Bilateral TKR BTKR Recovery - on the way to my new life!

Day 20 - some improvement. Can actually manage to get my right leg in and out of bed without leg lifter now! But right knee still much more painful. Saw my surgical notes and they had to cut more bone away on the right and have a different size implant to the left because of that. And managing to go up and down stairs more easily. But still haven’t left the house - hoping to do that tomorrow. Nights are hell but starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Thank you for your words of encouragement @Jaycey. It’s so easy to feel discouraged in the early days but reading everyone’s stories always gives me hope and makes me feel a lot less anxious. The temporary loss of independence can be incredibly frustrating but every day I’m closer to recovery. Hardly using my crutches and trying to concentrate on walking with a more normal gait. This wonderful forum - and all the fantastic, highly sensible articles provided - is massively aiding my recovery. I rested a lot after my back surgery 10 years ago (pretty much bed rest for the first 6 weeks) and I know that not pushing through pain really is the absolute best thing to do. The body has to have time to heal, rest, reduce inflammation etc and gradually get over the traumatic effects from such brutal surgery.


Small movements performed gently and often helps get a wider range of motion with less stress than forcing it. My wonderful surgeon agrees - he says it’s a very fine line between regaining movement without inducing inflammation. Pushing too hard prolongs recovery but not doing enough can also set you back. I’ve learnt over the years to listen to my body and that’s helping me now. I also have advanced arthritis in both feet and my shoulder injury is not happy (surgery for that next year) but my knees are gradually starting to work again.
 
@London Trainer Looks like you are well on your way to recovery keeping in mind you are not even at the one month mark yet. I'm sure it gets pretty frustrating losing your independence especially since you are normally so active. Remember, each day forward brings you closer to full mobility and pain free so you can get back to doing what you like to do. Reading others experiences prepares me for what I will be facing good/bad which alleviates any anxiety I have. Take care and please keep us posted on your progress as I will be in your shoes early next year if all goes as planned.
 
@DJL1967 - thank you for your kind words. It’s helping to keep this recovery thread as I’m able to see my progress more. Day 21 today and I’m definitely walking better. This forum is great! Reading what everyone else is going through makes you feel less alone and also helps you understand more what to expect, especially in the early days.

I see you’re from Canada - I lived in Oromocto, New Brunswick from 1970ish to 1973 and have my happiest childhood memories from that time. It’s my dream to visit Canada again and now my knees are fixed it’s something to look forward to, especially when the world settles down again.

Really hope you get your knees fixed early next year as planned!
 
Day 22 - actually got dressed today! Have got my orthotics in my trainers and immediately noticed less pain when walking. So decided to try my bike - absolutely know that I shouldn’t be disheartened by the fact that I couldn’t get a full rotation - @Roy Gardiner quite clearly says just move back and forth - but it has upset me. Just elevating, icing and repeating to myself patience, patience, patience.

Local hospital called me this morning to ask when was earliest I could come in for my rotator cuff repair to my left shoulder - was told it would be next April - and of course can’t do it now. Emailed my OS who said January is earliest I could do it. Just frustrating because it’s been getting worse again too.

So gone from elation this morning that things were really improving to crying again. Also aware that it’s post op blues and usually keep myself super busy to help with grief over my late husband. Too much time to miss him right now.

Trying to keep positive - I’m dressed, I’m walking better (and not using my crutches), I’ve managed to bring the bins in and do some washing. But just want to fast forward!
 
I know that I shouldn’t be disheartened by the fact that I couldn’t get a full rotation ... but it has upset me.
Lift the saddle as high as you can get it, pedalling with just your tip-toes, and see how that goes. But whatever, don't worry. You'll get there.
 
@Roy Gardiner - thank you so much - when I was in my home gym I kept thinking there was something else I was meant to do to the bike! It was such a struggle to get on it anyway and then I panicked I wouldn’t be able to get off it and had no devices with me to call for help . . .

I’m back in bed resting - totally exhausted from this morning’s efforts - icing, elevating and deep breathing exercises.

My youngest daughter moves out on 6th November and I think perhaps I’m panicking a little at the idea of living on my own for the first time in 28 years. At the moment she’s planning to take the dog for a few weeks but I’m really hoping by then that I’ll be able to walk the dog myself. Realistically know that might be unlikely but think it’s good to have a goal.

Helps so much reading everyone’s recovery threads on this fantastic forum - pain can be so debilitating and make you feel so isolated - knowing that it’s a normal part of recovery and things WILL get better with time really helps me to stay positive.
 
@London Trainer :friends: you are still in the early days of your recovery, allow the inner invisible tissues time to heal, like you I was impatient to get life back to normality, but I followed the advice offered on BoneSmart and as Covid took over I used the time to read and watch silly movies on the TV, allowing my knee to rest. Walking was always my favourite sport, I did short walks initially and as the months progressed increased a little each day, I owned a static bike and bought a mini peddler but I did not enjoy either, eventually I offered the static bike to a charity and the peddler is somewhere gaining dust:heehee: Fast forward 1 year, having gone initially through a rollercoaster of a ride both physically and mentally I am proof that with little PT and not trying to run before I could walk I have finally achieved my goals.
When my daughter first left home (she moved to London) the house seemed very empty and quiet, I made a bigger effort to invite people and got myself envolved with local activities, soon you will enjoy having your own space and your newly independence with the added company of your dog xxx
 
@London Trainer I too have a torn R rotator cuff from a skiing accident 2 1/2 years ago just around the time I developed my knee pains. OS said I would have to wait till I get my knee issues resolved before she would repair it. Needless to say it is going to be awhile before I have it repaired if at all. Now the other shoulder is causing me grief. :(
Keep up with the bike and try not to get discouraged. You will be spinning those pedals 360 degrees in no time. I had bilateral ACL repairs 30+ years ago and remember just how hard and frustrating it was getting on the bike for the first time. Once I raised the seat all the way up it made it easier and in no time I was able to go around fully. It was really the best physio mentally and physically for me. Just remember to go easy and not push yourself too hard.
 
@Sara61 - thank you so much for your words of encouragement - helps massively to hear how well you are doing now! And yes, it will be an adjustment when my youngest moves out but I’m trying to see it as a positive and a chance for me to look after myself only instead of everyone else. I’m also looking forward to our relationship changing. When my eldest moved out for uni it was hard to adjust at first but now we have a totally different adult relationship and it’s great.

@DJL1967 - shoulder injuries are a total pain! My dog pulled me over in May and I ended up with a fracture, torn tendons, torn ligaments and torn cartilage because I landed on a fully outstretched, fully extended arm and still holding the lead. A&E said I just had swelling and bruising but it didn’t feel right and luckily I have a physio friend who sent me for an MRI. Still hoping I can avoid shoulder surgery but not feeling good right now.

Day 24 - slow and steady progress but pain still a huge issue. Was hoping not to have to get more oral morphine but need it for the breakthrough pain, especially at night, and have an amazing GP practice. All I have to do is fill out the online consultation and they get back to me the very next day. Been at the same practice for 21 years so they know that I understand how to come off addictive drugs already from my back surgery and they also trust me, knowing that I only ask for pain relief when I absolutely have to.

Had to take the dog to the vet yesterday - my friend was staying so drove us down there in my car. Long delays at vet and after an hour I told them I couldn’t wait anymore because of the pain and it was my first day out of the house. Started crying and they immediately grabbed my dog, gave her an antibiotic injection and we were on our way home 5 minutes later. Hopefully her eye infection will properly clear up now. Love my dog - she’s a Japanese Akita - super gentle and very loving but an absolute money pit. Poor love already has a titanium leg and a stainless steel leg which has given her arthritis. She’s only 7 but has had £23K worth of vet treatment! Ouch - grateful we have insurance but premiums getting higher each year. My daughter is going to take her when they move out on 6th November - just for a few weeks - don’t want her to go but think it’s the most sensible thing for my recovery.

When I can’t sleep I read all the stories and articles here which gives me a greater understanding of what I’ve been through and what to expect. Am in awe at the strength displayed by everyone - some of the threads are painful to read - incredible what people can get through.
 
That's one of the good things about Bonesmart, someone is here to talk to 24 hours a day all around the world!
 
@sistersinhim - it’s an incredibly useful and extremely supportive forum!

I’m so happy - I just walked round the park with my daughter and the dog!!! First time! Thought I wouldn’t be able to manage it because the down hill at the start was so hard but i did it! Icing and elevating now.
 
@London Trainer Well done on the walk! It's tipping it down where I am so you are lucky to be able to get out and about. A bit of fresh air might and activity might help you sleep better tonight. :fingersx:
 
Wow, that's a whole lot of walking to do at just 3 weeks. You might have extra pain tonight. If so, spend the next few days doing nothing but your necessary daily activities. When sitting and laying down, ice and elevate the whole time. You can't ice too much as long as you have a thin cloth between your knee and the ice pack.

Ice is a natural pain and swelling reducer. Take advantage of it!
 
@Jaycey and @sistersinhim - surprised at how little extra pain the walk caused. Obviously I did use my crutches (haven’t been using them in the house at all though) but sadly still had a rubbish night! Pain was under control but just wake up every hour. Boring!

Anyway, managed to change a bed today AND go for another walk round the park with my daughter and the dog (about 30 minutes door to door - I’m very slow) and I was definitely more stable and a teeny tiny bit faster today. Teenagers don’t usually notice stuff like that so the fact my daughter said I was walking better means I must be walking tons better.

Got online physio session tomorrow. It’s with the same girl who’s been advising my shoulder and managed to persuade them to let her look at my knees as well. Really could do with face to face but that’s not happening right now. Might pay for a private face to face with my physio friend in another couple of weeks when I’m more mobile. My aunt really kindly said she’d help me out with some private sessions. As I’m self employed and don’t get any sick pay i very gratefully accepted.

Day 25 now and I’m definitely starting to feel that I’m turning a corner. Right leg still a lot more uncomfortable but at least I can lift it in and out of bed and good ROM with my heel slides. Bizarrely the more painful right leg is easier to move during heel slides - the left leg feels like a super tight band stopping it but it does move to same place. I’m very gentle with the heel slides and just do 5 at a time little and often throughout the day.
 
Wow - sounds like you are really progressing with your recovery. Well done! Easy does it with the physio. You are still very much in healing mode, not training for anything.

Let us know how it goes.
 
Walking is really good for a new knee (though not to excess at this point) and you’re doing that.

Regaining our ROM and strength is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom