 2 stairs) and holding on to the rail he leans into it bending the knee to discomfort not pain. He also stands at the kitchen counter and putting new knee forward and other leg out behind leans into the new knee bending it. If you put the new knee behind you can work on the extension that way.
 
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am doing a lot of different exercises to improve the bend but the issue seems to be the swelling. I was at 90 degrees today - have stayed the same for the last 3 weeks. On a good note my right knee was measured at 119 (though I pushed it hard to get there). Woo Hoo!

I purchased the Cryocuff so I hope that will make a difference - I have used it 3 times already today and the swelling seems to be down a bit.

@tiredwife - it seems like your hubby is experiencing the same issues I am. I have the swelling plus the ridiculously tight hamstring on the leg of the most recent operation and a clicking behind the knee. I have to work through the click and then I can bend just a bit more. Kind of weird.

Today was okay - worked; did physio; home for dinner and the regular comedy sessions with the boys; logged into work to complete some stuff (sure now I can work from home because it suits them... :) ); now off to bed.

It has been cool and rainy the past couple of days. I know...it's good for the grass and the gardens...but it is not good for my hair or the fact that we don't have a lot of summer left. So bring on the sun!!

Hope everyone has a great day/evening/night!
:flwrysmile:
 
Lisa,
Sounds like you need to get the swelling down, then ROM will come. I like heel slides best for flexion.
Have a great weekend!

I agree. The bend is probably there already , but is just prevented by the swelling.
You can do heel slides while sitting on a chair and trying to pull your foot under the chair.
(I also used to do it while sitting on the toilet. Our bathroom has squares on it and I would try to get my foot on one square further back each time. Who ever thought that going to the bathroom could be physiotherapy? :snork: )
 
@71Beetle Today his pain is from the knee itself and the area right above it were the muscle was cut. Can't seem to find a comfortable position. He could only hear a clicking a couple of times with the first knee, none with this knee, but the swelling has been tough and he elevates and ices all the time. It's frustrating that I can't do anything to help take the pain away. I'm sure your family feels the same way! Hope your cyrocuff helps you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
@71Beetle Joke of the day: What do you get when you cross and alligator with a flower? I don't know but I'm not going to smell it! Okay I know........groan!:groan: Have a good night anyway!
 
I just found out that my work's annual 9 hole best ball golf game is on September 20th. I have not decided if I will go or not. I will be expected to be there being one of the more senior people in the company and I planned the tournament every year until I stepped down when I took a management position a few years back (that I stepped down from as well favouring the sales aspect as opposed to the babysitting aspect of my role) so they like me being there to help with the overall organization of the day, etc. I just don't feel like taking up a day of my weekend when I am still a bit steamed about how they treated my absence. My hubby wants to go so we likely will but I may still bow out. I can use my knee as an excuse for sure.

For sure, use the knee as an excuse! It's a very valid excuse, too!

You have already done more than enough for the company, in going back to work much earlier than is recommended. For once, let them know that you also have to think of yourself and your own well-being. This is a situation where time invested in your own recovery will pay off in spades later.
 
You can do heel slides while sitting on a chair and trying to pull your foot under the chair.

This was the exercise I did most after surgery. What I didn't realise was that you use different muscles to pull your foot under the chair to those that you use when sitting up on the bed and bringing your foot towards you. As a consequence I can now get my foot quite a long way back, but sliding my foot towards me is a miserable performance. Do both Lisa.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom