TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I remember going to that back in the late 70's where people dressed up as the characters in the theater. I was traumatized by those huge red lips on the big screen! Yeah, that fits for today after being awake in pain during the night then having to be at PT by 08. Aaaaacccchhhh! Anyone remember Clockwork Orange and Solyent Green? Double aacccchhhh!
 
Yuki I went to Dr. Andrew Spitzer at Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles.
Roxi I am not sure about going back in phases. I've been advised (work friends) to wait and go back when I can be 100%. So I will go back at 12 weeks, minus one day. I would like to go back 4 days a week, staying home Wednesdays for 2 weeks. Hopefully 12 weeks will do it. I will increase activities naturally around Christmas and if my knee swells, then I will have to reconsider. I don't want to jeopardize my recovery! God gave me 3 knees (tee hee) and I can't afford to lose another one!
 
Yuki I heard that Dr. Klapper at Cedars is super, the nurses recommended him for next time. I also had consultations with Dr. Gilbert at Dorr Institute and a doctor at Hoag in Newport who does volume. Too bad but Kerlan Jobe does not currently have a knee replacement surgeon. If I am going to be critical of anyone I would have to do it in a privately!
 
How long did everyone (with Right sided TKR) wait to drive. My orders are 4 weeks.
Marianne, I drove at 3 weeks. I had more trouble getting in and out of the car than driving. I was able to drive for only short amounts at that time, 10 minutes max, but each week got better. I can now drive 35-40 minutes and I am OK although stiff when I get out of the car. So I have to stand for a minute or so and then I limp worse for a couple of minutes until I loosen up. I returned to work at 10 weeks and Mon-Thu 4.5-5 hours per day and I was exhausted. I will see if this week is any better. I don't have anywhere near an active job like you do as I develop software so am sitting but that makes me stiff and swell so I am not sure what is worse, sitting all day or up and down all day.
 
Thanks Lisa. I think I am going to drive myself to LA (35 miles each way) on Thursday for my 4 week appt so my daughter doesn't have to take me. I've only driven local so far and you are right, for me it's getting out of the car that is the hard part. My new knee comes out last! I do everything so slow. There is no "hurry" left in me right now!
 
Marianne, You got that right, there is no "hurry" in me at all. Mornings are the hardest for returning to work for me because it really takes me a long time to get going. I am stiff and achy first thing so I need to stretch my leg for awhile and take my pain med and wait for that to kick in. Then it just takes a lot longer to do everything else, dress, do the stairs, get my food for work together, etc. I know you said in an earlier post that you might wait to go back to work until you were 100% but I think you will find that no matter when you go back it will take some out of you. If you feel you need to work a full 8 hour day right awya I would see if you can work just Tue and Thu the first week and Mon wed Fri the second week just to ease back into it. Also, take care on that long drive tomorrow. Maybe add a planned in stop where you can get out of the car and walk a little?
 
Marianne in the UK it is normally six weeks after your check up you are allowed to drive. I dont drive an automatic i drive a manual which is a bit more complicated. O Ilove that line " there is no hurry left in me" O I can agree with that. So much.
 
Yuki I went to Dr. Andrew Spitzer at Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles.
Roxi I am not sure about going back in phases. I've been advised (work friends) to wait and go back when I can be 100%. So I will go back at 12 weeks, minus one day. I would like to go back 4 days a week, staying home Wednesdays for 2 weeks. Hopefully 12 weeks will do it. I will increase activities naturally around Christmas and if my knee swells, then I will have to reconsider. I don't want to jeopardize my recovery! God gave me 3 knees (tee hee) and I can't afford to lose another one!

It sounds like you have a very good plan---going back and taking a day off in the middle is s solid idea. Many of us---myself included---were in too much of a hurry to go back to work; if you have the time off to take, take it and go back in better physical and psychological condition.
 
Ha ha Lisa, no stopping on the way to LA to walk around! I would get mugged! I go on Thursday. I will try a little drive tomorrow and see how I do, maybe have my daughter take me afterall. I have learned on BS that the advice I get is always good and I should listen!
I have to have a "sub" nurse at work. So it's a big deal, having someone work for me. But I think I can swing having a Wednesday sub for a couple weeks. I am on private disability which is fine financially (I think!) so I can go back when I am ready. I do feel pressure to get back but not to the point that I want to risk my progress.
Tim you are right, psychological too! Actually my brain is going to mush now so I'd better get back sooner than later! I have started watching a soap opera. My sis in law watches one so I am trying to have something to talk to her about when she visits at Thanksgiving. And they are steamy now! That's all they do! Like RABBITS! Such stupid plots I can't even believe it! What my brain needs is some exercise! Frustrating but it will come around. I am also watching too much news. This Petrieaus/Benghazi thing is occupying me overtime. At first I was still reading my work email, which is being attended by my sub but now I don't even want to look at it. Soon enough!
Robin I have automatic and my quads are doing well now so doing okay. It's getting that leg out of the car that's tricky! I forget to move the seat back and then have to drag it out like it was a forgotten parcel.
 
Marianne, I had friends loan me DVDs. So I have worked my way throguh Inspector Lewis, Downton Abbey, Foyle's War, etc. It was great having those and much better than the TV.
 
I have to check out Inspector and Foyles War. Loved Downton Abby. I love all the British series, went back and watched them from the begining on Netflix. Can't get enough of them. Ever watched Ballykissangel? Divine!!!
Now I'm putting my CDs in alpha order...first name last name?
I forgot the soap today! Enthralled with CIA/FBI scandal and politics.
Just got the Heiress (1949) so going to watch that.
Thanks for the good ideas my friend Lisa!
 
Had my one month followup with my OS today. We talked about return to work, and he suggested that I could possibly return after the first of the year (that would be about ten weeks), given that I work a school schedule, but that I should see how I am feeling should I need the full twelve weeks. He reiterated what a huge procedure this is and its impact on all aspects of life (this is why I love this guy - he is a realist and is in line with everything that folks here have shared). Sadly, my husband was less than thrilled at the idea of my being home for another six or so weeks; he works from home right now (freelance, so is always looking for a new client), and is feeling pressure "to tend to me" that affects his work. Asking the obvious question, "what were you expecting was going to happen?" wasn't too helpful! Isn't it interesting that the unrealistic goals we might put on ourselves might also extend to family members expecting more from us than we can give?

Anyway, I am confident that once I start to drive, which I intend to try this week, I will not need the level of attention that he is thinking about, but it's created some stress that neither of us need. It's additionally interesting because I am an extremely independent person who has difficulty asking for help when I need it, so under these circumstances, my need for help has been real.

Anyway, I'm sharing this mostly to vent. It will be fine in the long run, but I wanted to put this out there in case others are experiencing differing expectations from family members or others.
 
Hi,
I am a teacher assistant and I went back to work at 13 weeks. I really wished I could have waited another 3-4 weeks since those first few weeks were really hard and I was in a lot of pain every night when I got home. Just my own experience though.
Good luck!
laurie
 
Spin during those last few weeks you aren't going to need anything from him anyway. You will just be focusing on your PT and getting stronger. I started driving over the weekend and it was fine. At this point I can manage everything on my own. You can order groceries to be delivered free from Vons if your husband doesn't want to do the shopping. And just eat simple foods that don't need alot of prep. It's amazing how easy it can be if you keep it simple. I am just using the alcohol ice packs now instead of going through 15 pounds of ice a day with my PolarCare unit.
I felt angry just reading what you wrote about your man. I hope he needs a new knee soon. And you will have my permission to go to Figi while he is recuperating. You need to go back when you want to go back. With Christmas vacation you would be home during that time anyway. Would you go back Jan. 7th like me or earlier? I am hoping that is going to be the perfect time to go back. I thought Jan. 7th was 12 weeks minus one day for me. 10 weeks would be Christmas day I think. Wait till the other ladies read your post. They are going to be fuming! :hairpulling:
 
Brownie, you are a sweetie. I agree with you - I will be fine (Like you, I am already doing so much on my own as it is). I'm not making excuses, but my DH has been pretty stressed with the (un)employment scene, so that is where some of this comes from. I also think there's some jealousy because I work for a great school system and get this time off for my recovery (I have a jillion unused sick days after working in the system for 25 years), whereas his now being self-employed/freelance, he does not have the same kind of benefits. So, this too shall pass, but I really appreciate your empathy!

I am going to play it by ear to see if I can return on Jan. 2nd, but it's still a long way off. Just for the sake of getting into the flow of the new year, I'd like to return when the kids come back, but if that's not right for me, then I'll give myself the extra time. I think you are correct in counting the days; the school vacation week wouldn't count toward the 12 weeks as far as medical leave goes.
 
Marianne, not sure what shape your polar ice unit is, but for mine I could fit a half gallon milk jug and several water bottles of water that I froze and would reuse them. No need to make tons of ice. After awhile the plastic jug would leak, but they lasted about a week or so before I had to replace them. I would only have to put new frozen ones in twice a day.
 
I began driving around 4 1/2 weeks, and went back to work part time around the same time. I'm now at 7 weeks and am back to work full-time. I mostly sit at my desk, but frequently move around the business to talk with co-workers or to take paperwork to the boss. I also have my own office and the boss brought me a box to keep under the desk for elevating my leg, and I have ice packs in the freezer there too. Each day was getting better and better until today - the cortisone is wearing off of the knee being replaced next month and is causing me pain. Because of the pain, it's throwing off my learned proper gait that I got with my new knee, now causing it to hurt too. UGH! But I'm still better off than I was 8 weeks ago! The sleeping issue is what kept me from going back to work any sooner than I did. Sometime around the 5 - 6 week mark my stepfather recommended Advil PM. I took two and slept for 12 HOURS! I got up, ate lunch, then fell asleep for two more hours! After that, I felt much more human and able to go to work. My sleep has gotten back to a more normal routine since then, with only the occasional bad night.
 
Debbie, I should have tried that. I put too many bottles in my last unit and burned out the motor when it rose above the water. But maybe just a couple would help keep it cold.
Good for you Tracey. My job isn't knee friendly so it's different in my case. You are lucky you have an understanding boss!
My "other" knee is hurting now too. I have my 4 week check tomorrow so will see what he wants to do. I sure wish I get all this over with at once. I hate to think about have Knee #2 done in the summer when I'm off.
Spin, that's too bad about your husband not feeling good.
 
After my PKR I started part time telework after 3 weeks and went back full time at 6 weeks. I have a desk job where I can elevate my leg and took the home made ice packs with me. I'll be 3 weeks tomorrow and will start teleworking part time next week. Return to full time is up in the air at this point.
 
I say if you have the time and can afford it take it... spend time with your new knees... Everyday I have to get up and go to work I am just like Lisa, it takes me longer to get going because I have both knees to stretch and "wake up" then driving is a slow process getting into and out of the vehicle... again she is right.. nothing happens fast anymore...
My job is sitting and getting up now and then, but sitting stiffens me up too.. it's hard to realize this was a major surgery and typical recovery is at least 6 months.. I am just hitting 3 months the end of Nov... and trying to act like it's been 6 but it's not working in my favor.. everytime I do a little too much (which doesn't take alot) I am down the next 2 days!
I do have to say the first time I drove by myself and went to the store was after 6 weeks and I felt liberated and free! My hubby has been a rock and so supportive but he sees what happens when I try to do too much so although he is tired at the end of his long work day he still makes us dinner and tends to me... unfortunately we just found out he will be getting layed off the end of the month from his government contract job so now even more stress around our hose but he is still my rock! :-)
Everyone has their own tolerance level for what you can withstand and feel comfortable doing, my independence was important to me and I also have great support from my boss as far as when I need to head home to put my legs up and relax.. I can work in the middle of the night when I can't sleep, which is getting a little better... average about 4 to 5 hours straight now... Yay!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom