Bilateral TKR BTKR post op 4 hours<

Good morning! I am glad you are doing well. Husbands are the best. This will definitely change the dynamics of your relationship and show you a new depth of love. I agree about how scary it was to come home - even with just one knee! I agree with karriB - I have an app on my phone to alarm for the pills. The brain fog?? Goodness! I am still having trouble concentrating! I was trying to read my devotion last night and realized I just read the same thing over THREE times! Hahaha! The brain fog is a small thing compared to the pain though! Stay on your pain meds and take your Miralax - or whatever you were told to take - it is just as important....

I hope your day is peaceful.
 
I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? I hope things are well and you are able to have some peaceful moments.
 
Still here...just did my at home exercises. Pt suggested I get up once an hour just to do a lap around kitchen. 1 Week post op tomorrow. Icing like 20 minutes once an hour trying to do everything they say but be smart too about exhaustion . Thanks for checking in


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @ScooperTR Sounds like you are doing really great. I just got my exact time for my Bilateral tomorrow. Be there at 5:15am and surgery at 7:30 am. I wasn't expecting to hear that since when Dr scheduled for Dec 8th. He told me he had 2 before me. He decided to do mine first since it takes longer. Oh well, he will be refreshed right? We got the house set for my return to home after discharged. My husband bought me a lift chair because I did not know how I was going to get out of my recliner. It just got real because my surgeon just called and I got to ask him lots of questions. I'm so nervous & anxious. I probably wont sleep at all. How many days were you in the hospital Sandy. Also, is your pain being controlled? Don't know if I will get to post tomorrow. I'll see you on the other side.
 
Is it ok to sleep anyway with your legs or do you have to hold straight? Mine just want to kinda fall open with sides of knees on bed? Sometimes I feel like I want curl up again.....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had to wear an immobilizer when I first had my knee done to keep it straight when I wanted to sleep on my side. Now, I used a bed pillow to support my leg if I lay on my side. Do not put anything under your knees. I find it better to keep them straighter - if I sleep with them bent, then in the morning, I am very stiff. I used to sleep in a semi curled postion on my side and I sure do miss doing that. Did they give you any restrictions? You will find what is comfortable for you. I do let my leg "flop" to the side like you are describing. Sometimes, I think it is more important to get some sleep! I do get up and walk around the house during the night to relax my leg if it gets tight - also to go to the bathroom! HA!
 
PT came today. Seem to be doing fine. Worked on pushing foot back. Wow but afterwards wanted to punch everyone I saw. I have been weepy today too. Just going with the flow and all the overwhelming emotions! Hope everyone is moving onward and upward!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Icing like 20 minutes once an hour trying to do everything they say but be smart too about exhaustion .
As referee54 said, 20 minutes isn't long enough. You need to ice for at least 45 minutes at a time. As long as you put a cloth between your knee and the ice, you can't do any harm.
Is it ok to sleep anyway with your legs or do you have to hold straight? Mine just want to kinda fall open with sides of knees on bed?
You can sleep any way you fell comfortable.
Worked on pushing foot back. Wow but afterwards wanted to punch everyone I saw.
It sounds as if you worked too hard. All you need to do at this stage is gentle Heel slides and how to do them
and walk around the house a little bit.
 
You seem to be doing great! Some hints just between us girls. :cool: I've found keeping a 'chamber pot' by my bed saves me a long walk at night to the bathroom. I also wear a nightgown most of the time and go commando making it even easier to pee--don't need to sit down. I just stand over and go. Much easier than getting up and down and pulling pants up and down. Just between us girls. It's just too hard with both knees done.
 
Wondering about the bad bruising on back of legs. Did realize it was even there until it just nags me a little and feels hard and sore. What causes that and does everyone have with knee replacement? I am 10 days post op


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Although it's the front of your knees that are opened up, the bruising is going to show up at the back of your legs, due to the effect of gravity as you lie down. You'll find that, as you get more mobile, some of that bruising will move "downhill" and appear down to your ankles.

That's all normal. Have a look at some of these glorious technicolour photos and you'll see what I mean!
Bruising after surgery
 
Day 13. Starting going upstairs at night and coming down in morning after shower... It has been so glorious. I am now awakening with these jolts that feel like I am flying off the bed. It happens once or twice a night. So scary because I think what if I wind up falling into the floor. Other than that I really can't complain. My PT is coming at 4:30 to get staples out. Ugh. Don't know why I am so nervous after all I've been through so far. Walking more around house. My husband looks tired, I so hate asking for help but he is so willing to do anything for me. I guess I am rambling. Going to rest before PT


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Getting the staples out didn't hurt at all. I promise! (Getting stitches out hurts a lot, IMHO.)
 
I am happy you are doing so well. Your own bed and a shower?? Priceless! I am sure your husband loves to help you and there will plenty of time for you to make it up to him. The important thing now is to rest so you can get back to being his partner sooner rather than later. I hope the staples came out easily!
 
Staples were a breeze.. Knees feel so much better. Got so worked up and excited on how good I felt that it wore me out Lol. In bed goodnight. Thanks everyone


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My pt was here today. Started on me walking with cane. Just need to get my confidence back. Also she reminded me to be sure and have plenty of meds through holidays as Dr offices usually close through several days. So call in those refills and have ready. Going to get my sweet husband to drive me around tonight to see lights. First outing so I know it will be short.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom