TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who has returned to work (admittedly, in a wheelchair) 2 weeks after his TKR.
He told me that rest, ice, elevation and medication by the clock is "for wimps".

I'm worried about him, but he doesn't take advice easily. I guess he'll have to find out the hard way!
That ignoring advice of better qualified people is "for idiots"?

Hmmm, I resign from the Diplomatic Service...
 
Well, there is that lack of sleep thing. Not that I'm not trying! As for leaping, Roy is right; however, for me, a leap is more like getting my leg over the car door threshold to get in. I'm getting better though - my husband doesn't have to roll me into a modified fetal position and spin me in anymore. :scary:
 
Hi Brownie. I see you had you knee done 3 days after me so it will be nice to follow your progress. I do know we should never compare but it would be nice to see if we are going thru some of the stages. Thankfully I do not work as it must be a dilemma trying to decide when is the best time to return as it is quite a lengthy recovery period for TKR. I am so looking forward to Christmas this year without the awful 24 hour nagging arthritic pain. Keep icing and elevating.:angel:
 
I was told that the PT would let me know when I was ready to drive from a physical standpoint and that I needed to be off narcotics. The first time I tried to drive was around 4 weeks and it was quite painful so I waited another week. At that point it wasn't too bad...
 
I've been stepping back to work and this week is my 8-hour week. Today was actually 8.5 and my started killing me. Desk job with occasional walk arounds. All I wanted to when I got home tonight was cry. Since returning to work, my leg, from the bottom of my ankle to the top of my hip hurts like a VERY sore muscle. I'm just sad. My back hurts. My leg hurts. I have that new sensitive area on my knee that feels a bit like a bee sting when anything touches it - but just sometimes. Whine. Whine. Sorry.
 
I had a BTKR going on five years ago. I had to be off of narcotic pain meds---about four weeks---and I had to be strong enough to make an emergency stop. My first little foray on my own was to a few shops around town; I was gone maybe a half an hour---I came back exhausted.

AS for returning to work---you have been given some very sage advice. I teach and returned to the classroom at eight weeks, which was much, much too early. I was stiff and sore at the end of the day (actually, more like from the middle of the day on!) I should have waited until I was at least twelve weeks out from the surgery.

Looking back, not only was I miserable most of the time after a day at school---I honestly believe that my early return to the classroom slowed down my recovery.
 
Oh, Katy, I feel for you. I walked in your shoes. I actually bought myself a recliner desk chair so that I can elevate. I ice and elevate while I am working on soothing. When I'l on the phone, I keep my right leg up, and put my left leg down. I don't know, it makes me feel more like i am in work mode. :heehee: I get up at least every half hour. The days that i am too busy and forget to get up that often, I get stiff. I came here and vented, too. i also cried a lot. It does get better. I promise.
 
Well, there is that lack of sleep thing. Not that I'm not trying! As for leaping, Roy is right; however, for me, a leap is more like getting my leg over the car door threshold to get in. I'm getting better though - my husband doesn't have to roll me into a modified fetal position and spin me in anymore. :scary:

That was another mistake that I made---I went back to teaching on about 2 1/2 hours sleep! I refused to take anything for my lack of sleep---boy, was that a mistake.

I called my OS who chuckled and then wrote me a script for Ambien; I took it for only ten nights and that re-established my sleep pattern.
 
I've been stepping back to work and this week is my 8-hour week.

I feel for you! It took me a good two weeks before I wasn't coming home and collapsing. And I still have some chemical instant ice packs in my desk in case my knee starts giving me fits. Take every opportunity to put your feet up, if even for a short time as it adds up.

And I missed my afternoon naps. It didn't matter when I wasn't working if I didn't sleep as I could take a nap whenever I needed. And when I started back, for some reason, they frowned at me falling asleep at my desk, or in the middle of a conversation. :whistle:
 
Hi Brownie, I am a newbie to this site and had my RTKR the same day as you. I had the exact same questions that you posted, about going back to work, and when to drive, so thanks for posting them! I appreciated the responses given here, as well as the article about things to consider about going back to work. I am a school psychologist and work with very young children. I was sort of thinking I would also be able to return after Jan.1st, but I guess I need to see how my progress unfolds, and try to plan for a graduated re- entry to work. I am seeing my OS this week for the first time since I was d/c from hospital. Looking forward to that. I also agree that this site is an amazing find. Thanks everyone.
 
I would say that it is better to return to work a little later than you would like to, rather than a little too early; I did just that---I returned to the classroom at eight weeks and I learned a very valuable lesson---I should have waited a few more weeks, at least.

I understand it when one has to return to work due to sick days, employment issues, etc. but the knee takes much, much longer to heal than we like, and thelonger you can wait---if it is possible, the better it will be for both you and the surgical knee. Ten to twelve weeks "on the sideline" is the suggested time to wait before returning to work---if you have to return earlier, understand that your progress may slow down and yo will be stiffer and more sore than you would expect it to be.
 
Welcome Spingirl! I agree with Tim. Just for the embarrassment end of it I'd rather go back a little later than earlier and end up having to take more time. It's already been a saga with my knee and I'd like to put it behind me when I go back.
Spingirl will be 12 weeks minus a day when I go back on Jan. 7. I'm hoping I am feeling normal, both knee and in general. It's been almost 4 weeks and I still don't feel up to going out for a meal yet I hear others do that at 2 weeks!
 
Thanks, Tim and Brownie, and everyone else for your insights and experiences about when to return to work. I too am aware of the "time warp" feeling. I'm not used to having sleep disruption like this, so that is a factor. Last night was not so bad, though, so today is a good day. A ten minute walk in the sunshine helped a lot! Brownie, I hope you feel up to going out for lunch or something easy soon. It did me a world of good to get out!
 
I feel like a real wimp when I read all this. I was off work for about 22weeks! I probably could have been back a bit sooner but I found that my days were filled with exercising and resting! It did help that I was getting paid when off. Good luck whatever you decide.
 
Wow Nancy.. 22 weeks of paid time off... I want to move to Scotland!! :-)

Marianne, I had both knees done at same time and unfortunately thought I was super human and went back working from home at 3 weeks, mind you I am a desk jockey (IT Manager) so I do most of my work on reports and managing staff, I went back into the office at around 6 weeks with the intention to only work 4-6 hours tops a day.. well you get there and before you know it its 8 hours and your knees are screaming at you, so my nights were spent icing, elevating and knocking myself out with pain meds... great company i was for my hubby... poor guy was working his long 10 hour days and still coming home to make us dinner and take care of me...
So moral of this story Marianne is if you can avoid it, we all know financial dependencies dictate sometimes for us, but if youc an afford it stay home and rehabilitate your knee... otherwise you will be spending all time away from the office icing and elevating which is no fun...
 
Spingirl a walk in the sunshine sounds good. I wasted my time up running into Kohl's for a comforter. I looked like the walking dead. Now icing then next I'm going to water my roses. Then ice...
Nancy, good for you! Don't feel guilty!
 
Brownie51. I see you are in southern California. If you don't mind, can I please ask who your doctor is? How did you like him or her?
As for the phased going back to work thing, it worked out great for me! I worked M/W/F only 4 hours a day and then I had PT on T/Th. I'm getting ready for my other knee and am currently interviewing doctors. I think I already made my decision but another name wouldn't hurt. Keep icing and elevating and you will be fine.
 
Thanks, Tim and Brownie, and everyone else for your insights and experiences about when to return to work. I too am aware of the "time warp" feeling. I'm not used to having sleep disruption like this, so that is a factor. Last night was not so bad, though, so today is a good day. A ten minute walk in the sunshine helped a lot! Brownie, I hope you feel up to going out for lunch or something easy soon. It did me a world of good to get out!


Did somebody say, "Time Warp"? Well, here is just the thing to take your mind off of the sleeplessness!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom