Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR BTKR Recovery - on the way to my new life!

London Trainer, you have been so strong with having both knees done and you really have been on your own alot. I am so sorry about your husband passing away. I feel your pain. My husband was in the hospital when I had my 2nd surgery done in May and they misdiagnosed him and he now has terminal bone cancer- he was supposed to get a bone marrow transplant in 2 weeks and has an infection and can’t now. It’s all so stressful, I had to do this recovery by myself and help him at the same time. We have been married over 44 years and he is the best husband in the world.
Life is so fragile. Hang in there, it gets better with every month that goes by.
 
Jockette, Jaycey, sistersinhim - thank you for your support. You’d lIke my physio - she said I’ve been doing too much with the walking and said to only go out every other day. Got just over 90 degrees flexion and very nearly almost 0 degrees extension and she said I’m where i should be at this stage which is a relief. Icing and elevating now. She didn’t push me at all with any movements and is sending me some more gentle exercises.
 
@Peaches0000 - I’m so desperately sorry for you and your husband. Really feel your pain. It’s so very hard. My husband had an infection just before his second bone marrow transplant but it still went ahead once they got it under control. He had 2 bone marrow transplants in 2002 - one from himself and one from his brother - and that gave us another 14 years together. He had myeloma which is incurable and kept coming back. I was so lucky to be married to the love of my life - when you love someone unconditionally and they love you right back unconditionally it’s the most incredible feeling in the world. I really hope things get better for you. The thing that helped me the most was learning to live in the present - just get through each day at a time - it’s super hard at first but does work. Sometimes I just go through each minute at a time! Our daughters were only 7 months and 23 months when he was diagnosed and that first year I had so many worst days of my life but after the transplants things were better for a few years. Thinking of you.
 
@London Trainer your physio sounds great! And your ROM at this stage is very good - well done!

You are one very lucky lady to have had such a lovely relationship with your husband. I'm sure you have come very happy memories. I like your suggestion about living in the present. I often tell our members to give this a try. Sometimes the world just throws too much at us. Focusing on a minute at a time can slow things down making life easier to deal with.

It's grey and gloomy here today. Guess I won't be venturing out to the garden!
 
Thanks London Trainer, my husband does have Multiple Myeloma , so I know you understand. I do take it one day at a time, because it literally takes my breath away if I picture my future without him.
 
@Jaycey - thank you - I was incredibly lucky and not a day goes by where I don’t miss him. I wake up every day in a world without him and it’s a darker place but my memories - and our daughters - give me great comfort.

@Peaches0000 - I’m so very sorry to hear that your husband has Myeloma. It’s a very scary and horrible disease but treatment has come a long way since my husband’s initial diagnosis in 2002. There are so many more treatment options available now and it’s now possible to live with myeloma and still have a good quality of life. The bone marrow transplant gave us 5 years treatment free and there were lots of treatment options with the first few relapses. It’s very hard for you having to deal with your surgery alone on top of your worry about him and you’re very much in my thoughts and prayers.

Day 27 - definitely on the mend. Walking better, pain more under control (with alarm set for drug reminders) and starting to feel more positive. Changed my dressings today and all looking good. Hospital called out of the blue asking how my scars were looking and when I said I’d just changed the dressings the nurse started telling me off! She was asking where the district nurses were and I explained that I was told 2 weeks ago to just change my own dressings once a week. I did explain that I was using the sterile packs and dressings I’d been given and taking photographs to compare progress - bit unfair that she was getting cross with me instead of the district nurse service but managed to calm her down. Only got to keep the dressings on for another 2 weeks - will be wonderful to keep them off - and also the TED stockings can come off then as well.

Being very careful to keep this slow but steady progress and not overdo it.
 
I see you’re from Canada - I lived in Oromocto, New Brunswick from 1970ish to 1973 and have my happiest childhood memories from that time. It’s my dream to visit Canada again and now my knees are fixed it’s something to look forward to, especially when the world settles down again.

Yes, I live in Ontario. Beautiful country here but very cold in the winter months. My wife and I purchased a travel trailer in 2014 and traveled across Canada with our 2 children over 2 summers. We went to PEI the first year and Vancouver Island the second. The travel trailer was the best purchase we've made. Great memories and great learning experience for our children :)
My wife went to England and Scotland in 1998 with her mother. I hear all the time that she wants to take me there as it is such a beautiful country. Who knows, once I get my knee issues resolved I will be climbing the highlands someday.
 
@DJL1967
@London Trainer

Reading and learning a lot from your posts, I haven't unfortunately visited Canada, it's on my list I am in Bonnie Scotland though I can see Ben Nevis from my window - A challenge for next year !

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragment
 
Last week when i went for my first walk I bumped into one of my neighbours - her bright smile and words of encouragement really lifted my spirts. She tragically died today from a brain aneurism. Just collapsed yesterday while on holiday with her family on the Isle of Wight. Can’t believe it and feel so heartbroken for her husband and three children. Shows you how short and unfair life can be and how important it is to live the best you can each day. She’d been messaging me every other day to ask how my recovery was going - such a kind, caring and genuinely sweet natured woman - an absolute tragedy for her to be taken so soon.
 
Day 31/32 - definitely some improvement and managed to get my left leg to go round on the exercise bike yesterday (only once because it did hurt a bit) but that’s big progress for me. Been walking around the house more and managed to unpack my shopping delivery too which is great for feeling more independent. Sleep the biggest problem - especially now when I can’t get the awful news about my neighbour out of my head. Just lying here counting my blessings really. Feel particularly bad for her husband because i know all too well the dreadful shock and pain he’s going through. And will go through for the rest of his life. Grief doesn’t get smaller but your life around the grief gets bigger and you just get used to living with it.
 
I am so sorry to hear about your neighbor’s death. Hugs to you and prayers for her family.
 
I’m so sorry about your friend‘s death. I’m sure after losing your husband, every death must be harder. :console2:
 
Thank you both for your kind words. Just so tragic. And I know what a comfort I found my husband’s funeral because there were so many people able to come and remember him - it’s so hard in the current climate for everyone with only limited family members allowed.
 
@London Trainer such a shock about your neighbour. So sorry to read this. And three children. So very sad.

On a more positive note, sounds like you are getting on very well. Don't force the bike too much - still very early days for you.
 
Prayers for you and your neighbors in their loss.

Day 31/32 - definitely some improvement and managed to get my left leg to go round on the exercise bike yesterday (only once because it did hurt a bit) but that’s big progress for me. Been walking around the house more and managed to unpack my shopping delivery too which is great for feeling more independent.
This is really good news. You are doing really well for only a month out! Good going!
 
Thank you @Jaycey and @sistersinhim - it helps to hear I’m doing well as feeling pretty frustrated I’m not further ahead! Went for a short walk round park today with my friend (and the dog) without crutches and it was okay but did make me realise that I will have to let my daughter take the dog for a couple of weeks when she moves out on Friday - I’m not entirely ready to walk a giant 32kg Japanese Akita twice daily yet! Very nearly almost got right leg around on bike today - getting closer but remembering to listen to my body with rest when needed and tons of ice and elevation.

Walked to neighbours house (without crutches) to drop in sympathy card. So heartbroken for them.
 
Finally managed to get both legs to cycle round exercise bike - thank you @Roy Gardiner as it was your advice about making the seat higher that made it possible!

Day 36 - still slow improvement but all going in the right direction. Even managed to go the hairdresser (cab there and back) and get a pedicure this week. Exhausted but happy to feel a bit more normality.

My daughter moves out tomorrow - feeling sad but also happy for her - will miss her and the dog (but at least the dog is only going for 2 weeks).

Nowhere near a stage where I can think about cutting back on pain relief but at least the pain is being kept under control and I know that I will be able to start tapering off soon.

Didn’t quite realise just how much this surgery would take out of me and how long the recovery journey would be but keep looking forward to a time coming hopefully soon when I’ll be out of pain and running around like a gazelle!
 
Finally managed to get both legs to cycle round exercise bike - thank you @Roy Gardiner as it was your advice about making the seat higher that made it possible!
You're welcome, pleased to know the advice was helpful.
 
Didn’t quite realise just how much this surgery would take out of me and how long the recovery journey would be
You'll get there - it just takes time. Don't forget, you had 2 major surgeries so recovery can take a bit longer.

Well done on the cycling!
 
Thank you for your words of encouragement @Jaycey!

7 weeks and 3 days - lots of improvement - I can now cycle with the seat lower for 10 minutes which is great. I’m still resting, icing and elevating the majority of the day but also walking 30 minutes at least once or twice a day and finally able to have showers! I was told by the hospital, my consultant and the district nurses not to shower for the first 6 weeks - thank goodness for body wipes - so absolute bliss to be able to shower again, not to have to wear the TED stockings (6 weeks) and to have the dressings off (again 6 weeks).

I’m getting my dog back tonight as I now feel strong enough to be able to walk her twice a day, although I do have friends on standby I can ask if I don’t feel up to it.

Saw my surgeon on Thursday and managed to travel there by public transport (bus, train, tube) and back. He’s really pleased with my progress and it was so reassuring to see him. He’s amazing, doesn’t go on about ROM numbers, just said that I was doing really well and he was more than happy with my ROM as it’s all on track.

Yesterday I went and tried an antigravity treadmill at my physio friend’s new practice - it was so good to take all that weight off and be able to walk with no pain whatsoever. I’m thinking of going in twice a week to use it so I can get my gait back quicker.

I’m still in a lot of pain and not ready to cut back on any painkillers yet but I know that will come with time. It’s just fantastic to gradually see my slow but steady improvement happening every week. I even got rid of the toilet frame and the raised toilet seat this week and haven’t used my crutches for 2 weeks now!

For me the biggest thing I’ve noticed is that I was able to go down the bottom 2 stairs normally - I come down sideways but I just thought that I’d try to see what it felt like. Obviously both knees feel like the steel bands are getting tighter but the horrendous kneecap pain which always happened with stairs was gone. One day soon I’ll be able to go down the stairs like a normal person!!!

It is frustrating when you feel like your progress is so slow but it does get better, just seems super slow and snail like. All the resting, icing, elevating, gentle physio exercise, gradual return to daily living activities and really listening to my body seems to be paying off and i can now see a future where I’ll be off pain medication, able to run again, free from the years of pain.

I’ve also noticed that the toes on my right foot have stopped curling under - when I mentioned it to my surgeon he said it would have been a pain response from my knees. So lucky to have such an incredible surgeon - he answers all my e-mails and really took time to discuss everything with me on Thursday.

Also made the decision not to return to work until after Christmas - I know it’s the best thing for me as I need to concentrate all my energy on healing.
 
Back
Top Bottom