Hello everyone,
It has been a long while since I have been on here and obviously a lot has happened for both me personally and the world as a whole.... One good, one terrible...
Firstly to those that have been affected by this horrible virus I wish you my best. There are plenty of opinions and sites that catered for this virus so that is where I will leave it.
My recovery.
Nothing short of amazing.
I guess I have been one of the very lucky people that have had such great results. As bad as the first couple of weeks were, really due to the 'catheter complications' rather then the knee recovery, I have had a dream run, really.
Things I think worth mentioning, in no particular order :
- Rest, Ice, Repeat
- I took it very easy, I let my body tell me what I could and could not do. This was important.
- My Wife was amazing and without her help and support I know it would have been a totally different recovery
- Just going to the toilet and back to bed is about all the exercise I did for the first couple of weeks with very short walks around the house
- Physio was ok, but of little real use.
- Rest, Ice, Repeat
Timeline when did things start to be normal :
- 2 weeks - stairs, driving, cycling - not a lot but as I felt ok to do it.
- 1 month - walking longer distances - standing still was not good at this stage. Easier to sit and stand, egress of vehicle etc
- Steady progress, ROM was achieved without any particular exercise or effort. Straightening I spent lots of time on, but have yet to achieve full flat, but it does not seem to affect day to day life.
- I am restored to an old version of myself, long before I had bad knees, this is better than I had hoped for
I have always been an avid motorcyclist and I am happy to say I am back doing what I love. It's like I have been given a second chance with these new knees and I am taking full advantage.
Some things I was pleasantly surprised by :
- I can balance on one leg, which I couldn't do when I went for a job medical, which started me on this journey
- I was crouched down just the other day, putting air in my tyres, and realized what I was just doing, I had not done that in years !
- Ascending and descending ladders...
I am back to a point that my knees are a 'normal' part of my life, something that was missing for many years and caused great pain and stopped everyday life from happening.
I am very happy with the results and wanted to share that with people, as there never seems to be many good stories, just people that are having issues. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones, I certainly feel so.
For those having issues I do hope you get them sorted.
Again, I am so glad this site existed when I started my journey it helped so much.
My Journey
Thanks everyone.