Guest viewing is limited

THR Butterfly Flutters Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
shrinkette I'm on a Medicare Advantage Plan. It "covers" out patient PT, but there is a $45 co-pay for each visit. At 3 visits a week that is $135 a week and $540 a month. That is pretty steep for someone on Medicare and a small annuity, especially if the PTs are going to just basically hand you a paper and say add these exercises next, which is about all my in-home person does. I'm just trying to determine if the cost is justified by the benefit, or if I could just do 'em myself and get on fine. It isn't like I'm in training for the Bolshoi or anything like that. I just want to have a normal life of everyday stuff and a bit of exercise. And Josephine always says the hips will sort themselves out on their own.

I'm just not sure what to do -- expend savings for the out-patient PT, or just skip it. Maybe I could go to a couple sessions and see what they do, or something like that. I do very much want to get a normal gait back, and I'm too early in the second-hip process to see if I can do that on my own or not. Or maybe I could drag them out -- wonder how long the authorization lasts for? I guess I should call my plan and ask 'em.

Mr in-home PT comes back tomorrow, so I think I'll talk to her about it, though I know which side of the question she is going to come down on. Still, she may be able to give me an idea of what they actually do in out-patient. And she can tell me how many in-patient visits I am approved for.

How are you getting on? Well, I hope. Is that your kitty in the avatar? Is it a siamese?

Peace and love to you.
 
Hello, my friend Butterfly... Hmmm <scratching head> it IS a conundrum. I forgot there's various Medicare plans. I guess I have the original, or whatever they call it; I also have a good Cigna supplementary which my husband's employer provided as our primary & we were able to continue when he retired & Medicare became the primary.

Anyway -- the one thing I can say about out-patient PT is that they do have all kinds of equipment that could be helpful, which doesn't mean NECESSARY. I'm like you: I wanna be able to walk decently & safely, have the "normal life" you talk about, be able to do errands, shop, meet friends, and maybe travel -- we haven't been able to do that for years. It's no fun when you hurt, & too difficult to put together logistically. My husband is looking forward to us making some plans, maybe even eventually selling our house & moving to a nice community with some activities.

Good idea to get input from your home PT as well as others here, as you're doing. I fully well remember Josephine saying that hips just kind of settle in themselves as long as we're careful, don't overdo, & maybe carefully build up some strength. So maybe PT is really superfluous (& DEFINITELY expensive, I obviously hadn't realized!). With knees, on the other hand, they make a big deal about range of movement & force you to bend that swollen sucker... Don't ask!

I'm doing better, thanks. More 'up' days, thanks to the courage I'm acquiring from this forum. Today at my GP I made my appt for pre-op exam & was deliriously happy for him to say that since I had a chemical stress test last January, I can skip that. Yea!!! So I'll have all that stuff done about 10 days before the op; it's also the beginning of the new benefits year for Medicare, which could prove useful. I'll have to take the stupid class, of course. I could probably TEACH it with what I've learned here....LOL. I've gotta buy that pillow we talked about & a leg lifter... I've got all the other aids thanks to knee. God! I hope I don't have to go to in-patient rehab! I WANNA GO HOME!

Avatar is indeed my delightful Balinese cat (similar to Siamese with longer hair & not as vocal). He's brilliant, for a cat, & his name is Ira. I had another cat we got at the same time -- a Ragdoll named Sheldon -- but he died early of kidney failure. Ira
is a complete mushy lap cat, very affectionate & very dog-like. I love dogs... I know you have a couple of Labs, right?

One question: tell me more about this "cement leg" post Op. how long does it last & how do you put it on your bed, let alone walk?

Well, time to zonk... Been lovely chatting. Do wish we'd hear from Flowergirl. Take care...let me know if you decide to compete in Olympic pole vaulting. :kittykiss:
 
Butterfly I decided to forgo the pt post op...$40 a session and I really didn't have time. Have done fairly well. May go to a pt who is a friend for some soft tissue work if the thigh pain keeps up. Have done fairly well with just walking. Am about to start swimming again...but I didn't have a bilateral. What does your surgeon say? Mine was actually okay with me not going to pt.
 
shrinkette I am skipping the pole vaulting this year. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by the "cement leg" we hear about. Mine doesn't feel like cement, it just is difficult to raise up (like in a marching stance or to put up on my pillow, which I think people do with leg lifter things), but I think that's muscle weakness, surgical stuff, etc. That's probably what they mean. It doesn't bother me much.

If it was a knee, I'd proceed with out patient stuff, for sure. But after hearing what Josephine says, and a lot of other UK folks who don't do much, if any, out patient stuff, even tho here in the US they make quite a big deal out of it, I just can't quite decide what to do. After all this, I don't want to jeopardize my hips, but I don't want to throw a whole buncha money at them unnecessarily, either. Roofmaster says he didn't do outpatient therapy and he is doing fine, but then he is 20 yeas younger than we are, too.

As to going home vs. rehab -- I'll bet they'll let you go on home, unless you don't want to. My OS (and it seems like most others around here at least) vastly prefers you to go home unless you are feeble and live alone, or have some other huge medical issue. He says people do better at home and pick up fewer infections. I do live alone, but I'm not feeble (well, most days anyway) and have my DIL and grandsons coming and going to help. I actually had y DIL staying with me overnight he first night out of the hospital, and that was all. Otherwise she comes and goes, and of course comes right away if I need her, but I've done fine mostly on my own. Get kind of glum and lonely some days, but that's to be expected.

As to that stupid hip class, try to ignore it if you don't find it helpful. I HATED the hip class I went to, and it upset me and it was a total and complete waste of my time and actually set me back somewhat emotionally. Very imperious and threatening tone to it that I did not need at that point in my journey.

Your cat is beautiful. I've never met a Balinese cat before. Yes, I have two labrador retrievers, black ones, and they are my babies and my true loves. They are getting a bit elderly now, which makes me sad, but I love them dearly (not that they are spoiled or anything - HA). When the weather turns cold they enjoy having me put their little blankies over them at bedtime so they can be all warm and snuggly. Harold makes almost a purring noise when I throw his blanket over him.

Well, it is time to go try to sleep.

Peace and love to you, dear friend.

Milli
 
Good morning Butterfly .Didnt you have PT for your 1st surgery?There is so much information online and on youtube,and also with your experience from your 1st hip Im sure someone as smart as you can take your therapy into your own hands and save your money.Its really quite simple to do on your own no matter what your age.Also you have no "deadline" to meet so really you could just use common sense and the internet to rehab yourself.Really most therapy sessions are you being watched by a therapist as you go through the exercises theyve laid out for you.It seems to be an expensive form of voyarism.Although a positive benefit of therapy sessions is the fact that when you go there you have to perform.Where as when your left to your own devices its sometimes to easy to forego therapy for any number of reasons we invent in our minds.But with some self discipline and the right motivation that shouldnt be a problem.I think I speak for everyone when I say Im very impressed with the transformation youve gone through both physically and emotionally.This experience has made you a quite impressive force to be reckoned with and I for one have no doubt youve got what it takes to rehabilitate yourself and save your money for yourself.Just promise me you will put those new hips to good use and live life.Life IS physical therapy.Feel free to ask me for advice or guidance any time.Its no bother at all.Your my home girl.Love ya Milli.Peace.
 
Roofmaster You are going to make me blush with all those nice things you are saying!

I think I could do it just fine on my own, because it pretty much is just following instructions and I have YEARS of doing that under my belt. For the first hip, the hospital sent out a PT to help me get started, but those visits, tho a lot cheaper) run out pretty quick. I do have the motivation to exercise, etc., on my own, and have done it for years (before the hips struck). I even have some assorted exercise equipment, including a treadmill where I can walk (no more running for me) inside in lousy weather.

The whole thing doesn't seem really very mystical, right? Just mostly regaining strength and muscle tone? I hope to get back to where I can zip around the neighborhood on my bike. I really did love that -- wind in my hair and all that -- also stopping to talk with people and visit with doggies along the way. Not too much in the winter, though, but maybe by next spring.

Love to you, and please keep on being my mentor.

Milli
 
And don't forget we have our fabulous Josephine who tells us that PT is not really necessary for the hip and that they tend to sort themselves out. My husband who is also a PT tends to agree. His comments to me: "Recovery is not a race.", "Most hip replacement patients who come to therapy stop coming after a couple of visits because they get so much better regardless." I like to go for the soft tissue therapy (massage) and other modalities (interferential current, ultrasound, etc.) used at my husband's office, but as far as the exercises, I think you can do most of these on your own.
 
I hope to get back to where I can zip around the neighborhood on my bike. I really did love that -- wind in my hair and all that -- also stopping to talk with people and visit with doggies along the way.
You will - I promise you that. Just remember you are only 5 and 1 weeks out. So don't fret that you don't seem to be getting anywhere. It's much too soon for that. Maybe by next March you will be getting ready for that!

[Bonesmart.org] Butterfly Flutters Over
 
Hello Butterfly Roofmaster calikat and Josephine... If I may comment on this PT business: Assuming I follow instructions & do the prescribed exercises post-op, not overdo, etc., how much success will I hope to have in "living life" given the fact that I'll be almost 70 at the time of surgery, am overweight, never exercised for fun or pleasure, BUT did do what I was supposed to prior to my knee op, and got thru rehab after it fairly decently except for some stuff beyond my control like a hematoma. I think I have decent upper-body strength since I use my arms to lift up from chairs, etc. and have been using a walker for some months now. I have also just learned that i will be getting some in-home PT, too. I have been a totally sedentary slothful slug between the knee and hip...! (Gee, I think I should've been writing this on my own thread... Sorry!). Any hope for an old sloth?

Oh, and Butterfly: I second Roofmaster's kudos. Believe what he says. I will get back to you on the matter if our respective pets.
 
@skrinkette Well I talked to the home PT lady (same one I had before) bout the outpatient PT dilemma and she said she didn't see any particular reason I should go to outpatient PT. She says in her personal opinion, outpatient PT for hips is mostly for those with special problems or those who are not good about doing the exercises on their own. She also pointed out that I have that Silver Sneakers benefit with Medicare and I could just go to one of the participating gyms and get one of the coaches to help me figure out a program to strengthen hip and thigh muscles if I wanted to use machines. It's a free benefit, and the YMCA up the road a ways is a participating gym and they have a heated indoor pool! SO I could do pool walking if I wanted to. How cool is that! And it wouldn't cost me anything. So I think that is what I am going to do. PR lady said that the coaches/trainers, whatever, at the participating gyms have to know about helping seniors and doing post rehab stuff, so it's not like it would be brand new to them. Sounds like a pretty good solution. OR, she said, I could just walk -- I do have a treadmill here at home.

What d'ya think?

Peace and love,

Milli
 
Butterfly I think it's absolutely perfect in every way!! I'm glad you told me about it. A pool, even! Sounds like you found The Perfect Solution. Matter of fact, maybe I'll do some research & see if I can find that resource around here. Certainly are enough Seniors in South Florida -- duh!
 
Butterfly I'm doubting the usefulness of PT too. My OS has a reputation of being overly cautious. I'm also young, I have my balance, and I was really active up until the surgery. I'm not going to suit and play video games the rest of my life. I can't wait to get back on my bike.

The ankle exercises they have me doing do nothing for me, I have a nervous tic that does the same thing. The stuff that hurts, hurts because I'm not ready for it. Things like lifting my leg straight up while laying down. my wife made a point that even though I feel ready for a lot of exercises, the PT is a pro and studying my movements as we go. He's the one that will know when I can get to the second floor of my house. I kinda agree with that, but I also know what I'm capable of. I haven't tried the first step yet. She did catch me breaking a few restrictions today. I swear her definition of 90 degrees is more like 60. So it's her way of reeling me in to follow Dr's orders. I've been over confident today because I'm feeling so well.
 
sean5033, the ankle exercises they have you doing are to help prevent blood clots---they have nothing to do with improving hip mobility. Knee replacement patients have to do them too.
 
sean5033, the ankle exercises they have you doing are to help prevent blood clots---they have nothing to do with improving hip mobility. Knee replacement patients have to do them too.

That just blew my mind!! I thought it was for mobility reasons. I haven't neglected them, but I haven't counted them as PT either. When I have my feet up I'm naturally fidigity and flip them around. I can't wait to tell my wife and see her reaction.
 
sean5033 Yup, they are to get your blood pumping through legs. And it's something you can do mindlessley just about any time. The dreaded white sox, my surgeon told me, are to help with the swelling. That's why he let me get rid of them at the two week checkup for the first leg, because the swelling was way down. I actually didn't wear them as much as I was supposed to (as in all the time) because they cut into my leg just below the knee. I've been wearing them all the time with this leg because it has swollen more. I do HATE them, though.

You should check around about the outpatient therapy. I'll bet you can do it yourself just fine. You're young and strong and you shouldn't have any problem at all. They say it is 99% just strengthening stuff back up. Do check with you OS and seeif there are any movements you should avoid, though. Because I had the posteriolateral approach, OS says I must not do any of the hip abduction (moving your operated leg out to the side of your body and back) exercises for several months, and I do have the 90 degree restristriction for I don't know how long, and a couple others, but nothing unmanageable. Back when I was working, I don't know how I'd have managed the outpatient therapy because of having to take that time off work, anyway.

Keep on doing well and getting better.

Peace and love to you.
 
Good morning Butterfly Im going to answer your question you posted on my thread here.About the pain differance in hip and leg 2 as opposed to the 1st.Everything you described is exactly what I went through,more pain in upper leg and thigh,pain upon standing,and discomfort in the wee hours.Also you said you know you got off easy with the 1st hip as I think I did also.I believe what we are going through with hip #2 is probably more on the normal side.Brighter days are coming and within 3 weeks it was like a switch went off and I noticed improvement with everything,pain,strength and flexability.What took the longest was the pain in the thigh in the front.I could not lift my knee up toward that 90 degree point for a while without pain and tightness.It will get better soon I promise Milli.Peace.
 
shrinkette How are you doing today? I was able to get into bed by myself last night with the help of a dog leash to help me get my leg up on that big support pillow! I just lassoed my foot (felt like Roy Rogers) and hauled it up there. Actually slept better in the bed than in the recliner. So that's a milestone for me. YAY! Maybe I can use the leash to help me get my newly operated leg over the edge of the tub, too.

Love,

Milli
 
Butterfly are you still having issues lifting your leg up? Are you on weight restrictions?
I'm at a point already where I can get in and out of bed without help. It's amazing how far I've come in the past week. I'm having intrusive thoughts about ditching my walker, but my Dr would throw a fit after my wife kills me for putting to much weight on my leg. :puppysmooze:
 
I have trouble getting my most recent operated leg up onto the elevation pillow I have when I'm laying in the bed. So the dog leash solved the problem. I can get in and out of the bed without help, but need the help of the dog leash to get my leg up onto that high pillow. The thing that hurts the worst is getting up after setting a while, like at my computer.

I'd LOVE to ditch the walker, but I fear it is a bit early yet, esp. since I have both hips replaced now. The first one is not yet 6 weeks old, the second one is not yet 2 weeks old. My doctor would have a FIT if I hurt myself while not using the walker, and my DIL would probably take me out and shoot me.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about what your wife will do than what the doctor would say. First, your wife will give you a big fat mean lecture about not taking care of yourself after all the work and money that has gone into the hip project -- THEN she would kill you. Not a happy picture. So hang onto that walker.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom