Bilateral TKR Bubbles BTKR 9 November 2015

How smart you were to take action quickly. Please take care of yourself and continue to let us know how you're doing.
 
I'm glad that you got to the hospital so quickly and they were able to find your problem right away. It must have been very frightening. My prayers are with you for a speedy and uneventful recovery.:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for all the encouraging well wishes. It means a lot.

I'm still in ICU but will be moved to a regular room today, probably be there for two days while they get me on Coumadin. Maybe they'll let me walk a little there. I'm hooked up to machines fom every appendage and they draw blood it seems like every hour.

The decision to call for an ambulance was easy. I went from being short of breath to unable to stand, barely able to sit. I knew I'd be unable to get into a car. There was no doubt something bad was happening. It seems I got really bad when it started stressing my heart. But I'm on the mend now.
 
@Bubbles , it is so good to hear an update from you. You have been covered in prayer. Do you think this had anything to do with the early clot in your leg they found? I know you gave your family quite the scare. On the bright side (gotta find one!), this will give your knees a chance to rest and help any swelling. I hope your day is blessed.
 
@Timetolive thats a good question, it could have been the earlier clot but it also could be new ones. Lovonox isn't a very strong blood thinner, doesn't work as well as Coumadin or heparin. So new clots could have formed. It is unusual but happens from what I understand. I'll need to get with a hematologist once things settle down to see if we can get this figured out. I may have some sort of clotting disorder I don't know about.

They tell me I'll be seeing a PT, hopefully today, to work with my knees. I sure would like to be able to walk. I'm not permitted to get out of bed by myself. Yesterday was the first day I could even use a bedside potty. Let me just say that in 2015 we should have better functioning bedpans for women. Yuck! Glad I'm past that part of this.

Just a heads up to others having major surgery--the shortness of breath was my first symptom of the PE. I wanted to blow it off but I really knew it was unusual. I called my family doc's office and the nurse told me to go to emergency room. She was right. I'd had the shortness of breath for a couple hours before I colapsed. I had no coughing or chest pain. Maybe a little heaviness in my chest. Listen to your body!
 
Thanks, Bubbles, for sharing all that.

I'm relatively confident that I'll be able to deal with the pain and whatnot, but I have a tendency to try and "tough it out" when it comes to anything medical related. Not acting stupid in the event of some sort of complication is something I know is going to be a hurdle for me. I'm sure your experience is going to be helpful to me in that regard...
 
I'm happy that you're on the mend. I hope you have a speedy recovery now with no other setbacks.
 
So glad you're getting better, but what a great lesson for all of us. Listen to your body!! And also, it's okay to ask for help!!

I hope the rest of your recovery is completely uneventful!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@XKV8R I'm the same way. I argued with the nurse on the phone about going to the ER. Major surgery can bring some surprises! I'm thinking this is rare but it happens. Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Looks like I'll be getting out of ICU soon, hope that means I can get disconnected from all these machines and do some walking.
 
Good Lord, Bubbles! That was scary to read about. sending all my wishes and healing thoughts that you will be on the mend with no more frightening medical issues while you are recovering. Yikes!! :yikes:
 
@Bubbles so glad you are ok, what a scare. Take care keep us up to date with your progress
 
So scary but so glad you are on the mend. I hope you get to go home soon. Thank goodness you got to Hospital.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bubbles, did you get to go to a room? How was your day? Just want you to know I am thinking about you!
 
@Bubbles how absolutely frightening! I just read your recent posts and am so glad you called for an ambulance. I hope everything is sorted out for you and you're able to get to the bathroom and work your knees a bit.

I'm on the other side of Pittsburgh, in Baden and had my TKR at Passavant Hospital. @XKV8R mentioner Beaver, which is just 7 miles or so down the road from me.
Hoping you have a restful night.
 
@Bubbles, how are you doing? I hope you had a good day and was able to move out of ICU and walk some. You are being thought of and prayed for!
 
@Bubbles this is a scary story! You were so smart to call the ambulance! I am glad to hear that they got it under control and you will be able to go home soon. What a frightening experience!

I am not sure that my story will help, but perhaps it will provide some perspective. I had a DVT with multiple PEs about 10 years ago, shortly after an auto accident where I was struck behind the knee. I did not experience shortness of breath like you, but had a very sudden and intense backache that did not respond to muscle relaxants, and a swollen foot. No clotting disorder was found after a full hematology work up. I was on Lovenox on and off, and 6 months of Coumadin, and never had a recurrence, and apparently no permanent damage (physical anyway - emotionally I was a wreck for quite a few months!). My PCP still orders ultrasound tests any time there is anything painful in either of my legs, just to be sure.

When my TKR was needed, I was very apprehensive, but after a 3-week course of Lovenox, followed by 10 days of aspirin, I seem to have escaped a repeat performance, thank heavens. (Almost 12 weeks! :yes!: )

My hope is that you will also have a complete recovery and not experience any permanent effects from this frightening episode.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom