Revision TKR Bruising 3 years out

@MsPhyne Oh trust me I thank God every day that I'm not at day one.. Oh that was awful Lol but nice to be reminded of how bad it WAS because it helps me realize that even tho I'm still in quite a bit of pain, I've still come a long ways in the past 8 weeks. :egypdance: Having a supportive husband is a definite plus. He's a real blessing, goes to work and then comes home and does my job for me, and my daughter gives me leg massages which feel like heaven Lol. I go for short walks in the evenings (once around our mobile community which is pretty small). My hubby always makes sure I've got ice so I've been icing quite a bit. My PT is almost over, just one week to go. My bend is awesome, I believe its at least 125° if not more because I can achieve almost a complete bend. Still walking gimpy tho Lol and I still can't straighten it but I know that will come in time with plenty of patience :yes: I just keep up with the :ice::elevate: and :chillpill: and I can keep the pain at a tolerable level. :)
 
125° already?! That's awesome!!! TKR recovery is an ordeal, but it sounds you are going to have an excellent outcome, possibly better than most. Hang in there!
 
I'm at 115 after a hard day at the job.so I'm glad. I just need this patella stronger so I can left to straddle my motorcycle and dance!. I am doing a little leg press and resistance bands on my own. I'm not tight in my thighs and legs like I used to be. Got to build muscle back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
 
I know it seems like I'm full of questions, which I guess I am lol the last almost 9 weeks have been an interesting experience. But I do now have a few more questions for @Josephine and @Celle the past couple days my leg has been doing strange things. I have bruises pop up out of nowhere, small ones, and they do go away but I never know where they came from as I don't remember bumping into anything. Also I've started getting these little spider veins. They're tiny and not raised but at times I have so many my leg almost looks bruised and other times just a few and then they go away. I've also started getting a small red rash next to my incision and it also doesn't stick around. Is this all normal? Or is this something that needs to be checked out by my doctor IF I can get an appointment to see him anyway.
 
What are you taking in the way of blood thinning drugs (heart drugs like Plavix, Warfarin or Coumadin, or NSAIDs like Celebrex, Aleve, Motrin or Advil)?

I do suggest you make an appointment with your surgeon or your GP to discuss. Any time you get unexplained bruising, it is important to check it out.
 
I have absolutely no idea what's going on there, honey. It needs someone to actually look at it.
I've found that descriptions over the internet are always very misleading!
 
@Xanaphia - I don't think we can diagnose this. I think you need to discuss it with your doctor.
 
Yeah I kinda figured trying to see the doctor would be best but I had to ask anyway just in case anyone else has had it happen before to them. Thanks :)
 
I am so glad I see my doctor tomorrow. Idk what is going on, I'm almost 10 weeks
Out and I'm still having the worst sharp pain and cramping at night when I try to sleep. Pretty sure he's going to say it's no big deal blah blah because this doctors office doesn't care but I can only hope that maybe just this once they take me seriously
 
If you do not get any good answers from your OS, you will want to see your GP.
 
I seen my OS and he was a tad bit rude. Said the only reason I'm still in pain is because I'm still taking my pain meds which makes no sense to me at all. He informed me that this prescription is the last one they're giving me. He gave me norco 5 and 800mg ibuprofen. Also said I am not allowed to use either my walker or my cane anymore and need to just get used to walking without help. So I've been doing what he said and walking without aide the past several days, we just got done moving which was a huge chore and I am defiantly feeling it. He also said there's no need to nice it any longer bUT that advice I am ignoring as it is still quite swollen . I'll give up the ice when the swelling goes away. I am down to only taking my pain meds once per day, twice on bad days and I just use the ibuprofen when the pain isn't bad enough to need narcotics. I think I am making good progress as I can bend it almost all the way and my straightening has improved as well
 
Also said I am not allowed to use either my walker or my cane anymore and need to just get used to walking without help.
If you are limping you need an assistive device, you are only reinforcing your limp. When you are tired you may find you need a assistive device. You are in the best position to know if you need a cane or walker, you know if your knee hurts and/or you are limping.
Did the OS give you any answer your questions about the bruising and spyder veins?
 
That's awful he treated you rudely @Xaniaphia. I would be getting a second opinion if he didn't give you adequate information about your bruising, red area around your incision and other concerns you have.

I love my OS but held him responsible when his assistant didn't handle my pain meds adequately at 2wks post-op. I told him in a polite but quite serious way he wouldn't be replacing any more joints for me. A bold move for me. What I got in return was a sincere apology and his undivided attention for the remainder of our time together! Now we're back on track! I think sometimes these surgeons just need an attitude adjustment from their EMPLOYERS! US!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz I totally agree, I believe that the OS is responsible for the actions of those he employees. There are so many physicians that are amazing but their staff not so much!
 
Unfortunately though there are OS that just are plain rude and it seems uncaring bordering on just being totally inept as my first OS was. No matter how many times I went back to see him or talk to his 'nurse' I was told everything was ok. Well it wasn't hence my revision with a wonderful OS with a extremely helpful staff.
 
It's one thing to have write that check for co-payment each visit- but to come out of there feeling like I had more problems and feeling more defeated than before being there...

[Bonesmart.org] Bruising 3 years out
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you're doing ok on the reduced pain meds. It is common for us to need at least some for 8 weeks or more. I took one before bed for about 12 weeks with tylenol during the day. You might try walking without the cane for part of the day and then use the cane later as you become more fatigued. Or for outside the house. Gradually add cane-less time as you see how it goes.
These things don't happen on an arbitrary schedule. :doh:
 
He told me very bluntly that by using my cane or walker that I was inhibiting my ability to learn how to walk on it correctly. Actually what I've found this past week and a half is the pain has increased and so has the swelling. Icing and elevating does little for this, but then I'm up quite a bit, especially now as I no longer have my husband to take care of things for me because we are living in seperate houses. The past week has been absolute hell because now not only do I have more pain and swelling but I also have extreme constant anxiety and severe depression and my psych doctor will do next to nothing to ease the anxiety so I can sleep properly at night. Some days, most days I really hate texas, the doctors do not treat their patients well at all. As for the spider veins and brusing all that just went away on its own. My doctor of course had nothing to say about it at my visit. Typical for here really. I have noticed that sometimes my incision turns a purple color, not sure if that's nor AL or not
 
My scar used to change color quite often. If I was cold, it went purple. If I did some extra activity, it became a deeper pink. It's interesting, but not really significant.

I'm sorry you're feeling depressed and anxious. :console2: :friends:
I hope some of those feelings lift soon.
[Bonesmart.org] Bruising 3 years out
Things are going to get better. :loveshwr: :flwrysmile:
 
Hope things 'lighten up' for you soon @Xanaphia. It's awful you don't feel the support you need from you MD's. Be as proactive as possible even regarding your recovery, health & happiness if it means finding other MD's to care for you. Thinking of You~
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom