Bilateral TKR Bubbles BTKR 9 November 2015

Great report from the PA. It is too bad that it seems like a lot of therapists cause us so much pain. There should be some further teaching to instruct them in updated ideas like those that are practiced in the UK.
 
I agree @newlybionic, at the very least our OS should tell us not to let the PTs hurt us. I don't understand why the PTs think they can get better ROM from an angry knee.

I'm really having a hard time learning to trust my new knees. It's slowing my progress. They feel very sturdy and don't hurt at all when I walk but I just can't stop putting weight on my walker, particularly with my 'bad' leg. Every once in a while I jump because my brain thinks my knee is in a position where it might dislocate. The jump scares me. It's very annoying. Any suggestions? Five weeks today!
 
@Bubbles, you have been through a lot in your recovery. it is only natural that you would be cautious. I am having a hard time letting go of my cane. I can walk all day in the house without it, it the minute the door opens and I go outside, I grab it. I am so afraid of falling or someone bumping into me. Yesterday, my dear husband held my hand the entire time I was outside and helped me leave the cane inside. Perhaps, you can decide you are going to walk 5 steps and bear weight today. Do this consciously - really concentrate on it. If it goes well, then add more steps the next time. You are in my prayers for confidence.
 
Thanks @Timetolive, I was doing what you suggest yesterday. Making it a point to walk not using my walker for support, it was with me but I tried to walk normally. I do well when I'm not too tired and when my knees aren't angry. I still tire way to easily because of the blood clots in my lungs. I know I'd be much closer to no walker if I had more energy.

Went to PT yesterday. It was late in the afternoon and a long walk from the parking lot so I was tired when I got there. I started with some assisted heel slides and my therapist measured my ROM. My bad leg was feeling very stiff so I didn't expect much but both knees improved by 10 degrees! Good leg 100, bad leg 90. I was very pleased. I've been working on strength and ROM at home and it's helping. I'm so glad to be back to doing PT.

I'm thinking building confidence in the new knees is going to be the hardest part for me. Therapist had me standing on my tip toes, up and down, hoping it helps.
 
Confidence is a challenge after such a big surgery. Standing on my tippy toes was one of the last skills to return after my first TKR, and I'm now working on it after my second. Hang in there- sounds like you are progressing well.
 
Therapist had me standing on my tip toes, up and down, hoping it helps.
That exercise is very hard on new knees. If you must do it, only do very few.

Use the walker as long as you feel you need it. Lots of people stick with it until their gait has returned to normal. Practice putting weight on your new knee, while just touching the walker, for confidence. You can practice walking up and down the hallway at home, stepping properly and putting weight on that leg. Your confidence will come back gradually.
There's no point in giving up the walker if you're not going to walk properly without it.
 
It takes practice but you'll get more confident over time.
 
The walker will come in handy if we ever get any snow. I walked so carefully when in the snow and often used the Walker outside when I didn't need it or use it inside.
 
That is GREAT ROM! I am so proud of you for trying to put weight on your knee. It is a slow recovery and you have extra precautions and concerns. Take good care of yourself.
 
@Clipless and @Celle thanks for the heads up on standing on my tip toes. I'll limit that one.

@KarriB snow! It scares me to just think about it. I need to go to Florida for a month or two. :surfer:

I just returned from the doc's office, I have a uti! (tmi?) So do I need to be concerned about it getting into one of my new knees? What next?? I'm on antibiotics.
 
It's unlikely that the UTI will infect your knees.

However, taking the antibiotics will make you feel a lot better.
 
Wow time flies!

I'm finally starting to get a little more energy, I didn't need to sit down to rest while making my morning cappuccino! I think the antibiotics are finally kicking in. I did have a cath for the first night in the hospital @KerriB. Hopefully the rest of my recovery will be uneventful.

Today I'm going to use a cane around the house instead of my walker. At six weeks out I think it's about time. My problem is fear so I just need to do it and get used to it. So far so good. My new knees are strong and stable, I need to get that into my head! I think I'll still use the walker when I go out.

I've stopped taking all meds prescribed by my OS. No more gabapentin as my OS's PA recommended. A couple nights of less than great sleep but last night was good. I've also stopped taking melatonin. I'd probably still take the Celebrex but can't because of the blood clots.

PT has been going well. My therapist is very gentle and doesn't push me too much. I think the PE scare has caused her to be very cautious with me. If tell her I'm tired, no problem--rest. I used to get lightheaded easily so I'm very cautious.
 
I asked because my dad had a catheter and a UTI each time. Some people seem to be more susceptible than others. I had one and was fine. I'm glad you're feeling better. It is best to try using a cane just around the house where you have chairs, sofas, etc. to hold onto if needed.
 
I'm getting a little more energy, I think the UTI is finally gone. The antibiotics are gone so the infection better be too.

At PT yesterday my ROM was 113/100! I was pleased because both knees were sore and swollen from a busy morning. I know they would have been even better. The knees seem to be healing nicely and ROM is improving regularly without difficulty or pain. Keep in mind I had almost three weeks without any PT forcing ROM like some PTs seem to think is so important (here in the US). Just goes to show that no pain, no gain is a lie when it comes to TKR.
 
I agree! I didn't bend at all for over a month and still got ROM up to 18 months after my TKR. When I did do pt it was non-aggressive bending.
I'm happy to hear you're doing well and have a bit more energy.
 
As I was being encouraged to do heel slides as far as I could today, I did get the "no pain, no gain" meme from the PT, but at no time did I feel any real pressure to go beyond the point of discomfort.
 
Time for a check-in! The knees are doing well. Very little pain, more like discomfort from overuse and swelling. My problem is fear, I just can't get myself to let go of the cane. It was just last week that I forced myself to stop using the walker. This is at eight plus weeks! My knees are strong and reliable but I can't convince my reflexes. I still jump when I think there might be a dislocation. The jumps scare me, I'm afraid they're cause me to fall. I'm working on it. My PT has me standing on one leg moving the other. This helps with confidence and balance. Anyone else go through this? Suggestions?

My blood clots still cause me to tire easily and it's slowing my recovery. I'd like to walk longer distances but I get exhausted too quickly. I've been in stores using a shopping cart and it tires me out sooner than I'd like but it's improving ever so slowly. No way to rush this part of the recovery. I'm hoping for a complete recovery from the PEs eventually.

My PT is going well. The hardest part is getting myself there. The parking lot isn't very close to the entrance so I have to walk 50 to 75 yards just to get into the building then it's still a good distance. Glad we haven't had much snow. Don't know what I'll do if it gets icey. My ROM is 120+ on my good knee and 105 on the other --unassisted. Improving regularly so I'm happy with that. I think I can see there is still lots of room for much better ROM in the future. I remember being threatened by a PT at about a week out of surgery--no pain no gain. BS! I get better results when my knees are happy not angry! Thanks for the advice about that!

My current PT is very gentle and knows what she's doing. It isn't unusual that I need to sit and rest in the middle of an exercise because of my lungs. I pay attention to my stamina, I'm afraid I'll pass out.

Thanks again for the site. This recovery would have been more difficult without it.
 
Bubbles, it is good to hear such wonderful progress! You have been through so much on your journey. I am not using a cane anymore, although I am afraid of falling. In the house, I am fine. Outside, I walk like an old lady. The OS told me to start walking for rehab three times a day, and it frightens me to think about it. I have a nice walking pole I think I will take as a "just in case". I was attacked by a dog while walking several years ago and still have some of that fear left, so it will be a good protector also. I think just walking more will help the uneasiness. Do you look down when you walk? At PT, when I use the bands around the ankles, I have to look down - I don't want to trip! Those balancing exercises are such fun -hahaha! Have you had to touch the cone while standing one leg and they move it lower and lower? Or stand on a pillow instead of the hard floor? I think your ROM is terrific! Good job! I will pray for your complete healing from the clots and for you to regain your strength.
 
Bubbles - your progress sound good and steady. Keep it up, obey the knee and withdraw from Braunzie's patience ATM often (no daily limit).

Do you look down when you walk?
I do! I know that what is a small imperfection in the sidewalk can affect me significantly. I work in an area that is full of old style cobblestone and brick, I definitely look down when walking in that area. How is the walking stick different from a cane (I see the difference but was wondering from a user perspective).
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom