Calling all April replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also wondering about a bath. It sounds SO good. I really don't have anyone to help if it doesn't work out so well. @Tamsmom I am not sure why I said I couldn't ice enough. I think it was before I changed positions and got pressure off my sciatic nerve. I ice ALL the time. I wish I could get SOME cardio in. That's why I did this surgery is to get out and MOVE. Sorry about the vent. I wish I could be a person on here with more "victories". I have other stressful events in my life, so I think it affects my recovery. My incision looks very good. I am going to a chiropractor for the sciatica. It helps. Again, when I hear the stories of OS pushing for a ROM so early I cringe. I see my OS on the 19th and I am worried about this whole ROM thing. I don't even know my numbers. My PT doesn't obsess about it. Should I be asking her to measure? I do my gentle exercises and I am not pushing it at all. I ice and ice and ice. I carry my little ice bag everywhere I go. (which I don't go much.) Thanks for listening. I am so down. These meds do a number on emotions, don't they? I have decreased dosages and the emotions still run high.
 
I talked (finally) to my PCP reg bath. As long as the incisions are healed and closed, the only thing to watch for in BP dropping as the warm water will tend to widen capillaries and possibly Making you "dizzy."

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@hopefaith ,
The link will take you to a page that shows what happens when you have inadequate pain relief. It is always a balancing act for everyone, finding what dose and medications work best for you. As for the up and down emotions, it is a fact of life after a replacement for most.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/

For a bath, do a dry run in the tub with your clothes on, no water. If you have trouble in and out, then it is too soon. Be sure someone is around to help if you get stuck.
 
Getting in will probably be no problem. Getting out is another story. :heehee:
Totally what happened to me! I am sure it is a visual my husband won't quickly forget!

My 6 week check with my OS was yesterday, a few days early. He took x-rays, admired his work and told me to live my life! I guess I am happy, but I really did think there would be more substance to the appointment.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
HopeFaith, it's ok that you don't have a bunch of victories to share....yet!

Your story will one day inspire someone else, keep your hope and lean on your faith!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom that pretty well describes my 6 week check up other than him measuring my ROM and telling me I need to work on my extension. Doubt it lasted more than 10 minutes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The knee seems very aching today, I think it might be weather related....tornados and thunderstorms in the area tonight. Any one else feel like they can't predict the weather with tier replacements?

I feel like I am so itchy to get back to my normal life but on the other hand trying to get back to somewhat of a routine scares me to death and is overwhelming. I have some requirements with my career that I have to try and work part-time, and it freaks me out because it has always been a 50-60 a week career and I dint know how to cut it back to help me continue to heal but keep my career....need to pay for this new knee!

Suggestions, empathy, anything would help tonight.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
When the barometer drops, my knee lets me know, there is a storm on the way. Yesterday heavy winds and snow were hard on my knee.
Hard to think about going back to work, when you are in no shape to return. In a few months I am sure we will feel differently.
 
@Tamsmom . I sure think I know what you mean. I want to get out and get a part time nursing job and here I sit with ice on my knee . I am very scared to become independent again and afraid of NOT becoming independent again!! I have so much anxiety because my relationship looks like it is ending. I can't imagine what this'll mean in the months ahead. So I get how you feel. It's funny because my knee has been SO uncomfortable this weekend and we have had a big snow storm, so I would have to say I am very sensitive to pressures. Vert achy. I have felt I have taken A few steps backward. It is discouraging but hang in and realize you WILl be able to become independent. It just isn't fast!
 
@hopefaith
It's early days yet for you. Keep taking the pain meds, because stiffness is one way you feel pain.

As for being ready to go out into the world of work again - you'll be ready when the time is right. Don't worry about it yet. Good things take time! :flwrysmile:
 
Totally what happened to me! I am sure it is a visual my husband won't quickly forget!

My 6 week check with my OS was yesterday, a few days early. He took x-rays, admired his work and told me to live my life! I guess I am happy, but I really did think there would be more substance to the appointment.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
On my six-week checkup I almost missed seeing my OS. The PA came in, checked my flexion, straightening and walk, and gave me instructions for medication, and travel. Then he said I should come in next year. Whoa! Then he said that he thought the OS might still be in, and he wanted to show him how well I had progressed. So I actually got to see him for a minute. I guess after the surgery is over, their interest wanes.
 
Wow I'm in my bad typer on this iPad! Thanks to everyone who reads between the lines and the typos!

Hopefaith where are you located at? My son had snow in Boulder yesterday and I know western Nebraska has had a lot of snow! For this time of year!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes @hopefaith my knee is always stiff...

@Celle, my job is pretty sedentary but I have to make a certain amount of sales in a month to keep my contract going maybe I should have asked for a note from my doctor... I am just going to do what I can do and not stress about it, which is rather funny because April I said that and then stressed the last week get the accounts I needed.

There is just not of this that is easy is there?





Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom I live in Westminster CO. about 10 miles east of Boulder. (Boulder is where I grew up) It is still snowing buckets. :snow dig::snow plough: (I just got an IPad and for some reason I am struggling with it too, not used to not having a keyboard.)
 
I am amazed at the OS lack of involvement after the surgery. I saw him once, did not see him at my first post op visit. I never reach him by phone when I have needed instruction. Rather he never is the one to get back to me. The Post Op. care (lack there of) has really been sad to me. I never would have guessed his lack of connection after the initial surgery. Call me naïve. I have another visit 5.19. I'd rather not see him if his "involvement" involves pushing or pulling anything I would call my right leg.
 
When my surgeon came in to my hospital room the next day I didn't know who he was! I had only met him one other time for a few minutes several months earlier. I was at a teaching hospital so I had had numerous people in my room and of course drugged up I don't think I stroke his ego very well that day.

Hopefaith, My son teaches at the University of Colorado and is in a doctorate program there, and my daughter-in-law works at the hospital in Aurora Colorado. He sent a picture of snow and he is not too excited about it! But in May who is?

What a small world we all live in, I connected with a girl who is having surgery tomorrow that actually lives about 20 miles from me! I hope to visit her when she gets home.

I'm trying so hard to get to my office and the finding every reason not to go. I'm cold it's cold when you live with an ice pack on yourself you're always cold!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom