Guest viewing is limited

Calling all April replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget about the hospital. Take your meds to control your pain. My sister requires more pain meds than I do. People are just different. If you need them take them..Now is just not the time to cut back. Hope you have a wonderful day..
 
I totally understand. During my first two weeks I often spent a lot of nights crying because I could not get in a position that would relieve the aches and pains. Tylenol seems to do nothing for me, and I wonder sometimes why I even bother taking the darn pills. The prescription medication didn't seem to work either, but they did provide a lot of unwanted side effects like nausea, constipation, and a general feeling of malaise.

I'm beginning to think that I'm immune to pain killers. :chinstroke: The good thing is that the pain does decrease. I had bilateral tkr ten days before you and am totally off prescription meds. I am certainly nowhere near pain-free but the pain is more of an ache and the burning just tells me that my nerves are trying to heal. So it does get better.

I hate to tell you to be patient because it's awfully hard when you are suffering, but you are only two and a half weeks out. Talk to your regular doctor. He may have a suggestion. I find that my PT knows:whistle: very little about medicine.
 
I should add that at this stage I, too, regret having this surgery done. I'm willing to bet, though, that in a month or two we will both be thrilled with our new knees. :yes!:
 
Surgery was april 1 and was in pain for about 10 days. now no pain and no med,s. some swelling even though i ice 2 or 3 times a day. I am able to drive (no clutch corvette) and walk about 1/2 mile It gets better each day still trying to get more ROM.
 
@hopefaith if you post your pain relief problem on your own thread, Josephine may be able to give you some advice.
 
Just last night I switched to 2 percocet tabs twice during the night instead of one and slept well. During rehab and the hospital I rejected the 2 offered as I was OK, but nurses and aides were always refilling the ice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Red corvette, 1/2 mile! Wow! Good work! Right behind you, buddy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
RTKR on April 17. Spent two days in hospital, then sent home. Stayed on a steady pain meds schedule the first week, then decreased to as needed, which is most at bedtime to allow me to sleep for a while. Not waking up in major pain, more of a discomfort. Usually take another pain pill (Norco) when that happens. PT is very impressed with ROM (-2 to 115). Things are going pretty good. Get staples out Thursday and hopefully released to drive and start back swimming. No regrets yet.
 
I have hope and faith that I will not feel this way forever. Feelings come and go.
 
Fire guy! I want your numbers....I was glad that my numbers were 98 and 4 yesterday...I progressed from the Friday before. They did some weird manipulation yesterday on my scar...something the PT had just gone to a training over the weekend. It was this strange flat metal tool called a GT3?, I think. It was uncomfortable, not really hurt but I don't really look forward to it the next appointment.

4 weeks today! Can't really say I am thrilled I did this yet! I am told that feeling comes at about 3 months out...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
This site is a challenge for me to navigate. It seems like there are a lot of people who have known each other for awhile. There seems to be a real social network here and then there is the group of people who are asking a lot of questions about TKR and are looking for support in that journey. Am I missing something? It kind of feels lonely trying to "break in." Not trying to be critical, just honest feelings.
 
Am I missing something? It kind of feels lonely trying to "break in." Not trying to be critical, just honest feelings.
Sorry you are feeling this way, looking at your post op thread you have 22 replies, and 353 views. As for joining the social networks that seem to be here, just jump in and post on those threads if you want to join.
Posting on other threads and providing a few kind words will help you get to know other members.
Hope that helps you get to know a few members who are having similar problems, to provide support and cheerleading for each other.
All the best in your recovery, I see you are 5 days ahead of me,
 
I'm a newbie too. I so wish I had found this forum before surgery, but better late than never. Everyone is really nice and helpful here. Based on some very sound advice here, I'm back on prescription meds at night. Hang in there.
 
Hi all April tkrs,
I am 20 days post LTKR. and doing ok, I have good days, better days and less BAD days.if that mkes sense.
Tomorrow is my first PT appointment, this is because they did not let me know I should have been there sooner,not sure how I feel about it. I know I won't allow anyone to push me to the point of pain. I expect a little discomfort.
Some bad news today, I am beeing made redundant in 2 months time, not good timing!!!!!!!
Thought about crying but the pain has not made me cry yet!
Got up 8.30 am had breakfast,went back up stairs ,stripped and remade the bed,had a shower dressed and came back downstairs and iced my knee ,bliss.:roseshwr:
Tomorrow is anotheray,take one day at a time .
Best wishes everyone.
Anne:loveshwr:
 
I had my TKR on April 3rd. Started PT the following week. I'm currently able to go UP stairs with little problem. Coming DOWN is still a challenge, to say the least! I still sleep on my back, can't seem to manage the side, even with a pillow between the legs, and that's a real shame, because the side is my preferred sleep position. Now, lets talk about pain med. I tried cutting back a week ago. NOT a good decision on my part. My surgeon prescribed 1-2 7.5mg Percocets every 4-6 hours, not to exceed 12 a day. Well, trying to "stay ahead of the pain", I was taking 2 every 4 hours, even setting the alarm at night to wake up and take them. My previous script was for 100 pills. Taking them like that, they ran out in about 8 days! This concerned me. I went to my regular Dr., and he decided that I needed 5mg, taken 1 per 8 hours. HUH??? Needless to say, I didn't fill his script, as my surgeon had sent me another script same as before. I want to cut back, but don't want to sabotage myself. Other than that (ha!), I think I'm doing well enough. My flexion has gotten up to about 95-100 on good days.
 
Going down stairs is always harder than going up them. Some people take up to 4 months before they can go down the stairs one foot at a time.

If you think about it, when you go down the stairs, you are effectively doing a mini-squat on one leg, with all your body weight on that leg, and trying to maintain your balance at the same time. Hard on the leg, yes? It will come, in time.
 
Thanks Celle, I never thought of it that way! When I used to run I know running down hill was hard on my quads!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dark knighted, I totally understand the pain med situation. I cut back about 10 days after surgery to half of what I was given but I can't get it down any farther...I melted down today because I waited too long between pain pills. It was awful for about an hour until I got my leg up ice painkilling me and the little nap now I almost feel human.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom