Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Izzie. Just caught up with your posts. Tough times for you - I'm so sorry. I'm sure you will feel better at home and yes - you will have more control.
Big hugs.
 
Hi, Izzie we are getting a little worried. Hope to hear from you soon.:sad:
 
Izzie,
I see you are on-line, I was so worried when I couldn't talk to you :sad: I'll give you a few moments
& I will check back later :) I hope everything is o.k :friends:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Everyone! I would have posted sooner, but I haven’t had my laptop until now. I am home :happydance: arrived late Wednesday afternoon. Wednesday morning when I “announced” that I wanted to leave the hospital, the question I was asked over and over again was, “is something wrong”. I said, no, I just need to leave, could someone please prepare the paper work, my boys will be here to pick me up. That was that! As I said in an earlier post, Wednesday morning, PT came to get me and I explained everything to her – she was very gentle and didn’t push. If she’d been available every day for me, it would have been a different story. She was originally assigned to me, but had to go out of town and then had sick children, so she missed a few days work. During that time I was with a different therapist almost each day. Today, I did some walking outside with my walker, then switched to my cane. In the house, I’ve been getting along very well with just a cane -- I have two, so sometimes I use them both. My new little house is quite small, so I can also use furniture to help get me from one spot to another. I’ve done some dish washing, a little cooking, and some basic exercises. I realize I cannot stand or sit for too long, that just makes the swelling worse. I’m elevating, icing and resting. Last night, I finally got some much needed rest and it felt great to be in my own bed! My staples are scheduled to be removed on Wednesday, the 29th. I think that will help with my ROM. Out-patient PT is also scheduled to start next week. Thank you all for thinking of me, being so supportive, and even planning to bust me out of the joint! :rotfl: I feel so blessed to have such great support from each of you - you guys are the best!!!
:thankyou:
 
jiimbojunk, Better days are here, I’m home. I have not used the CPM machine, but if it helps, I would use it. So good to hear you are walking so well! Pain meds UGH, I know you want to drop them, but as Josephine has been so great to point out to us – this is a time when they are needed. Take them to make yourself comfortable so that you can get your knee working properly, then gradually decrease. Your staples are out by now! Yay!! Mine come out Wednesday, the 29th. Those alcohol bags are really great. I used 2 cups water, 1 cup alcohol. So glad to hear you are doing well!!!
 
MissJ Hope you are doing well. I appreciate the advice about the TED hose. One of the nurses told me that I no longer had to wear them – a doctor said I could wear them if I wanted to but they weren’t necessary. The swelling in my legs, ankles and feet is obvious. The TED hose in my room disappeared. I asked for another pair and was told by OT that I was only allowed one pair. I then asked a nurse, she got a new pair for me right away. Before I left on Wednesday, OT arrived and said that my TED hose had been washed and handed them to me. So, I packed them along with the new pair given to me by the nurse. I will be wearing them every day, if I don’t see improvement in the swelling, I think I may opt to wear them at night also. Thanks again!!
:flwrysmile:
 
My way, Since I am now home, I am getting more rest. You are absolutely right, you’d think they would figure this stuff out, but I believe they are pushing because they must meet some sort of Insurance requirement . I know all PT is not the same and it does wonders. I’ve read some posts about great success and others, not so much. But – once you have your surgery and get to the point of doing gentle exercise, don’t do what I did – do not let them push you too hard. A little is okay, but not a lot. Each day after PT, I knew I was getting better. Managing stairs will be ongoing . Once you get the basics down, you will know what to do. Some have stayed a few days in hospital, then gone home having home health care come to them to do PT. You made me laugh so hard about busing me out!! Knotting the sheets together - and @Diana running in to get me!!! -- stopping at a chocolate buffet! :rotfl: Thanks so much for checking up on me!!!
 
Lee Thank you for offering to help me escape! I think I will do much better now that I’m at home.
:flwrysmile:
 
bev I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your tagging Josephine. It helped a lot. You are so sweet to offer your help! Now that I’m home, I think I’ll be improving and certainly getting more rest. I would have liked to have tossed a firecracker under that recliner! :heehee: Thank You!
 
new knee in June Thank you for always thinking of me. I’m home now and feeling much better. Everything is fine. Just didn’t have my laptop until now. I think I will improve much more now that I'm home. You are such an angel!!!
:angel:
 
Hopper I do feel much better now and having control over the meds is huge. Last night I got a good night’s sleep, in my own bed! :yay:
 
Izzie,
I am so happy to hear from you :happydance:You couldn't wait for us to bust you out? You had to do it
on your own :rotfl: I like your style!!!!
You will do so much better at home, it must of felt really good to get some fresh air. Why can't you have in-home care? Izzie, now that I know you are o.k............Please Do not ever do this to me again... :beg:I was really
worried about you :friends:
I know it's not right to put this all on your shoulders, but I really need to hear your words of comfort &
humor, it just makes my day !!!!!
So happy for you :happydance: :spin: :dancy: :yes!:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Very glad that you have managed to bust out and come home :egypdance: I'm sure you will do really well at home without feeling bullied into doing certain activities:martini:

I think that when a hospital/rehab starts being more annoying than "how will I manage without this" then it is time to go.
Keep on working at your own pace as it sounds like you are doing fine - and don't let the PTs bully you

Take care :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op
It is, after all, the comfiest place you can be. I remember when I first walked in the door, it was like a switch had been flipped and I felt 100% better; and I continued to feel that way through most of my recovery. Follow the mantra and have the Patience to give your knee the TIME it needs to recover.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op
 
Hi Izzie, how are you today? Hope your pain is getting less and less each day. Did you make it home OK yesterday? I really think pictures should be required for situations that are unusual-you know visual aids are more instructive than just hearing about it!!! Sounds like you are doing well in these early days of recovery-I'm so glad. Look forward to hearing from you as you settle in at home. Take care-big TN hug to you!!
 
new knee in June ... I am enjoying being home. Before I left the hospital on Wednesday, one of the nurses came to my room and told me to let her know when the boys arrived – she said she needed to take me out in a wheelchair. When the boys arrived, we packed up everything and walked right out. :heehee: Hope all is well with you. I know you are preparing for your upcoming surgery, then you will be reporting to all of us how well you are doing in recovery!
 
eaglesnest ... I’m glad to be home and looking forward to a quick recovery! Thank you for the hugs – here’s some coming your way ….. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom