TKR Call me Frankenstein

Thank you for those dates, I’ve updated your signature.

It could be very helpful to still ice and elevate at this point, and try to keep your activity low, if you can, so you can heal more. Try not to look at it as sitting around doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal.
 
By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovry thread, to keep your history all in one place. :flwrysmile:
 
I guess it appears no one has any answers for this problem. I was hoping there was at least one person that has gone through this and got relief. The thought of spending years, if not the rest of life like this is terribly depressing.
 
Hi @caroos21 (and @Mary14),

I have periodically had this same tightness, too, from time to time (but initially for a long time immediately post-surgery) on each of my new knees, for a few years, it seems. The correlation I've been able to make is activity-based: too much hill-climbing, or speed walking, or other strenuous activity...or semi-strenuous activity... seems to trigger it and it can be a day later before the feeling really hits hard. I just have learned to back off the activity the next day, or try to, and give my knees a bit more rest. The most recent time was when I was at the beach and walked long distances along the headlands with my pup...who has unlimited energy! On day 3. I actually didn't take a walk, (although he thought it mean of me!) I then use ice, sit with my feet up on the recliner, etc. It usually passes in a day or so. My newer knee takes a bit longer to get over overactivity, and it joins the ODIC* more readily than old new knee does. (*Over Did It Club)
 
I've had plenty of what you're describing. Some of it is just the way it is. The new knee is not a native knee and will never feel like one.

One thing that helps me is to do quad sets and also quad strengthening. The former stimulates the nerve impulses between the quad and the knee. I strengthen my quads by doing straight leg lifts with ankle weights.

I always have somewhat of an effusion (extra fluid in the joint) which is just the way I respond to having artificial components. I find that if the tight band feeling is bothersome, by wearing a compression sleeve I don't notice it.
 
@Mary14 I moved your recent post, and the replies from @BBCG and @maryo52 from an older thread to your recovery thread. It had been 3 years since anyone had posted on that older thread, so it’s best to have this discussion on your thread.
 
@Mary14....try to remember that recovery for joint replacement surgery can easily be a full year to get all the kinks worked out. Some people require even more time, so please don't give up. The MUA will set that knee back a bit in recovery as well, so realistically you should probably count both knees as starting the recovery process at the same time in October.

Your first priority is to relieve the pain. As Jockette mentioned, that is likely the bursae that is causing that. You may also have some IT band issues that is causing the feelings you're having on the outside of your legs. When you see your surgeon again, ask to see if he would prescribe some therapy for you.

I'm happy to hear that you have good range of motion to both knees. That's usually the biggest hurdle to overcome. The stairs are always challenging for a while, especially if a person needs to rebuild strength in your leg muscles, which you probably do. Therapy can help with that as well. Just be sure that you are never exercising or doing activities that result in pain while doing them or in the 24 hours afterwards. That is counter-productive to your recovery and will keep your knees inflamed.

I wouldn't be surprised for a therapist to discover that the stiff legged walking is a gait issue and it can also be helped with specialized gait therapy. You might consider trying the OneStep app that we offer here on BoneSmart (you should see a link either to the side or at the bottom of your screen or use the link I provided to learn more about it. If you want to try OneStep, register from the linked page and you can get a 2-week free trial and a 15% discount for up to 6 months on the program by using the promo code you'll be given when you register.

It isn't unusual for people to have to "relearn" proper gait after joint replacement surgery, so don't think this is something that you'll be stuck with forever. It took a long time for your knees to get as bad as they were and recovery can be lengthy as well.

We're here to support you and answer any questions you may have. Please don't hesitate to post if you have a concern.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom