Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR BTKR: What was I thinking?

I was given gabapentin befor my btkr but I stopped taking it after I got out of rehab. I have plenty of it left. I will begin again tonight. Thank you all for the info. I don't know what to do without my BS friends!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine why would my skin look as tho it is peeling off on my wounded area???? Only a few weeks out, or more???

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Even my feet peeled. And that was both of them! They teased me on here saying that at least I had a matching pair! I don't think it's anything to worry about.
 
@34120 .... you may notice that I've moved your question to Jo and sistersinhim's response to your own recovery thread. Please post any questions regarding your own recovery here in your thread so as not to derail someone else's.

The peeling of skin around your incision is very normal and nothing to worry about. @Josephine may be able to explain the "why" that it happens, but I can tell you that you need not be concerned.
 
My dad had glue for his THR and it looked like his skin was peeling after a week or so, but I think it was the glue. Did you have glue?
 
The pre surgery soap and also the scrub that is used is very drying on your skin. As soon as you are healed and with your OS permission you can apply some moisturizers that can help like vitamin E.
 
why would my skin look as tho it is peeling off on my wounded area?
Generally it's because been exposed to lots of disinfectant and such. Skin doesn't much like chemicals, at least some don't. My skin does that too but if it's peeling, then that superficial layer of skin, which is already dead anyway, has just parted company with the base skin leaving a nice fresh layer of skin! So see the positive side and don't worry about it!
 
True--I noticed the nice fresh skin once the flaking stopped. :)
 
Packing up tomorrow, leaving for Kentucky on Monday. We break it up over 2 days so I will be driving by myself for 8 hours each day. My husband is taking my son a car up and my daughter and 2 grands are also following. Icing and elevating will be impossible until we get to the hotel for the night, as will medicating, since I am driving! :loll: Husband never wants to stop unless low on gas and I swear that man has the bladder of a camel! This is not going to be fun. Any suggestions?:reindeer:
 
I would pack a cooler with ice bags or frozen water bottles so you can do some icing while driving.
Tell husband that you will be stopping as needed and that is non-negotiable.
Use cruise control as much as possible if the car has it so you can move/ reposition legs as much as possible.
Wear compression socks if you have them to reduce swelling while sitting that long.
Good luck!
 
I guess my only suggestion would be make it clear to your husband that you are going to need breaks during this trip. Most breaks if just stopping for the bathroom or move around a bit, shouldn't set you back to much on how long the time is going to take to make the trip. Better to be safe and comfortable than over doing it and suffering with pain and swelling. Good luck, hoping your husband can be sensitive to your needs.
 
Set your navigation device and don't worry about hubby if you're uncomfortable. I bought smaller gel packs at Walmart that I could slide up my pant legs while driving back and forth to work early on. You might need a couple to rotate in the cooler. There's always those wraps that you put ice in and wrap around the leg/knee.
 
Thank you, @zzevi. His idea is, it has been 5 months, get over it already.
Thank you @KarriB
We are not all lucky to have the understanding we need. He has been good, but getting tired of it all. He has had bad back pain (disabled) for many years . I is like no one hurts as much as he does. I suffered for 9 years between knee replacements, thinking it must be normal and it must be my lot in life. Thanks to BS, I now know better!
 
Sorry we haven't responded. You should have tagged us sooner.

However, I don't get it - you're 5 months out so why would the drive be a problem?
 
I don't understand why so many cars. You will be driving one car, alone? Are you moving to Kentucky, or just going for the holidays? If just for the holidays, then leave one car behind and hitch a ride with your daughter. With little ones, she'll be amenable to stopping more often.

If you have to drive alone, do as the others suggested: Stop when you need to, take frequent breaks, take ice packs to use along the way, use GPS and cruise control. Tell the family that you will be making a slower trip than the rest of them.
 
I still have some stiffness when driving for long periods. Just try to take your time and stop when you need to. If it takes you a little longer I wouldn't worry about it.
 
I understand what your saying about your husbands feeling that your should be over the pain and discomfort. Some day I am hoping my husband begins to understand better on health issues, I'm not a whimp of a person and have needed every bit of time it's taking. Hopefully we can offer you the support that your not getting from your husband, I don't wish ill health on anyone, but my husband ever needs his knees replaced I am going to remind him on how recovery doesn't take that long and a few other jabs I've gotten in these later months. Love him dearly, but def a lack of understanding.
 
I'm not sure what the problem is, but here goes anyway.

- The driver is the boss. If you want to stop every hour, so be it. To do otherwise would add to the risk of driving.

- Five minutes, months or years, all knees are different and second-guessing by someone else is not constructive.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
... Husband never wants to stop unless low on gas and I swear that man has the bladder of a camel! ...

This absolutely cracked me up! It's exactly like me and my husband when we do a road trip - except for us, the weakest bladder wins. If he wants to keep driving until I wet my pants, the consequences are a whole lot worse than stopping before the gas tank is empty. :)

But in general I agree with everybody else - if your leg needs stretching then stop and stretch it. Especially if you're the one driving. Do you have a way of communicating with your husband while you're driving? If so just let him know you are stopping and arrange to meet up somewhere down the road, maybe when he stops for gas.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom