TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today a friend of mine wondered why the fracture wasn't treated surgically and I figure there was no way it would be a good idea to operate on a bone that already has osteomyelitis.
Actually that's not such a problem as you might think. It could be externally fixed perfectly safely using an Ilizarov external fixator. It just uses fine wires in strong parts of the bone to fix it.This looks scary but actually patients cope remarkably well with it and the only thing they need to do is to clean the pin sites frequently.

[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies


But from what you have said it really does need fixing. With all that movement and the prior infection, the fracture ends will heal off and it will never heal properly. I strongly suggest you look into getting the opinion of a trauma/external fixator specialist.
 
Brownie,
I would have clicked agree 10x on Josephines post if I could.
My leg (tibia) that I broke, is crooked. If I could go back in time, I would have had it pinned. (1974)
Wishing you all the best, and continued healing.
 
Thanks, Jo....you put medical words to the gut feeling I had that these bones should NOT be moving around!

Brownie.....please take Jo's advice and locate an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in trauma recovery. You can use our clinic locator and do some calling. You don't want to let this go, okay?
 
Ladies, I spent a portion of my career as sister in charge of a plaster room. It wasn't a long tenure but I saw plenty of young chaps whose pots had broken and they never reported it so this is what happened to their tibiae. I was working in a place called High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) which is infamous for it's very steep hills all over the district. We always had to apply an extra layer of plaster back and front because the area was so tough on the casts! I was frequently amazed at how these young patients wouldn't be at all concerned that their casts had converted from a one piece to a two piece appliance! :shrug:
 
Brownie having a fracture where the bones move in this way sounds horrible - should you be bearing any weight on the leg at all?

My doctors had me totally non-weightbearing when they thought the prothesis stem had cracked my tibia - luckily in my case it turned out to be bone marrow inflammation from the stem

Take very good care of yourself :console2:
 
Hi EVeryone
Well I went to my OS yesterday, they squeezed me in. I drove myself and crutched to the car. I enjoyed driving, first time in months. I had this tiny thing on my skin next to tibial incision where something was trying to poke through. I was worried it was some jagged bone. He said it's probably scar tissue. If it was going to pop through the skin, it would have then and there! I told him my concern about the bones still moving and he again, said that is okay. He liked it that I am keeping the boot on really tight. I have discomfort across my foot where the toes meet the foot and am really sore there today and was all night. He thought that was from the cast and boot.
I have felt the same way as all of you about those bones not being not being fixed solid but I am going with him on this. He knows it's still moving and doesn't want to intervene although I have not asked him specifically. I thought maybe yesterday he would suggest putting a cast on it since I was concerned about the movement. I see my rheumatologist on November 14th. She is the doctor at UCLA who sent me to him. She will look at my xrays and hear my complaints. If she thinks something else needs to be done she will speak up. So I am just continuing to use the crutches at a minimum and keeping my leg quiet so it can heal. My nurse friends and I were thinking about that same apparatus that Josephine posted! Over here we have a Hoffman device that is similar. Maybe he doesn't want any surgical intervention because of the osteomyelitis. Maybe there is a waiting period on that? I don't know but I think if I am not healed up by my appointment Dec. 9th he would consider a Plan B?
I cancelled my PT evaluation today. I would have to crutch a ways and I feel like I want another week to mend before going in. So I go to my first PT on Monday. I keep thinking that every day that goes by there will be more bone growth. Yeah!
 
If memory serves me correctly, Ilizarov and Hoffman had some connection.
Maybe he doesn't want any surgical intervention because of the osteomyelitis
This device is designed to be used on infected legs. There is minimal intervention bone-wise. The wires used are only 1.5mm in diameter.
 
If I could go back in time, I would have had it pinned. (1974)
And we could meet for lunch, say half way between Kirkwood and Truckee. Camp Richardson maybe, they still had the best shakes ever at that time.
 
Soooo, Brownie51, what is the good word (I hope)? Do I need to call you? I so wish we were closer, but when you come into Santa Monica on the 9th, lets try to meet for lunch or something!
 
Hi Marianne, how are you doing?
I hope you are starting to feel more comfortable ,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :)
 
Hi Everyone
Sorry I haven't been on Bonesmart. I wish I had because it cheers me up so much. I saw my OS on the 9th. Hadn't been on here to see @Bonequilter's suggestion for lunch!

Dr. gave me the okay to start weight bearing and wean off crutches according to the pain. Well, now that I have a grand baby I got crazy and over did it that whole week. I was so excited to get things done. By Saturday, a week ago, my leg was miserable. So this whole past week I have had to take it easy, get down the swelling etc. Just being up in a chair, the tibia and foot will swell. The pain continues and I am so upset to still need my Norco.

I go back to work on Jan. 7 and I am so afraid I will be miserable at work. I can't take pain med at work, will have to rely on ibuprofen or something non narcotic. It's only 3 weeks away. Dr Cyran told me I would over do it at times, and to just back off and rest. So everything I'm going through is a normal part of the process but what a disappointment. I had dreams of just walking normal once he released me to bear weight.

He told me that he broke his wrist badly and had to have pins/surgery. He said it was a year before he could use his wrist normally such as opening a door with just the one wrist/arm. I am so glad to hear that so I won't worry that something is wrong..just part of the process and it won't happen over night.

I guess this time of year is tough because I want to decorate and wrap and have things ready for Christmas yet the place is a mess. My caregiver brought in all my Christmas boxes for me and I have all my wrapping supplies and presents in dining room ready to wrap…but my leg hurts! Aaachhh!!!

Just writing to you all, knowing that although we are not daily friends, the friendship and caring is there, I am feeling better. Reading about others with health issues who still do things although in constant pain worse than mine is such a help. When I start feeling depressed I tend to isolate myself, from friends and family. Who wants to hear someone complain for a solid six months now…ugh! I want my old life back! But I worry that my old life is gone and that I will be stuck with knee and tibia pain forever.

I have to keep wearing the boot on my left leg so I wear a normal shoe on my right. Then I use one or two crutches. Anyway I went to a friend's house last night and was tired of wearing a tennis shoe so I tried wearing a boot that has about a 1¾ inch heel. It didn't bother my knee! So maybe there is hope of wearing a dress shoe or shoes with heels once my tibia is healed.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas lights and holiday season. Hopefully getting some baking done. Do any of you use a chair in the kitchen? Curious. I ordered one but the cylinder and castors had been stolen out of the box so I sent it back. I didn't ask for a replacement because it just seemed to big for my galley kitchen. But my knees and tibia both both bother me for standing and chopping and stirring etc. Does anyone have a stool that works well, must roll.

Okay that's all and hope you are all doing well!
xoxox Marianne
 
I can see why you're low. But how great that the doc told you his personal story and that reassured you.

I haven't really looked for a stool for the kitchen, but I do figure out parts of tasks I can do sitting at the kitchen table. Also, I try to break things up into portions if I can. For example, chop vegetables, take break. Do next thing, take break.
I'm working on some refrigerator cookies this weekend. I'll get the dough ready today and bake tomorrow.
 
When I taught with two bad knees, Pat went to Sam's and bought a padded tractor type seat on wheels that would not tip! It worked quite well! It is in the automotive part and you can look at Sam's online. It was a lifesaver!:happydance:
 
Well, MaryAnne, it's quite made my day to hear from you at last. I'm still watching this thread so don't keep us waiting so long for the next post, eh?
I can't take pain med at work, will have to rely on ibuprofen or something non narcotic.
Why do you guys never think of Tylenol? It's a very affective analgesic and non-narcotic so would be perfect for using when working. But do take 1,000mg four times a day to be effective.
Does anyone have a stool that works well, must roll.
As for this, they use such things in the OR! You can get these or maybe just a simple, cheap office chair from Ikea or Walmart.

[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
 
Marianne, we have a stool in the kitchen too---it is from Target cost about $15. Sometimes I am sick of moving it about--we have a small kitchen, but it would be handy for right now. I know you have an office chair, why not put it up as high as it will go and wrap the presents while sitting? At least the small ones!!

I am glad to hear that things are looking up, although not perfect.
 
Marianne, so glad to hear you are doing a little better! I've thought about a stool for my kitchen, but haven't got around to it. I think it's a good idea, though. I'd have to get one of my grandsons to haul it into the house and put it together for me. My ineptitude at putting things together is legendary and a subject of much humor in my family and a source of great frustration for me.

You said you were going back to work in January? What kind of work do you do, will you have to be on your feet a lot? I hope it works out well for you and doesn't make you miserable.

I think of you often -- you have been through so much. You're in my prayers.

Peace and love to you,

Milli
 
Glad to see your update.
Those bones take 6 - 8 weeks before you can weight bear, but no they are not through healing. When I was the tender age of 23 my "healed" tibia had a hissy fit :hissy: when after 4 months I went horse back riding.
Find yourself a rolling stool, and make yourself comfortable in the kitchen so you can do more.
Enjoy the Christmas season and your new Grandbaby!

Rolling stool tip: I use them daily, and grab the stool between my legs before sitting down, keeps it from rolling away. Learned this the hard way, hitting the floor when wearing slippery pants.
:mer xm::santa sleigh::santa:
 
Dear Brownie,
Congratulations on the new baby:) I hope your leg is doing well, It's been such a long
Recovery for you.Thinking of you:friends:Hope you & your family have a :mer xm:&
A joyous New Year !!!!!
Diana:xmas-kitty::snow win:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom