Bilateral TKR Bubbles BTKR 9 November 2015

Thanks for all the well-wishes! :wave:

I'm home now. They kicked me out of the hospital last evening after two days of doing well in a regular room. My roommate had a staff infection in her knee. :yikes: I would have ran out of the room when I found out if I were able. They assured me I was safe. WTH

I'm now on more than four times as much lovonox as before and a big dose of Coumadin. I'm a little uneasy but I suppose that's to be expected. I see my family doc tomorrow for some followup and check my Coumadin.

I guess I can be a good test for not doing all the rigorous PT because I'm just not up to it right now. I'll go back next week. Hopefully by then I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed again. I do a few easy exercises but that's all I'm up to now. Hope it all comes around okay.
 
I'm glad you're home. I hope all goes well from now on.
Just a little exercise is all your knees need.
 
It is so nice to see you are home and safe! I was really praying over you!

What the heck with the roommate???? At one of the hospitals in the adjoining big city, if someone has an infection, they are REMOVED FROM THE ORTHOPEDIC WING!!! Why take a chance?

Take it easy and let your body heal. I know it is nice to be back home. Prayers and blessings.
 
Hi @Bubbles, just read your recovery thread and oh my goodness you have been through the wringer!! So smart that you knew to call ambulance for the shortness of breath, thank God. Must of been really scary.
I too am incredulous that you were in the same room with someone that had a staph infection :chinstroke: . That patient should of been in an isolation unit. You definitely are a fighter and have come through with flying colors!!
 
..My roommate had a staff infection in her knee. :yikes: I would have ran out of the room when I found out if I were able. They assured me I was safe. WTH...

How awful, I would have been furious! Per the CDC's webpage on MRSA, "In general, in all types of healthcare facilities it is best to place patients requiring Contact Precautions in a single patient room." Where I work (and had my surgeries) every room is private- no roommates! There used to be some old-fashioned double rooms, but those wings were damaged in the Northridge earthquake and eventually torn down.

Glad you're home and feeling better! My best friend suffered a PE storm after surgery on a badly broken wrist. She recovered 100% but hated her time on blood thinners.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At Passavant all ortho rooms are private. My dad was in Sweickley for his hip two weeks ago and had a roommate. After my infection surgery they put me in a quarantine room that had an anteroom attached in case anyone had to change scrubs or wash down after leaving. Once they knew it was staph infection when I was in transition care I did have a roommate, but my knee couldn't be seen due to the imbolizer.
@Bubbles so glad you're home and doing well! I bet I have a longest scar, 52 stitches with the 2nd surgery.
 
I'm very happy you're home and wish you smooth sailing from here on out!
 
I bet I have a longest scar, 52 stitches with the 2nd surgery.

I can be very competitive. Hmmm... :chinstroke: If I give the doctor a hacksaw, and tell him I'd like something that'll look especially gruesome...

Wait! What am I thinking?? :yikes:

Never mind.

@KarriB, I'll be glad to concede defeat to you on this one.


@KarriB another Pittsburgher! We should get together with @XKV8R to compare scars. :snork:

I'll only consider it if we can do a group photo to post in the "Knee Scars--Post your badges of honor here" thread.

@Bubbles, I'm glad to hear you're home. I was getting worried that we hadn't heard from you in a couple of days.
 
Update--oh wait not much to update. I'm going somewhere every day it seems. Usually to my PCP to check my blood to adjust my thinners. On and off the lovonox shots, tweaks to the Coumadin--hopefully things will settle into place soon. First PT session tomorrow afternoon. They will probably be afraid to do much, we shall see. I saw a hemotologist today. They took 14 vials of blood. I think I'm anemic now, I insisted on a cookie and some juice after that.

So has anyone had experience with doing this TKR PT while on blood thinners? Do I need to worry? I'm mildly concerned. I'm also concerned about how much stiffer and weaker my left leg is than my right. Hope I can get some more ROM soon. It's over four weeks now.

Driving has been working out well. I can take myself to all these appointments. It just exhausts me. Hemotologist says it's because of the clots that are still in my lungs. Will be months before they're gone if they go. We talked about lots of things, it was a good visit. He said everything was done correctly for me, just a fluke that I developed the PEs like I did.

So @KarriB just how tall are you? Or how long are your legs--52 in. scar??
 
Just remember to take it easy with the PT, @Bubbles . You don't need to do a lot.
Make sure your therapist knows you're still on blood thinners and remind them to be gentle.
 
I'm only 5ft 4in. I had 52 staples, not a 52 inch scar. My OS used the same scar has my TKR, but it did get longer in order to clean the tissue.
I can't believe you're driving already! I'd say not too worry about the strength in your leg/knees right now. It'll come and pt shouldn't work on strength until around 4-5 months (I think ).
 
Glad your recovery is going well Bubbles. No experience on the PT-with-thinners front. Just take it easy, especially if just driving exhausts you. Just follow the BoneSmarties advice on PT - if it hurts - stop ... and stop them from doing it. All that tissue is still healing.

Laughing re @KarriB's 52" scar!!! Wondered just how the OS managed that incision!:rotfl:
 
Hi @Bubbles I just read your thread and wow you had quite a journey to the other side so glad you are on the mend. That was scary reading.
I can't believe you are driving already I guess I could but I have my daughter with me so just enjoying the company. :)
I pray it's all good from now on.
 
I hope you start to feel better soon. After 14 vials of blood you deserved at least a cookie and juice! Many people are on blood thinners. I would look over the info that comes from the pharmacy and also to call your doctor for any questions. The pharmacist can also answer questions about medications. I hope therapy goes well for you.
 
Also at the early stage of recovery you are, it is pretty normal to get exhausted easily. Having to get out to PT or the doctor's is kind of an "event" early on. :)
 
Went to see my OS's physician assistant Thursday. He told me there should be NO PAIN in rehab! I was so happy to hear him say that. He said they tell them but they won't listen. What's with that? My current PT has been very gentle, so far so good. The PA said I'm fine and not to worry, there's plenty of time to get the ROM. I knew that thanks to all of you but it was reassuring plus I was afraid he'd think I was behind. So I'm happy! :happydance:
 
My second pt group never hurt me and made a point of telling me to let them know if something hurt. I was nearly 4 months out at that time and the pt group is in the same offices as my OS.
I'm so happy to hear things have calmed down, you're feeling better and being reassured by your ortho group.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom