TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
the exercise the physio has given me to stretch it I think may not be good for me TKRs
why, what are they?
She is giving me intensive massage to try to loosen the muscles and get some stretch back.
I'm not so sure that general massage would do. Much better you see a chiropractor and get some acupressure massage.
Are there many people left with this kind of muscle pain do you think?
Oh probably a lot more than the statistics show because this isn't really implant related.
I am finding now that I don't get replies to my posts as almost all my bonesmart friends have recovered and don't post anymore.
We're still here! We'll always be here, no matter who comes and goes! Just tag us.

I've probably asked you this before but here it is again!
Can you tell me the area of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Can lost ROM be regained


[Bonesmart.org] Can lost ROM be regained
 
@Josephine
why, what are they?

The exercise was to put each ankle in turn on the opposite knee, then press down on the other knee. I substituted this with one I found on Bonesmart.

The pain was initially DRF1 & DLF4 which was diagnosed as my IT band causing problems. The massage has helped this a lot, and it only troubles me intermittently, and nothing like as severely.
Now the pain is at DRF2 & DLF3, it is a burning sensation which gradually works a few inches down the inside of my legs. The Physiotherapist isn't at all sure what this can be caused by but thinks it could be inflamed tissue sticking together or to the bone. Does this make any sense to you?

I still get some pain in my shins after walking in cold weather, but this eases off once I get warm. My main problem is standing which is always painful after quite a short time. Is this always the case after TKRs and will it just ease off over time?
 
Now the pain is at DRF2 & DLF3, it is a burning sensation which gradually works a few inches down the inside of my legs. The Physiotherapist isn't at all sure what this can be caused by but thinks it could be inflamed tissue sticking together or to the bone. Does this make any sense to you? I still get some pain in my shins after walking
I think you have Shin splints, shin pain, compartment syndrome and my recommendation is that you see a chiropractor. Specially since the physio hasn't got a clue what it is! I've had this myself and chiropractic treatment was the answer!
 
@Josephine, many thanks for your advice. I found my local chiropractor and saw her twice. I was improving nicely I thought. However I had another of my newly returned epileptic absences while lying on the floor having a Pilates lesson. The Pilates teacher was found for me by my chiropractor, so news got back to her and just as we were about to leave the house for my third session she phoned and said she couldn't risk it anymore and in any case she didn't think it was doing me any good!!
I expected the Pilates teacher to say the same, but as she comes to our house and my husband is happy to stay in the room during the lesson, she is happy to come. It may help that she has suffered from epilepsy herself and knows the problems. I feel like a Pariah at the moment. However I went back to my Physio on Monday. She always asks about seizures, I told her I had had another, but she never commented and just carried on. It could be that she is in a hospital setting with a lot of backup.
I shall just have to read all of the link you sent me and try to help myself. I am banned from hydrotherapy and swimming, and not allowed to ride my bike. I am waiting for another appointment with my Neurologist at the beginning of March.
 
I'm curious - what did you think I was meaning when I suggested a chiropractor? The treatment for shin splints is nothing like Pilates! It's just manual acupressure onto the ligaments and muscles that are responsible for the pain. Did you read that article? I thought I'd explained it quite clearly.
 
@Josephine Yes I did read the article, and that is what she was doing. However she said all my muscles from the hip down had tightened up so much that they were rigid, she did some general massage and recommended Pilates which I did some years ago and really felt the benefit. However I can't now get any treatment from the chiropractor so will have to rely on Physiotherapy which I know you don't think is as good. Have you any other suggestions for treatment.
I have also lost quite a bit of flexion. I can feel the muscles are so tight they won't allow my knees to bend. I am still on paracetamol and Voltarol gel, but am in pain whenever I am upright. I am really frightened that this is going to go on forever.
 
I felt like massage and stretching really helped my tight muscles after tkr. I think it's worth it to continue with your physiotherapist for a while to see if she can continue to help. Just nothing too intense. And taking a day or two off is good too when something is particularly aggravated.
 
@kneeper Thanks for your reply. I have just come home from Physio. She said she is bewildered about why I am in so much pain. She has made me an appointment with a different Physio for next week for a second
opinion. In the meantime I am going to try to get some massage locally, although news of my epilepsy has spread round our small town, and the chiropractor will not now risk having me on her table! The chiropractor and the masseuse are good friends, so I hope she is braver. The Pilates Teacher has agreed to continue to teach me, as long as my husband is present, so hopefully that will also help.
Do you know what caused your tight muscles? How long did it take to loosen them, and how are you now?
 
Do you know what caused your tight muscles? How long did it take to loosen them, and how are you now?
I have no idea. Possibly years of the RA and lack of activity?

I didn't have a situation as long as yours--I'd say a few months. but I do find a little basic stretching everyday (around 5 minutes) to be helpful.

Have you tried mild heat on the muscles? Like a heating pad on low? Either before you stretch or just because?

Have you backed off of activity if that aggravates it?

I have found some massage therapists to be too aggressive--if you feel worse after a session your physio may be going too hard.
 
@Josephine I hope you are well and that your shoulder has healed well.

I have lost quite a lot of flexion in both knees through tight muscles. Is it possible to regain it or is it lost forever? I am no longer getting such painful muscles as I was, but feel as though I have a tight band from RLF1 & E LF4 down my legs by about 3 to 4 inches which seems to stop me bending.

It feels like the ones which you get under the knees after a TKR. I also get pain from ERF1 and ELF3 for about 2 inches downwards and occasionally upwards round my knees.

This area is also tight especially after standing for any length of time, and walking far downhill. Wherever the tightness/pain is in one leg it is the same in the other one. I am taking paracetamol 4 X day, full dosage. Is it worth taking at night, even if I am not usually in pain in bed? I think I have found another chiropractor, although I don't know yet whether he will treat people with epilepsy.
 
@kneeper i do stretches everyday and have started do Pilates once a week. If the pain seems worse I miss the stretching for a day. I had some treatment from an Osteopath twice as I hurt my back. At the last session I mentioned my legs and he massaged the area which was painful at the time, and that bit hasn't hurt since. Perhaps I will go back to him if the Chiropractor won't treat me. I do get very down, as this time last year my muscles were fine, and then at the end of May I got Shingles!!!
 
Jackie, I have not been pain free since my surgery 2 years ago. My knee does not hurt, but the areas above and below the knee hurt. My orthopedic surgeon just focuses on the bone and I think mine is soft tissue issues. I went to physical therapy twice in the past year. It wasn't until the end of my second round that the therapist started doing massage and that helped. So I just massage the area myself when I have pain. I bought a leg roller and that helps too.

I wanted to reply since you mentioned that no one is here from when you had surgery. We were in the same time frame and wanted you to know you are not alone. Hope you get some more relief soon.
 
Hi Jackie! I am still around:) Along with the hand massages (I am always doing) I use a regular rolling pin. If the Osteopath's treatment work....nothing to lose in going back.
 
@Josephine sorry about that, does DRF1 & DLF4. and ERF2 & ELF3 make any sense? I was never any good at Map reading either.
 
@Swish You're right about OS's just go using on bones. When I went back he X-rayed them again and said they were fine, and that the pain would gradually go. That is no comfort when it doesn't seem to though as you will well know. I use Volterol gel and paracetamol but I can't say it makes much difference. My pain is n the sides of the knees, not above and below, so not as easy to massage I find. I will let you know how I progress.
 
@Josephine Yes those are about the spots where it starts, but they spread downwards by about 3 inches. The inside pains very occasionally spread along the inner sides of my shins.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom