THR Butterfly Flutters Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
nmscienceteacher Thanks! It feels so good to have both surgeries behind me. I seem to have forgotten how to type, though.

Peace and love to you, and thank you for al your support ad kind thoughts.
 
Happy happy joy joy. Glad you're home an the surgery is behind you. Take care.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
Butterfly, Congratulations on hip #2. Rest, ice, elevate. Take care of yourself.
Annie
 
Hey Butterfly. Just stopping by to say hi and hope youre continuing to do well. Sounds like it. I'm gonna get that pillow, too. Was just thinking: isn't it nice not to have to dread another surgery??!! Wrap yourself in a hug from me.

Btw... What's the story' with shoes after surgery? Socks only? Sneakers? Barefoot? Low-heeled espadrilles or pumps? Platform stilettos??? Hahaha... Just a little shoe humor. No, seriously. ?
 
shrinkette It is WONDERFUL not to have to dread another surgery! No matter how OK you are with it, I think it's impossible not to dread it.

That pillow helps a lot. It elevates enough and is shaped for your legs. I was just tired of the pillows falling all over the place and not being able to bend to get them, etc. I never got the knack of stacking them up so they'd stay stacked. And since I did have swelling issues last time, I knew I'd have to elevate this time or go thru it all again.

Shoes -- I don't really know. Mostly I'm a sneaker person in recent years. I've been wearing new sneakers or just socks since I came home this time. After the first one I was wearing one sneaker and one sock, because of the leg length difference. I do think he made it a lot better this time, but I'm not sure yet if it is exactly even. He said it would do a bit of "settling" so I don't know how long it will be until I'm sure where I'm at with the leg length. But I can wear two sneakers now without my lifts and put both feet flat on the floor without my left leg being bent. I still have to figure out arch supports, but that is pretty much small stuff and I have a great podiatrist I'll go to for that later on down the road.

Mostly now I am just resting in my recliner with my big pillow on the footrest. I'm hoping I don't get so antsy during this second post-op time -- at least I know I am REALLY headed down the home stretch now. I am feeling pretty good, but very tired, probably at least partly because my blood count is still low.

Hang in there and don't lose hope. You'll get there soon and feel so much better and get back to being your old self.

Peace and love to you.
 
Roofmaster Yes, I am resting. No trick or treating for me this time. I am actually feeling pretty good today. Got the post op pain, of course, but not too bad. My first hip is letting me know it's there, too, today. Guess it is from different weight bearing or something, even with the walker. Did your first hip bug a little after the second hip was just done? Can't wait to lose the walker, but OS says I am stuck with it for four weeks.

I will probably be pestering you to death with questions for a while, because you had your done just about the same amount of time apart as I did.

Thanks for all your patience and help.

Peace and love to you.
 
cornishhedge Sorry you could't find my thread -- I get lost on here, too. This is my official recovery thread for the second hip, so you can always come here. Or you can search for Butterfly in the search box.

I am so sorry to hear your mother has been ill. I know that puts more stress on you, and more struggling up the stairs. I hope she gets to feeling better, soon.

The surgery is not so bad -- after all, you are asleep during it and do not know a thing until you wake up in recovery. I had a spinal both times and it was fine -- no pain from the getting of the spinal, and they give you stuff in your IV to really zonk you out so you don't know a thing. I liked my anesthesiologist again this time -- a different guy than before, but he was very nice. Came in and talked to me in pre-op and made sure I was comfortable with everything going on and answered questions. I felt quite safe with him managing my anesthesia.

I had to wait a while in pre-op this time because they had to give me some fancy IV antibiotics because my pre-op swab for MRSA came up positive. Doc said not to worry, they just give you antibiotics.

Anyway I was over before I knew it and I woke up and they took me to my room. The only thing weird in post op was that I woke up VERY cold and shivering. They reassured me that this happens a lot and was nothing to worry about, and they got me some warmed-up blankets. Great pain control all around, and the nurses and techs were very concerned and attentive. They kept my pain down to almost zero. PT came around and we walked a bit and then on Thursday we did it again and I got to come home. I had to stay an extra day this time because my blood counts were so low and so was my blood pressure.

So here I am at home. I slept most of today with my legs elevated to counteract any swelling. I have good pain control here at home, too. The one thing that bugs is that the dressing itches like mad, and causes the whole area around it to itch. This happened last time, too, and it stops when you take off the dressing. I take off the dressing next Monday.

I have some surgical pain, but manage it with the meds they sent home with me. I slept past one time I was supposed to take a pain med, so it hurt when I woke up, but I took a pill and it was fine.

I really can't stress enough that the surgery/hospital stay/recovery is nowhere NEAR what I had imagined before the surgery. I thought it would be awful and unbearable, but it was quite manageable and no awful pain, and once I was actually in pre-op, the fear subsided. The pain I had before the surgeries was a hundred zillion times worse than anything involved with the surgeries themselves, and the bone on bone pain is GONE! You will be thoroughly delighted with the loss of that pain, and they'll give you pain meds to manage the post-surgical pain.

If the Queen of Chickenhearts (me) can get through this, you can, too, and you will be SO goad you did it for yourself!

Please stay in touch.

Peace and love to you.

Milli
 
Butterfly, you're sounding great. Both surgeries done...you're on your way now. The prevailing wisdom about leg length differentials and giving it all time to settle is to give it a good four to six months. So you have lots of time now to just focus on recovery and healing. You already know that there are lots of random aches and pains that will occur and they are all usually pretty normal. Six months from now, I hope you are walking pain-free with a normal gait and no thought at all about leg length. :)

Sharon
 
Hi, Butterfly!!! So happy to see you posting again. You sound so great and impressively coherent as well.
Boy, I can't tell you how much I share you jubilation and relief at HAVING BOTH HIPS FIXED!! Just think how far you have come. Now it is all Recovery Road and no more Preparing for Surgery (or worrying about it). It's done!
And you found a chair that's reasonably comfy! THAT is a huge achievement. I could not find anywhere to sit that was decent as well as something decent for propping up the cement leg. When you are able to, I would love to hear more about that magic chair. I'm glad you have some fellow BoneSmart mates who have just had both their hips down at close to the same time frame so they can help you figure some things out. Again, I'm just thrilled to death to see you back in the saddle and on the forum and doing so well. Take care!!!
 
Vetgirl Yes -- I would be very interested to know what you are doing on your program. I've pretty much decided to forego the outpatient PT. Most everybody (except PTs) says you don't really need it and it will get expensive for me with the co-pays and also I'd have the hassle of getting rides to and from. I can't keep asking my DIL to take off work forever to haul me places. And the expense is a real concern for me -- even tho I have very good insurance, co-pays and prescriptions and the "stuff" you have to buy (like the shower chair, walker, etc.) and giving my DIL money for gas to go back and forth, etc. and who knows what all other $$ I've spent on the whole hip thing, it has gotten kind of expensive. I am on Social Security and a small annuity, so it is a concern for me.

So please do send me your "program." I am going to talk to my OS about the out-patient therapy, but I think he will say it is not all that important since this is hips, not knees.

My dog Emily is doing much better. The stuff my vet prescribed has done a great job. She said it was something quite new. With Emily it isn't just hot spots, but she has multiple allergies and once her skin gets riled up it is VERY hard to get it settled down and she gets secondary staph infections and it gets very bad and widespread. She is on special food and maintenance meds and when it gets very bad we have to add prednisolone to try to settle it down. I don't like using the steroids for her, but it is the sort of court of last resort for her, and I can't bear to have her suffering. She is an old girl and very sweet, and at least the pred helps her to have a life.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well. I'm doing OK, a bit more pain than the first hip, but it is manageable. Can't wait to get rid of t he walker and be able to go out and do things!

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi Butterfly yes my right bothered me a bit more after 2nd surgery.First off it was now the sole provider of most of the weight bearing,especially up and down stairs.But even menial tasks like standing in the morning,standing at the sink to brush my teeth and wash doing dishes,the 1st hip suddenly has a new role.Strong hip.Plus you just had surgery again in your pelvic region so theres like this pain transfer across the aisle.Then theres the jealous hip syndrome where you paid all your attention to the 1st hip recovery now its taking the back seat to your newest hip.Thankfully it doesnt last lomg and your 1st hip will start getting stronger quicker with the extra work your expecting from it.I also had pains in the second surgery I didnt have in the 1st,especially down the front of the thigh.Swelling was also worse.So expect the unexpected.You were right when you said they are both theyre own surgeries and should be treated expectadly.Dont compare the 2.They will be differant.Peace.
 
Oh and theres no pestering me.I'm honored to be able to contribute to your peace of mind.We're in this together.Peace and Love Milli.
 
Curious... We haven't heard from Flowergirl. I know she said she wasn't going to post from the hospital... perhaps she's still there? Hope she's doing ok.

Out to dinner with good friends for Italian food tonight. Hope to get/hobble to the movies tomorrow. Have an appt with GP for routine check tomorrow during which I will inform him of my surgery plans. I was such a labor-intensive patient while in in-patient knee rehab with dropping hemaglobin, transfusions, & a hematoma, that I can just see him thinking, "Not again!" However, this time I hope I won't need transfusions, extra surgery to remove the hematoma, crazy coumadin levels, etc. & can come home straight from the hosp like all the good little Bonesmarties. That alone would make a WORLD of difference. How you doing today, sweetie?
 
Peaches Did you do any outpatient PT after your hip surgery? I'm trying to make a decision, but think I've pretty much decided to pass on that. I can't really afford to do it very much (co-pays), and it would also be a huge hassle getting back and forth, and I've read on here that a lot of people just don't do it. If it were super important for a successful outcome, I would find a way, I guess, but don't want to pay a lot of money for someone to tell me what to do and watch me do it -- I figure I get get a lot of information off the net for what exercises to try, etc. My in home PT hasn't been anything spectacular, just her giving me a sheet of exercises and watching me do them.

What do you think? What did you do?

Peace and love to you.
 
Butterfly, you make a good argument. Why pay someone to watch you do your exercises? That's how I feel when I go. I have two appointments left and I don't think I will be extending my need for it. You can certainly rely on the fine folks here to help guide you and help choose some exercises!

Congrats on completing the double whammy! :heehee:
 
Greetings. Aren't you on Medicare? When I had my knee done, Medicare paid for in-home AND outpatient PT. There's a certain dollar amount which usually amounts to 12, 13, 14 or so PT sessions, depending on what they do. If not crucial to recovery, I'm with YOU, though -- do it yourself. My in-home gal was terrific: thoughtful, knowledgeable, and very concerned with hurting me. Josephine would approve. By the time I started out-patient, my opposite hip had reared its ugly head, my knee was quite good, and we stopped. And the rest, as they say, is history. :kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom