Bilateral TKR Bubbles BTKR 9 November 2015

A couple days ago my bad (or worse of the two) knee started hurting and got very stiff. It hasn't been this bad in months. It continued to hurt really bad even after I elevated and iced. I don't recall doing anything unusual that might cause this--it really hurt. The one thing I can think of is that I was wearing jean capris that were rolled up to just below my knee. Maybe it was too tight. Much of the pain was from around my bakers cyst, maybe it squeezed and irritated it. I've worn these capris before without issue. It's feeling better now but still a little more stiff than usual. Any ideas or suggestions. I don't need this happening.
I'm not sure what happened, either, but sometimes just a little thing upsets your knee for a while. If that happens, you have to spend some time pampering the sore knee again. Try to spend at least a couple of days resting, elevating and icing the poor thing. If you have pain at the back of your knee, try icing that. as well as the front. I know that, for about 9 months after each of my TKRs, my knee would occasionally decide to let me know I'd done something that upset it. It doesn't do it any more now.
I'm also looking at taking some fairly long flights in May, not sure how to handle that. One doc suggested lovenox shots just before and after the flights. I'll see what the doc's this week think.
It's a good idea to ask your doctors what they think, especially as you're on anticoagulants.
We do have an article that gives some general advice about foying:
Flying soon after surgery
I hope that helps.
 
Bubbles, you will continue to be in my prayers for good visits at the doctors' this week. I hear you about the uneven ground! I am still walking with my head down when walking outside looking for uneven ground. I am doing better as far as the knee. I have one place that continues to have a little niggle. Since I can't take many pain meds, the OS prescribed a TENS unit and it is helping! I developed diverticulitis 4 weeks after surgery and after my morphine withdrawal. It has been a nightmare. I had almost 3 months of diarrhea and pain. This past week, it has been severe pain, but only diarrhea twice. I wish I could figure out what triggers it. Thank you for asking. This has certainly been an interesting recovery!
 
Thanks @Celle, it's hurting some again today after just a little activity. I rested it yesterday, icing and elevating. I called my OS's nurse this afternoon but have yet to get a return call. Sure hope this isn't something that happens regularly. I'll check out the article make sure it's okay with my docs before I fly.

@Timetolive thanks for the prayers. Keep your head up--nag, nag. It's so easy to hunch over concentrating on the ground, I know. I'm limited on pain meds too but until Saturday I didn't need any. I too struggle with diverticulitis. Not fun. I've had so many CT scans I think I glow in the dark. Then there's all the Cipro--yuck! I feel your pain. You might think I'm nuts but acupuncture has helped me. I wouldn't have believed it but I haven't had a flare since I started doing it a couple years ago. I believe stress triggers it and it doesn't take much. Acupuncture and 'real' yoga breathing that leads to relaxation (meditation) techniques help me control stress that may cause flares. It's a process but it works for me. There are some apps that can help you relax a bit, might be worth a try. It's a start. At one time it was thought certain foods were the problem but my GI doc says not so. Doesn't matter what I eat. I'm only limited when I'm in a flare. Hope you figure out how to stop your pain. I'll pray for you.
 
Slow and steady wins ... the recovery. It sounds like you are tracking it well Bubbles! Keep it up.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom