TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the Ibuprofen gel makes skin peel off my hands no matter how quickly I wash them after applying it.
Please quit all Ibuprofen and let your doctor know about this ASAP, it could be nothing or (while unlikely) it could be part of a rare but possibly serious reaction.
I am going to tag @Josephine for you about the Ibuprofen.
 
@Pumpkln I don't think it is a rare side effect, as it happened my husband when he used it last year. I have a Doctor's appointment coming up so I will definitely mention it to him and get back to you. I will also ask my Mother as she has been using it for years.
 
Just realised that I haven't posted for a month.
Unfortunately things are not any better. I saw my OS just over 2 weeks ago, as I am still having pain around both knees. He told me to remove the orthotics from my shoes, stop the hydrotherapy, exercises and swimming and just do normal day to day activities while taking paracetamol, using Voltarol gel and icing. The bonesmart approach I suppose. He said that he thought the massage should be carried on with for another few weeks. Things have gone reasonably OK until today when I had to walk back from Church in an icy wind, after which my leg muscles have hurt like mad all day and I have had shin pain for the first time in ages. Is anyone else out there still having muscle type problems after all this time? @Josephine, how long do you think I should go without orthotics before I try them again, and have you any more advice for me?
 
@Majic Jackie, I went back and read a few month worth of your thread. Sorry you're still having pain and have so many additional issues to complicate things.

My TKR was 2 weeks before your right TKR. I Still am not pain free. All X-rays showed the surgery to be fine. The OS doesn't focus on the soft tissue pain. In the past six months I've had almost 4 months of physical therapy. I'm still going through my second round, and I believe I am finally getting relief. My therapist started deep tissue massage around the knee and was rolling my IT band. When she started a few weeks ago, the massage was very painful. Now I have very little pain during the massage, and she says she is using a lot more pressure than when she first started. I believe she's finally located the source of my pain and is helping diminish it.

I hope things get better for you. I haven't been on this site in a while, but will check back in on you soon.
 
Hi there, Jackie. Good to see you again. Sad to see that you are still having problems.

To be honest, I was never very keen on the thought of you using orthotics but then, it's not my speciality so I never said anything. But your walk in icy wind could have given you Shin splints. Having had these myself, I know all too well how painful they can be. I had my chiropractor deal with it and it's been fine. Don't know if you're in a position to see a chiropractor but they are well worth the expenditure.
 
Thanks @Josephine, I had a walk again this morning, and although it is cold, it is very sunny and I wore fleecy lined trousers so all seems OK at the moment. If the shin splints become a problem I will definitely see a chiropractor. Another problem I have now got is that the treatment for Osteoporosis has made my Epilepsy much worse and I keep passing out. Last night I fell and have a badly bruised back which kept me awake a lot in the night. We also lost our beloved dog (pictured) last Monday, we had to have him put to sleep as he had doggy dementia. It was inevitable but very upsetting.
 
I'm very sorry about the loss of your dog. It's like the lost of a family member.
Make sure your doctor knows what is going on with you as there are different medication combinations that might work better for you so that you don't fall. it's nice to get out for a walk in the brisk air. It's below freezing where I am and it's very refreshing.
 
Oh Jackie - what a spell of unhappiness. My condolences for the loss of your wee doggie and shame about the fall. Dear me, you have had a time, haven't you?
 
Can anyone give me some stretches for my ITBand, I am having a lot of massage on it, but the exercise the physio has given me to stretch it I think may not be good for me TKRs.
 
Many of us had IT Band issues---the stretches and ice massage can slowly take care of it---but the IT Band is a pesky band that can take some time to go away.
 
Happy New Year to you all and he's to a good recovery in 2017.
Here is my up to date situation.
I have tried 3 months without orthotics and if anything my muscle pains are worse. Yesterday I put them back in my shoes and I shall have to see what happens now. I went back to the Physio department at the hospital where I had my ops, she diagnosed very tight IT bands and quads, and also patella tendon problems. I had also lost about 10degrees flexion in both knees. All in all I have gone backwards in the last three months.
I am now doing lots of the stretching exercises and the flexion is coming back. She is giving me intensive massage to try to loosen the muscles and get some stretch back.
I think the hydrotherapy was helping a lot, but I don't think they would let me do it now as my black-outs are continuing although they are getting less frequent. My neurologist also insists that I don't swim or ride my bicycle at the moment, so I am very limited as to excercise I can get other than walking which can be painful.
I know from reading other people's threads that most people are getting on much better than I am so I am rather despondent about my situation but feel I am doing all I can and will just have to continue being patient.
 
I have tried 3 months without orthotics and if anything my muscle pains are worse. Yesterday I put them back in my shoes and I shall have to see what happens now.
It could well be that the orthotics you used before surgery are not not right for your new gait. You will be walking differently, so I think you will need new orthotics - just as people often need new shoes after a TKR..
 
@Celle Thanks for the reply. The orthotics were made for me after the TKRs, but when I told my OS, he looked at the way I stand and told me not to use them, but to let my own muscles learn to support me. I am not using them at the moment, my pain is not bad now, but I am very, very stiff and my muscles are still very tight and as the day goes on they start to burn unpleasantly. My Physio is giving me a lot of massage, but now the weather has turned cold they seem more painful. One knee is over 2years old and the other 17 months, and I find it hard now to believe that I will ever get any better. Are there many people left with this kind of muscle pain do you think? I am finding now that I don't get replies to my posts as almost all my bonesmart friends have recovered and don't post anymore.
 
I'm not sure of the statistics about people whose knees seem to still cause problems. I know there are a few.
Don't give up, though.

Why don't we ask Josephine for her opinion and advice?

@Josephine, do you have any suggestions for Majic? She has summarised her problems in the last few of her posts, above - Posts #429, 432 and 434.
 
@Celle Many thanks for your reply. I don't think the problem is my knees, my left one was OK when I had the right done. Then I lost an awful lot of weight and was ill for several months and my muscles started to hurt. Massage got them almost back to normal, then I had shingles and everything started to hurt again. Hydrotherapy helped a lot, but since my epilepsy got worse I can't have that anymore and I seem to be stiffening up again. Walking more than about a mile is painful but is the only exercise I can now do. I don't really know what to next.
 
I remember your early recovery and the infections you had. As well as the energy drain from surgery, you had to contend with the drain from fighting infection. You've had a rough time. :console2:
Even though some of your recovery buddies have moved on, we're still here for you.
 
Hi Jackie! I am sorry your recovery has been so long with the added problems. Although I have had different problems I can understand the frustrations with an extra long recovery. I know you mentioned your Neurologist didn't want you on a bike...how about one of those low seated recumbent exercise bikes? I picked up mine at a second hand sporting goods store for $80.00. This style has worked out for me because I am seated so low to the ground that I can prop my splinted leg out of the way and still work my right leg/knee. It works great for slowly stretching out and warming up the leg. You can gradually work on the bend.
 
Hi Jackie, I'm not here much anymore but I do stop by occasionally. I'm sorry to see that you are still having trouble. I hope you feel better soon. Just a thought- have you asked your doctor or pharmacist to triple-check your medications for possible side effects and interactions?
 
@PegGar16 You have certainly had your share of problems, so thanks for replying to my post. I have a static bike which I use at home, but I was a regular cyclist as I am not allowed to drive because of epilepsy, so I can't go far now. I really miss my bike. My husband has even covered it with an old sheet, which is sad. I just hope I will get back on it some day.

@Clipless. A good thought, but all my epilepsy drugs are prescribed by my Consultant who I have been seeing for about 30 years, and haven't been changed for about 20. The upset in what was controlled epilepsy seemed to be when I was given Alendronic Acid for Osteoporosis. My Doctor checked it for contraindications but none were listed. I was just unlucky I think. It seemed to affect the absorption of my other tablets, leaving me open to more and worse seizures. I no longer take it, and am waiting to see about having injections instead. Thanks for your concern.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom